Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7713, 2018-03-07

CONTESTANTS
Lane Flynn, a business owner from Atlanta, Georgia
Emily Perez, a graduate student of library science from Wappingers Falls, New York
Jack Rice, a marketing associate from Portland, Oregon (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. It's amazing how quickly things turn around on Jeopardy! Last week, small wins. $11,000. $6,000. This week, big wins. Case in point, Jack. 26-plus yesterday. Emily and Lane, could happen to you, you know. We'll see if it does. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS (5/5)
ANIMATED DISNEY FILM BY VILLAIN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ABBREVIATED MAGAZINES (4/5)
SPRING MEDLEY (3/5)
SUFFRAGETTE CITY (2/3)
FISHING FOR COMPLIMENTS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lane: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jack: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: 3 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jack found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Jack had $2,000, Emily had $600, and Lane was at $800. Jack wagered $1,000.

ANIMATED DISNEY FILM BY VILLAIN $800: Governor Ratcliffe

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jack: $4,000
Lane: $800
Emily: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: At this point in our Jeopardy! game each day, I get to talk to our contestants. And what we talk about is based on information they have supplied me. And in the case of Lane Flynn, there's a bit of information here which is very intriguing. You were once involved in a fender bender involving...

Lane: An airplane. Yes.

Alex: Huh?

Lane: So I was learning to fly when I was in college. And after a solo practice lesson, I was taxiing back, not paying attention, and I ran the wing tip right into a fence. And I was certain they were never going to let me near an airplane again. Fortunately, they did. They fixed it, and I've since passed and flown many hundreds of fender-bender-free hours.

Alex: Okay, good. Congratulations on that score.

Alex: Emily Perez is from New York. An avid ghost hunter.

Emily: Yes, I am.

Alex: Where do you hunt for ghosts?

Emily: Anywhere. Funeral homes, hotels, penitentiaries, asylums.

Alex: You ever seen a ghost?

Emily: I've never seen, but I've heard.

Alex: Sure, it's the old...

Emily: Skeptic.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jack Rice. He's our champion. After you proposed to your wife, she proposed to you.

Jack: Got down--

Alex: What's that about?

Jack: She got down on one knee and presented me with a ring. I was very surprised, because I had the night all planned out, you know. We went and got cannoli.

Alex: Leave the gun, take the cannoli. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ABBREVIATED MAGAZINES $1000: From Rodale, a healthy lifestyle magazine covering nutrition, medicine & exercise:
P

SPRING MEDLEY $400: From the Latin, it means "relating to spring"

SPRING MEDLEY $800: Spring training baseball in Florida is known as this league
(Jack: What is the bush league?)

SUFFRAGETTE CITY $400: Lucy Burns took to the sky in 1916 to scatter leaflets over this city in Washington state
(Jack: What is Spokane?)
(Emily: What is Olympia?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lane: $5,600
Jack: $5,000
Emily: -$200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY EPONYMS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE FILING CABINET (5/5)
THEY'RE "GREAT"! (4/5)
BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
SOUND (3/5)
COMPLIMENTS FOR FISHING (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jack: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lane: 5 R, 0 W
Emily: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jack snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jack had $8,600, Emily had $1,800, and Lane was at $7,600. Jack wagered $1,600.

LITERARY EPONYMS $1200: This nickname of little Margery Meanwell has come to mean one who is cloyingly virtuous
(Jack: What is Pollyanna?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEY'RE "GREAT"! $2000: During his 1740-1786 reign, Prussia became a leading military power

LITERARY EPONYMS $800: This classic men's hat was named for a 19th century play whose title character was actually a woman

LITERARY EPONYMS $1600: Any trusted adviser, like the one who taught Telemachus in the "Odyssey"

LITERARY EPONYMS $2000: Casanova, Romeo & Don Juan are all synonyms for this eponymous seducer from a 1703 play

SOUND $1200: This verb meaning to change the play at the line of scrimmage can also mean to improvise in a non-football situation

SOUND $2000: Tchaikovsky sounds ethereal played on this quirky musical instrument

COMPLIMENTS FOR FISHING $400: You hauled in a northern one of these game fish rivaling the 55-pounder caught in 1986? Wow!
(Emily: What is a trout?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jack: $11,800
Lane: $9,600
Emily: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE U.N.

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jack: Wager $7,401 to cover Lane.
Lane: Try wagering $1,199, which is as much as you can put up against Jack without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Emily.
Emily: You just can't cover a rational wager by Lane, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 3 U.N. member states that begin with the letter "J"; 2 are island nations & one is nearly landlocked

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $4,200 - $4,199 = $1 (What jamaica, Jakarta, -) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lane: $9,600 + $9,598 = $19,198 (What are Jordan Japan and Jamaica) (New champion: $19,198)
Jack: $11,800 - $7,401 = $4,399 (What are Japan Java & J____) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jack: $13,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Lane: $9,600, 15 R, 0 W
Emily: $4,200, 9 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $27,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jack: 19/60 = .317
Lane: 16/58 = .276
Emily: 9/58 = .155
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS $200: (Alex presents the clue from the Galapagos.) One of the most famous ships to visit the Galapagos Islands was a whaling vessel called the Essex; shortly after leaving this island of Floreana, it was attacked and destroyed by a sperm whale--hm, the inspiration for this 1851 novel?

HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS $400: (Alex presents the clue from the Galapagos.) In Darwin Bay, Franklin Delano Roosevelt first came to the islands aboard the U.S.S. Houston on a fishing trip; along the way, he caught a shark, but more importantly, that trip helped us make a deal with this country to establish a base here in 1942
(Emily: What is the Philippines?)
(Jack: What is Chile?)

HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS $600: (Alex presents the clue from the Galapagos.) Convenient to South America and with a natural food supply in the tortoises that could live for months onboard ships, the Galapagos Islands attracted many mariners, including pirates who preyed on Spanish ships that were transporting treasure from this conquered empire

HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS $800: (Alex presents the clue from the Galapagos.) Pinnacle Rock was used as target practice by U.S. pilots in World War II, but despite the damage, it still looked good enough to be featured in this 2003 Russell Crowe film, the first major Hollywood motion picture to be made in the Galapagos

HUMANS IN THE GALAPAGOS $1000: (Alex presents the clue from the Galapagos.) I'm at Post Office Bay on the island of Floreana--when sailors' messages to their families back home were intercepted right here by U.S. Navy captain David Porter & his crew, they indicated the positions of their ships, & that information helped destroy the British Pacific whaling fleet during this war
(Alex: And before we move on, I want to thank Lindblad Expeditions for making that trip such an enjoyable one for me. And also thanks to the crew aboard the National Geographic Endeavour II for all of their great work. We have less than a minute to go now.)

SPRING MEDLEY $1000: Each spring, half a million sandhill ones hang out in Nebraska as they migrate
(Emily: What are... butterflies?)

SUFFRAGETTE CITY $600: In 1913 Alice Paul arranged for a demonstration of over 5,000 women before this man's inauguration in D.C.
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BEFORE & AFTER $1200: The cruise line whose ships include the Rotterdam manages to sail to "purple mountain majesties"
(Jack: What is Holland America?)

BEFORE & AFTER $1600: A 1940 way to say "carrying a gun" becomes "carrying a measurement of temperature & humidity"
(Emily: What is packing heat... what is packing heat...)

THE FILING CABINET $1600: Elinor Wylie wrote, "In masks outrageous and austere / the years go by" this way, one by one
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

COMPLIMENTS FOR FISHING $800: 9 pounds, 12 oz.?! Well done, Brent Ehrler, who boated the biggest one at the 2017 this Master Classic
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pocahontas
Prevention
vernal
the grapefruit league
Seattle
Little Goody Two-Shoes
Frederick the Great
fedora
a mentor
Lothario
to audible
a glass harmonica
a northern pike
Jamaica, Japan, and Jordan
Moby-Dick
Ecuador
the Incan empire
Master and Commander
the War of 1812
cranes
Wilson
Holland "America The Beautiful"
packing heat index
single file
bass
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE U.N.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 3 U.N. member states that begin with the letter “J”; 2 are island nations & one is nearly landlocked

Jack Rice: 11800-7401=4399
Emily Perez: 4200-4199=1
Lane Flynn: 9600+9598=19198 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jamaica, Japan & Jordan (Jack – Japan Java & J__) (Emily – Jamaica, Jakarta __)

Daily Doubles
Jack: 2000+1000
Jack: 8600-1600
DD3: Not Found

Coryats
Jack: 13200
Emily: 4200
Lane: 9600

Combined: 27,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jack: 5000
Emily: minus 200
Lane: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Five clues including DD3 were not played. There was time of course for Alex and the Galapagos category.

The Florida league for MLB’s spring training? Changing the football play at the line of scrimmage. Okay, sports, it happens. What should be solved for $2000 is the “Great” Prussia leader 1740-1786.

DD3 not found did not matter in this game as it is not as if Jack would have found it and bet 7400+ on the wager.

The FJ! category had me anticipating one of the newer members that joined or some kind of word play. Option 2 it is. The clue provided the letter to narrow the search. I had the nearly landlocked instantly, followed by the island in the Caribbean. One to go.

Staying in the Caribbean got me nowhere. Switching to the orderly approach of J-A got the job done. If it had been a J-U I would have been in trouble. It’s one of those clues that is easier with home conditions.

I completely understand things like Java & Jakarta being written by those on stage. All of the contestants obviously know all three places. It’s getting there within the 30 seconds that only Lane was able to accomplish.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I completely understand things like Java & Jakarta being written by those on stage. All of the contestants obviously know all three places. It’s getting there within the 30 seconds that only Lane was able to accomplish.
I've done the Sporcle quiz to name those particular three, and it's tough enough with a full minute, nothing at stake, the answers arranging themselves alphabetically, and the fact that you've taken the quiz several times before. As a rule, I think asking for three out of three anything in FJ is rather harsh, but well done by Lane. I wonder if he's studied "almost landlocked countries".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Grapefruit, audible, vernal

Judges: Cover band (instead of tribute band), and Goody Two Shoes (minus Little)?

