LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 am Tough set for BarrettM and I yesterday. I somehow remembered reflexive to give myself the 1 (2)-0 (1) win. The Oscar question was one of the fastest zeros I've ever given....which one did you go with, Mark? I picked Rainer, not entirely sure on any of the others.
You did not like the questions much more than I did. Congrats on the win. I knew the best I was looking at was a tie with my expected 0(1). At least I defended correctly giving you a 1 for the math to go along with the zero as well for the actresses. I went with Swank while also knowing Field and Rainer were good. Only needing one I moved on without taking the time to realize the current events angle and McDormand being another. Leigh being the last one is outside my knowledge bank.

I've never had a 0(0), but that set almost did the trick. I had Georgetown for the English surveyor question thinking Washington was the surveyor born in the 1730s. 1732 not 1733. I should know that.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am I guess I was closer than I thought with my BWA attempt of "Looking at His Bracket After an Upset".

That was one tough set of questions. I was surprised Dixie polled as low as it did. I totally missed the surveyor connection, but after fishing around for a while, came up with it.
I overthought Dixie and wrote "Appalachia". I also talked myself out of "reflexive" on the math question. On the other hand, I guessed right on Sally Field, who was in the news recently for trying to fix up her son with figure skater Adam Rippon.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

45 24 32 35 28 16 % Correct (Leaguewide)
So it wasn't just me who thought MD15 was brutal. :lol:

Tied 0(1)-0(0) in D Summit 2 and lost by "only" 0(1)-1(1) in the Jundle, and somehow that feels like a lucky result.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I wanted to guess the actress who starred in 'Boys dont' t cry' and 'Million dollar baby', but wracked my brain for hours and couldn't come up with her name. Audrey Hepburn had 1 win and a bunch of nominations - my best guess when that didn't come.

My worst LL league day in several years. I only got Dixie.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I put "expiring" instead of "dying" for Q6. No luck from Thorsten. Still got the W in the public Rundle, but cost me a win in my private Rundle.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I know it's only an E rundle, but only 4 of 24 players in E Mag D2 got more than 1 question right yesterday. I only got Q1 with McDormand, and considered Dixie but didn't make the connection to Mason-Dixon thinking that was more of an 1820s creation than 1760s. Wouldn't have mattered as my opponent actually got 3 right including the art question when previously being 5 for 35 in art...I'm still sitting in 16th place despite being 5th in TCA and 8th in DEF in the rundle. Doesn't help having 5 non-wins when answering more questions correct than my opponent.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I seem to be lucky this season, although 2 days ago was my first loss because of defense. Today I played the only other player in my rundle who also got zero correct, so we tied.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Luise Rainer was the only one I could think of. I bet that puts me in a tiny minority among people who got that question right. If I'd had to name two, I would have guessed Jodie Foster, who would have been a correct response between 1992 and 1995.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 pm Did anybody else go with Kaizen instead of Six Sigma? My workplace brought in a Kaizen team awhile back, and they tried to change everything. Tons of union grievances later, everything went back to normal.
FYI, kaizen is Japanese for "improvement."
Sprinkles are for winners.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Three WAGs in one day correct...the mean...I’m reverting to it!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 amThat was one tough set of questions. I was surprised Dixie polled as low as it did. I totally missed the surveyor connection, but after fishing around for a while, came up with it.
I did think of Mason and Dixon, and had heard someone on a podcast on my drive to work refer to "whistling 'Dixie,'" I somehow didn't manage to make any connections and couldn't pull the answer out.

Then the brand name of the paper plates in my office mocked me. I should have done LL after lunch.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am That was one tough set of questions. I was surprised Dixie polled as low as it did.
Ditto. I bet a lot of people did a face palm after seeing Dixie upon submitting.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I would have gotten a 9(6), but I answered "All in the Family" to the Alf Garnett question. Luckily it was an easy question, and Clerihew was an easy 3 to assign, so I won 7(5)-6(5) in my public match, and 8(5)-5(4) in private.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:45 am I would have gotten a 9(6), but I answered "All in the Family" to the Alf Garnett question. Luckily it was an easy question, and Clerihew was an easy 3 to assign, so I won 7(5)-6(5) in my public match, and 8(5)-5(4) in private.
My response after seeing the answers was "A cleri-WHAT!?!?"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:45 am I would have gotten a 9(6), but I answered "All in the Family" to the Alf Garnett question. Luckily it was an easy question, and Clerihew was an easy 3 to assign, so I won 7(5)-6(5) in my public match, and 8(5)-5(4) in private.
I said the same thing about that and the Rohingya, but I was in the clear minority on the latter.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I thought I'd run across "scalar" before in LL. It was on the Midseason Classic last March, and I got it wrong. This time I got it right.

By the way, I'm going to play 45 , 24, 32, 35, 28, and 16 in Mega Millions.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I actually remembered clerihew from a children's book on poetry I read back in elementary school. I have no idea how I retained that particular one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Because a post here about it has been my reminder on various occasions, I say: good luck in the Mid-Season Classic, everyone!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 am
I said the same thing about that and the Rohingya, but I was in the clear minority on the latter.
I hadn't noticed the get rate on that. What the heck? Two-thirds of the entire league knew that one?! It was an absolute NHOI from me.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 am
I hadn't noticed the get rate on that. What the heck? Two-thirds of the entire league knew that one?! It was an absolute NHOI from me.
I have to assume current events isn't your strong suit, because the Rohingya have been in the news a lot recently. Nobel Peace Prize winner and current Myanmar head of government Aung San Suu Kyi has taken a lot of heat for her inaction in the Rohingya crisis.