The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 pm I didn't realize Kansas had any other important cities besides Wichita and Topeka.

Turns out Lawrence has a population of 80,000. That's nearly as big as Flint.
Since I used to have relatives living in Kansas let me add Manhattan (home of KSU) & Salina.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 pm I didn't realize Kansas had any other important cities besides Wichita and Topeka.

Yeah, we (Missouri) had to steal Kansas City from them because it was to hip for them.
It probably has come up, but the geographic center of the lower 48 states is in north central Kansas. Just about a mile from Bumfuct Egypt.
Also, just FYI, the pronunciation of the state capital is TO Puke A. At least to us...

Sometimes people move from Missouri to Kansas and raise the IQ of both states :lol: .
I'm done.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lawrence, Kansas is also well-known for its part in "Bleeding Kansas." Of course knowing that isn't necessarily going to get you to the University of Kansas.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 am Lawrence, Kansas is also well-known for its part in "Bleeding Kansas." Of course knowing that isn't necessarily going to get you to the University of Kansas.
They probably look more at GPA, ACT scores, things like that.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Since I used to have relatives living in Kansas let me add Manhattan (home of KSU) & Salina.
May as well throw in Dodge City at that point. Going by population, Overland Park, Kansas City (KS), and Olathe are all larger than Topeka. And Overland Park and Olathe are part of the huge suburban sprawl that really forms a single population center south of (though culturally distinct from) Kansas City (MO & KS). Wichita only gets to be the biggest city on a technicality.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 am Lawrence, Kansas is also well-known for its part in "Bleeding Kansas." Of course knowing that isn't necessarily going to get you to the University of Kansas.
They let me in so it can't be that hard, right?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 am Lawrence, Kansas is also well-known for its part in "Bleeding Kansas."
I associate it with "The Day After."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:45 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 am Lawrence, Kansas is also well-known for its part in "Bleeding Kansas."
I associate it with "The Day After."
I glad someone remembers that. It was some scary stuff.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm Balboa Park = zoo was very obscure. Any way I was supposed to know that?
San Diego Zoo is one of the best-known and is the most-visited zoo in the US.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Balboa Park = zoo was very obscure. Any way I was supposed to know that?

#7549, aired 2017-06-08    CITY PARKS $1200: This park named for a Spanish explorer is home to the world famous San Diego Zoo

#7479, aired 2017-03-02     ZOO-TOPIA $400: Celebrating its centennial in 2016, it occupies 100 acres in California's Balboa Park

It came up twice last season though not first box. You either learn to match Balboa Park to SD or you don't. If the 4/6 clue had been second or third box no crime while not ridiculous for top clue either. No matter what, as usual, "very obscure" is 100% false.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm It came up twice last season though not first box. You either learn to match Balboa Park to SD or you don't. If the 4/6 clue had been second or third box no crime while not ridiculous for top clue either. No matter what, as usual, "very obscure" is 100% false.
Okay, I still think it was overly California-centric and maybe should've been a box or two lower.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm It came up twice last season though not first box. You either learn to match Balboa Park to SD or you don't. If the 4/6 clue had been second or third box no crime while not ridiculous for top clue either. No matter what, as usual, "very obscure" is 100% false.
Okay, I still think it was overly California-centric and maybe should've been a box or two lower.
The category was about cities starting with San. Want to guess where most of those are?
clprez

Post by clprez »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm
The category was about cities starting with San. Want to guess where most of those are?
Not only that, but the category was "San City, California"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still leaves it at the best a coinflip of Diego/Francisco absent knowledge of the zoo.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 pm
Still leaves it at the best a coinflip of Diego/Francisco absent knowledge of the zoo.
It didn't ask for a city, it asked what was in San Diego's Balboa Park.

At least I think it did. I've already deleted the episode, so I could be wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm
But is it that widely known outside California that that's where San Diego Zoo is?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm
But is it that widely known outside California that that's where San Diego Zoo is?
Yes
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm
Yes
I should have looked up the clue and category prior to my first post about it.

SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA $200: San Diego’s Balboa Park has more than a dozen museums, a friendship garden & this attraction with 3 million-plus visitors a year

So it's an OxCam for the zoo or SeaWorld. Google has SeaWorld with 4.4 visitors a year.

The clue is naming a big San Diego attraction and knowing it's in Balboa Park is helpful though not essential to get the clue. No one is going to know the attendance differential. To me the San Diego Zoo is the more famous place.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

The Day After is certainly the big popular culture reference point for Lawrence, but is no one here a Supernatural fan?

If San Diego is world renowned for anything as much as its zoo, the only real contender is Comic-Con and that's held at the convention center, not in a park.
Last edited by Bartleby on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm Google has SeaWorld with 4.4 visitors a year.
Dang, that Blackfish movie really hurt, huh?