Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Good luck! Another Toronto auditionee has made it... perhaps it will be our turn soon!
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm Good luck! Another Toronto auditionee has made it... perhaps it will be our turn soon!
From your keyboard to the ears of the Powers That Be!

:lol:
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

quartinsession wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm So last week, I was on vacation in Nashville and having a beer while watching a band in one of the honky tonks. I feel my phone buzz so I pull it out of my purse and IT IS FREAKIN' JEOPARDY. I got the call! Incredibly excited.

Online test: I think it was May 30, 2017 - I thought it was the worst out of the 3-4 tests I've done (I calculated between 33-35 correct) and really didn't expect to get an invite to an in-person audition.

In-person audition: Toronto on November 15, 2017

The call: March 9, 2018

Taping: April 4, 2018

Air date: week of July 23-27, 2018

😊😊😊
Break a leg!
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Anyone from the September Omaha auditions gotten the call?
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

britt408 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm Anyone from the September Omaha auditions gotten the call?
Nothing for me yet.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Just got the email for the Los Angeles audition on April 11th. I took the Pacific online test.
josephulton

Post by josephulton »

I've received an email about Los Angeles audition on April 10. Does anyone know if they are amicable to alternate audition dates? It's a bad day for me, but I don't want to throw away my shot!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

josephulton wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 pm I've received an email about Los Angeles audition on April 10. Does anyone know if they are amicable to alternate audition dates? It's a bad day for me, but I don't want to throw away my shot!
Email them explaining your situation, see what they say.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

Le Master wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:39 pm Just got the email for the Los Angeles audition on April 11th. I took the Pacific online test.
Seems fast for the March online tests. Any chance the invitation is based on last year's test?
nklotz

Post by nklotz »

Le Master wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:39 pm Just got the email for the Los Angeles audition on April 11th. I took the Pacific online test.
Wow, congrats. That's crazy quick turnaround on the March tests...
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

britt408 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm Anyone from the September Omaha auditions gotten the call?
If I’m not mistaken, an Omaha auditioner was a new contestant at the 3rd podium on March 20.
Sheepin' it real.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I have had two auditions, one in Chicago and one in Lexington, KY. I believe the invitations came 4 to 6 weeks after the online test. It has been several years since I last auditioned. I am not surprised that I was not called either time!

My score on the online test this year was a personal high at 43. Kudos to those scoring appreciably higher!

Hoping for another chance to audition!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Quantum wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:59 am I have had two auditions, one in Chicago and one in Lexington, KY. I believe the invitations came 4 to 6 weeks after the online test. It has been several years since I last auditioned. I am not surprised that I was not called either time!
Please elaborate :)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

If anyone here is in NYC, I'm planning on telling a story about my tortured experience with the Jeopardy! online tests / audition process at The Moth StorySLAM on Thursday, March 29

No guarantee I'll be called up to the stage to tell my story - like the Jeopardy! auditions, it's a random selection :roll:
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Hmm yeah he looks familiar - from Scottsdale but had family in Omaha or was originally from Omaha? I think he sat in front of me. Now I'm getting more nervous :/
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 pm
If I’m not mistaken, an Omaha auditioner was a new contestant at the 3rd podium on March 20.
Woof

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:20 am If anyone here is in NYC, I'm planning on telling a story about my tortured experience with the Jeopardy! online tests / audition process at The Moth StorySLAM on Thursday, March 29

No guarantee I'll be called up to the stage to tell my story - like the Jeopardy! auditions, it's a random selection :roll:
Break a leg!
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Sure, morbedo, in response to your request that I elaborate about being unsurprised that I was not called for the show after the audition: The audition in Chicago was probably around 2012 (give or take). It was my first online test and my first audition. Robert and (? sorry, I have forgotten the second person's name) asked each of us to give a one-minute introduction of ourselves, with an example that Robert gave. His example was information packed and high speed. While I didn't exactly say "Uh, my name is [Quantum], uh, I'm from [State] and uh . . . " I only managed to provide about half of the information that was contained in Robert's example, and it was [way] less interesting. One of the other people from the audition and I corresponded by email afterwards. This person had a very ebullient personality and great plans for the money, if she won, and it was unsurprising that to me that she was selected for the TV show.

At the second audition [in Lexington, KY], I had the advantage of familiarity with the format, but apparently didn't manage to take the advantage as well as I might have. In response to the question about my plans for the money if I won [ha, ha], I said that I would like to make a specific donation to a rather well-known charity. Robert asked me what the charity was. I am 100% sure that he knew a lot about it. But instead of immediately jumping into a comment about what a great charity they were and what they did, I no doubt looked flummoxed for about 30 seconds, before saying in a matter-of-fact way what they did.

So, if I get another chance to audition [sometime, if not this year], I have a better idea about how to show a good TV personality while remaining authentic to myself.

I am sure that my pencil and paper tests were fine, though not as high-scoring as some of the people on this board.

At the audition in Lexington, I wound up being seated next to a man who clearly knew a lot more than I did. As I was struggling to dredge up the answers to some of the questions on the written quiz, he began scratching away with his pencil almost immediately. All of the people at the audition later learned that he had been on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" and had done well, though he did not go all the way to the million-dollar prize.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Quantum wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm Sure, morbeedo, in response to your request that I elaborate about being unsurprised that I was not called for the show after the audition:
Thanks for sharing, and I wish you the best of luck!

Anyone know when they resume taping? July or August? I'm in my 9th month of swimming, so I get to suffer for another 9 months.

3 people from my group have already been on the show, so that's a little discouraging. I think all of them had auditioned before, which I find crazy because it took me YEARS just to get 1 audition
Last edited by morbeedo on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Good luck to you also, morbedo! It sounds as though you would be a really interesting contestant to have on the show!
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Quantum wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm Good luck to you also, morbedo! It sounds as though you would be a really interesting contestant to have on the show!
While this is a temporary Morbeedo thread - how's the Boston training? You've finished your last long runs and tapering a couple of weeks now? Did you go 20 or 22 miles for your last long run? Or is that not a thing now? Hope you get a decent day to run and they haven't ruined the event with all the bombing paranoia overreaction.

And I agree with Quantum. You'll make a great contestant. Amazing that they grind the fish through multiple catch and releases like this. It kind of amazes me as an outsider how much overlap there is with the other game and quiz shows also and that people can get on multiple shows with enough perseverance.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.