Tuesday, April 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7737, 2018-04-10

2018 College Championship quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Jordan Goodson, a senior at Columbia University from McLean, Virginia
Dhruv Gaur, a freshman at Brown University from Gainesville, Georgia
Thatcher Chonka, a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma from Tulsa, Oklahoma

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: A senior from the University of Ottawa. Thank you, everyone. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. The second of our quarterfinal matches today, with these three talented young people. I give you credit even before you perform. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round today contains these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COLLEGE VOCABULARY (4/5)
STATES' GEOGRAPHIC CENTERS (4/5)
RECENT MOVIES (5/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
PRE-REC (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word from the dictionary that appears before "R-E-C".)
HAMLET (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Jimmy: Clues about the prince of Denmark from his native land.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dhruv: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Thatcher: 6 R, 0 W
Jordan: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dhruv: $5,000
Thatcher: $1,800
Jordan: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jordan Goodson is a senior at Columbia University who is much braver than I am. Tell me about your bungee-jumping experience.

Jordan: Yeah, so I--I backpacked Costa Rica with my sister, Taylor, and we decided to--last second--go bungee jumping. And the night before I actually started getting freaked out, started Googling "bungee jump deaths", "bungee jump accidents", and she got really angry at me, but I lived.

Alex: And this is the highest bungee jump in Central America?

Jordan: Yes, it is the highest bungee jump in Central America.

Alex: Did you do it more than once?

Jordan: Nope. I will never do it again.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Good for you. You're like me, only I will not even do it once.

Alex: Dhruv Gaur from Gainesville, Georgia. A freshman at Brown University and a long-distance runner. We're talking about marathons, now, or 10K's? What?

Dhruv: Yes, sir. So I started running when I was in the sixth grade, and--so yeah, my first marathon is gonna be this May. I ran cross-country throughout high school; I've run a couple half-marathons, and I'm really excited about it.

Alex: You should be. That's a good way to stay fit.

Alex: Thatcher Chonka from Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a special dream. It has to do with football.

Thatcher: Right. I would love to get the chance to be an offensive coordinator at the college or NFL level, so I'm hoping that the staff at OU, just to start, will maybe see this and give me a shot to do something to start.

Alex: Do you play on the team at Oklahoma?

Thatcher: No, I do not.

Alex: No. You're not quite big enough?

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Thatcher had $1,800, Dhruv had $5,000, and Jordan was at $1,400. Dhruv wagered $3,000.

HAMLET $400: Shakespeare may have gotten the names of these courtiers from 2 members of Danish nobility who visited London in the 1590s

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGE VOCABULARY $800: In Wisconsin, it's a yellow cheese; in Maine, it's a 2,000-student college
(Jordan: What is Bowdoin?)

HAMLET $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Kronborg Castle in Denmark.) Hamlet instructs this friend, "Draw thy breath in pain to tell my story," which is why a guide leads tours of Kronborg Castle as this character

HAMLET $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Kronborg Castle in Denmark.) The legendary Danish hero Amleth inspired Shakespeare's "Tragedy of Hamlet", & the castle at Kronborg inspired this setting for nearly every scene of the play

PRE-REC $200: Different types of this device can heat your house or cool your car

STATES' GEOGRAPHIC CENTERS $800: In Yavapai County, 55 miles east-southeast of Prescott

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dhruv: $10,400
Thatcher: $3,600
Jordan: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OWL NIGHTER (5/5)
ENTERTAINING ERAS (3/5)
NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
B.C.-ING YOU (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD HISTORY (4/5)
AP JOURNALISM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dhruv: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Thatcher: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jordan: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Thatcher had $5,600, Dhruv had $12,400, and Jordan was at $3,000. Dhruv wagered $2,800.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNERS $800: These people are the "R" in UNHCR, which gives them shelter & helps them find a new permanent home
(Alex: United Nations High Commissioner for [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dhruv who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Thatcher had $7,600, Dhruv had $20,400, and Jordan was at $2,200. Dhruv wagered $1,200.

B.C.-ING YOU $2000: Called the "Father of History", he wrote a long account of the Greco-Persian Wars

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD HISTORY $2000: A statistical term or a synonym for ordinary, this adjective may have come from Arabic for "damaged goods"
(Thatcher: What is normal?)

