Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), March 8, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), March 8, 2018

Post by Newhausen »

MarkBarrett wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 am Did anyone miss Pierre or diabetes? Those seem like all they do is bump up the number of passing scores and to me they are misplaced on the adult exam.
No, although it took me a good 11 seconds to get Bismarck out of my head long enough to come up with Pierre.

As one of those who needed those to get bumped up to a passing score (only my 2nd in 11 years of taking the test!), though, I'm quite thankful. Getting a clue about my father-in-law's alma mater certainly didn't hurt either.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

IronNeck wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 am 47 for me, and this test felt a lot easier than Tuesday's (43-45 depending on spelling/alternate response leniency) or Wednesday's (44). Misses:
Spoiler
35. William Styron
42. Lexington
49. Knew it contained "Lies," but couldn't get any farther than that
Heh, I had the same mistake on 42. as you did.

Also, since it's been bugging me more; do any of you think it matters that I wrote "Socratic", referring to the method, or "dark and stormy night" instead of "dark and stormy"
Hard to believe "Socratic" is not fully acceptable. A response with an extra correct word in it? May depend on if it's programmed in but it certainly should be acceptable as in a J! game. Still, never write more than you have to. I might have written dark, stormy for this one...
Lefty wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 am Just barely had time to look up the right ALT command for 𝑙'π‘Žπ‘π‘π‘’π‘›π‘‘ π‘Žπ‘–π‘”π‘’ in "touchΓ©". Whew!
I hope you're joking. The chances of them not accepting touche are approximately nil.

I also said Lexington. And Pretty Little Lies. And had no idea on the pop star. And those were my only misses. So yes, this is the easiest I've ever taken, since I usually hover around 40, including the last 2 nights...I usually take the last one for real, but wasn't able to this week, so my Wed 41 counts.
Last edited by davey on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

45. Much easier than yesterday. Of course, less pressure this time too.

Missed: Inertia, Yelp, Gaiman, Ice Cube, and Big Little Lies
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

48/50, got unnecessarily cute on the Andes one and said Angie's List for Yelp.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

42 on Tuesday (the β€˜real’ one), 43 on Wednesday, and 40 last night.... so to me, they all seemed about the same difficulty, Especially since I had a couple of stupid errors on the last test. For example, I repeated the Mark Twain title in my head, but focused on the β€˜Yankee’, and finally decided β€˜well, maybe it’s Massachusetts?!?’ D’oh!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Playing from the video, I got 44 on this test -- I think that's my best ever.
So... for the three nights I am 30 - 41 - 44. And naturally, I took the first one for real. Sigh.
I am trying to console myself by saying that the first one was obviously a fluke, and that bad luck can happen to anyone. Also, next year they may offer Boston as an audition city. They seem to be coming here every other year. I didn't really want to go to New York City to audition, right?
Teems with quiet fun.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Schliemann wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 amI passed!
Unbelievable. Are you sure you counted your score correctly?
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

Schliemann wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 amI passed!
Congrats! Say hi to Maggie for me!
hscer

Post by hscer »

practice test 80%
Tuesday test 80%
this test 80% (actually 42)

test I actually took...68%

hooray
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
hscer

Post by hscer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 am
Lefty wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 am Just barely had time to look up the right ALT command for 𝑙'π‘Žπ‘π‘π‘’π‘›π‘‘ π‘Žπ‘–π‘”π‘’ in "touchΓ©". Whew!
I hope you're joking. The chances of them not accepting touche are approximately nil.
Especially since they didn't bother with an accent on the TrocadΓ©ro clue on Wednesday

Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

Curious in regards to the fencing question...how do people feel about "riposte" as an answer?
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

immaf wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 am Playing from the video, I got 44 on this test -- I think that's my best ever.
So... for the three nights I am 30 - 41 - 44. And naturally, I took the first one for real. Sigh.
I am trying to console myself by saying that the first one was obviously a fluke, and that bad luck can happen to anyone. Also, next year they may offer Boston as an audition city. They seem to be coming here every other year. I didn't really want to go to New York City to audition, right?
Keep studying. I've been doing these tests forever, and now even my horrible ones are in the low 40s.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mungar wrote: ↑Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 pm In my opinion, by far the easiest online Jeopardy test I've ever taken. I've usually been around 28-32 in previous years, but I'm certain I passed 35 tonight with ease.
I absolutely agree. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me, missing only Yelp (I put Angie's List) and (NHO) Ed Sheeran in the first 34 clues. :shock: Ended up with no sweat and 44 total right.

I took the Wednesday test for real and will have to "settle" for 41 on that quiz. Now how do I let TPTB know that I'm right here in Cleveland, available for the audition to be held here later?
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

hscer wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am practice test 80%
Tuesday test 80%

hooray
Been there too many times. After scoring 37 and 41(!) on "practice" tests only to get 31 and 33 on the tests I actually took a few years back, I had to stop looking at the other tests entirely for the sake of my own sanity.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Newhausen wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 am
hscer wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am practice test 80%
Tuesday test 80%

hooray
Been there too many times. After scoring 37 and 41(!) on "practice" tests only to get 31 and 33 on the tests I actually took a few years back, I had to stop looking at the other tests entirely for the sake of my own sanity.
almost did that (not look at the other tests) this time. will probably start actually doing that next time

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

RJZ1977 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm Welp, 38 (or 37 if Socratic gets dinged). This is my 8th or 9th 'pass', with so far only 1 audition to show for it. Wonder if that conversion rate is standard in everyone's experience?
I think 'Socratic method' is most likely accepable given phrasing. We offered same. 35 for the wife on this which prima facie was the easiest of three. Painfully obvious how some clues point to CA residence preference - RAMS... lol. We pulled that one from the East Coast! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

Robbo wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 am Curious in regards to the fencing question...how do people feel about "riposte" as an answer?
A stretch. A riposte is more than an acknowledgment. It's a clever reply of its own.
davey

Post by davey »

goatman wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am
RJZ1977 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm Welp, 38 (or 37 if Socratic gets dinged). This is my 8th or 9th 'pass', with so far only 1 audition to show for it. Wonder if that conversion rate is standard in everyone's experience?
Painfully obvious how some clues point to CA residence preference - RAMS... lol. ...
Then again if you're from St. Louis. Or from anywhere and know nothing about football except the names of the teams!... :roll:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

goatman wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am Painfully obvious how some clues point to CA residence preference - RAMS... lol. We pulled that one from the East Coast! :lol:
Which is why I was surprised to see an Arby's question on the test I took. Arby's used to be an Ohio-based chain, with most of its locations in the Great Lakes region. Has the chain gone national?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am
goatman wrote: ↑Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am Painfully obvious how some clues point to CA residence preference - RAMS... lol. We pulled that one from the East Coast! :lol:
Which is why I was surprised to see an Arby's question on the test I took. Arby's used to be an Ohio-based chain, with most of its locations in the Great Lakes region. Has the chain gone national?
I count 50: https://locations.arbys.com/index.html