FJ: :mrgreen:

That glass harmonica was fascinating.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,600
44 R/1 W
DD: 2/2
LT: Grapefruit League, Seattle, Frederick the Great, Goody Two-Shoes (DD), Lothario, audible, glass armonica

FJ! could have been really easy or really hard, depending on how many "countries of the world" Sporcle quizzes one has done.

The Wikipedia article on the glass instrument gives all of the following as names for the instrument: glass harmonica, glass armonica, glass harmonium, bowl organ, hydrocrystalophone, armonica, harmonica. I wonder how many of those were on Alex's card.

Like Jack, I started on Pollyanna on DD2. Fortunately, I remembered hearing a year or two ago that Goody Two-Shoes was a character from a novel, and that seemed to fit the clue better.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Jamaica right away and Japan right at the end. Jordan never came to me. Java and Jakarta did float through my head.

This was a tough one. Them being in three different parts of the world didn’t help.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:15 pm Judges: Cover band (instead of tribute band), and Goody Two Shoes (minus Little)?
Both of those should be acceptable. "Cover band" doesn't follow the complimentary language theme they were going for, but Alex never indicated that each response had to contain such a term.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ajk
Contributor

Post by ajk »

Yeah, I'm not sure if that is a good FJ question. It's awfully difficult to get all three in that amount of time. It's an interesting case, because I've heard that question at a pub trivia night before and was mildly upset about it being too easy, since nearly every team could get all three in the length of a song. But 30 seconds isn't very much time for one person to pull three answers and write them all down.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

3 is awfully harsh in the timeframe indeed. I got Japan immediately, Jamaica maybe 10 seconds in, and couldn't pull Jordan until probably 2 seconds before the end of the music, and would have had likely no hope of writing it completely in time
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The really interesting letter to start off countries is I. There are only eight, but all eight are among the more widely known countries.
Spoiler
India, Ireland, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Iran, Iraq, Italy
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said harmonicon. Is that an acceptable name for glass harmonica?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Pinocchio and Prevention kept me from running their respective categories.

NHO "sing someone's praises" except in a Christian context.

Ugh, another overly long video category, then 30 more seconds of him blathering on about Lindblad.

Any reason I should know those pamphlets were sent over Seattle and not any other major WA city?

DJ! board seemed insanely tough, though I got lach trash on "glass harmonica".

"Service entrance" is a thing?

No recognition on anything in "Great".

Peter the Great and northern pike seemed tough for the top box.

I had no idea that "grinch" meant an "ill-tempered spoilsport". I honestly thought it just meant someone who hates Christmas.

Jamaica and... uh... uh... uh... uhhhhhhh.... uhhhhhhhhhh.... I got nothing. Total brain lock. How I managed to blank on Japan, I have no idea.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

18th c. Prussian leader ____ the Great, for 2000?! Really J! writ-
*crickets*
18th c. Prussian leader ____ the Great, a TS? :oops:

"Humans [in the Galapagos], 200"
oh god, it's a video category...

blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla destroyed by a whale, inspiration for this novel
...............sigh.

I'd like to thank Lindblad, and also the crew of....
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Less than a minute
!@#^&!@#$$^^@#$&#*#$_&@(*%&*^&*(^^%&*()!@#^!#*(_#!$!$#)!#@()#@_$

Anyway, instaget FJ. In a million years, I didn't think "name the three 'J' countries" would be an FJ clue. A sole get? If they ran out of time, sure. Two of them naming islands of Indonesia instead of nations? Weird ending.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:41 pm
Anyway, instaget FJ. In a million years, I didn't think "name the three 'J' countries" would be an FJ clue. A sole get? If they ran out of time, sure. Two of them naming islands of Indonesia instead of nations? Weird ending.
Name the three H countries. Go!

The three V ones. Go! 30 seconds.

It's a snap for some, possible in 30 seconds for some and impossible for others. Yes, it's always nice to be in the first group.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

27 R
DD: 1/2 (Pocahontas)
LT: Vernal, Seattle, Frederick the Great, Fedora

Ran Animated Disney Film by Villain.

0/5 in Filing.
Douglas Squasoni
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm

It's a snap for some, possible in 30 seconds for some and impossible for others. Yes, it's always nice to be in the first group.
Except there are 4 V ones
Spoiler
vanuatu, vatican city, venezuela, vietnam
The Sporcle tests have been invaluable in many ways. Besides the alphabetical countries of the world, lately I've been into "Progressively Harder World Outline Slideshow", and just last week it came in handy.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm

My husband got this FJ right off the bat from our sofa but acknowledged that this might be a tough one to pull off in the studio.

Timely reference to David Ogden Stiers' (RIP) Disney Villain.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

got grapefruit, audible, Frederick the Great, some other trash I can't remember. :D
Japan and Jamaica were instants, Jordan took a little bit, but FJ was gettable. :geek:
kicking myself for saying glass harp instead of glass harmonica :x