HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:07 pm How do these guys make money to pay people out?
If you're not buying product, you are the product.

See: Facebook, Cambridge Analytica.
...that should be a current events drop too...one sec...
Yeah.... that's what worries me. But what are they selling about me with this?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
goongas

Post by goongas »

They landed their first sponsorships. There is going to be at $250,000 jackpot on Wednesday night promoting the release of the movie Ready Player One. I also think they are going something with Nike today.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

boson wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am But it doesn't need to be 25k$ for there to be an incentive to cheat - people cheat for nothing (exhibit 1 - Learned League) and with the proliferation of copycat apps, you can make some reasonable money winning a few of these a week.
Exactly. Hell, at least one boardie admitted to cheating TD games here. And I'd bet that it still happens.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

There was a $100,000 Nike-sponsored game tonight. I made it through Q12, thinking I was among 190-odd winners, before I realized it was a 15-question quiz. As a result, I got twitchy on Q13, which I would have answered correctly had I thought about it for a few seconds, and then knew the last two questions after I was eliminated. There were four winners of $25,00 and a custom pair of Nike sneakers; so close to $20K.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

9021amyers wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 pm There was a $100,000 Nike-sponsored game tonight. I made it through Q12, thinking I was among 190-odd winners, before I realized it was a 15-question quiz. As a result, I got twitchy on Q13, which I would have answered correctly had I thought about it for a few seconds, and then knew the last two questions after I was eliminated. There were four winners of $25,00 and a custom pair of Nike sneakers; so close to $20K.
Curious how many typos you made with those numbers, or if you think the shoes actually have negative value!

I also managed to survive until q13, then was quite saddened to see the pool drop from around 200 to 4 in just 3 questions. I don’t know about the shoes but the $20K sure would’ve been nice! My kingdom for an extra life in this one!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am
9021amyers wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 pm There was a $100,000 Nike-sponsored game tonight. I made it through Q12, thinking I was among 190-odd winners, before I realized it was a 15-question quiz. As a result, I got twitchy on Q13, which I would have answered correctly had I thought about it for a few seconds, and then knew the last two questions after I was eliminated. There were four winners of $25,00 and a custom pair of Nike sneakers; so close to $20K.
Curious how many typos you made with those numbers, or if you think the shoes actually have negative value!
I think they were talking about a 5-way split on the 100k instead of a 4-way.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the most recent playing of Cash Show, they had a question about the city in Utah where the Transcontinental Railroad was completed, with Salt Lake City, Provo, and Promontory as the choices. I knew the answer and knew a lot of people would be getting eliminated. Apparently (I didn't catch this because my video feed was spotty at that point), though, Rafael mistakenly said the answer was Salt Lake City, and from that point forward the chat was an ocean of people who had answered SLC and believed they had been wrongly eliminated. Later in the game, Rafael said that according to the buzz in the chat, people were eliminated on a correct answer, and promised that those people would each get two extra lives to make up for the mistake. And then at the end he said whoops, no, SLC was indeed wrong and he just read the wrong thing, and nobody was getting any free lives.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was shocked on how few people knew the capital of Australia last night.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 pm I was shocked on how few people knew the capital of Australia last night.
I knew it was going to be a savage question, and even said so in the chat before time was up!

P.S. The Salt Lake City people in Cash Show are getting extra lives after all. I guess when tens of thousands of people believe they've been wronged all you can do is appease them.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I answered Promontory last night, I have 4 extra lives in my inbox this morning so looks like maybe everyone is getting them who played.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I had updated the Cash Show app just yesterday afternoon, but I bailed out in disgust right in the middle of that Transcon RR question. Audio had dropped out completely, video was freezing, and the "entering game" buffering symbol would pop up, causing more delay. All the while, the chat scroll seemed to be running normally. I never tapped a response at all, but I see they shot me those extra lives anyway. I am sufficiently appeased.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I played yesterday for the first time in several weeks. The game was hosted by the Rock and was plugging his new movie.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 am I played yesterday for the first time in several weeks. The game was hosted by the Rock and was plugging his new movie.
Same with me. I made it to Q12 (out of 15). There were 83 winners sharing a $300,000 prize. Each winner left with $3,600 and change!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

merica wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 am I played yesterday for the first time in several weeks. The game was hosted by the Rock and was plugging his new movie.
Same with me. I made it to Q12 (out of 15). There were 83 winners sharing a $300,000 prize. Each winner left with $3,600 and change!
That knocked me and my $800-something off the all-time leaderboard. Now there's no one in the top 100 earners who hasn't won over $3,000 in a single game.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 am
merica wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am
That knocked me and my $800-something off the all-time leaderboard. Now there's no one in the top 100 earners who hasn't won over $3,000 in a single game.
I also made it to Q12, using an extra life in the process. So close, yet so far.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Players are melting down over the domino question tonight. People refuse to believe that there are spinners in dominoes.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm Players are melting down over the domino question tonight. People refuse to believe that there are spinners in dominoes.
It's the new bird's nest soup. I didn't even know spinners were used in dominoes.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm Players are melting down over the domino question tonight. People refuse to believe that there are spinners in dominoes.
It's the new bird's nest soup. I didn't even know spinners were used in dominoes.
My grandfather was from Texas, where cards were considered taboo, so dominoes were a family tradition for us. The variant we played used the term "spinner", but apparently not in a literal context that the question intended.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 pm

It's not that dominoes uses spinners, but that there are particular dominoes called spinners.
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm My grandfather was from Texas, where cards were considered taboo, so dominoes were a family tradition for us. The variant we played used the term "spinner", but apparently not in a literal context that the question intended.
I don't see how the phrase "a piece called a spinner" conveys anything about literal spinning.

People were also melting down over this one:
Which candy company's name was formed from its founder's name and home city?
Hershey | Haribo | Necco
Spoiler
181 of 1,610 answerers said Hershey (it was Haribo, and there was a cascade of people in the chat insisting that Hershey, Pennsylvania, existed, which of course wasn't the question.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

People were also melting down over this one:
Which candy company's name was formed from its founder's name and home city?
Hershey | Haribo | Necco
Spoiler
181 of 1,610 answerers said Hershey (it was Haribo, and there was a cascade of people in the chat insisting that Hershey, Pennsylvania, existed, which of course wasn't the question.
I actually thought it was Hershey too (I did a presentation on him in college) then I remembered that Hershey is a community, not a city.