LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by fowlerism »

Did pretty well this season. Wound up in the middle of B Typhoon with my highest TCA ever, tempered by a truly tough CAA. Did decent on defense. Managed to sink a full court shot and beat MaddenDavid, too, which was surprising.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Finished with a thud, with four consecutive losses (two of them by one point) to wind up 11-12-2. However, I flirted with an above-.500 finish, improved my defense (which still needs a lot of work), and tied for most 3-pointers; and most importantly, survived another season in A Horizon. There's plenty of motivation for me to do better in LL77.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Looks like virtually certain relegation for me, finishing 25th of 26 in Horizon B, by far my worst results after eight seasons, six of them in B. My TCA and DE were about as usual but my opponents kept beating me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pretty good season for me in MagA. My TCA was right in line with my norm, but I had my second highest DE. No idea why it all clicked for me this season. My very good start to the season gradually regressed to my mean, allowing me to finish a solid 10th.
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

Same for me. I'm being promoted to A Metro based primarily on being second in DE. Looks I'll be stopping by for a cup of coffee. :D
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

clprez wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:17 pm I don't know how I remember this, but I knew it was not Trouble, because of a commercial that goes something like:

Popomatic, pop the dice
Pop the six and you move twice
Race your men around the track
and try to send the others back.
Trouble, trouble that's the name
of Koner's popomatic game.
Everybody's poppin' in and out of Trouble
Everybody's poppin' the Pop-O-Matic bubble
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Weird season for me. I was ninth in Horizon A in both primary offensive stats (TCA and TMP), fifth in DE, and second in UfPA. All of that added up to a 7-15-3 record and 22nd place in the standings. The really weird thing is, my MPD was only -1, owing to a ridiculous 0-9 record in "one-run games."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I would probably have long forgotten "fire and fury" by now (I struggle even to remember whether it is "covfefe" or "cofveve", for crying out loud), except for that Red Skull caption and my curiosity then as to whether it was authentic (it wasn't).

I did just avoid relegation from A, despite dropping my last four (my rivals had similarly rough weeks). I managed 101 TCA, so if I can keep up that pace, I will reach my goal of .6666666 in twenty more years.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I managed to finish in 17th place, despite having the second lowest TCA in A Magnolia, and being 8 questions below my average TCA. My only 9(6) win was against a forfeit, which seemed sort of appropriate. Hopefully, when I have less going on at work, I will again be able to actually read the questions properly. :-)

Good play on MD25, Peachbox! Excellent defense against me.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm
No offense, but Diplomacy?!? Part of the beauty of that game is that there is no element of chance since there are no cards or dice.
I knew absolutely nothing about the game other than the name and that it exists :)
It's a great way for 7 friends to kill a whole day their friendship. You'd probably like it. A few years back, I organized a game via email. It was nice to remember how to play it be a backstabbing sociopath.
Fixed that for you. :D

But seriously, Diplomacy is a great pure game, but it's not for everybody.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to MillerC37 aka teapot37 for his win of the boardie private 'Rundle in the jundle' and thanks again to BigDaddyMatty for organizing the league. It was a challenging rundle: qpct around .670 puts it as a top-B/low A rundle.

I think we need to introduce a mandatory trash talk/congratulatory email per match to improve the camaraderie/hatred amongst the jundle.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congratulations to Vermonter who cracked the code and came up with a 'very best wrong answer' for this season. '8 simple rules for burning my heretic daughter' placed third in voting. I'd watch that 1490's sitcom.

I voted for it to place, but my winner was the perfect clerihew about clerihews from the anonymous poet who didn't know what a clerihew was. 2meta4me
Woof

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am Congrats to MillerC37 aka teapot37 for his win of the boardie private 'Rundle in the jundle' and thanks again to BigDaddyMatty for organizing the league. It was a challenging rundle: qpct around .670 puts it as a top-B/low A rundle.

I think we need to introduce a mandatory trash talk/congratulatory email per match to improve the camaraderie/hatred amongst the jundle.
Yes, a tip of the hat to Teapot, who’s been sparring with me since our time together in Rookie Rundle. Well done! I had the crazy experience of leading my A Rundle for two weeks while sitting in third in Rundle in the Jundle. Tough competition, y’all. Of course, regression to the mean in late season had me finishing 5th in my Rundle (my schedule had most of the top players in the last week of play). Thanks so much for setting that up, BigDaddyMatty.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 pm Weird season for me. I was ninth in Horizon A in both primary offensive stats (TCA and TMP), fifth in DE, and second in UfPA. All of that added up to a 7-15-3 record and 22nd place in the standings. The really weird thing is, my MPD was only -1, owing to a ridiculous 0-9 record in "one-run games."
Not sure if you saw the LL post, but you were one of the “unluckiest” players in all of LLamadom. Congrats on avoiding relegation!
Sheepin' it real.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

cmp146 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 am I managed to finish in 17th place, despite having the second lowest TCA in A Magnolia, and being 8 questions below my average TCA. My only 9(6) win was against a forfeit, which seemed sort of appropriate. Hopefully, when I have less going on at work, I will again be able to actually read the questions properly. :-)

Good play on MD25, Peachbox! Excellent defense against me.
Thanks for the good match from the person who did have the lowest TCA ! It was tough to decide which question to give a 3. And for the last one, I actually thought of parabola and went with catenary. Would have been my only 6 of the season. Oh well, back to B Magnolia and hopefully in A again soon.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:44 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 pm Weird season for me. I was ninth in Horizon A in both primary offensive stats (TCA and TMP), fifth in DE, and second in UfPA. All of that added up to a 7-15-3 record and 22nd place in the standings. The really weird thing is, my MPD was only -1, owing to a ridiculous 0-9 record in "one-run games."
Not sure if you saw the LL post, but you were one of the “unluckiest” players in all of LLamadom. Congrats on avoiding relegation!
Wow. I was not aware of that. For anyone who is curious, but not curious enough to actually go look it up, I was the 10th-unluckiest player in LL76.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

Getting promoted to A; nearly went E to D to C to B to A, but had one season with horrible enough defense to come in 6th. Cutting my forfeit rate down helped a lot. Go figure.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:49 pm Wow. I was not aware of that. For anyone who is curious, but not curious enough to actually go look it up, I was the 10th-unluckiest player in LL76.
I was the 10th unluckiest player in LL73, though I likely would have been relegated to B Horizon even with average luck: I finished 2-19-4 that season.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

fowlerism wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:54 pm Did pretty well this season. Wound up in the middle of B Typhoon with my highest TCA ever, tempered by a truly tough CAA. Did decent on defense. Managed to sink a full court shot and beat MaddenDavid, too, which was surprising.
Not only did you beat MaddenDavid, you were also one of the only few to beat my referral / rundle champ (and J! alum) SahlmannK. Nicely done!

...you also beat me, meh. :|
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.