TD 375 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 5xx (FINAL RESULTS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 375 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 5xx (FINAL RESULTS)

Post by floridagator »

This is not merely a TD, but the fourth in a RING of EIGHT TDs. The theme of this ring of TDs is Classic Area Codes. Until 1995, all area codes had 0 or 1 as their middle digit. Those are the classic North American area codes. There will be a TD for each starting digit, 2 through 9. You don't need to know anything about area codes to play or succeed. Read the questions. Many are EASY!

To up my game, there will be an ACTUAL AWARD for the winner of the ring of eight TDs. To be eligible to win an Amazon gift card, you must participate in all eight TDs. Winner will be the one with the lowest total score.

Each TD in the ring will have at least one visual question, at least one aural question, at least one sports question, and one before and after question.

Standard TD rules apply. For each question below, there are a number of choices. Choose one as your answer. Think Different is scored by the number of people who submit the same answer. It's best to be the only person who chooses a particular answer. The most common answer is called the sheep. You don't want to be a sheep. Incorrect answers get the sheep score plus five points. Low score wins. Bonus questions will allow you to reduce your score by up to six.

You may drop one question and sheep one question. (To sheep means to accept the highest score on a question without fear of giving an incorrect answer.) No research! Your answers must come from your head; not your reference library, search engine or your neighbor who writes for a quiz show. This TD closes Monday, April 16 at 9:00 AM EDT.

Submit your answers here

For information only, here's the area code map from the classic period and from today. Note how simple the classic map is compared to today's area code map.

Finally, I would like to put a halt to people asking questions about the questions in the forum. Providing more clarification isn't fair to people who submit early. Please advise me privately if I have made some error in constructing the TD, but do not expect me to provide more information about the clues. If you're not sure something is a correct answer, don't use it. There must be some you're absolutely sure about.

On with the TD...

501 - ARKANSAS

Name a person associated with Bill Clinton. This will be scored generously, but keep it real. Naming Washington because they were both presidents or Copernicus because they're in the same volume of the encyclopedia will not result in a happy association.

502 - KENTUCKY

The "run for the roses" takes place every year on the first Saturday in May. Name one of the winners of the 11th race at Churchill Downs. (If naming the 2015 winner, don't worry so much about spelling.) A correct answer will be the name of a horse.

BONUS - Name the other two races of the Triple Crown.

503 - OREGON

Astoria, Oregon was established as a utopia by John Jacob Astor. Like most utopias, it failed to live up to its promise, but it remains a thriving place on the Columbia River (which most know flows directly to the ocean). Answer one of these questions about utopias.
  • What religious sect based in Maine is down to its last two members, because the sect believes sex is not one of the "simple gifts" and forbids it even in marriage?
  • William Penn planned his colony as a utopia based on orderliness. What major city of the United States was the first laid out on a grid?
  • What is the one word name of the planned, largely agrarian, communes of Israel?
  • Who coined the term utopia in the book of the same name?
  • What ancient scholar proposed a utopia in his Republic?
  • What colony founded by Germans in Iowa invented the side-by-side refrigerator/freezer?
  • Name either the Greek province or the mythical region claimed in English literature to be pure and unspoiled by civilization (will be scored together)
  • Where in Minnesota are the women strong, the men good looking, and all the children above average?
  • What utopian colony established in New York in 1848 is still a well-known name in silverware?
  • What garden did the Lord establish in Genesis chapter 2?

504 - LOUISIANA

Listen to this clip and give either the artist or song title by a famous jazz artist. NOTE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE CREDIT FOR EITHER THE ARTIST OR THE TITLE; YOU DON'T NEED BOTH; BUT THE LETTER IS REQUIRED.

505 - NEW MEXICO

New Mexicans are frequently frustrated when their fellow Americans don't recognize them as being part of the United States and tell them they need to pay extra for an international magazine subscription or the like. Name a state of Mexico.

506 - NEW BRUNSWICK

The Canadian province of New Brunswick is named for Braunschweig, Germany. Name a city in Germany with more than 200,000 population.

507 - MINNESOTA

The 507 is home to the Mayo Clinic, perhaps the most vaunted medical practice in the world, whose clients have included Ernest Hemingway, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Charles Lindbergh, Billy Graham, Lou Gehrig, Johnny Carson, King Hussein, and Jack Benny. (It's an old-timey list because of HIPAA; we no longer know what celebrities go there.)

