Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), March 7, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), March 7, 2018

Post by tiwonge »

I had one correct answer typed in, but the time expired before I could submit. I suspect it did not get submitted, but does anybody know the mechanics of that?
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

If those answers are all correct, I think I got 40, which is a little higher than normal for me. I'm usually in the 34-37 range; taking yesterday's off the video I was right at 35. Got lucky on a couple of guesses, had a couple of brain farts that I should've gotten. But it looks like I passed with room to spare!

Definite misses: Byzantium, fern, Bowie, Seine, Libra, Airbus, Demeter, Radical, Fairy Queene, and lens. I don't even remember half the questions for those, just know I didn't give those as answers. I remember answering everything else how they're listed, so let's hope OntarioQuizzer's answers are right!
energydelay
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by energydelay »

Low 40s. Portland here I (might perhaps) come!
hscer

Post by hscer »

actually, I may have gotten exactly 35. didn't feel like it. I'd have guessed the Seine had they spelled Trocadéro with the accent, so I shan't be happy if I got 34
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

By those answers I have at least 39 - hope I'm competitive. Not as well as I did last time. :(
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

If OQ has the correct answers, 41 for real this time.

As often happens, I stumbled out of the gate, but I settled in. Changed Iran to India in a semi-panic. And talked myself out of Seine (how many other directional banks do I know?)

Had no idea about Goodreads -- do they have a blimp? :?

But, still, decent "under pressure." (duh duh-duh-duh duh duh-duh)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

How did you get the answers up already? Wow. This is great, I don't have to consult my video to grade my test since I can recognize/remember them. Thanks!

This was fun. I took a lucky stab at Pringles and Order and choked on Neil Gorsuch and Frank Lloyd Wright. I'm pleasantly surprised to get 33, and left 4 on the table. I had no ambition to get on the show, so my wife suggests I tell my stories here :lol: . Not while the moderators are watching, lol..

Good luck to all the boardies :D
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Looks like 34, and I don't think I've been that low in years.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 pm I had one correct answer typed in, but the time expired before I could submit. I suspect it did not get submitted, but does anybody know the mechanics of that?
Anything in the box gets auto-submitted at the end of time.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

I didn't do too bad. Although I got half way through the test realizing in my nervousness I was doing the e.e. Cummings thing and not capitalizing anything I typed. I assume they don't count that as wrong.
Spoiler
Also in my nervousness I typed La Trec (??? don't ask) instead of Loutrec and just Antoinette instead of Marie Antoinette. If they count those as partial answer or a mispelling I may have scored a 34. Ugh. Almost there.
Not Jeopardy! material :(
hscer

Post by hscer »

hscer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm actually, I may have gotten exactly 35. didn't feel like it. I'd have guessed the Seine had they spelled Trocadéro with the accent, so I shan't be happy if I got 34
then again, i choked on YALE, so...

howardnyc

Post by howardnyc »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 pm I had one correct answer typed in, but the time expired before I could submit. I suspect it did not get submitted, but does anybody know the mechanics of that?
you don't have to hit submit; if you do not click the submit button, whatever is in the box when time expires is automatically submitted as your answer. You should be good.

41. Only two that I should've/could've/thought of too late. And about three that I was not sure but guessed, I hit. Had some luck tonight.

I auditioned once, in 2015 (scored 38). Last summer I was invited to audition (scored 43 or 44 I think), but had a health issue and I could not attend. We'll see.

And another thank you for the rapid posting of the answers and the video, much appreciated.
Last edited by howardnyc on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

Video now online as well.
JK2010
Contributor

Post by JK2010 »

Came out of the test thinking that was way harder than yesterday and that I did significantly worse than usual (I've fallen in the 40-43 range for about a decade).

Then I reviewed ontarioquizzer's answer sheet and found I hit on an astonishing number of guesses and coin flips. For the NBC question I literally had no idea and said "um, um, um, This is Us is a show!" and somehow it was right. Looks like I managed to beat my usual range (assuming posted answers are correct). I did spell it "Fairie Queen" so hopefully that's close enough, and I had Gershwin written down before changing to Cole Porter.

All in all a very pleasant surprise for me, although I've gotten 40+ for 10+ years without an audition invite so who knows with these things....
BobF

Post by BobF »

I fell one short, 34, but on my next audition, I have a great story to tell. Fricking Microsoft decided that this evening was a good time to update my Windows on my desktop. Grrr. But I have my laptop next to me as a backup and I'm in my basement. With 16 seconds to go, I realize that the power cord for my laptop was in the furthest room in the house up two flights of stairs. I get there during the first question, which I had no clue on anyway. Then while plugging in, the screen goes black. I plug in and the screen reads Poetry as a category but the second question as what I have to answer. It does switch to verbs while I was typing
Spoiler
yield.
Was glad they had a question on
Spoiler
ultimate frisbee. I answered "ultimate (best sport ever)", but I really wanted to answer "the ultimate field is 40 yards by 120 yards, not 95 yards".
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

39 by my calculations, assuming that they accept
Spoiler
"ultimate Frisbee "- TMI, judges? - and "Matrix" without the definite article.
Even if they come down harsh on those, I should have a pass to my credit...no thanks to the first half of the test; I really was afraid I was in trouble by question 27 (8 wrong by that point, as it turned out, along with another 3 that I pulled out although I had my doubts in real time.) Fortunately, things got a bit easier after that, although I was still very nervous checking my tally sheet at the end of the test. Hope to see some of you in St. Louis... :mrgreen:
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

If the answers are all correct, I got 35. Phew, but not pleased with my performance at all.
Spoiler
I legitimately thought that Colin Powell was Secretary of Defense rather than Secretary of State, so I was convinced that they made a mistake and still wrote Condoleeza Rice for it. I'm a flop.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got 44 right, same as yesterday, but this one felt a lot harder.

Edit: on a second glance, I think it's because my wrong answers were concentrated in the first half: I was 20/25.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobF

Post by BobF »

AlphaDummy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 pm 39 by my calculations, assuming that they accept
Spoiler
"ultimate Frisbee "- TMI, judges? - and "Matrix" without the definite article.
Even if they come down harsh on those, I should have a pass to my credit...no thanks to the first half of the test; I really was afraid I was in trouble by question 27 (8 wrong by that point, as it turned out, along with another 3 that I pulled out although I had my doubts in real time.) Fortunately, things got a bit easier after that, although I was still very nervous checking my tally sheet at the end of the test. Hope to see some of you in St. Louis... :mrgreen:
Those should both be acceptable. The only time the article is required is if it's needed to distinguish from another title (like Invisible Man vs. The Invisible Man).

Plus, when we're typing in our answers, they don't expect the.
Last edited by BobF on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
hscer

Post by hscer »

Tybalteon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 pm If the answers are all correct, I got 35. Phew, but not pleased with my performance at all.
Spoiler
I legitimately thought that Colin Powell was Secretary of Defense rather than Secretary of State, so I was convinced that they made a mistake and still wrote Condoleeza Rice for it. I'm a flop.
Your name reminds me. I've been studying Broadway and Shakespeare and they still asked questions I had no clue on for those. Naturally, I got the ones they asked on the 30-question practice test.