Monday, March 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Monday, March 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am Anyone else go for Medicaid? I thought of Medicare right away, but for some reason talked myself out of it. It was one of those where after the 30 seconds was up I had no idea why I thought Medicaid was the better answer, but that's the X factor the time limitation creates.
Medicare and Medicaid came on about the same time; however, since Medicaid is designed more for needy folks (as opposed to Medicare being for older folks) meant that Medicare was the proper one. I don't think the Trumans were exactly destitute in 1965.

And, BTW, if you ever mention to an elder person that they are on Medicaid, they will quickly correct you and have daggers coming out of their eyes at you while doing so.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm Does it help that I deal with both of these on a daily basis in my job? ;)
I was born in 1965 AND work for SSA, so I had no choice but to get this one right! :lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm
And, BTW, if you ever mention to an elder person that they are on Medicaid, they will quickly correct you and have daggers coming out of their eyes at you while doing so.
It's worse than that. The majority of those better off ones that purchase the "supplemental" for a couple hundred bucks a month don't even realize they are on Medicare! They think they are paying their way in the private markets. Let's see, a typical 64 year old premium is $24K/year. What would an 80 year old's premium cost be under the(broken) system of insurance?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Has it been established whether the Ephesian temple answer could legitimately be either "Diana" or "Artemis" (seeing as how they're considered two names for the same goddess)?
earendel

Post by earendel »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:32 am Has it been established whether the Ephesian temple answer could legitimately be either "Diana" or "Artemis" (seeing as how they're considered two names for the same goddess)?
I'd count it if only because the book of Acts references the temple and "Diana of the Ephesians" (Acts 19:28).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

earendel wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am
da Doctah wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:32 am Has it been established whether the Ephesian temple answer could legitimately be either "Diana" or "Artemis" (seeing as how they're considered two names for the same goddess)?
I'd count it if only because the book of Acts references the temple and "Diana of the Ephesians" (Acts 19:28).
There's J! precedence too, assuming that the TSes here are what Alex said (X or Y) and in the last one,
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1167 (TS)
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2899 (TS)
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4676 (TS)
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=887
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

There is no excuse for all three of those players to miss Laurie Metcalf! "M" be damned. Flip through an Entertainment Weekly - it takes 15 minutes!

Laurie's having an amazing career - loved her in Getting On, Lady Bird, A Doll's House, Part Two and I can't wait to see what she does in Three Tall Women opposite Glenda Jackson
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 pm There is no excuse for all three of those players to miss Laurie Metcalf! "M" be damned. Flip through an Entertainment Weekly - it takes 15 minutes!
And take the chance of encountering a K********n story? If I want to get stupider I'll watch Fox News :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 pm There is no excuse for all three of those players to miss Laurie Metcalf! "M" be damned. Flip through an Entertainment Weekly - it takes 15 minutes!
And take the chance of encountering a K********n story? If I want to get stupider I'll watch Fox News :lol:
During the month last year between the call and taping, recognizing that pop culture was a major weakness, I made a special effort to watch Entertainment Tonight and E! News. After a couple of episodes, I decided I'd rather miss a question or two than endure the torture.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:29 pm
During the month last year between the call and taping, recognizing that pop culture was a major weakness, I made a special effort to watch Entertainment Tonight and E! News. After a couple of episodes, I decided I'd rather miss a question or two than endure the torture.
I read the arts pages of a major newspaper. High and pop culture, pretty well covered. No need for E! News.
That said, I blanked on Laurie Metcalf's name, despite having seen her in everything morbeedo mentioned and more (except Three Tall Women...yet). It happens... :roll:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:29 pm
EW is not as low brow as those entertainment news shows. EW has book reviews!!