Name a medical specialty.

508 - MASSACHUSETTS

Answer one of these questions about the companies of Massachusetts.
  • What company was founded in Cambridge by Edwin Land?
  • What Framingham-based chain of stores is never, ever the same place twice? (Either the store or the holding company is OK as an answer.)
  • What largest company based in the Bay State was founded by Thomas Edison in 1892 and for several decades owned NBC?
  • What two word company founded in Springfield was for decades the first name in one-word board games, marketing Life, Twister, Simon, Battleship, Yahtzee, Jenga, Trouble, Kerplunk, and Cootie?
  • How did the Floating Hospital for Children get its name?
  • Not to be confused with a Batman villain, what management consulting firm was once headed by Mitt Romney?
  • The namesake product of what alliterative Canton-based company with more than 12,000 locations worldwide once had a built-in handle to allow the consumer to carry out their namesake function?
  • What shoe brand named for an antelope is headquartered in Canton?
  • Name the man or the company he founded at a soda fountain in Quincy in 1925, which he eventually built to over 1000 locations, and whose last outlet closed in 2017.
  • What manufacturer of guided missiles headquartered in Waltham was founded as the American Appliance Company?

509 - WASHINGTON

No other place grows as much of America's most popular fruit as the 509 in eastern Washington. Name one of these apples.

512 - TEXAS

You know how to do it. Combine two clues into an overlapping answer. Example: Current supreme court justice who wrote the Declaration of Independence: Clarence Thomas Jefferson.
  • David Berkowitz served as the first president of Texas
  • Who holds the pitching strikeouts record and achieved fame hosting "American Idol"?
  • No "Coward of the County," this Rajah made it to the hall of fame playing infield for St. Louis
  • El Paso-born first woman on the Supreme Court was genetically engineered from both Superman and Lex Luthor?! (No wonder her vote was pivotal.)
  • No relation to Lex, this Waco-born wild and crazy guy started the Protestant Reformation 501 years ago.
  • This flamboyant duo performed with white tigers and rarely took off dark horn-rimmed glasses while singing "Oh Pretty Woman" and "Blue Bayou"
  • The second-largest city in Texas starred in "Desperado," "Assassins," "Evita," and "The 13th Warrior"
  • What Miss America not only married the governor of Kentucky but was elected governor of Texas twice and president twice? (BE VERY CAREFUL!)
  • Lead singer of the Supremes was defeated twice in independent bids for president
  • What hero of the Alamo lent his name to one of a pair of Miami vice cops?

513 - OHIO

Cincinnati is best known as the headquarters of Procter & Gamble. They're not making soap operas like they used to, but their stable of billion dollar brands is the most enviable on Wall Street. Name a current or former Procter & Gamble product.

BONUS - Another famous Cincinnati product is the Skyline brand of what food item?

514 - QUEBEC

Montreal is the second largest majority-French speaking city in the world. It is a very cosmopolitan place where sons and daughters of many ethnicities have risen to fame. Montrealers are represented beyond their proportions among the famous. Name one of these famous Montrealers. If more than one person is in the photo, name either. Will be scored separately.

515 - IOWA

One of the most famous works of American art came from Iowa. Name one of these iconic works of American art. (Some of them have popular titles that differ from their official names. Name either.)

516 - NEW YORK

The classic 516 consisted of all of the suburban portion of Long Island. Name a city or town in Eastern Long Island (i.e., not part of New York City), or name a regular cast member (actor or actress, not character) from the Long Island-set sitcom Growing Pains.

517 - MICHIGAN

See what you know about the cities of Michigan.
  • Glenn Miller had a gal in this southwest Michigan ville, ville, ville, ville, ville, ville
  • What region of Michigan contains Bessemer, Houghton, Marquette, Escanaba and Sault Ste. Marie?
  • What suburb of Detroit was the base for Henry Ford and his motor company?
  • What president is buried in Grand Rapids?
  • It took Paul Simon four days to hitchhike from which of the Tri-Cities?
  • What party held its 1980 presidential nominating convention at Cobo Arena in Detroit?
  • What city north of Detroit is noted for its long decline from being a manufacturing powerhouse for GM and its 2014 water crisis?
  • What home of the University of Michigan is named for a woman and a tree?
  • In what city is Kellogg's headquartered?
  • In what Michigan city will you find this iconic structure?

