Thursday, March 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W:3, costing 3400
Coryat: 16,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: reserved, vitimin K, diminished, volcano

J! round: Joined Hannah in the reversal during the meet & greet time. Got stumped with In Business (I'm not very good at word puzzles). Ran State Gov, 4/5 in stupid answers, missing it. Surprised myself by getting 3/5 in the Olympics - it helped that many of the clues were for Games during my youth, when I watched religiously.

DJ round: Stumped again in IANA(P)L. As a former music major in college, I'm embarrassed to go 3/5 in music terms, with one wrong. Thought the flat symbol was highly overvalued at 1600 - worth more like 200 - and Schoenberg was undervalued. I was a bit surprised to get a couple right in Chinese Emperors. Thought I'd be staring at that whole category. Frustrated by my second time this week of not pulling up Botticelli when given blind Italian tenor (I think it was in the first online exam this week - or perhaps in an older game I reviewed). I could see his face, but couldn't get a name.

FJ: It was a book??? Instaget from the movie side, not the lit angle.
--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Reveal of the FJ category => Novels. Best Sellers. Fiction. Ugh.. don't. like. escapism...

In spite of being one of my weakest categories, it was a simple get because of the WECIB nature. Just don't ask me who wrote it, names of characters, etc...
For some reason (syntax of the clue?), I thought the "Hammond" Company was a real life entity that somehow was making a charitable gesture or something following beneficial publicity or something from a movie. It may be similar to TPH's juxtaposition with the name of a person. I decided on the answer, then backed out the fact that it was a fictional company.

I've only heard the tenth amendment expressed synonomously as "all other powers", with the "reserved" powers just being the technical language.

I think only airheads (the good kind) know about the P40 or could possibly recognize it on sight. I think the contestant was going for P-51 Mustangs all the way and almost blundered into the right one. They shouldn't have used a plane with the iconic teeth paint job of the Tuskegee airmen for the clue. Boardies never fail to amaze me, so I'll take the over at 20%.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 pm I think only airheads (the good kind) know about the P40 or could possibly recognize it on sight. I think the contestant was going for P-51 Mustangs all the way and almost blundered into the right one. They shouldn't have used a plane with the iconic teeth paint job of the Tuskegee airmen for the clue.
The shark face nose art was used by the Flying Tigers, not the Tuskegee Airmen as far as I know. It was certainly made famous by the Flying Tigers, and to me that's what the P-40 is most famous for, so perfectly appropriate for the photo used with this clue.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: They shouldn't have used a plane with the iconic teeth paint job of the Tuskegee airmen for the clue. Boardies never fail to amaze me, so I'll take the over at 20%.
Not that the Tuskegee airmen ever employed that nose art.
I think that you're confusing them with the Flying Tigers, who flew P-40s.

*edit* Kirk beat me to it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,000
41 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: reserved powers, Fourteen Points

I am highly offended that there was not a single clue about me in the I Am Not A (Practicing) Lawyer category. :P

Since Opus is on his Lenten hiatus, I'll fill in and point out that the "repentant Mary" statement with respect to Mary Magdalene is based on tradition rather than Biblical text. The implication is that she was the adulterous woman whom Jesus saved from stoning in John 8, but the textual foundation for that is shaky at best.

I had absolutely no clue on the Bridewell DD.

I was, however, 100% sure on FJ! before Alex finished reading. I haven't seen any of the other films in the franchise, but I saw the original Jurassic Park on opening night the summer before my senior year of high school and remember well the extraction of dinosaur DNA from amber-encased insects.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DavidRosen wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:41 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm The P-40? Really? I'd bet that gets missed 99 times out of 100.
There are a lot of us who spent many teenage hours building models of WWII planes.
That's me too but I managed to come up with P-38 which (as it turns out) is a different warplane. Poop.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Not to sound too much like TPH, but how were we supposed to know they were asking what "maglev" means? I gave exactly the same answer Lane gave. :?
billiej

Post by billiej »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 pm
I settled on Jurassic Park near the end of the music, even though I didn't feel totally confident about it.
I wasn't confident either, mainly because for some reason I thought the book came out in the 80's. But it made the most sense.

Also said "comptroller".
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm The P-40? Really? I'd bet that gets missed 99 times out of 100.
There are a lot of us who spent many teenage hours building models of WWII planes.
Very true, but for sum of us, our teenage years were 40-some years ago! (But kudos to those with memories for that kind of detail!).
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 pm Anyone else follow my lead in thinking Amber was a name and not the substance?
But "amber" wasn't capitalized. If a name, I would think it would have been written with a capital "A".

Instaget for me, got it at Hammond.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

irene wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 pm Anyone else follow my lead in thinking Amber was a name and not the substance?
But "amber" wasn't capitalized. If a name, I would think it would have been written with a capital "A".
Thy're all capitalized on the TV.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 pm
Thought the flat symbol was highly overvalued at 1600
Because it was so highly valued, I thought it couldn't possibly be a simple flat symbol, and I wound up negging something dumb ("grace note").

Between that and enthusiastically taking the P-51 bait, a couple of bad negs for me that dragged my score down.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 am
That's me too but I managed to come up with P-38 which (as it turns out) is a different warplane. Poop.
The P-38 is a can opener! Way more important than a plane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 am The shark face nose art was used by the Flying Tigers, not the Tuskegee Airmen as far as I know. It was certainly made famous by the Flying Tigers, and to me that's what the P-40 is most famous for, so perfectly appropriate for the photo used with this clue.
Thanks for the info. I've seen the iconic images many times, and Flying Tigers sounds familiar, but I didn't realize they weren't also P-51's. I'm kind of a WW2 buff (not a scholar by any means), but still didn't know that P meant pursuit in the naming of the aircraft. Thank you Jeopardy writers. And Kirk and Cat13.

