LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Peachbox »

Another loss despite matching my opponent in correct answers. Sigh.

play_better_defense
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Never heard of quadrille before. I also precalled the Tongan flag waver before seeing the picture. It was pretty big news in 2016 when Kathie Lee and Hoda were fawning all over him during the opening ceremonies.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm
cf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Never heard of quadrille before. I also precalled the Tongan flag waver before seeing the picture. It was pretty big news in 2016 when Kathie Lee and Hoda were fawning all over him during the opening ceremonies.
I think I had quadrille as a wrong answer for a card game question in a recent LL season. This time I was right
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
Presidents and prime ministers are not necessarily mutually exclusive. France and Israel have both, for example.

Ireland most certainly does have a PM! The presidency is mostly ceremonial. The title is Taoseaich.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
Presidents and prime ministers are not necessarily mutually exclusive. France and Israel have both, for example.
Ireland most certainly does have a PM! The presidency is mostly ceremonial. The title is Taoseaich.
I'm gonna take a gamble on this assumption, but I doubt LL would call them the Prime Minister if the intended answer was Ireland. They'd flat out use Taoiseach. (Or, more technically in this clue, Tanaiste, since this was about the Deputy PM. Or a more generic "first in line head of government successor" which would just be evil.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Reddpen, I know Busby Berkeley from all the over-the-top dance numbers in the musical films he was involved with.

Once again, I'd like to thank Georgette Heyer and (IIRC) Jane Austen for helping me learn about quadrille.

MD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This:
Spoiler
was on a recent Only Connect, and I got that from the first clue, then
Spoiler
attempted to name all the movies* as the clues were revealed.
Spoiler
I missed The World's End, probably calling it At World's End or something. That's one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Playing along with yesterday's MD, I settled on Strictly Ballroom, one of my favorite movies, after naming all three for Q3. I've still never managed to tolerate the audio-visual assault of Moulin Rouge long enough to watch more than a few minutes of it at a time.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

This has been my best season yet. I'm answering 23% more questions than normal, and my DE is an incredible .826. Combine those with a surprise win over the rundle leader yesterday, and I'm now improbably in the promotion zone to go up to B next season. Let's see how long that lasts...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 amMD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"
That stings! Ouch :|
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am MD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"
I put Sharon, but I fully expected that the answer would be Netanyahu's predecessor, which I asked about on the last TD game and couldn't remember. Still lost, but that was a relief to get right.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'm disappointed not to get credit for 'sigma' instead of 'six sigma'. I knew the answer, I just thought he was looking for the statistical symbol.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 am I'm disappointed not to get credit for 'sigma' instead of 'six sigma'. I knew the answer, I just thought he was looking for the statistical symbol.
But the methodology is branded as Six Sigma, so sigma wouldn’t be enough

I do project management, so I’ve been raked over the six sigma coals. Those fishbone diagrams are enough to give anyone a migraine

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Hey Woof, how about that Q3, eh? :lol:
Peachbox wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm Another loss despite matching my opponent in correct answers. Sigh.
On MD11 I was finally on the right side of one of these - 6(3)-3(3) getting the same three questions right. :shock:

As expected, I am providing a solid floor to the private Rundle standings... :oops: :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am
I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Mad props to Christian pop punk Ghoti Hook for finally doing something worthwhile and helping me get that question.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
Learned this back in high school. Seeing your avatar kept it in my mind.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yep. I have you to thank for that. ☺
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So, about that whole "stumbling across the answer after seeing the clues thing..." :lol:
(Nah, I was good, and also, thanks! Didn't help with a win, I got out answered, but every bit on the road to 100 helps.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hahaha. I don't know how many times I've seen your avatar, and I didn't even think about that yesterday (knew it anyway). My opponent, however, was one of the 5% who knew Diebenkorn, thus defeating me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

More people getting Six Sigma correct than Nightingale sort of blew my mind. I knew Six Sigma from work, but didn't expect it to be common knowledge.

On MD 13 I couldn't believe only 69% got gerrymander. I thought that was trivia 101 and expected a 90%+ get rate. I wonder what threw people off?