ENTERTAINING ERAS $1600: You've had more birthdays than this number of bits in the early '90s home console game era of "Street Fighter II"
(Dhruv: What is 8?)
(Thatcher: What is 32?)
(Jordan: What is 4?)

ENTERTAINING ERAS $2000: A golden era of teen movies is sometimes named for this "Breakfast Club" director

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dhruv: $22,800 (lock game)
Thatcher: $10,800
Jordan: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CABINET DEPARTMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Dhruv: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Thatcher: Wager $1,601 to cover Jordan.
Jordan: You have the hope of surpassing Thatcher for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,000 and $6,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Cabinet department traces its roots back to the Manhattan Project & efforts to develop the atomic bomb

FINAL SCORES
Jordan: $6,200 + $6,199 = $12,399 (What is Dept. of Energy) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Thatcher: $10,800 + $10,799 = $21,599 (What is Department of Energy) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Dhruv: $22,800 + $512 = $23,312 (What is the Department of Energy?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dhruv: $19,000, 26 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Thatcher: $10,800, 14 R, 2 W
Jordan: $6,200, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dhruv: 27/61 = .443
Thatcher: 15/58 = .259
Jordan: 13/58 = .224
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PRE-REC $600: The animals shown here can both be described as these

HAMLET $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Kronborg Castle in Denmark.) While confronting his mother here in the queen's chamber, Hamlet ends up killing Ophelia's dad, this devious character, who is hiding behind a curtain
(Jordan: Who is Laertes?)

OWL NIGHTER $1600: The features in the name of this great owl are really just bunches of feathers

OWL NIGHTER $1200: To better hunt at night, most owls' eyes have retinas full of these cells that detect movement better than color
(Dhruv: What are cones?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
Colby
Horatio
Elsinore
radiators
Arizona
refugees
Herodotus
average
John Hughes
the Department of Energy
a raptor
Polonius
the great horned owl
rods
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CABINET DEPARTMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Cabinet department traces its roots back to the Manhattan Project & efforts to develop the atomic bomb

Thatcher Chonka: 10800+10799=21599
Dhruv Gaur: 22800+512=23312 (Semi-Finalist)
Jordan Goodson: 6200+6199=12399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Department of Energy

Daily Doubles
Dhruv: 5000+3000
Dhruv: 12400+2800
Dhruv: 20400+1200

Coryats
Thatcher: 10800
Dhruv: 19000
Jordan: 6200

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Thatcher: 3600
Dhruv: 10400
Jordan: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ENTERTAINING ERAS $2000: A golden era of teen movies is sometimes named for this “Breakfast Club” director

The writers knew this would play as bottom box. It stings for viewers like me to see Alex have to give the correct response. The parents of these students can dish out appropriate shocked reactions to it.

That same category also had the stumper for number of bits in the “Street Figher II” console and that is my kind of trash and I understand why the young folks in 2018 were only guessing on that one.

The FJ! clue was another one of those that lets me ruin the 100% early. I knew I did not like the category and my playing of the clue backed it up. My thought was Atomic Energy Commission was not a cabinet department. From there I used Dept. of Energy started in 1977 under Carter to rule that out.

Needing a response I wrote Dept. of Defense in thinking it could go with the change from War to Defense. My problem was the years did not work since it happened after WWII. I never get 10/10 in the CC and I took care of that on Day 2.

Nice work by the players to go 3/3 and set themselves up to play next week. If Jordan makes it she could have an easier game in avoiding the tough combo of Thatcher and Dhruv.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I bet Thatcher wishes he could have been on yesterday with the baseball category. But I think he is in good shape for a wild card.

Instaget FJ here. Keep up the US History FJs and I just might go 10/10.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm That same category also had the stumper for number of bits in the “Street Figher II” console and that is my kind of trash and I understand why the young folks in 2018 were only guessing on that one.
At least 8-bit is a valid guess.

