Monday, March 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FIRST LADY FACTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1982, when Bess Truman died, she had been enrolled in this government program for about 17 years, longer than anyone else

Mark Ashton: 6000+0=6000
Ashley O’Mara: 600-0=600
Zach Dark: 24000+5000=29000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Medicare (Ashley – Social Security)

Daily Doubles
Ashley: 600-600
Zach: 13000+3000
Ashley: 3600-3000

Coryats
Mark: 6000
Ashley: 4200
Zach: 22200

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mark: 2000
Ashley: 1600
Zach: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I’m calling Alex out for another ABC sitcom mispronunciation as Ariel Winter is R-iel like pirate talk and not air-iel like the Little Mermaid.

THE 7 ANCIENT WONDERS is an easy category to study for with five minutes of prep time in the Archive before taping day. Put it on the to-do list. Mark got the $200 clue and Zach got the $400 & $600 clues. Then the wheels came off with Mark guessing Athena for the temple clue. It got worse with the Parthenon and King Tut’s Tomb guessed for the thing at Halicarnassus. To me, Zach not adding another $1,800 to his score was just as bad as the last two clues being stumpers alongside the misses by his opponents.

The players get a break on the actress from Roseanne and Lady Bird shown in the photo being a stumper in “M”TERTAINMENT as Alex said each correct response beginning with the letter M. Yes, her last name does, but the first name does not so I get any confusion there.

The FJ! clue had me thinking two things immediately. The week is off to a good start with a no doubt solve and who (turned out to be Ashley) would go a certain wrong way. I’ll call now it will be a poll choice as Ashley will find company on the board.

Zach must have quickly rounded up rooters today between his home state and liking Aaron Sorkin. Throw in those who like a southern accent and the cheer-ometer percentage increases. Since Zach Dark has a name more unusual than a John Smith I took a look at Google and found this article: http://hooversun.com/peopleplaces/inves ... isode-mar/
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:44 pm The FJ! clue had me thinking two things immediately. The week is off to a good start with a no doubt solve and who (turned out to be Ashley) would go a certain wrong way. I’ll call now it will be a poll choice as Ashley will find company on the board.
She sure will. Darn it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:44 pm The FJ! clue had me thinking two things immediately. The week is off to a good start with a no doubt solve and who (turned out to be Ashley) would go a certain wrong way. I’ll call now it will be a poll choice as Ashley will find company on the board.
She sure will. Darn it.
Ouch. You do not have to write lines on the blackboard, but here is your homework with one having a visual as well: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Wow, you know you've made your mark on the game when Uncle Alex gives you a nickname. Congrats to The Dark Man. You usually get to wear a cape with a handle like that.

An icon of my generation takes the stage in tomorrow's game, and I've already got the snacks prepped. Hope he's quick on the draw!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I definitely had a rooting interest during the introductions. Well done, Zach.

The Seven Wonders are a must for your short list study guide when you get the call. The Bill of Rights as well

I won’t have to check the alternate box Saturday as I got this right. I knew Medicare was under LBJ and 1965 would have been about the right year.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm An icon of my generation takes the stage in tomorrow's game, and I've already got the snacks prepped. Hope he's quick on the draw!
If you have flavored-wallpaper or a chocolate river then you know you've gone too far?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:25 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm An icon of my generation takes the stage in tomorrow's game, and I've already got the snacks prepped. Hope he's quick on the draw!
If you have flavored-wallpaper or a chocolate river then you know you've gone too far?
You should see my domestic staff.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Telltale" threw me for a loop since it was the first "Tell" after three "Show"s. That was my only miss there.

"Above the line" Was my only miss in Movie. "Macguffin" I learned from TV Tropes.

I was frustratingly close. Obviously some government thing for old people... shoot, what are those things called? I was trying to pull either Medicare or social security, but just drew a blank on what either one was called.

Lach Trash: "Welcome to My House".
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,000
44 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fifth Amendment (DD), the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, "My House," Laurie Metcalf, shoes, cellphone, Lake Como (DD)

Sometimes FJ! is just a math problem.

I was surprised that after doing so well in Beauty Trends, Ashley apparently wasn't familiar with espadrilles.

Count me among those who were confused on the Laurie Metcalf clue. I rang in reflexively on the "Roseanne's sister" TOM, but then had a moment of doubt before realizing that her last name fit the category. It was a bit unsettling.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mom starts with an M. Would “Sheldon’s Mom” have worked?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:37 pm Mom starts with an M. Would “Sheldon’s Mom” have worked?
"M"rs. Cooper?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

To an inveterate Civilization player such as myself, Seven Wonders is batting practice. My fearless prediction for the J6 is the Statue of Zeus, the Parthenon being too well known. Also ran Amendments, with Zach winning my respect by getting the 10th.
FJ! = what big government program started in 1965? Easy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought I had it with "Secret Service protection". Carol Anne got it right. I'm hiding under the couch.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm To an inveterate Civilization player such as myself, Seven Wonders is batting practice. My fearless prediction for the J6 is the Statue of Zeus, the Parthenon being too well known.
Who pitches your batting practice? Aroldis Chapman? I think I felt a breeze on your second swing. You did connect on the first one with Zeus being the J!6.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 19, W: 3, costing 2000
Coryat: 10,400
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: (5th amendment)

Timings:
3:34 + 3:00 = 6:34
7:16
1:24

Another bad day for me. Only got skunked in one category (Lakes), but had single gets in 6. Best category was the amendments, with 4/5 - the bottom clue thanks to a plot line in a recent episode of one of the law-based shows I watch. (NCIS or it's spin offs? Designated Survivor? Madam Secretary? Bull?)

My first instinct on FJ was Social Security, but I paused and did the math to come up with 1965, which made it Medicare. Does it help that I deal with both of these on a daily basis in my job? ;)
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

31 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: (Fifth Amendment), Dyson, Artemis, The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, Shoes, Raymond Chandler, (Lake Como), Australia

Ran 7 Wonders of the Ancient World.

0/5 in Movie Words.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I didn't guess Social Security because I knew 1965 was too late for that. I didn't guess Medicare because I couldn't think of it.