I will hold the line and still take the over at 20% for this question, out of respect for the knowledge of the boardies. And I think it was ungettable for the contestants as a YEKIOYD.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 am Not to sound too much like TPH, but how were we supposed to know they were asking what "maglev" means? I gave exactly the same answer Lane gave. :?
It's definitely a you either know it or you don't. To me it seemed simple, but my wife had never heard the term. It's the kind of thing you'd know if you're into technology or engineering.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:25 pm
Foretopman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 am Not to sound too much like TPH, but how were we supposed to know they were asking what "maglev" means? I gave exactly the same answer Lane gave. :?
It's definitely a you either know it or you don't. To me it seemed simple, but my wife had never heard the term. It's the kind of thing you'd know if you're into technology or engineering.
I'm not sure it's YEKIOYD - the abbreviations for its components are in the name (and it's pronounced that way - "Mag-Lev"). It can definitely be something you're unfamiliar with, although the "The Japanese have high speed maglev trains, that's cool" meme has been around since I was a kid.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Didn't Lane answer 'monorail'? That isn't correct. I said 'train', which should have been adequate since the question didn't ask what 'maglev' was short for. I probably would have gotten a BMS, and probably would have then said 'a maglev train', which probably would have gotten another BMS, making it (finally) clear they wanted magnetic levitation.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 am The shark face nose art was used by the Flying Tigers, not the Tuskegee Airmen as far as I know. It was certainly made famous by the Flying Tigers, and to me that's what the P-40 is most famous for, so perfectly appropriate for the photo used with this clue.
Thanks for the info. I've seen the iconic images many times, and Flying Tigers sounds familiar, but I didn't realize they weren't also P-51's. I'm kind of a WW2 buff (not a scholar by any means), but still didn't know that P meant pursuit in the naming of the aircraft. Thank you Jeopardy writers. And Kirk and Cat13.

I will hold the line and still take the over at 20% for this question, out of respect for the knowledge of the boardies. And I think it was ungettable for the contestants as a YEKIOYD.
For perhaps obvious reasons, warbirds are a major wheelhouse category for me, going back to the '30s anyway (WWI aircraft are a lot tougher, with many models and types -- hard to tell some Sopwiths, Fokkers, and Curtiss biplanes [like the Jenny] apart).

The Flying Tigers still are flying; the current 23rd Fighter Group flies A-10s with the shark teeth nose art, and traces its lineage back to the American Volunteer Group (AVG) that Claire Chennault started to fight in China as civilians before the U.S. entered the war. Because of the A-10's anti-tank gun protruding from the side of the nose, the airplanes are sometimes called "the shark with the cigar".

I was assigned to what was then the 23rd Tac Fighter Wing at England AFB in Louisiana in the mid- to late '80s, and still occasionally wear my old unit cap with the flying tiger shield. The P-40 Warhawk was not a challenge for our household. In fact, my son's bedroom had a ceiling fan that looked like a P-40 nose protruding from the drywall. They're still being made.

And yeah, spent MANY hours with model airplane kits as a kid -- I was the one whose parents had the dodge the dozens hanging from the bedroom ceiling on fishing line at their head height.

And as a final aside, many former troops with field experience still have a P-38 can opener on their key rings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23d_Fighter_Group
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:10 pm
irene wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am
Thy're all capitalized on the TV.
Oops. :oops:
Never mind then...
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 pm
Didn't Lane answer 'monorail'? That isn't correct. I said 'train', which should have been adequate since the question didn't ask what 'maglev' was short for. I probably would have gotten a BMS, and probably would have then said 'a maglev train', which probably would have gotten another BMS, making it (finally) clear they wanted magnetic levitation.
I agree, but I don't think any BMS was necessary. "Train" was fine. I said "elevated train," which doesn't seem to be correct, either, indicating something different from "maglev."
It took me awhile to make sense of FJ, but I switched from The Da Vinci Code to Jurassic Park in time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

For perhaps obvious reasons, warbirds are a major wheelhouse category for me, going back to the '30s anyway (WWI aircraft are a lot tougher, with many models and types -- hard to tell some Sopwiths, Fokkers, and Curtiss biplanes [like the Jenny] apart).

The Flying Tigers still are flying; the current 23rd Fighter Group flies A-10s with the shark teeth nose art, and traces its lineage back to the American Volunteer Group (AVG) that Claire Chennault started to fight in China as civilians before the U.S. entered the war. Because of the A-10's anti-tank gun protruding from the side of the nose, the airplanes are sometimes called "the shark with the cigar".

I was assigned to what was then the 23rd Tac Fighter Wing at England AFB in Louisiana in the mid- to late '80s, and still occasionally wear my old unit cap with the flying tiger shield. The P-40 Warhawk was not a challenge for our household. In fact, my son's bedroom had a ceiling fan that looked like a P-40 nose protruding from the drywall. They're still being made.

And yeah, spent MANY hours with model airplane kits as a kid -- I was the one whose parents had the dodge the dozens hanging from the bedroom ceiling on fishing line at their head height.

And as a final aside, many former troops with field experience still have a P-38 can opener on their key rings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23d_Fighter_Group
I knew I had to get my P-38 jibe in before you did! I think MB will be interested in this as a poll question, and I still don't think it will touch 30%. Interesting about the torch being passed to the Warthog, but I'm of the impression (from Quora) that it is tactically obsolete (along with tanks). Our infatuation with that big gun notwithstanding. :twisted: