Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 pm but the obvious one is wonder woman...female superhero top box, of course it is wonder woman
[citation needed]
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 45,000
50 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: chords, Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, clamp/champ, Island of the Blue Dolphins

I'm surprised so few here are familiar with Challenger Deep. Being the deepest place on Earth, it's one of those trivia chestnuts I've come across time and again. Also, from what I hear, Deepsea Challenge, the documentary about James Cameron's trek to the bottom of the ocean, is really interesting. I should get around to watching it one of these days.

I totally blanked on Memorial Day, going with Mothers' Day as the lone spring federal holiday. I also lost the New Guinea/Borneo coin flip. In hindsight, I suppose the latter is much more likely to be the native name for the island than is the former.

I've never read Island of the Blue Dolphins, but it's always stuck in my brain because the author, Scott O'Dell, shares his last name with my fourth grade teacher.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm I saw no way to figure out Mary Todd Lincoln, "beginning", Civil War, or Wonder Woman in the top boxes.
The others have been covered--although you as always would rather be obstinate than learn something--but initio is the root of the words "initial," "initiate," etc., which all refer to the first or beginning of something.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm I saw no way to figure out Mary Todd Lincoln, "beginning", Civil War, or Wonder Woman in the top boxes.
The others have been covered--although you as always would rather be obstinate than learn something--but initio is the root of the words "initial," "initiate," etc., which all refer to the first or beginning of something.
I read it as "Well, since 'ab extra' means 'from outside', 'ab initio' must mean 'from inside'. That works, it looks kinda similar, and the clue seems to be hinting at a pair of opposites."
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm glad the Chemist made it. Im officially supposed to besmirch the Art Historian, but actually I love his passion and he is probably better positioned to be a trivia game show champ. Go El Greco and Element man!

I think I knew the Challenger Deep from "My Weekly Reader" which was a news mag provided to us in 6th grade. When we have a clue about Albert Schweitzer, the IGY (International Geophysical Year), and the Mohole Project, my subscription will be vested.

I think this was a tough one to get from the shuttle TOM, especially with Atlantis and Columbia negbait. I started with shuttles and figured Enterprise and the two that blew up would be the most likely. I couldn't remember their names until I pulled the clue from the other side.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

As a federal employee, I would have been in trouble had I missed the holiday question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm Went with Columbia on the grounds that it sounded more like a place name than Challenger or Discovery or Enterprise. If I'd remembered there was an Atlantis, I'd have upgraded my wrong response. Simply didn't have the requisite knowledge to put this one together. It'll be interesting to see how this polls. I'd suspect low but two of the three contestants got it right.
Spoiler
As opposed to the sole solve on Monday for what struck me as an easy FJ.
*or Endeavour.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Thing I learned tonight -- Julia Grant didn't travel with her husband during the war.

And just to be That Guy for a minute:

If SherbeRt is wrong, and GangstERs Paradise is wrong, then Daylight SavingS Time is also wrong.

But I've never seen them overturn a ruling that immediately led to uncovering a Daily Double, so . . .
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DadofTwins wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 pm If SherbeRt is wrong, and GangstERs Paradise is wrong, then Daylight SavingS Time is also wrong.
People have been wrong about Daylight Savings Time so often for so long it's literally right now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Chords, Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, (Memorial Day), New Guinea, Island of the Blue Dolphins

William and I would get along pretty well considering we both love art. Although El Greco was actually part of the Mannerism movement rather than the Baroque. Unless Mannerism is considered part of the Baroque movement, which I am unsure about.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 pm but the obvious one is wonder woman...female superhero top box, of course it is wonder woman
[citation needed]
Tonight's show

Luckily I knew of the Challenger Deep.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Knew Challenger Deep, never heard of a Challenger sub, but the first bit of knowledge was all that was required.

Those of us with gray hair are probably more familiar with the Trieste as the pioneering Marianas Trench exploration submarine.

edit: After looking it up I do recall David Cameron's sub. but I doubt I'd be able to come up with the name "Deepsea Challenger."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Challenger. I was 3 out of 4 on the big clues today. I would have gotten memorial day if they gave me a minute but I need to review holidays. They come up a lot.
I've never read Island of the Blue Dolphins, but it's always stuck in my brain because the author, Scott O'Dell, shares his last name with my fourth grade teacher.
I got "Island of the Blue Dolphins" because I had to read it as a class in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. It was a very poorly coordinated curriculum. I'm still not sure exactly how that happened.

I bit on "from the inside" instead of "from the beginning."
DadofTwins wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 pm Thing I learned tonight -- Julia Grant didn't travel with her husband during the war.

And just to be That Guy for a minute:

If SherbeRt is wrong, and GangstERs Paradise is wrong, then Daylight SavingS Time is also wrong.

But I've never seen them overturn a ruling that immediately led to uncovering a Daily Double, so . . .
It looks like Daylight Savings Time is commonly accepted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Thank you Black Cobra!

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Do I have a historical blindspot, or was that Lucy Hayes clue quite difficult? And props to the trio for going 2/3 on FJ. I thought of Challenger, but dismissed it as being illogical for the name of a deepest part of the Mariana Trench.

Also, I read Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid, but missed the TS. It was so wretched I had blocked it out of my memory.

Overall, this was the best-played game thus far, as can be seen in the high combined Coryats.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:08 am Do I have a historical blindspot, or was that Lucy Hayes clue quite difficult?
The only way most know her name is from the "Lemonade Lucy" sobriquet. I'd say it's one notch easier than the most obscure First Ladies.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 pm
[citation needed]
Page 1, paragraph 1, sentence 1 of The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore:
WONDER WOMAN is the most popular female comic-book superhero of all time.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 am William and I would get along pretty well considering we both love art. Although El Greco was actually part of the Mannerism movement rather than the Baroque. Unless Mannerism is considered part of the Baroque movement, which I am unsure about.
I raised an eyebrow at this too. Depending on personal taste, Mannerism was either the evolution or devolution of the High Renaissance classicism of Leonardo, Raphael, and early Michelangelo, into the Late Renaissance focus on narrative intensity, elongated forms, and eccentric compositions. El Greco was, IMHO, the quintessential artist of this period and in no way, shape, or form could his work be described as belonging to the Baroque. However, it's possible William was saying his favorite style/period is the Baroque and his favorite artist is El Greco like I might say my favorite style/period of popular music is late 70's punk/post-punk and my favorite band is the Kinks.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:08 am Do I have a historical blindspot, or was that Lucy Hayes clue quite difficult?
The only way most know her name is from the "Lemonade Lucy" sobriquet. I'd say it's one notch easier than the most obscure First Ladies.
It's an odd situation where, despite Rutherford B. Hayes occupying a low spot on the presidential totem pole in the popular consciousness, I'd estimate Lemonade Lucy resides in the middle ranks of first ladies by virtue of possessing a very memorable nickname.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 pm
I read it as "Well, since 'ab extra' means 'from outside', 'ab initio' must mean 'from inside'. That works, it looks kinda similar, and the clue seems to be hinting at a pair of opposites."
Yep, that was the negbait. My wife fell for it too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 am
That’s how I got it. I didn’t even pay attention to the rest of the clue beyond “Hayes’ wife”.

Another Atlantis here.