Tuesday, March 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1950s FICTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The New York Times called this 1,000-page novel by a woman “one of the most influential business books ever written”

Zach Dark: 13600+5601=19201 (2x = $48,201)
Paris Themmen: 3400+3400=6800
McKayle Bruce: 9600-9600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Atlas Shrugged (McKayle – Feminine Mystique)

Daily Doubles
Paris: 4000+4000
McKayle: 8400-2000
Paris: 7200-5000

Coryats
Zach: 13600
Paris: 5000
McKayle: 11600

Combined: 30,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zach: 3600
Paris: 8800
McKayle: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oompa Loompa doom-pa-dee-do
I have another puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doom-pa-da-dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get from a non-clam guess?
Alex will not tell you that is a yes.
Why don't you try simply staying calm?
Or can you just do your score total harm.

The game had no mention of Paris Themmen’s famous role of playing Mike Teevee. Paris did get a message to his wife Nikki Grillos: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10233 in BEN-HUR $800 when he responded correctly to the polygamous clue and added a, “Sorry, Nikki.”

Paris and Zach were tied for success on the FJ! round clue. Paris won the J! round. Zach won the match in the DJ! round by adding $10K to his score while Paris went from 8800 to begin the round to 3400 coming out of it.

Even if Paris had solved DD3 he would have trailed for the FJ! round as +5000 coupled with the last $1200 clue would not have been enough.

The FJ! clue was a 50/50/90 for me as I got to the author and picked the wrong work. It’s a fair penalty for me as I know the titles, Howard Roark, John Galt, architect and that’s about all. It would have been helpful to know one work was 1940s and one was 1950s, but I did not have that in the Yearodex even though the works have plenty of previous J! usage.

It’s not like I solved the other FJ! clues about the author and her works, so it’s one more miss.

For Hammer and anyone else in the NHOI group the previous appearance was:
#7620, aired 2017-10-27 AMERICAN AUTHORS $1200
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,800
43 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cuba, citizen, Molly Pitcher, glycogen, Groundhog Day (DD)

Interesting that Zach's anniversary story airs the day before Pi Day. Methinks that if these shows had originally been scheduled to air this week (rather than having been moved due to Alex's surgery), that story would have been saved for tomorrow's episode.

Paris had an absolutely brutal DJ! round (-$5,400), but at least he got to give an apologetic shout-out to his wife, S32 champ Nikki Grillos.

McKayle rushed DD2 and paid for it. That $4,000 swing would have, all else being equal, put her in a tie for first going to FJ! It didn't matter since Zach solved FJ! and she didn't, but it would have been interesting to see the wagers.

I had a really costly brainfart on Acronyms $2000. I got the SAL letters correct and managed to bungle the T (I said treaty), despite the fact that it was given in the clue. Good thing that happened at home rather than on stage.
Sprinkles are for winners.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yep, The Dark Man pulls out the win and gets to have a pi day show. Way to come back strong!

Of course, we were all screaming for Paris. His every correct response signalled us to take another bite of choco truffle bar or Little Debbie Nutty Buddy and wash it down with hot cocoa. In the J! round, we gobbled that stuff down with great abandon and hooted our approval. In DJ!
a lonely morsel was poised at my lips and ready to be chomped for what seemed like forever. My kids cried foul when they saw me take a nibble while Zach maintained control.

I did not know FJ. Mildred Pierce came briefly to mind, but I knew it was too early.

Now, I'm going to take advantage of the sugar high and vacuum.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I spent most of the think music struggling between Fountainhead and the correct answer (which I ended up going with).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

If either of the two players who correctly solved FJ! wanted to be really clever, they could have written and crossed out "Who is John Galt?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Now I feel like an idiot. I was trying to remember which one had Howard Roark, figuring his being an architect was the business connection. I decided it was Atlas Shrugged. I didn't realize I was wrong until I Googled it just now. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember The Fountainhead is about an architect because a fountainhead sounds like something an architect might design. I still wrote down both of her books, but crossed out the wrong one and got it right.

