LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

The meal pictured on the Jack In The Box question is Jack's Munchie Meal. By coincidence, this was my dinner a couple of hours before MD20 questions were revealed. It might be the best deal in fast food. For $6, you get one of four stoner-inspired sandwiches (the one in the picture is the Stacked Grilled Cheese Burger; I prefer the Chick-N-Tater Melt), a generous pile of "Halfsies" (a mix of regular and curly fries), two tacos, and a soda. It's so wrong in all the right ways.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I am aware that one has to be invited to participate in the Learned League. Could you give me an idea of the Jeopardy! level that is needed, in order to be invited? And also how one would demonstrate that? Thanks!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Quantum wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:03 pm I am aware that one has to be invited to participate in the Learned League. Could you give me an idea of the Jeopardy! level that is needed, in order to be invited? And also how one would demonstrate that? Thanks!
Sending you a PM shortly.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

Quantum wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:03 pm I am aware that one has to be invited to participate in the Learned League. Could you give me an idea of the Jeopardy! level that is needed, in order to be invited? And also how one would demonstrate that? Thanks!
Yeah I guess I've also been following this thread for the past few weeks, and I have the same question
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

sillymoose wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm
Yeah I guess I've also been following this thread for the past few weeks, and I have the same question
J! and LL don't really have identical "skill sets" IMO. J! emphasizes breadth; LL is more about depth.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

sillymoose wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm
Learned League is an invite-only online trivia league where you answer 6 relatively-tough questions a day and compete head-to-head against opponents of similar levels. In the head-to-head match you not only answer questions, but play "defense" - guessing which questions your opponent will miss. A good description of it is here.

There is no minimum level of trivia that is needed - after your rookie season you get sorted into a level that suits your performance, and you can work your way up/down the ladder through promotion and relegation (like European soccer leagues). Lots of people compare LL to Jeopardy, but they are very different games, only sharing the idea that they are quizzes.

There are two cardinal rules of Learned League: don't cheat, and don't forfeit. To be invited, you need to know someone in the league, and commit to both of these rules. Your rookie season (25 match days) is free, after that it costs $30/yr.

I'm sending you a personal message to discuss an invitation. We're in the last few days of this season, next season begins mid-May.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Mid-May?? Oh no! I’ll be overseas for a few days. I hope I can get WiFi!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:39 pm We're in the last few days of this season
Didn't we just start this last week ....? Geez.

Also, just realized there are no MLs during this break. I think that's a first.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 pm Mid-May?? Oh no! I’ll be overseas for a few days. I hope I can get WiFi!
You can play match days in advance by clicking on where it says Thorsten's Desk and clicking on Advance Access. The questions usually show up at least two weeks in advance.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was right on the Family Feud question, but I was really unsure - couldn't definitively hear Richard Dawson saying it, plus I kept thinking Fast Money is the name of that crackhead Jim Cramer's stock show on CNBC. Maybe it is? Anyway, I got my 3 points (and gave up 3 points) for the lowest TCA of the day in A Taiga and another loss. Dangerously close to relegation, but hoping I stay above that line!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am I was right on the Family Feud question, but I was really unsure - couldn't definitively hear Richard Dawson saying it, plus I kept thinking Fast Money is the name of that crackhead Jim Cramer's stock show on CNBC. Maybe it is? Anyway, I got my 3 points (and gave up 3 points) for the lowest TCA of the day in A Taiga and another loss. Dangerously close to relegation, but hoping I stay above that line!
Mad Money
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am I was right on the Family Feud question, but I was really unsure - couldn't definitively hear Richard Dawson saying it, plus I kept thinking Fast Money is the name of that crackhead Jim Cramer's stock show on CNBC. Maybe it is? Anyway, I got my 3 points (and gave up 3 points) for the lowest TCA of the day in A Taiga and another loss. Dangerously close to relegation, but hoping I stay above that line!
Mad Money
Oh right, that make more sense :P
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Besides the identical 6(5)-6(5) my opponent matched me with the same defense number for each question. That's a tie all right. Neither of us were able to get PROMOTION for the three points and the outright victory. We each gave a 1 for FAST MONEY while that played as the hardest Q at only 33%.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Somehow I managed to flip the island of Hispaniola around in my head.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Pretty awesome headslap moment when I spent an hour or so trying to figure out what type of machine a seismograph is. Although it wouldn't have mattered as I couldn't get Kenneth and my opponent did. I wondered where "Whats the frequency Kenneth" came from...
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

That cost me 3 points and the game. I also flipped Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 am Besides the identical 6(5)-6(5) my opponent matched me with the same defense number for each question. That's a tie all right. Neither of us were able to get PROMOTION for the three points and the outright victory. We each gave a 1 for FAST MONEY while that played as the hardest Q at only 33%.
Nearly had the same thing happen in my match with bomtr, except that he got Fast Money while I got a giant red X with Lightning Round. Would have been my first identical tie (same score, same defense) in 28 seasons.

Thought I had a shot with Packaging, but no.
In and out of the pool four times
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 am Besides the identical 6(5)-6(5) my opponent matched me with the same defense number for each question. That's a tie all right. Neither of us were able to get PROMOTION for the three points and the outright victory. We each gave a 1 for FAST MONEY while that played as the hardest Q at only 33%.
Thanks to this business degree I'm working on, I got promotion right away.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What’s the term for changing an answer you know is right to one you know is wrong? I switched from polyester to rayon, knowing that rayon is made from cellulose, so not truly synthetic, and polyester is everywhere. Luckily I was assigned 0 for that one and escaped with a much needed 8(4)-4(4) win to avoid relegation (hopefully) in my first romp in an A Rundle. Still on track for lowest TCA of the group, but hey, as long as I survive, I’m happy. Even if I don’t, I’m sill happy!

My pop music score isn’t great but I do pretty well with the 80s/90s. So I’ll take the 3 for D’Arby :)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanks to this business degree I'm working on, I got promotion right away.
Since first hearing Product, Place, Price and Promotion decades ago in business school, I've found that applying the four P's to problem solving works in many life situations, not just in business.