Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7738, 2018-04-11

2018 College Championship quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Caroline Trammell, a junior at Furman University from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
William Scott, a freshman at Tufts University from Los Altos, California
Rishab Jain, a freshman at Georgia Tech from Memphis, Tennessee

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome again to our program. 15 players have qualified for the College Championship this year. By the time we get down to our 2-day final match at the end of next week, we'll be down to three players. What's going to happen today? Rishab, William, and Caroline, good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIME FOR CLASS (5/5)
FIRST LADIES (3/5)
PARTS OF SPEECH (5/5)
REMEMBER YOUR MUSIC LESSONS (4/5)
TV NETWORKING (4/5) (Alex: You have to identify the network or channel for the shows we will tell you about.)
SPRING BREAK (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
William: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Caroline: 8 R, 0 W
Rishab: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Caroline: $3,000
William: $2,800
Rishab: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on our program today was Caroline Trammell, a junior at Furman University. I have good news for you. We use the Oxford English Dictionary for a lot of our research, and according to that work, they said that "exclamation" is a synonym for "interjection". So you're picking up a lot of money. And your score changes from $1,400 to $3,000. Now, tell me about the class you took at Disney World.

Caroline: Right, so I took a three week class in Disney World titled "Math and the Mouse". We went to the parks every single day, did a few projects with what Disney does and how they run their parks. And my group did an individual research project where we looked at the single rider lines to test how efficient they were, and so we got to ride a lot of rides and count a lot of people. Got a few odd looks, but found some cool stuff.

Alex: Okay. Here's a math question for you: how many fingers does Mickey Mouse have?

Caroline: Four, right?

Alex: Okay...

Rishab: Good answer.

Alex: Good answer, good answer.

Alex: William Scott, freshman at Tufts. You like taking art history classes. Why?

William: I just, I think the subject is so fascinating, and all the artists have their own unique character. But at the same time, you really see, like, the continuity between the different time periods of art, and it connects with history, and just everything is fantastic about it.

Alex: Favorite art period or art genre?

William: You know, I really like Baroque art, and my favorite artist is El Greco.

Alex: Oh, good. All right.

Alex: Rishab Jain from Memphis, Tennessee. Currently a member of the Georgia Tech honors program. So you do well in class. What's your favorite subject?

Rishab: So I'm a big fan of chemistry. And I know that draws the ire of a lot of people who don't like chemistry, but I like to pride myself on being, like, the one unique person who kinda likes going through that long, long, long struggle that is chemistry.

Alex: Mm-hm.

Rishab: So that's--that's kind of my thing. I don't know if that says something about me or about the subject, or...

Alex: Hey, when you're enthusiastic about the subject, stick with it. Good for you.

Rishab: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
William found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Rishab had $200, William had $3,000, and Caroline was at $3,000. William made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

SPRING BREAK $400: This U.S. federal holiday is the only one in the spring
(William: What is Easter?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REMEMBER YOUR MUSIC LESSONS $600: It's difficult fingering, but mastering barre these on my guitar really paid off
(William: What are frets?)

FIRST LADIES $800: This wife of Rutherford B. Hayes came from a slave-owning family but she & her parents were abolitionists

FIRST LADIES $1000: This First Lady's final acting role was in "The Sam Darland Story", a 1962 episode of the TV series "Wagon Train"

TV NETWORKING $600: "Vice Principals",
"Room 104"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Caroline: $6,000
Rishab: $2,800
William: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIME FOR CLASS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LOCALS CALL IT HOME (4/5)
SUPERHEROES (5/5)
BLUE BOOKS (3/5)
ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHANGE 1 LETTER OF THE 5 (4/5) (Alex: But we want two words in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
William: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rishab: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Caroline: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
William snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Rishab had $4,800, William had $6,200, and Caroline was at $9,600. William wagered $2,000.

TIME FOR CLASS $1200: In Marxism the proletariat is the wage-earning class; this is the middle class one big on property values

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rishab who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Rishab had $11,600, William had $13,800, and Caroline was at $11,200. Rishab wagered $2,000.

ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING $2000: In the 600s Muslim forces captured Jerusalem & by century's end, they had built this gold-topped shrine

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHANGE 1 LETTER OF THE 5 $1600: One inanimate, one human: they're the pair seen here

BLUE BOOKS $1200: The graphic novel "Blue is the Warmest Color" was originally published in this language

LOCALS CALL IT HOME $2000: Irian (the Indonesian name for a big island Indonesia has part of)

BLUE BOOKS $1600: In this book Karana's Island looks like the title animal "lying on its side, with its tail pointing toward sunrise"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
William: $15,800
Rishab: $13,600
Caroline: $11,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EXPLORATION NAME'S THE SAME

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
William: Wager $11,401 to cover Rishab.
Rishab: You ought to wager to cover Caroline, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $13,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,600 (to shut out Caroline) or less than $9,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Caroline). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by William.
Caroline: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $7,200. This will top a $0 wager by Rishab while still beating William and Rishab on the Triple Stumper (should William wager to cover Rishab's doubled score and Rishab wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The deepest part of the Mariana Trench & a submersible that went there share the name of this space shuttle

FINAL SCORES
Caroline: $11,600 - $5,000 = $6,600 (What Explorer) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Rishab: $13,600 + $6,500 = $20,100 (What is is Challenger?) (Automatic semifinalist)
William: $15,800 + $4,199 = $19,999 (What is Challenger?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
William: $18,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rishab: $13,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Caroline: $11,600, 14 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $43,200

BATTING AVERAGES
William: 26/60 = .433
Caroline: 14/58 = .241
Rishab: 14/59 = .237
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
REMEMBER YOUR MUSIC LESSONS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a graphic of the lungs.) Vocal teachers often try to get their students to sing more powerfully by generating a controlled flow of air from this muscle, located just beneath the lungs

FIRST LADIES $600: Her uncle Teddy walked her down the aisle when she married a future president in 1905

PARTS OF SPEECH $800: Ahoy! Surrender your vessel or be boarded by Pirate Pete!:
ahoy
(Caroline: What is an exclamation?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during contestant interviews.]

TIME FOR CLASS $400: Poli sci:
In presidential succession, this Cabinet job comes right after the pres. pro tempore of the Senate
(Rishab: Who is the Attorney General?)

TIME FOR CLASS $800: Geography:
Along the national scenic trail named for this line, spilled water might flow east, might flow west

TV NETWORKING $800: "The Walking Dead",
"Better Call Saul"
(William: What is HBO?)

CHANGE 1 LETTER OF THE 5 $800: One is from bad luck; the other from good fortune

ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING $800: The ancients liked these structures, from the Greek for "to view" & "on both sides"; one in Tunisia dates from around 238 A.D.

ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING $1600: It's a large, circular room with a domed ceiling, like the one at the Lehigh University library

SUPERHEROES $2000: The power ring seen here is worn by this DC superhero

CORRECT RESPONSES
Memorial Day
chords
Lucy Hayes
Nancy Reagan
HBO
the bourgeoisie
the Dome of the Rock
clamp and champ
French
New Guinea
The Island of the Blue Dolphins
Challenger
the diaphragm
Eleanor Roosevelt
an interjection
Secretary of State
the continental divide
AMC
sling and bling
an amphitheater
a rotunda
Green Lantern
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EXPLORATION NAME’S THE SAME

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The deepest part of the Mariana Trench & a submersible that went there share the name of this space shuttle

Rishab Jain: 13600+6500=20100 (Semi-Finalist)
William Scott: 15800+4199=19999
Caroline Trammell: 11600-5000=6600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Challenger (Caroline – Explorer)

Daily Doubles
William: 3000-3000
William: 6200+2000
Rishab: 11600+2000

Coryats
Rishab: 13600
William: 18000
Caroline: 11600

Combined: 43,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rishab: 2800
William: 1800
Caroline: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PARTS OF SPEECH $800: Ahoy! Surrender your vessel or be boarded by Pirate Pete!: Ahoy
Caroline’s neg being reversed was one I saw coming, so she was sad (Aw!) then happy (Hurray!)

Rats! I’m down to 33% on the FJ! clues as I went for the one alphabetically first. Unlike yesterday I expect some company on my miss. Nice job by the gentlemen to make the clue go 66%.

I had plenty of time to run through the shuttle names and I should have done that as it’s possible I could have recalled the right one because of these previous clues:
Spoiler
#7411, aired 2016-11-28 WHERE IS IT? $200: The Challenger Deep: this ocean
#7008, aired 2015-02-18 OCEANOGRAPHY $2000: This deepest part of the Mariana Trench is named for the British survey ship that pinpointed the location in 1951
#6647, aired 2013-07-09 NEW INVENTIONS $2000: Able to withstand great pressure, the Deepsea Challenger submarine took this man down 7 miles in March 2012
#5809, aired 2009-12-10 U CAN'T TOUCH THIS $800: Touching the bottom of the Challenger Deep in this trench SW of Guam? Nuh uh--it's 35,840 feet below the surface
#4421, aired 2003-11-24 THE SEVEN "C"s $2000: 36,198' down in the Marianas Trench, the deepest point on Earth is named this "Deep" after the ship that located it
The wildcards are looking to go high with 21599, 19999, 12399 and 6600 with two games to go. Josie & Sheldon from Monday got the bad news at the earliest possible point.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I only knew this FJ because I remember a similar question coming up on WWTBAM a long time ago.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am Rats! I’m down to 33% on the FJ! clues as I went for the one alphabetically first. Unlike yesterday I expect some company on my miss. Nice job by the gentlemen to make the clue go 66%.
You do. I didn't have a way to tease it out so Atlantis=ocean location made more sense than anything else.
hscer

