Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by SenseiCAY »

I can do that stupid Sporcle quiz where you just name all the countries of the world - my best time is just over 4 minutes - but there was no way I was gonna come up with that FJ - I think I got Jamaica in the time limit, I don't think I would have come up with Jordan, and I totally blanked on Japan because I got stuck in the Caribbean with island nations.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I completely understand things like Java & Jakarta being written by those on stage. All of the contestants obviously know all three places. It’s getting there within the 30 seconds that only Lane was able to accomplish.
I've done the Sporcle quiz to name those particular three, and it's tough enough with a full minute, nothing at stake, the answers arranging themselves alphabetically, and the fact that you've taken the quiz several times before. As a rule, I think asking for three out of three anything in FJ is rather harsh, but well done by Lane. I wonder if he's studied "almost landlocked countries".
i do the jetpunk country quizzes regularly and i agree with the 3 in 30 seconds...not that easy of a task...i got them all right at the buzzer
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:37 pm Pinocchio and Prevention kept me from running their respective categories.

NHO "sing someone's praises" except in a Christian context.

Ugh, another overly long video category, then 30 more seconds of him blathering on about Lindblad.

Any reason I should know those pamphlets were sent over Seattle and not any other major WA city?

DJ! board seemed insanely tough, though I got lach trash on "glass harmonica".

"Service entrance" is a thing?

No recognition on anything in "Great".

Peter the Great and northern pike seemed tough for the top box.

I had no idea that "grinch" meant an "ill-tempered spoilsport". I honestly thought it just meant someone who hates Christmas.

Jamaica and... uh... uh... uh... uhhhhhhh.... uhhhhhhhhhh.... I got nothing. Total brain lock. How I managed to blank on Japan, I have no idea.
pinocchio was the only one i got right in the isney villains category
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm got grapefruit, audible, Frederick the Great, some other trash I can't remember. :D
Japan and Jamaica were instants, Jordan took a little bit, but FJ was gettable. :geek:
kicking myself for saying glass harp instead of glass harmonica :x
japan immediately, jordan soon after and jamaica right at the buzze...odd thing is...jamaica is the only country of those 3 that i have been to and took me the longest to come up with it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am I can do that stupid Sporcle quiz where you just name all the countries of the world - my best time is just over 4 minutes - but there was no way I was gonna come up with that FJ - I think I got Jamaica in the time limit, I don't think I would have come up with Jordan, and I totally blanked on Japan because I got stuck in the Caribbean with island nations.
4 minutes for 196? damn dude...pretty impressive
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am I can do that stupid Sporcle quiz where you just name all the countries of the world - my best time is just over 4 minutes - but there was no way I was gonna come up with that FJ - I think I got Jamaica in the time limit, I don't think I would have come up with Jordan, and I totally blanked on Japan because I got stuck in the Caribbean with island nations.
Yeah - it was the first quiz I ever played on that site - I think I got maybe 100 on my first try, and I decided one day that I should be able to get all of them. After practicing for a day or so, I could do it most of the time. Getting all of them comes from putting countries into groups (e.g. all of the Stans, Guinea/Guinea Bissau/Equatorial Guinea, Iraq/Iran/Kuwait, everything in the Arabian Peninsula), so that if I get one, then I get all of its group, and working my way across the map by continent, knowing what number I should be at after finishing each section.

Getting faster was a matter of practice, not making typos, and thinking ahead, e.g. I type all of the "stans" while thinking, "OK, next comes Iraq/Iran/Kuwait," and then, while I type those out, "OK, next is the Arabian Peninsula."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm
Yeah - it was the first quiz I ever played on that site - I think I got maybe 100 on my first try, and I decided one day that I should be able to get all of them. After practicing for a day or so, I could do it most of the time. Getting all of them comes from putting countries into groups (e.g. all of the Stans, Guinea/Guinea Bissau/Equatorial Guinea, Iraq/Iran/Kuwait, everything in the Arabian Peninsula), so that if I get one, then I get all of its group, and working my way across the map by continent, knowing what number I should be at after finishing each section.

Getting faster was a matter of practice, not making typos, and thinking ahead, e.g. I type all of the "stans" while thinking, "OK, next comes Iraq/Iran/Kuwait," and then, while I type those out, "OK, next is the Arabian Peninsula."
does sporcle take abbreviations like car (central africa, republic) ong (papua new guinea? have never done the quiz on sporcle...have on jetpunk though and they allow those abbreviations

just took the quiz again on jetpunk and only got 180...my high is 194...is my 2nd holy grail on that site...the first being naming all 351 ncaa division 1 basketball schools...my high so far is 307 out of 351...one day i will complete both of them
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

^ Yes, that's where I always start when taking that Sporcle quiz. Back in high school I had the Animaniacs sing-along VHS tape and memorized the song. :mrgreen: Of course considering some of the countries named didn't even exist anymore once the cartoon premiered, it only gets you so far.

(Animaniacs has also helped me memorize U.S. presidents. And They Might Be Giants has helped me get every J! clue involving James K. Polk.)
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm

does sporcle take abbreviations like car (central africa, republic) ong (papua new guinea? have never done the quiz on sporcle...have on jetpunk though and they allow those abbreviations

just took the quiz again on jetpunk and only got 180...my high is 194...is my 2nd holy grail on that site...the first being naming all 351 ncaa division 1 basketball schools...my high so far is 307 out of 351...one day i will complete both of them
It takes stuff like CAR and DRC - I haven't tried ONG or DPRK before. It also takes close-enough spellings, although I haven't hammered out what works and what doesn't - I know "Kazakstan" works and I'd imagine that there's more than one acceptable way to spell Kyrgyzstan over there.