BONUS - Name the Tri-Cities (-1 each). You may duplicate your answer from 517.

518 - NEW YORK

The Appalachian Mountains run from Quebec to Alabama. Along the way, many of the subsidiary ranges of the Appalachians are as well known as the Apps themselves. Answer one of the following.
  • You can buy a bumper sticker if your car climbs Mount Washington in this colorful range
  • In which mountainous state west of the Delaware are most of the Poconos?
  • Name the poet known for "Song of Hiawatha" and "The Cross of Snow" who has a range named for him in Maine
  • What do you call those treeless, hairless mountains near the Georgia-North Carolina-South Carolina tri-point?
  • What state (and some of its boys) got their name from a colorful range of the northern Appalachians?
  • What range of southern New York was a resort destination in the mid-20th century known for its live entertainment?
  • What range runs from Connecticut to Vermont and isolates Pittsfield from the rest of Massachusetts?
  • What colorful range stretches from Pennsylvania down to Georgia and is particularly notable in Virginia and North Carolina?
  • What range of New York is also an iconic chair?
  • The haze sometimes doesn't clear for weeks in this range that forms the border between North Carolina and Tennessee

519 - ONTARIO

The most famous musical group to emerge from western Ontario is Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians. Listen to this clip and name one of these Guy Lombardo songs. Listen before using a lifeline. Most of them are EASY! (LETTER REQUIRED)
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 am, edited 10 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Re: TD 375 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 5xx (NOW OPEN)

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:47 pm . Most of them are EASY! (LETTER REQUIRED)
had never heard any of them in life before today
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

edited
Last edited by Ironhorse on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:47 pm . Most of them are EASY! (LETTER REQUIRED)
No clarification today needed, to avoid spoilers, although after the game is over I would find it fascinating how this could possibly be true.
BobF

Post by BobF »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:47 pm Listen before using a lifeline. Most of them are EASY! (LETTER REQUIRED)
To play off of area code 501, it depends on what your definition of easy is. (Or what your definition of most is?)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
No clarification today needed, to avoid spoilers, although after the game is over I would find it fascinating how this could possibly be true.
While I agree with pretty much everyone here, and share Casket Romance's thoughts, I think I get why floridagator said what he said and also, to avoid spoilers, will wait until after the closing to say why.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I'm getting an error when I try to click on the form.

It might just be temporary. Or it could be the gods warning me to stay away from these, since I've done so poorly in the past.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Can you try it in a different browser?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 pm Can you try it in a different browser?
It worked this afternoon. (Thanks for double checking and the fun quiz!)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Au contraire for me... I knew 11 of the 12 Lombardo tunes (tho I prefer versions by more hip, swingin' artists...) Also had correct answers for 9 of the 12 jazz tunes (both artists AND title on six). Old music is kinda my thing. :)

Now, stand back and watch as I sheeeeeeeep the bleeeep outa both questions...
BobF

Post by BobF »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 pm
Au contraire for me... I knew 11 of the 12 Lombardo tunes (tho I prefer versions by more hip, swingin' artists...) Also had correct answers for 9 of the 12 jazz tunes (both artists AND title on six). Old music is kinda my thing. :)

I'd be willing to lay 1:2 odds on one particular song being the sheep for the Lombardo question.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I don't want to post a big spoiler, but...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 pm I don't want to post a big spoiler, but...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BobF

Post by BobF »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:52 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 pm I don't want to post a big spoiler, but...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
But about 8 days late.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of that dude until the other year when he was in a bar trivia game that i proofread and fact checked
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:28 am

never heard of that dude until the other year when he was in a bar trivia game that i proofread and fact checked
I don't know if it was deliberate or arose from a mondegreen, but one of my Dad's corny "dad jokes" growing up was that the French actress Brigitte Bardot had a brother who had a band. Brigitte and Guylum Bardot.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Get off my lawn.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 pm I knew 11 of the 12 Lombardo tunes (tho I prefer versions by more hip, swingin' artists...)
I think in some cases, those were the hip, swingin' versions! :lol: I'm gonna blast 'em from my front porch to protect my lawn!
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:52 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Got through it before I ran out of patience, and it was worth it (admittedly, I have a pretty low bar this time of the afternoon).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

My superclever strategy will either work spectacularly or blow up in my face.

I have a box of bandaids ready to go.