Friday, April 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7740, 2018-04-13

2018 College Championship quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Thorpe, a senior at Dartmouth College from Laguna Niguel, California
Alli Ross, a sophomore at Worcester Polytechnic Institute from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Patricia Jia, a senior at the University of Pennsylvania from Fremont, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The first Friday of any of our championships is always a very important day, because today we find out who are the nine semifinalists who get to come back next week, in this case, the College Championship, to play for $100,000. Eric, Alli and Patricia, welcome. That's it, pick up the signaling device, and good luck. Here we go. All right, let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GREEK SYSTEM (4/5)
THEIR DEBUT ALBUMS (3/5)
SNACK CHAT (5/5)
THE OCEANS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GIVE IT THE OLD COLLEGE "TRI" (4/5)
WE MADE THAT THING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alli: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Patricia: 6 R, 1 W
Eric: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alli: $2,800
Patricia: $2,400
Eric: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Thorpe is a senior at Dartmouth College with five roommates?

Eric: Five roommates.

Alex: And you guys watch Jeopardy! every night?

Eric: Every night before bed, we all kind of hang out, grab a snack, and just kind talk about our day and watch Jeopardy!

Alex: And who's the best Jeopardy! player in that gathering?

Eric: I wanna say me, but my roommate Jacob sometimes gives me a good run for my money.

Alex: He should have tried out for the program, then. Yeah.

Alex: Alli Ross from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. Your major is biology and biotechnology, but I wanna know about something else. You taught a porcupine to do something that sounds incredible.

Alli: Yes. At my summer job as a wildlife keeper, I worked with our porcupine and helped train him to paint. He actually holds the paintbrush. We hold the canvas. He draws a few strokes, and then finally his paintings end up in the gift shop, where they make great souvenirs.

Alex: Don't--don't sell that porcupine, whatever you do.

Alex: Patricia... Jia?

Patricia: Yes.

Alex: From Fremont, California. You have an interesting hobby. You document your life in what way?

Patricia: With pictures.

Alex: And you have taken how many pictures a year, recently?

Patricia: I take about 30,000 to 40,000, depending on how exciting the year is. An it's everything I do, everyone I see, everything I eat. My friends love it.

Alex: Terrific.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Patricia had $2,400, Alli had $3,800, and Eric was at $2,600. Eric wagered $1,600.

THE OCEANS $600: The Laptev & Barents Seas are parts of this remote ocean
(Eric: What is the Indian Ocean?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEIR DEBUT ALBUMS $600: 2012:
"Night Visions"

THEIR DEBUT ALBUMS $1000: 2004:
"Hot Fuss"

GIVE IT THE OLD COLLEGE "TRI" $600: Robert Smigel is the voice of this dog puppet

WE MADE THAT THING $600: Eyes on the prize! This megacompnay makes Visine & Visine

THE OCEANS $1000: The Kuroshio is an enormous ocean one of these & equal in volume to about 6,000 large rivers
(Eric: What is a deep sea trench?)

THE GREEK SYSTEM $1000: This 5-letter word means "city-state", a principal unit in the Greek political system

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alli: $6,600
Patricia: $3,200
Eric: $0
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
2008 (4/5)
A QUESTION OF FILM (5/5)
SCIENCE LAB (4/5)
INTERNAL RHYME TIME (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: All the syllables rhyme in each response.)
5 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR AUTHORS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AARON, JUDGE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Alli: 5 R, 1 W
Patricia: 3 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Patricia had $2,800, Alli had $10,600, and Eric was at $10,400. Eric wagered $1,400.

5 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR AUTHORS $1200: Gregor Samsa
(Alex: From Metamorphosis.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Patricia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Patricia had $3,600, Alli had $10,600, and Eric was at $12,600. Patricia wagered $2,400.

INTERNAL RHYME TIME $1200: A boater in trouble needs to know this word to say over the radio
(Patricia: Um.. what is...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2008 $1200: More than 200,000 gathered in or near this Chicago park named for a president to hear Obama's victory speech

SCIENCE LAB $1600: Also called electrodermal activity, this skin response bears the name of an 18th century Italian physicist

5 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR AUTHORS $1600: Antonia Shimerda
(Alex: My Antonia.)

5 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR AUTHORS $2000: Liesel Meminger
(Alex: The Book Thief by [*].)

AARON, JUDGE $1200: The witness didn't see the incident directly, so Aaron rules it this, also defined nonlegally as gossip

AARON, JUDGE $1600: Aaron consults the clerk responsible for making this 6-letter schedule of upcoming trials

AARON, JUDGE $2000: Aaron accepts this Latin-phrased plea of the defendant not admitting or denying charges

INTERNAL RHYME TIME $1600: To fire someone, or simply to tell him to leave your presence

INTERNAL RHYME TIME $2000: To await someone & ambush him

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $12,600
Alli: $11,400
Patricia: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PLACE NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Eric: Wager $10,201 to cover Alli. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $7,001.
Alli: Your score is within 4/5ths of Eric's, so wager between $2,401 (venusian) and $8,199 (martian), beating Eric's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Patricia's part.
Patricia: You just can't cover a rational wager by Alli, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only state named for a woman & whose capital is also named for a woman

FINAL SCORES
Patricia: $1,600 - $1,600 = $0 (What is Wyoming???) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Alli: $11,400 + $8,201 = $19,601 (What is Maryland?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Eric: $12,600 - $800 = $11,800 (What is... Virginia) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
(Alex: [To Alli] And the capital of that state is Annapolis.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $14,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alli: $11,400, 18 R, 1 W
Patricia: $4,000, 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alli: 19/58 = .328
Eric: 16/60 = .267
Patricia: 9/59 = .153
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEIR DEBUT ALBUMS $200: 2008:
"19"
(Patricia: Who is Taylor Swift?)