Had FJ before Alex got out the word "traces".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

8-Bit Pale Ale is a tasty offering from Tallgrass Brewing Co. in Manhattan, Kansas, so I had to get 8 out of my head, but I did come up with 16.

http://tallgrassbeer.com/8bit/
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I remembered hearing that Rick Perry thought he would mostly be dealing with oil and gas interests as Secretary of Energy, only to discover that it's more about overseeing with the US's nuclear arsenal and nuclear reactors.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
clprez

Post by clprez »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 pm I remembered hearing that Rick Perry thought he would mostly be dealing with oil and gas interests as Secretary of Energy, only to discover that it's more about overseeing with the US's nuclear arsenal and nuclear reactors.
That's how I got FJ, too.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 45,000
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Colby, radiator, Arizona, 16, John Hughes

Dhruv had one of the two best performances of the week by a Gainesville, Georgia native. Hopefully neither Thatcher nor Jordan did this to Dhruv after the game:

The Department of Energy was one of the few cabinet departments I didn't think of during my pre-FJ! run-through, but atomic bomb --> atomic energy --> DOE was a fairly easy trip.

After last night's
Spoiler
"name the capital of Ecuador"
in the bottom row, tonight we get "give the other name for Myanmar." Come on, TPTB. These are elite college students.

16-bit is a pretty tough clue for folks who didn't grow up in that era. There's a lot of talk nowadays about 8-bit gaming, given the immense popularity of the NES Classic console and the proliferation of 8-bit art. 16-bit gaming and its flagship console, the Sega Genesis, don't get nearly as much attention nowadays.
Sprinkles are for winners.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

42 R
DD: 2/3 (Rosenkrantz & Gildenstern, Herodotus)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Horatio, Elsinore, Radiator, John Hughes
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said Lora Croft. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm I said Lora Croft. Judges?
It's a plausible enough regional pronunciation if you ask me.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I'm disappointed that the players didn't know about John Hughes or early 90's gaming.

I lol'd at the moment Thatcher buzzed in on the Brown University answer first over Dhrav (he goes to Brown).

But congrats to Dhrav for an outstanding game.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I bit on 8-bit as well, but would've got the rebound to 16. Lulz as all three went around it. Easy FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Two more moments of movie serendipity: Saturday I finally saw Batman V Superman (which has a Jason Momoa cameo), Sunday,Three Billboards. Wasn't required for me to get the clues, but amusing nonetheless.

Going to go out on a limb, though, and say while they might have a Coco clue over the next three days, there will not (nor ever will) be a Cosmopolis clue.

Instafinal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm ENTERTAINING ERAS $2000: A golden era of teen movies is sometimes named for this “Breakfast Club” director

The writers knew this would play as bottom box. It stings for viewers like me to see Alex have to give the correct response. The parents of these students can dish out appropriate shocked reactions to it.
It's not acknowledged within the film, but the new teenage sex comedy "Blockers" takes place in Hughes-land, the upper-middle-class northern suburbs of Chicago -- although it was filmed in Georgia, as are all movies these days.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm 16-bit gaming and its flagship console, the Sega Genesis, don't get nearly as much attention nowadays.
Or Super Nintendo.

Dhruv played really well and went 4/4 on all the big clues. If he had decided to make every wager a true daily double he would have smashed the previous one day record with a score of $138,400. Thanks for archiving it so fast.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

In general, I would rather they select only juniors and seniors for this tournament, since they won't get another chance. However, Dhruv, who is a freshman, played by far the best of any of the 6 players we've seen thus far.

Surprised at the LTs in Hamlet. It's been a solid 16 years since I read it in high school, and I remember Horatio and Elsinore Castle with ease.

And yeah, it's funny; I'm 31, and virtually everyone who played games my age would get 16-bits. Interesting how quickly that becomes obscure information, thanks to the tremendous progress in computer processing power in general and video games in particular.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm 16-bit is a pretty tough clue for folks who didn't grow up in that era. There's a lot of talk nowadays about 8-bit gaming, given the immense popularity of the NES Classic console and the proliferation of 8-bit art. 16-bit gaming and its flagship console, the Sega Genesis
The flagship console was easily the Super Nintendo, which massively outsold the Genesis, and had more good games.

And keep in mind that I love the Genesis and think it gets unfairly overlooked, as it did have certain advantages over the later 16-bit console.

Incidentally, the Street Fighter 2 conversions, which were mentioned in the clue, were massively better on the Super Nintendo than on the Genesis. Arcade ports, and fighting games in general (I'm looking at you, TMNT Tournament Fighter) sucked on the Genesis.

Which also makes it weird that the Genesis, thanks to the Streets of Rage series, arguably had the better side-scrolling beat em' ups.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Way to go, Dhruv! Let's go Bruno! (What can I say, the football and basketball teams aren't much nowadays; might as well root for Jeopardy!)