Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm I have read a lot of books about the founding of Apple, so this was a near instaget for me, but I'm not sure what the TOM for this was, besides "late 70s California would have to be a big tech company".
I thought of companies that are associated with co-founders, both of whom are well known. Apple suggested itself.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

when was the last time all 61 clues were played?

Derped FJ. Was thinking along the lines of Apple... and wrote Microsoft [facepalm]
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm ... blanked on the last word of "ex post ____".
Got farther than me on that one.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 pm Immediately came up with HP, but just as quickly switched to Apple. I figured HP isn't big enough to merit "BIG BUSINESS" anymore.
Oh HP is very much still big business. And there's -two- of them now, one Fortune 59, the other Fortune 61.
http://fortune.com/fortune500/hewlett-p ... nterprise/
http://fortune.com/fortune500/hp/

Sure, Apple's #3, but they just said 'BIG' business, not 'GARGANTUAN'.

Took me a little longer to move away from HP; I only realized about 10 seconds in that, "Wait, HP's hella old money. Those two were probably already dead by the 70s." (They weren't, but luckily I didn't know that. 2001 and 1996 respectively.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 pm when was the last time all 61 clues were played?
Last Friday.

Before that, 09 Feb...also a Friday. :|
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
GoDores
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by GoDores »

Hey all! I'm Lane; I hope it's not rude to intrude on the thread of a game I played in. It was actually pretty neat to find this board and read about all the times I screwed up when I was on the show :lol:

I will say that a couple of the posters are right on one point: I felt confident in the category, so instead of betting to beat Mark by $1 I meant to wager the amount that would leave me with $1 more than Megan if she were the only person to answer correctly, and I got my math wrong by $200. I never even noticed it until I read this thread and went back and looked at the scores before FJ!. Oops.

On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought the astronomy category in the Jeopardy round was exceptionally difficult.

Thought of Microsoft first for FJ, but knew it was founded in Albuquerque and Apple came quickly after that realization.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm Hey all! I'm Lane; I hope it's not rude to intrude on the thread of a game I played in.
Definitely not rude ... and welcome!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm Hey all! I'm Lane; I hope it's not rude to intrude on the thread of a game I played in. It was actually pretty neat to find this board and read about all the times I screwed up when I was on the show :lol:

I will say that a couple of the posters are right on one point: I felt confident in the category, so instead of betting to beat Mark by $1 I meant to wager the amount that would leave me with $1 more than Megan if she were the only person to answer correctly, and I got my math wrong by $200. I never even noticed it until I read this thread and went back and looked at the scores before FJ!. Oops.

On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
It's always great to see someone who lives in Atlanta do well on the show. Congrats on the run!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
"The two founders" is inaccurate. Had the clue said "two founders" with no "the," it would have been fine, but you were steered wrong by wording that was off. "The two" means there were two in total. Don't give up.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 pm
GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
"The two founders" is inaccurate. Had the clue said "two founders" with no "the," it would have been fine, but you were steered wrong by wording that was off. "The two" means there were two in total. Don't give up.
After just reading about Apple's history I have to agree. I think Lane has a legit case.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Welcome to the board Lane, from a 2017 newbie/neverwannabe. :D It's tough to see you lose but Mark came through in the clutch and when it gets to FJ, it is a snakepit sometimes.

This game was pretty well paced, especially when Megan showed her pop culture chops. The show needs those categories to excite millennials and younger demographics.

I couldn't unravel the solar system or medical terminology categories fast enough and they should be wheelhouses for me.

For FJ, I thought about Facebook, and then noted the year. I ruled out Microsoft thinking they beat this timeline a little. The biggest TOM was the 6 year gap from founding to hiring staff, and that seems to fit the narrative of the business in the garage. But, upon reviewing the language, it just says the Steves were introduced 6 years prior. I'm not a huge fan of the American dream / entrepreneur / pull up by bootstrap - symbolism. Our capitalist system is anything but this fantasy and doesn't reward labor and initiative. It COULD, but it doesn't and a few exceptions does not change the reality.

I'm surprised this wasn't a triple get, but Lane's story about a third founder is a tough break for knowing too much. I do know H-P is somewhat older, as my previous employer supplied Germanium wafers to the company in the late 60's and early 70's. They were just another customer then but they had a staff of scientists and engineers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
Whodat?? I watched the 12/12 taping and I think that is coming up next week. I've only got a few of the names in my notes but didn't know there was a C list celebrity playing. I'll be real careful about spoilers and players. But I am counting on getting my first 5/5 in FJ next week! OK, I actually went
Spoiler
nothing to see here, move along folks...
/5 :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $23,400
38 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ellery Queen, Ottawa River, Kaa

I'm really surprised this FJ! appears to have played so tough. Big Business + company famously founded by two men* + California + mid-1970s screams Apple to me.

Ex post facto is obvious in hindsight, but I had nothing on that DD.

Carthage --> Tunisia is a straightforward connection, but I think it was undervalued in the second row.

* - I had no idea about the third founder and agree that Lane has a legitimate beef.
Sprinkles are for winners.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 pm
After just reading about Apple's history I have to agree. I think Lane has a legit case.
I'll sign that petition. Nonetheless--great job, Lane.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

In my humble amateur opinion, Lane has a better case than the woman who missed Manchester by the Sea (since it is unlikely that the poor phrasing actually influenced her thought process). Good luck.

I am surprised that Mr. Wayne and his story are not more well-known - I also never heard of him before this controversy. But all sources back Lane. You don't even need to ask Siri - Google also gives all three men as responses to the "Who founded Apple?" query and then below provides links to many articles that all say the same.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
Whodat?? I watched the 12/12 taping and I think that is coming up next week.
Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4497&p=271018#p271001

and read the posts that follow.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:29 am In my humble amateur opinion, Lane has a better case than the woman who missed Manchester by the Sea (since it is unlikely that the poor phrasing actually influenced her thought process). Good luck.
Agreed. I can completely buy "the two founders" throwing off Lane's reasoning for FJ. I can't buy that for the other FJ clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the "don't give up" front: I recalled that 2005 contestant Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua's initial protestations on FJ wording were also blown off by the judges, but she was eventually brought back. https://web.archive.org/web/20060505011 ... dy-part-7/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

To play devil's advocate: If you knew the three founders of Apple, wouldn't you know Bill Fernandez's name as well?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am To play devil's advocate: If you knew the three founders of Apple, wouldn't you know Bill Fernandez's name as well?
I knew Apple had three founders (which is different from knowing the three founders), but I can't recall having heard of Fernandez. I solved the clue by letting the wording convince me that Ronald Wayne (whose name I didn't remember) wasn't considered a founder after all.