Post by hscer »

StevenH wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm I only knew this FJ because I remember a similar question coming up on WWTBAM a long time ago.
I didn't know it and I eventually teased out an incorrect response. Seems like that happened to a few of us.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw no way to figure out Mary Todd Lincoln, "beginning", Civil War, or Wonder Woman in the top boxes.

However, I ran the Music category.

Didn't even know what to guess on FJ! The clue wasn't making any sense to me.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Class (4), First Ladies (5), Speech (1), Music (1), TV Networking (2), Spring (4)
Time (3), Locals (4), Superheroes (3), Blue Books (4), Architecture & Building (3), Change 1 of 5 (2)

Lach Trash: Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, [iIsland of the Blue Dolphins[/i]; Daily Double: Memorial Day

Instaget FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Went with Columbia on the grounds that it sounded more like a place name than Challenger or Discovery or Enterprise. If I'd remembered there was an Atlantis, I'd have upgraded my wrong response. Simply didn't have the requisite knowledge to put this one together. It'll be interesting to see how this polls. I'd suspect low but two of the three contestants got it right.
Spoiler
As opposed to the sole solve on Monday for what struck me as an easy FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm I saw no way to figure out Mary Todd Lincoln, "beginning", Civil War, or Wonder Woman in the top boxes.
The First Ladies clue mentioned "Union Army" camps and hospitals, so it was basically asking who was First Lady during the Civil War (a good thing to know). The Blue Book clue mentioned The Blue and the Gray, a well-known '80s miniseries set during the Civil War. As for Wonder Woman....er, go watch Wonder Woman. It's a good movie.

I knew FJ cold....at some point in the past. Totally forgot it since then, so I was stuck running through the list of space shuttles. Discovery, no...Endeavour, doesn't sound right...Challenger, right! Challenger Deep. If I had thought of Atlantis first, I probably would've stuck with it :/
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm I saw no way to figure out Mary Todd Lincoln, "beginning", Civil War, or Wonder Woman in the top boxes.
The First Ladies clue mentioned "Union Army" camps and hospitals, so it was basically asking who was First Lady during the Civil War (a good thing to know). The Blue Book clue mentioned The Blue and the Gray, a well-known miniseries set during the Civil War. As for Wonder Woman....er, go watch Wonder Woman. It's a good movie.
"Blue and the Gray" could be any war for all I know. Seems like a very faint TOM.

The terms they used for Wonder Woman also seemed relatively obscure. I know of the invisible plane and Lasso of Truth, but not the things mentioned in the clue.
hscer

Post by hscer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 pm
The First Ladies clue mentioned "Union Army" camps and hospitals, so it was basically asking who was First Lady during the Civil War (a good thing to know). The Blue Book clue mentioned The Blue and the Gray, a well-known miniseries set during the Civil War. As for Wonder Woman....er, go watch Wonder Woman. It's a good movie.
"Blue and the Gray" could be any war for all I know. Seems like a very faint TOM.

Blue and gray were the uniform colors of the Union and Confederacy, respectively. Just like the British were called redcoats in the American Revolution. So that's where that comes from.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

and the streak of consecutive final jeopardy correct responses ends at 15...had never heard the name for the deepest part of the mariana trench...but since there was a space shuttle called atlantis and atlantis is associated with water, that was my guess
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm Went with Columbia on the grounds that it sounded more like a place name than Challenger or Discovery or Enterprise. If I'd remembered there was an Atlantis, I'd have upgraded my wrong response. Simply didn't have the requisite knowledge to put this one together. It'll be interesting to see how this polls. I'd suspect low but two of the three contestants got it right.
Spoiler
As opposed to the sole solve on Monday for what struck me as an easy FJ.
i went with atlantis
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

why wouldn't wonder woman have been in the top box? how many women super heroes can you name?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 pm

why wouldn't wonder woman have been in the top box? how many women super heroes can you name?
I dunno, looks like there's quite a lot.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 pm
Yeah, but he asked you how many you (or any of us, really) could name. 98% of those are very obscure and no more than a few have flared up in pop culture recently.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm Went with Columbia on the grounds that it sounded more like a place name than Challenger or Discovery or Enterprise.
My reasoning as well.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 pm

but the obvious one is wonder woman...female superhero top box, of course it is wonder woman