LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am
I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
I was certain that at least one two boardies would get at least one right yesterday.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

+1 on the woof assist to get me a 3(3)-3(3) tie. I should have won, but I out-thunk myself going for Skylark. You'd think I know better on the Keats/Shelley/Byron stuff by now and still mess things up on them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:06 am More people getting Six Sigma correct than Nightingale sort of blew my mind. I knew Six Sigma from work, but didn't expect it to be common knowledge.
I almost didn't get it. I knew it was something sigma and while pondering it, I happened to look at my opponent's record, which was 6-6-1 and then the light bulb went on. :)
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Thanks for the assist, Woof! I won't mention the boardie who seems to be less familiar with your av. ;)
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

My opponent, with a career .500 in Art, managed a great pull with Diebenkorn, which I had put the 3 on with some confidence. Led to a tough 7(5) - 8(5) loss. Had nightingale right away; almost switched to skylark but stuck to my guns.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Chalk up another LLama grateful for Woof's avatar here!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am
I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
never even noticed it :oops:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:06 am More people getting Six Sigma correct than Nightingale sort of blew my mind. I knew Six Sigma from work, but didn't expect it to be common knowledge.
I first heard the term at Geek Bowl, and then someone had recently mentioned it in one of my business classes, so it was fairly fresh in my mind.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Did anybody else go with Kaizen instead of Six Sigma? My workplace brought in a Kaizen team awhile back, and they tried to change everything. Tons of union grievances later, everything went back to normal.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was totally off base and went with ISO 9000, which is at least something I’ve heard of. Happy to say that six sigma had, until yesterday, been a statistical term only for me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 pm Did anybody else go with Kaizen instead of Six Sigma? My workplace brought in a Kaizen team awhile back, and they tried to change everything. Tons of union grievances later, everything went back to normal.
But how's your takt time?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really thought that I had my first ever 9(6) yesterday when I saw that my educated guesses paid off on Swank (never would have guessed any of the other four) and Mailer...but then it turned out that that statue wasn't actually The Thinker! Granted, I wasn't sure about the statue, either, and I noticed the rope around the neck, but I couldn't think of any famous statues that depict someone's death.

I still won, but oddly, my opponent only knew Mailer despite being weak in Literature and was rewarded with 3 points.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Tough set for BarrettM and I yesterday. I somehow remembered reflexive to give myself the 1 (2)-0 (1) win. The Oscar question was one of the fastest zeros I've ever given....which one did you go with, Mark? I picked Rainer, not entirely sure on any of the others.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My first 0-fer yesterday. Fortunately it coincided with my dreaded matchup against a 13 game winner whose one loss was a forfeit.

Steven, good call on the rope around the neck. I feel oblivious for not noticing it until now.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Brutal match day. Looked at the questions and thought oh no, no, no. Forgot about the dying gaul- figured it had to be Atlas holding up the world, while sporting a fancy collar

Got 1 pt. for Swank (sorry, Annette!) and nothing else.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:35 am My first 0-fer yesterday. Fortunately it coincided with my dreaded matchup against a 13 game winner whose one loss was a forfeit.

Steven, good call on the rope around the neck. I feel oblivious for not noticing it until now.
That's not a rope; it's a torc.

I did think of The Dying Gaul (which I had only heard of from looking at prior LL questions), but to me that didn't look like a face of a man dying and I don't think of "dying" as "doing what." I guess I should have said dying anyways cause I couldn't think of any other statue that fit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 am Tough set for BarrettM and I yesterday. I somehow remembered reflexive to give myself the 1 (2)-0 (1) win. The Oscar question was one of the fastest zeros I've ever given....which one did you go with, Mark? I picked Rainer, not entirely sure on any of the others.
I usually suck at movie questions, but I figured the reason to ask is if the most recent winner just joined. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I guess I was closer than I thought with my BWA attempt of "Looking at His Bracket After an Upset".

That was one tough set of questions. I was surprised Dixie polled as low as it did. I totally missed the surveyor connection, but after fishing around for a while, came up with it.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am
ouachiouat wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 am Tough set for BarrettM and I yesterday. I somehow remembered reflexive to give myself the 1 (2)-0 (1) win. The Oscar question was one of the fastest zeros I've ever given....which one did you go with, Mark? I picked Rainer, not entirely sure on any of the others.
I usually suck at movie questions, but I figured the reason to ask is if the most recent winner just joined. :)
After I answered with "Vivien Leigh" -- in an abbreviated career she didn't do much of anything of note besides GWTW and Streetcar.... arguably That Hamilton Woman -- it also hit me that Frances McDormand was probably correct and the impetus for the question. What made that aspect a little tricky was that she's been nominated several times in a supporting role.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am
Yeah, I figured McDormand prompted the question. I was pretty sure of Luise Rainer (there was an article in Entertainment Weekly about how she left Hollywood very soon after her second Oscar) and Sally Field (I had remembered that she had won in all her nominations before her supporting nomination for Lincoln). Leigh and Swank make sense but I would never have dredged them up.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.