TD 371 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 3xx (FINAL RESULTS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 371 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 3xx (FINAL RESULTS)

Post by floridagator »

This is not merely a TD, but the second in a RING of EIGHT TDs. The theme of this ring of TDs is Classic Area Codes. Until 1995, all area codes had 0 or 1 as their middle digit. Those are the classic North American area codes. There will be a TD for each starting digit, 2 through 9. You don't need to know anything about area codes to play or succeed. Read the questions. Many are EASY!

To up my game, there will be an ACTUAL AWARD for the winner of the ring of eight TDs. To be eligible to win an Amazon gift card, you must participate in all eight TDs. Winner will be the one with the lowest total score.

Each TD in the ring will have at least one visual question, at least one aural question, at least one sports question, and one before and after question.

I don't want to take over TDs for eight weeks. However, you will notice TD 371 has been posted even before TD 370 closes on Monday morning, March 12. I would be more than happy to spread my TDs out, so would someone please get a TD ready to post on March 18-19?

Standard TD rules apply. For each question below, there are a number of choices. Choose one as your answer. Think Different is scored by the number of people who submit the same answer. It's best to be the only person who chooses a particular answer. The most common answer is called the sheep. You don't want to be a sheep. Incorrect answers get the sheep score plus five points. Low score wins. Bonus questions will allow you to reduce your score by up to five.

You may drop one question and sheep one question. (To sheep means to accept the highest score on a question without fear of giving an incorrect answer.) No research! Your answers must come from your head; not your reference library, search engine or your neighbor who writes for a quiz show. This TD closes Monday, March 19 at 9:00 AM EDT.

Submit your answers here

For information only, here's the area code map from the classic period. Note how simple it is compared to today's area code map.

Finally, I would like to put a halt to people asking questions about the questions in the forum. Providing more clarification isn't fair to people who submit early. Please advise me privately if I have made some error in constructing the TD, but do not expect me to provide more information about the clues. If you're not sure something is a correct answer, don't use it. There must be some you're absolutely sure about.

On with the TD...

301 - MARYLAND

Answer one of these questions about state and provincial postal abbreviations. Be careful: All of these ask for the name of the state or province, not the abbreviation. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • What state's postal abbreviation is the name Paul Simon said we could call him?
  • What state's postal abbreviation is also the monogram of the government agency that provides our fighting men and women with hospitals and cemeteries?
  • What state's postal abbreviation is a common conjunction?
  • What state's postal abbreviation also refers to Arabian Nights?
  • What state's postal abbreviation is sometimes confused with the largest city in the west?
  • Name either the state or Canadian province whose postal abbreviation is a preposition. (Will be scored separately)
  • What state gave up its abbreviation when Canada also adopted two-letter abbreviations?
  • What state's postal abbreviation is a homonym for the opposite of full?
  • What state's postal abbreviation is the same as the Internet country code for Canada?
  • Arguably the least feminist state, its postal abbreviation is nevertheless a badge of feminism.

302 - DELAWARE

Delaware is the Diamond State. Identify one of these cuts of diamond. LETTER REQUIRED.

303 - COLORADO

Name a peak in the Colorado Rockies.

304 - WEST VIRGINIA

John Denver accidentally immortalized the state of West Virginia in his song "Take Me Home, Country Roads." "Almost Heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River..." But wait, you say. Those places aren't in West Virginia. Alas, it was one of the greatest boners in music history. Denver didn't know West Virginia was a state; he thought when people said WV, they were talking about western Virginia. So he wrote a song about western Virginia. But it stuck in the Mountain State.

Name a song written and/or recorded by John Denver.

305 - FLORIDA

Answer one of these questions about companies headquartered in Florida. LETTER NOT REQUIRED
  • Name the popular Italian restaurant chain owned by Darden Restaurants, based in Orlando
  • What rental car company (which is no longer #1) for many years used O.J. Simpson as its pitchman?
  • What railroading company was formed by the merger of Chessie (ne Chesapeake & Ohio) and Seaboard?
  • What office supply giant took over rival OfficeMax after plans for a different merger were thwarted by the Justice department?
  • What Daytona-based company is the first acronym in stock-car racing?
  • Subscribe to this three-letter Boca Raton security company and you can put an octagonal sign on your property.
  • What rental truck company's vehicles were used to bomb both the World Trade Center and the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building?
  • What banana company is headquartered in Ft. Lauderdale, not so far north of the very, very tropical equator?
  • What Fort Lauderdale-based chain of car dealerships was founded by Wayne Huizenga?
  • What Lakeland-based supermarket chain is owned by its employees, not the public?

306 - SASKATCHEWAN

Saskatchewan's capital is Regina, which means queen. Name a reigning monarch.

307 - WYOMING

Wyoming is unique because of the Great Basin, which doesn't get drained to the ocean. Name a U.S. river that empties directly into the ocean and drains more than one state.

308 - NEBRASKA

The history of Nebraska is greatly linked to the development of the Union Pacific, the country's first transcontinental railroad. It built west from Omaha and its yard in North Platte is the largest in the world. Answer one of these questions about railroads. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • The only truly transcontinental railroad in North America is this one built through the Great White North above the great lakes, across the prairies, and over the Rocky Mountains at Kicking Horse Pass
  • What is the one-word nickname of the railroad that built outward from St. Louis and eventually reached the Gulf of Mexico but never crossed the Rocky Mountains?
  • What is the two-word name of the railroad (from which folks get the time of day) that was celebrated in an Oscar-winning song?
  • What is the one-word name of the ill-fated railroad created from the remnants of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the New York Central, the Central of New Jersey, and the Reading Railroad?
  • What railroad baron ran the Great Northern, the Northern Pacific, and the CB&Q from his headquarters in St. Paul, Minnesota?
  • What prison city in California is home to a famous railroad loop where a train longer than 84 cars will cross over itself?
  • What nearly exclusively passenger railroad carries people due east from New York City?
  • What Amtrak train passes through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia and is named for the state birds of all those states?
  • What Illinois Central express was celebrated in song by Arlo Guthrie and Willie Nelson, among others?
  • If you want to shuffle off to Buffalo, you might want to get on board this Amtrak train that runs from New York City or Boston to Chicago.

309 - ILLINOIS

One of the remarkable things about the Prairie State is how it is criss-crossed by interstate highways. In part, this is because of the delicate nature of Illinois politics whereby whenever something is built in greater Chicago, something also has to be built downstate. This means Illinois has interstates in places where there aren't even many people. Answer one of these questions about interstate highways. LETTER REQUIRED.
  • A. What is the only two-digit east-west (even-numbered) interstate that goes directly to Canada?
  • B. What interstate connects Logan Airport with Seattle?
  • C. Be sure you don't mistake the interstate number with the speed limit on this interstate that connects New Brunswick (both of them) to Miami
  • D. What president was the Interstate Highway System posthumously named for?
  • E. I-35 runs from the shore of Lake Superior to the Rio Grande. It splits into I-35W and I-35E twice along its route. Name the two metropolitan areas where this happens. (A correct answer will have the names of four cities.)
  • F. No American route has the cache of Route 66, lending its name to a song and a TV series. This splendid route has been supplanted by interstates. Name the three interstate highways that have replaced Route 66 over the greatest length of its route from Chicago to Barstow.
  • G. What interstate number appears in both the Centennial State and the state where history was made 100 years earlier?
  • H. For what president is most of I-88 named?
  • I. What interstate runs from the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge to the George Washington Bridge?
  • J. What two-digit interstate passes through Las Vegas?

312 - ILLINOIS

Identify one of these Chicago landmarks. (Do not name something in the background of the photos under penalty of sheep +5.)

313 - MICHIGAN

Detroit is the Motor City, or Motown. It has been for more than 100 years. Motown Records was founded there, before Berry Gordy went west.

Listen to this audio clip and name one of these classic Motown songs and its artist.

BONUS
Before becoming associated with cars, Detroit's nickname was City of the _______. (-1 point)

314 - MISSOURI

The old 314 has been greatly shrunken so that now it only includes St. Louis. In its classic period, the 314 included all of eastern Missouri, including Hannibal on the Mississippi.

Name a work by Mark Twain.

315 - NEW YORK

The 315, in its classic period, included the longest part of length of the Erie Canal. If you're not ready to use a lifeline because you've had enough of all the geography questions in this TD, answer one of these questions about canals. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • What canal in the heart of Ottawa becomes a large skating rink during the capital's long winter?
  • What governor and presidential namesake is credited as the founder of the Erie Canal?
  • What two major rivers that flow directly to the sea are connected by the Champlain Canal?
  • Lynn Canal is a natural canal, not manmade, and it's a major thoroughfare in which state?
  • An adventurous boater can use the Trent-Severn Waterway to pass between what two Great Lakes?
  • What senator and presidential candidate was born under the U.S. flag in the Panama Canal Zone?
  • What former city in California (now annexed to another) once had a grid of backyard canals (nearly all gone) like its namesake in Europe?
  • What canal would someone traverse to get around Niagara Falls?
  • What river was widened and deepened over time to allow ships to pass from the East River to the Hudson?
  • What canal connects the Mediterranean with the Red Sea?

316 - KANSAS

You know how to do it. Combine two clues into an overlapping answer. Example: Current supreme court justice who wrote the Declaration of Independence: Clarence Thomas Jefferson.
  • Burt Bacharach-Hal David song famously recorded by Dionne Warwick and inspired a cross-country journey through Kansas starring Steve Martin and John Candy
  • KC suburb who played Richard Mulligan's nurse on Empty Nest
  • Kansas City-born saxophonist who practically invented bebop and then went on to star in "Dazed and Confused" and "Best in Show"
  • Topeka-born female penned the words "We real cool. We left school. We lurk late. We" and thousands of reviews of Broadway shows for the New York Times
  • This El Dorado-born "Beetle Bailey" creater was played by Chuck Norris in a long-running police series
  • British philosopher and logician who founded a candy company in Kansas
  • "Cheers" co-star born in Wichita who goes out on the prowl each night, walking on fences, dislodging trash can lids, killing small mammals, and sometimes engaging in coitus
  • Bea Benadaret vehicle that served as the base for T.J. McVeigh
  • The Beaver's dad (born in Lawrence) is major oil-refining center
  • Dick Grayson's aunt was born in Kinsley, Kansas and went on to produce or direct many excellent comedies starring his wife Julie Andrews or Peter Sellers
  • Wichita-born star of "Miami Vice" is one of the country's leading manufacturers of personal care products, including Band-Aid, Tylenol, Listerene, but NOT Windex, for crying out loud
  • Hillary Clinton's Overland Park-born running mate featured the ultraparanoid Captain Queeg

317 - INDIANA

Name a winner of the Indianapolis 500

318 - LOUISIANA

Their statues are falling a-plenty. Name a Confederate general.

BONUS

For -1 point each, name these Louisiana dishes:
a. Sausage, seafood, chicken, and rice, with celery, onion, and bell peppers
b. Broth, okra, meat, roux, celery,onion, bell peppers
c. Rice, chicken liver, bell pepper, onion, celery
d. Crawfish in a roux sauce served over rice

319 - IOWA

Name a city anywhere on the length of the Mississippi River that has a television station.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
floridagator

Re: TD 371 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 3xx (NOW OPEN, ACTUAL PRIZE)

Post by floridagator »

Hey! We can't have this fall off the first page.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm Hey! We can't have this fall off the first page.
here's a fresher placeholder. please disregard the incomplete form. it's the tab key, not the enter key. minus infinity please.
btw - thank you for the TD. this was a ton of work! (for you i mean, trying to instill learnin' into us.)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sorry to have to ask, but does spelling count?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jeopardy spelling rules apply. If the pronunciation and the spelling work together, you're good. So it doesn't matter if you spell Mitt Romney without the e or with only one t. But don't add letters that don't belong or you'll be emanciptated of your singleton.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Okay. Our J! broadcast was totally pre-empted today, so I guess I'll do this instead!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Oof...tough one.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TD 371 is closing Monday morning. Don't miss out.

Also notice that TD 372 has also been posted.
floridagator

Re: TD 371 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 3xx (301 & 302 REVEALED)

Post by floridagator »

301 - MARYLAND

I hate to be a hard nose, but the instructions specifically stated that postal abbreviations were not correct answers.

Nebraska - 11 (SHEEP!)

dhkendall
merica
Woof
Cutty Sark
squarekara
Vintsanity
clprez
9021amyers
BobF
clt013
Peachbox

Montana - 9

MasterCone
ouachiouat
immaf
Tybalteon
bev nar
Ironhorse
acthomas
Rolling Rock
jbeltz

Oregon - 7

Gamawire
spell4yr
SenseiCAY
wpwells
MarkBarrett
Tabby50894
Kirbstar

Indiana - 5

Peter the Accountant
casketromance
Saturnalia
MattKnowles
Kahlua

Louisiana - 4

ElendilPickle
mennoknight
tjconn728
classicroadster

Alabama - 3

JayBoston
threearruda
sillymoose

Michigan - 3

AFRET CMS
badgerfellow
xxaaaxx

Mississippi - 3

nklotz
twelvefootboy
Sims

Ontario - 2

ajk
econgator

NO DROP OR SHEEP

UNUSED
VIRGINIA
CALIFORNIA

INCORRECT - 16

Troydozzy (AL)
guessonguessonguess (MT)
Coach P (OR)

302 - DELAWARE

I. EMERALD - 10 (SHEEP)

Coach P
Woof
clprez
Rolling Rock
Gamawire
wpwells
Peter the Accountant
ElendilPickle
threearruda
Sims

SHEEP

Troydozzy
dhkendall
Vintsanity
Ironhorse
spell4yr
AFRET CMS
econgator

C. MARQUISE - 5

squarekara
Tabby50894
Kirbstar
Kahlua
JayBoston

E. HEART - 5

Tybalteon
bev nar
MarkBarrett
casketromance
sillymoose

B. PRINCESS - 4

Cutty Sark
ouachiouat
acthomas
tjconn728

G. PEAR - 6

jbeltz
classicroadster
xxaaaxx
merica
Saturnalia
mennoknight

F. ROUND - 2

guessonguessonguess
nklotz

A. OVAL -1 (SINGLETON!)

ajk

D. ASSCHER - 1 (SINGLETON!)

MasterCone

H. SQUARE - 1 (SINGLETON!)

Peachbox

DROP

9021amyers
BobF
clt013
badgerfellow

NO UNUSED

INCORRECT - 15

I found a source for pear being called teardrop and the scores have been updated.

twelvefootboy (A- Marquise)
immaf (I- Baguette)
MattKnowles (I- Topaz)
SenseiCAY (Teardrop without letter)

