LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
Props to OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 correct on that quiz. One of only 2 who accomplished it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

badgerfellow wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Props to OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 correct on that quiz. One of only 2 who accomplished it.
Too bad it wasn't HQ instead.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

Then I went 0/12 on both the other quizzes from yesterday.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I injected my own TOM into the question by recalling our resident Winnipegger -- Dave Kendall -- telling of a southerly adventure to his Kansas City J! audition. This didn't guarantee that Manitoba was correct, but it gave it a pretty high expected value as a guess.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

In 1986, we stopped in Victoria on the way from Seattle to the Vancouver World's Fair. We stayed at the Empress Hotel and had high tea. The Fair was a wonderful experience. It marked the last time the U.S., the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China had pavilions at the same exhibition.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

In 1986, we stopped in Victoria on the way from Seattle to the Vancouver World's Fair. We stayed at the Empress Hotel and had high tea. The Fair was a wonderful experience. It marked the last time the U.S., the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China had pavilions at the same exhibition.
If you're in Victoria for at least 24 hours and don't have high tea at the Empress, I believe that a felony.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Victoria is pretty fun. My wife surprised me a couple years ago by buying us tickets on Kenmore Air to Victoria. Kenmore Air operates floatplanes out of Seattle. Definitely a cool way to get there!

I got to sit up front on the return trip and shot this video of the landing in Lake Union:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We were only docked in Victoria for the afternoon. So our touring was limited to walking around the city. We thought it was very pretty. I do recall seeing the capitol building (or some sort of government building) while on our stroll.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Need to work on my moneying...in Supercars I ended up with 320 points and 71st percentile. Optimum moneying would've given me 118 more points and a 27th place finish. Never thought that Lambo originally making tractors would be the second most commonly answered question and that Porsche/electric supercar and Wolf of Wall Street q's would be missed by so many.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oh, so close... With better moneying, I could have finished second in "Hollywood Science." As it is, I'll take my 95% finish.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Now that the Musical Eyestrain quiz deadline is passed, I can say that I'm proud that the smith (by coincidence) used my Telemachus question of several weeks ago from my Trivial Person of the Week contest on Facebook.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Finished 11th (97%) in the BSG 1DS. I think that's my 2nd best -ever finish. Could have finished 5th if I had monied "Peace" instead of "Lucifer".
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Expo 86 was the best. It transformed Vancouver and also Expo Ernie was a very cool mascot. I distinctly remember the German pavilion, it had a rad model train and Kraftwerk playing on the speakers.

Victoria is probably my favourite city in Canada. It’s in a rain shadow, so it has a unique climate compared to the rest of BC. Great book stores, lovely harbour area, lots of homeless guys from Alberta.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mennoknight wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 am Victoria is probably my favourite city in Canada. It’s in a rain shadow, so it has a unique climate compared to the rest of BC. Great book stores, lovely harbour area, lots of homeless guys from Alberta.
I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but it sounds plausible: Victoria is the only weather station in Canada that's recorded a calendar year without a below freezing temperature.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm

I injected my own TOM into the question by recalling our resident Winnipegger -- Dave Kendall -- telling of a southerly adventure to his Kansas City J! audition. This didn't guarantee that Manitoba was correct, but it gave it a pretty high expected value as a guess.
Exactly. My audition was on a Tuesday so on Sunday we drove to my sister’s who lives in Emerson and stayed there overnight. Monday morning, later than I wanted (partly because my sister made us a really good breakfast) we drove 5 minutes from her place to the border station and started on I-29. We drove the entire length of it and, after a bit of trying to find it, got to our Airbnb 10 minutes after seeing the “I-29 End” sign. So, aside from drives off the highway for groceries or rest stops, we drove every inch of I-29 to my audition. (And, for part of it, listened to your excellent video in the car about how to audition well)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

On Q12 in exobiology, I knew what they were talking about, but didn’t know whether they were looking for “bilayer” or “cell membrane,” so put “bilayer membrane” or something. Wasn’t accepted, and cost me 27 percentiles. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

countyguy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:39 pm On Q12 in exobiology, I knew what they were talking about, but didn’t know whether they were looking for “bilayer” or “cell membrane,” so put “bilayer membrane” or something. Wasn’t accepted, and cost me 27 percentiles. :oops:
I initially thought about putting down "plasma membrane" as I was pretty sure that membrane would be too vague, then told myself that this was LL, not Bio 101, so instead put "cell membrane" et voila!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yay! I got all 12 correct on the recent State Capitals one-day!
Boo! I got the lowest score of anyone that got all 12 right...

I was actually surprised I got them all right. There were at least two I wasn't sure about and I think that made me a little too timid on my moneying.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

One of these days, I'll spend a weekend on the Pen and Paper Math one-day rather than doing it while sleepy on Sunday night and finishing over coffee on Monday morning. As it is, I wasn't too displeased with 8/12 and a 75th percentile finish.