We had another category be out of whack thanks to the time shift. But it made Zach’s story much more timely.

Congrats to Zach on getting to play on his anniversary.

Paris seems like a nice guy, but that movie was creepy to me.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Rand didn't even occur to me, snapping a streak of something like 15 straight FJ solves.

I didn't mind not being able to come up with this one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Papp in P+3.

Strangely, the top box was my only miss in It's Trademarked. I just couldn't sift through all the synonyms to get to "seeing eye dog" in time.

I know that Atlas Shrugged was written in the 1950s by a woman named Ayn Rand. But none of that surfaced in the 30 seconds. Another 30 seconds and I might have dredged it up, but I just had nothing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm All but Papp in P+3.

Strangely, the top box was my only miss in It's Trademarked. I just couldn't sift through all the synonyms to get to "seeing eye dog" in time.

I know that Atlas Shrugged was written in the 1950s by a woman named Ayn Rand. But none of that surfaced in the 30 seconds. Another 30 seconds and I might have dredged it up, but I just had nothing.
My apologies for including you in my remarks. You have heard of the work. We'll take it. You were in better shape than me as it sounds like if you had had it down to a 50:50 you would have gone the right way. And, for one of the right reasons with the decade knowledge.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm My apologies for including you in my remarks. You have heard of the work. We'll take it. You were in better shape than me as it sounds like if you had had it down to a 50:50 you would have gone the right way. And, for one of the right reasons with the decade knowledge.
I think the other factor is that I keep forgetting that she also wrote The Fountainhead. I guess either it's because Atlas Shrugged is a more Hawley-Smootish title in my mind, or because I remember Atlas Shrugged being referenced in an early South Park episode.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

So here's a "nice problem to have" complaint...

My Jeopardy study includes lots of flashcards I've made for pavlovs. Naturally, every show might feature one or two of those flashcards.

But so far this week, the writers have trotted out at least a dozen of my study flashcards. (between the seven wonders and the amendments and Ben Hur's author and Messina and...)

On the one hand, it's awesome to have my study material validated.

On the other hand, some effort feels wasted given that the chances of a "Seven Ancient Wonders" category in the TOC are now greatly reduced! Do I even bother keeping those flashcards in the rotation?

(of course the answer is yes - half the fun is the learning! :) But the mix of pride and frustration makes me smile so i felt compelled to share...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
davey

Post by davey »

I've never been much interested in reading Rand but still I love the sheer outrageousness of the movie of The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal. (Hey, Willie Wonka connection!) So I knew the book was too early to be '50s, and I went with the other one...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RobW wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm So here's a "nice problem to have" complaint...

My Jeopardy study includes lots of flashcards I've made for pavlovs . . .

some effort feels wasted given that the chances of a "Seven Ancient Wonders" category in the TOC are now greatly reduced! Do I even bother keeping those flashcards in the rotation?
Don't worry--those categories will show up time and again before the next TOC rolls around. Just narrow your study down to, um, everything. :lol:

I know how you feel, though. Prior to my taping, if I watched a show and got a lot of answers, I'd shake my fist at the screen and shout, "Stop using up all the stuff I know!"
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I just came to the thread to see if anyone had already mentioned Paris' famous past. :D I've seen him on a couple of other game shows over the years, and he tends to not mention Mike Teevee.

Put me in the "picked Fountainhead instead of Atlas Shrugged" category.
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

I was a devotee of Ayn Rand's writings back in the day, and read (and re-read) Atlas Shrugged several times. Indeed, I heard her speak about the book in a public forum. It is inconceivable that she would have characterized Atlas Shrugged as a business book. Rather, it is a sweeping novel, with a strong philosophical theme (what happens when wo/men of the mind go on strike), that has business people as several of its central characters. The wording of the FJ clue was misleading.

Jasper
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: Cuba, Lew Wallace, citizen, Molly Pitcher, Blade Runner 2049, Messina, Taiwan Strait DD
FJ: 1950's + by a woman + 1000 pages = Atlas Shrugged. Business was a bonus. Given NYT's leftist lurch, I can imagine what they would say today...