The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm
I thought Delilah was by far the easiest in the Bible category. And how did they get Esther of all things?
Yes to the first.
To the second, maybe they're Jewish? Or maybe the same way I got Esther: picked it up somewhere and didn't forget. (I'm thinking I got it from when Jon Stewart still hosted TDS.)
I've been working in churches literally half my life (ugh...), and I don't think we've EVER touched the book of Esther. Looking up a summary of it, I see absolutely nothing even remotely familiar. Just like how it seems that other than Jonah, none of the Twelve Minor Prophets really ever seems to come up either. And I would sooner think Philemon to be a Digimon than a book of the Bible, given how it seems even more obscure.
Again, you said churches. Not synagogues. Purim's not exactly Christianity Top 10 material. You might as well point out the church never covered Ramadan, Tet or Vesak either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm Again, most of NY involves going west, even if you do go north first.
This one's simple: if it isn't NYC or Long Island, it's upstate. So, basically 97% of New York is considered upstate.
Then why call it "upstate" and not something else entirely? That'd be like calling the non-St. Louis parts of Missouri "Western Missouri", even the Bootheel.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm Again, most of NY involves going west, even if you do go north first.
This one's simple: if it isn't NYC or Long Island, it's upstate. So, basically 97% of New York is considered upstate.
Then why call it "upstate" and not something else entirely? That'd be like calling the non-St. Louis parts of Missouri "Western Missouri", even the Bootheel.
Why is the Midwest entirely east of the Mississippi?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm Why is the Midwest entirely east of the Mississippi?
At least that name USED to make sense.

(Fun fact: When I was a kid, I thought it was called the Midwest because the nation expanded westward from the 13 colonies, and the Midwest was about midway to the western most parts of the country.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"Residence hall" joins the "NHO in the top box" pile, and also strikes me as an overly generational clue.
Nah, they've been using that euphemism for a long time.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TPH, I kinda see your point. I have made several trips to Buffalo and the surrounding area. The people and media there call the region Western New York.

Nevertheless, I did respond correctly.
OCSam
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Because NYC is immensely more populated than Upstate New York with two thirds of the state's populace in the metro area (when the term originated years ago, the disparity was even more pronounced) and is literally south (or "downstate") of the rest of the state.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm
Why is the Midwest entirely east of the Mississippi?
Actually, most of the Midwest is west of the Mississippi.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 am
"Residence hall" joins the "NHO in the top box" pile, and also strikes me as an overly generational clue.
Yes. It was definitely in use back when I was still in school in the early 2000s.
I would prefer not to.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Then why call it "upstate" and not something else entirely? That'd be like calling the non-St. Louis parts of Missouri "Western Missouri", even the Bootheel. Huh. That's interesting. Thanks for informing me!
FTFY.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 am
Yes. It was definitely in use back when I was still in school in the early 2000s.
Here's a blog that mentions the use of "residence hall" in 1941, so the term has been around for several generations for sure:
https://mistakengoal.com/blog/2012/07/2 ... years-old/
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So "dementor" and "snitch" are arcane bits of knowledge that only a "superdork" would know?

Well, the film franchise has made just $7.7 billion. The books have been translated into 80 languages. Since the books were released in 1997 and the movies starting in 1999, I'd guess that the percentage of today's college kids with at least some familiarity with the Harry Potter Universe has to be ridiculously high.

Not only that, but the snitch and the dementors figure prominently in the series and in fact, are key plot points in several of the books/films.

But yes, I can see where only a "superdork" would be aware of them. /sarcasm
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That might be part of it too. I only went part-time to community college and never had to deal with dorms/residence halls/whatever you wanna call 'em because apparently Calling a Rabbit a "Smeerp" extends to real life too.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm
I thought Delilah was by far the easiest in the Bible category. And how did they get Esther of all things?
Yes to the first.
To the second, maybe they're Jewish? Or maybe the same way I got Esther: picked it up somewhere and didn't forget. (I'm thinking I got it from when Jon Stewart still hosted TDS.)
I've been working in churches literally half my life (ugh...), and I don't think we've EVER touched the book of Esther. Looking up a summary of it, I see absolutely nothing even remotely familiar. Just like how it seems that other than Jonah, none of the Twelve Minor Prophets really ever seems to come up either. And I would sooner think Philemon to be a Digimon than a book of the Bible, given how it seems even more obscure.
A young girl who saves her people from a genocide? I think it's worth reading.

And Philemon being obscure is fair, but if you've really worked in a church half your life, I would have expected you to have memorized the books of the Bible at some point. I mean, I'm not sure I can get 100% of it right now, but I'm pretty sure if you gave me a name, I could tell you whether or not it was in the Bible.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm but the clue had houston in it...there are really only 2 notable schools in houston...rice and uni of houston...the musical instrument reference went over my head and didn't come up with reed i guess
Okay, say you know that neither exists and are only going off the "Oryza sativa" part. There are lots of plants that end in "something sativa", so that doesn't narrow it down much.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm but the clue had houston in it...there are really only 2 notable schools in houston...rice and uni of houston...the musical instrument reference went over my head and didn't come up with reed i guess
Okay, say you know that neither exists and are only going off the "Oryza sativa" part. There are lots of plants that end in "something sativa", so that doesn't narrow it down much.
Instead of arguing the merits of the question, why not just google rice university and learn a little about it; it think this strategy would serve you better in the long run.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 pm This one's simple: if it isn't NYC or Long Island, it's upstate. So, basically 97% of New York is considered upstate.
Many residents of Rockland and Westchester Counties would not agree with this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Don’t you speak Spanish? The Spanish word for rice is arroz, which is fairly close to oryza.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am Don’t you speak Spanish? The Spanish word for rice is arroz, which is fairly close to oryza.
No it's not.