STANDINGS AFTER 302

1 ajk 3
1 badgerfellow 3
3 nklotz 5
4 tjconn728 8
4 JayBoston 8
4 sillymoose 8
7 xxaaaxx 9
8 Kahlua 10
8 MasterCone 10
8 casketromance 10
8 mennoknight 10
8 classicroadster 10
13 clt013 11
13 9021amyers 11
13 BobF 11
13 Saturnalia 11
17 Tabby50894 12
17 Kirbstar 12
17 MarkBarrett 12
17 Peachbox 12
17 econgator 12
22 acthomas 13
22 ouachiouat 13
22 Sims 13
22 threearruda 13
22 AFRET CMS 13
27 bev nar 14
27 Tybalteon 14
27 ElendilPickle 14
30 Cutty Sark 15
30 jbeltz 15
30 Peter the Accountant 15
33 squarekara 16
34 merica 17
34 Gamawire 17
34 wpwells 17
34 spell4yr 17
38 twelvefootboy 18
38 guessonguessonguess 18
40 Rolling Rock 19
40 Ironhorse 19
42 MattKnowles 20
43 Woof 21
43 clprez 21
43 dhkendall 21
43 Vintsanity 21
47 SenseiCAY 22
48 immaf 24
49 Coach P 26
49 Troydozzy 26
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Woot! Two questions, two sheep responses. WTG, Woof!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My method was copy/paste into a spreadsheet and then sorting into two columns for comparison.

In 370 though not in 371: (52 players in total)

1stlvlthinker
Chestnut Mare
ihavejeoprosy
Lampy
Old Brown Shoe
Rackme32
SweepingDeveloper

In 371 though not in 370: (50 players in total)
Cutty Sark
Kahlua
Rolling Rock
Saturnalia
squarekara

Anyone see anything different?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I honestly thought that emerald cut and baguette cut were synonymous -- and I think the diagram you showed in the question could apply to either. (They are extremely similar, and I can't find a good explanation of how to distinguish one from the other.) I respectfully request that my answer NOT be counted as wrong.
Teems with quiet fun.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This web site shows differences between the emerald & the baguette cut. They are not synonymous. The one in the TD 371 diagram is clearly an emerald cut:
http://www.diamondsofchoice.com/educati ... shape.html

These two sites also discuss the differences between them:
https://www.purelydiamonds.co.uk/blog/2 ... mond-cuts/
https://www.serendipitydiamonds.com/blo ... -diamonds/
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Another vote for baguette being wrong, sorry. An emerald cut has way more facets and a distinct facet pattern that is exactly what is pictured here.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I would also like to argue that Square is absolutely wrong for H. That is a radiant cut, and there is no such thing as a square cut. "Square cut" is sometimes used as a general term to refer to any stone that is square in shape, and can include princesses, radiants, etc. It is an imprecise term and is more properly a SHAPE, it is not a cut.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

And may I point out that emerald cut was the sheep at 10 points and you got 15 points for a wrong answer. Were I to accept baguette as correct, I would have to combine it with emerald, giving everyone who said emerald and you 11 points. So you're only 4 points worse off for a wrong answer.

Keep in mind most TDs are 10-12 questions whereas these area code TDs are 17 questions plus bonus questions. The ring will have over 130 scored questions. So getting a few wrong will not hurt that much. On top of which, the winner of TD 370 didn't enter TD 371. That's like giving everyone who plays, what, -25 points?
clprez

!!

Post by clprez »

Woof wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 pm Woot! Two questions, two sheep responses. WTG, Woof!
We must be tied!
floridagator

Re: TD 371 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 3xx (303 & 304 REVEALED)

Post by floridagator »

303 - COLORADO

Like knowing cities in Manitoba, knowing more than one mountain in Colorado can get you a long way!

Pike's Peak - 15 (SHEEP)

badgerfellow
Kirbstar
guessonguessonguess
spell4yr
Ironhorse
Tybalteon
Saturnalia
Peter the Accountant
ouachiouat
BobF
immaf
MattKnowles
threearruda
merica
Coach P

Long's Peak - 4

ElendilPickle
casketromance
tjconn728
twelvefootboy

Mount Antero - 2

Cutty Sark
Woof

Mount Harvard - 2

bev nar
AFRET CMS

Mount Massive - 2

nklotz
jbeltz

SINGLETONS

classicroadster (Eagle's Nest)
wpwells (Keystone)
Gamawire (Mt. Elbrus)
mennoknight (Mt. Evans)
MasterCone (Mt. Yale)
Kahlua (Sheep Mountain - as opposed to using the sheep option)
9021amyers (Snowmass)
Rolling Rock (Summit Peak)
clt013 (Taylor Mountain)
Vintsanity (Torreys Peak)
clprez (San Luis Peak)

DROP

squarekara
xxaaaxx
JayBoston
MarkBarrett
acthomas
Tabby50894
sillymoose
ajk
econgator
Peachbox
Sims
Troydozzy
dhkendall
SenseiCAY

NO SHEEP OR INCORRECT

304 - JOHN DENVER

And Gamawire gets to play another day.

Take Me Home, Country Roads - 7 (SHEEP)

guessonguessonguess
ouachiouat
twelvefootboy
wpwells
MasterCone
JayBoston
sillymoose

Leavin' on a Jet Plane - 5

Sims (only one to get the title exactly correct)
Kirbstar
Woof
acthomas
SenseiCAY

Sunshine on My Shoulders - 5

BobF
merica
bev nar
Kahlua
ajk

Thank God I'm a Country Boy - 4

9021amyers
nklotz
xxaaaxx
Vintsanity

Annie's Song - 3

clprez
Ironhorse
Tabby50894

Calypso - 3

ElendilPickle
clt013
Troydozzy

Rocky Mountain High - 3

Saturnalia
tjconn728
dhkendall

Fly Away - 2

Cutty Sark
Peachbox

Grandma's Feather Bed - 2

AFRET CMS
squarekara

Jingle Bells - 2

casketromance
MarkBarrett

SINGLETONS

spell4yr (The Twelve Days of Christmas)
Rolling Rock (Back Home Again)
mennoknight (Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas))
immaf (Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio)
Gamawire (Singing Skies and Dancing Waters "if I don't get a singleton on this, I quit!!")
econgator (The Eagle and the Hawk)

DROP

Tybalteon
MattKnowles
threearruda
Coach P
jbeltz
classicroadster

NO SHEEP

INCORRECT - 12

Peter the Accountant (My Annie)
badgerfellow (Sunshine on My Shoulder)

STANDINGS AFTER 304

1 ajk 8
2 nklotz 11
2 classicroadster 11
4 xxaaaxx 13
4 mennoknight 13
4 econgator 13
7 MarkBarrett 14
7 Peachbox 14
9 tjconn728 15
9 JayBoston 15
9 sillymoose 15
9 clt013 15
9 Tabby50894 15
14 Kahlua 16
14 casketromance 16
14 9021amyers 16
14 jbeltz 16
18 AFRET CMS 17
19 MasterCone 18
19 acthomas 18
19 Sims 18
19 squarekara 18
23 Cutty Sark 19
23 Gamawire 19
25 bev nar 21
25 ElendilPickle 21
25 Rolling Rock 21
28 dhkendall 24
29 wpwells 25
29 clprez 25
30 Vintsanity 26
31 SenseiCAY 27
32 threearruda 28
32 Woof 28
34 Saturnalia 29
34 Tybalteon 29
34 twelvefootboy 29
34 Troydozzy 29
38 badgerfellow 30
39 BobF 31
40 Kirbstar 32
41 spell4yr 33
42 ouachiouat 35
42 MattKnowles 35
44 merica 37
44 Ironhorse 37
46 guessonguessonguess 40
46 immaf 40
48 Coach P 41
49 Peter the Accountant 42
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

So close, and yet so wrong. I wore the grooves off of a couple of John Denver albums, but couldn't get the title right. I can sing along to almost every answer here, but can't name titles to save my life. Never really paid attention to the titles of songs.

Great run through memory lane!!
--Peter
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 am 303 - COLORADO

Like knowing cities in Manitoba, knowing more than one mountain in Colorado can get you a long way!
After looking at the list, I realized that Pike's Peak was the only mountain I knew, not just in Colorado, but in the entirety of the Rockies.