SNACK CHAT $800: The logo for this baked good brand was modeled after the founder's granddaughter, pictured here

SNACK CHAT $400: It's the rather less than savory 4-word name for the childhood favorite seen here

THE OCEANS $400: Crawling on the ocean floor are arthropods, like the sea this

THE GREEK SYSTEM $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents a Greek number system.) In one Greek number system, letters represent basic numerals: delta for deca, eta for hekaton & this Greek letter for myriad, or 10,000

A QUESTION OF FILM $1200: Princess Leia snarkily asks, "Aren't you a little short for" one of these?
(Alli: What is a pilot?)

5 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR AUTHORS $800: Elizabeth Bennet
(Patricia: Who is... uh, Bronte?)
(Alex: In Pride and Prejudice.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Arctic Ocean
Imagine Dragons
the Killers
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
Johnson & Johnson
an ocean current
polis
(Franz) Kafka
mayday
Grant Park
the Galvanic skin response
Willa Cather
Markus Zusak
hearsay
the docket
nolo contendere
to dismiss
waylay
Maryland
Adele
Little Debbie
ants on a log
sea spiders
mu
a stormtrooper
(Jane) Austen
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PLACE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the only state named for a woman & whose capital is also named for a woman

Patricia Jia: 1600-1600=0
Alli Ross: 11400+8201=19601 (Semi-Finalist)
Eric Thorpe: 12600-800=11800 (Wildcard)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Maryland (Patricia – Wyoming) (Eric – Virginia)

Daily Doubles
Eric: 2600-1600
Eric: 10400+1400
Patricia: 3600-2400

Coryats
Patricia: 4000
Alli: 11400
Eric: 14000

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Patricia: 3200
Alli: 6600
Eric: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you writers for the album 19 as that kept me from the skunk in THEIR DEBUT ALBUM.

Eric liked 1 of the 3 rounds with 0 after the J! round, 12600 after the DJ! round and a miss in the FJ! round. He gets to play next week as the path does not matter whether top winner or wildcard 4.

The FJ! clue worked for me as the first state I thought of a named for a woman was the right one and with the capital matching the requirement I was done.

A 1 for 3 on this kind of clue is understandable as the map search under pressure is no fun. A logical path would have been to start with the 13 Colonies to narrow the search. As the game and wagers played out Patricia was gone solve or no solve and Eric was through miss or no miss.

The semi-finalists:
Spoiler
Hannah Sage
Dhruv Gaur
Rishab Jain
Rebecca Rosenthal
Alli Ross

Thatcher Chonka (21599)
William Scott (19999)
Jordan Goodson (12399)
Eric Thorpe ( 11800)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Make it 2 for the Albums as I knew the J!6 without choices.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am The FJ! clue worked for me as the first state I thought of a named for a woman was the right one and with the capital matching the requirement I was done.

A 1 for 3 on this kind of clue is understandable as the map search under pressure is no fun. A logical path would have been to start with the 13 Colonies to narrow the search. As the game and wagers played out Patricia was gone solve or no solve and Eric was through miss or no miss.
I don't know if I specifically thought "13 colonies" but figured it was likely an early state, and fortunately, Virginia was the first one that came to mind and Maryland followed. In hindsight, the phrasing of the FJ clue is a bit odd because if you're in a rush, it sounds a little like they're saying there's just one state named for a women and that state's capital is also named for a woman.

When they should be doing their best to keep the FJ clues as even as possible in terms of difficulty, this one seemed quite a bit harder than the other four. But, NHNF (drink!) because it didn't ultimately affect the standings.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

5/5 this week. Trying to bat 1.000 for the tournament.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misunderstood the clue to mean only one State was named for a woman and Virginia was the first to come to mind so I didn’t spend any time trying to think of another state. Oh, well.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm I misunderstood the clue to mean only one State was named for a woman and Virginia was the first to come to mind so I didn’t spend any time trying to think of another state. Oh, well.
The word "both" would have been apropos. I did manage to come up with the answer but I was also thrown off by the wording.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but the bottom in Albums. Can't say I have heard of the Killers.

NHO "ants on a log" either, which seemed ridiculously undervalued. Got everything else in that category.

Still don't recognize Ryan Gosling for anything other than the 15 times I've said I've NHO him.

I usually do well in "We Made That Thing" categories, but somehow I bombed that one.

Of all categories, I ran Aaron, Judge somehow.

Knowing I was facing an 0/5 week, I took a peek at the clue during the commercial break to see if it'd set the wheels in motion. Georgia = Atlanta, nope, try again. Maryland = Baltimore, nope, try again. The gears were still churning after the music ended, with me stuck on Virginia knowing it was wrong. Even if I had gotten Maryland's capital right, I doubt I'd have processed Annapolis as being named for a woman.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm I misunderstood the clue to mean only one State was named for a woman and Virginia was the first to come to mind so I didn’t spend any time trying to think of another state. Oh, well.
Yeah, I spent a few seconds trying to make sure of what they were looking for and that cost me.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

This can be a tricky clue, since there's no real way of getting through all fifty states in thirty seconds. If you hit Maryland early, it's certainly gettable, but if you start in the west, like I did, there's no way you're getting to Maryland in time. Ultimately went with Montana. I blame Disney.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Why yes, I did smile all the way through that Aaron, Judge category. Also an easy 5/5.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am Thank you writers for the album 19 as that kept me from the skunk in THEIR DEBUT ALBUM.
:oops: Same here, and I still needed Patricia to neg with Taylor Swift to grab Adele on the rebound. Some day, these music categories won't be an embarrassment for me. Some day...

Instaget FJ, with the phrasing causing me to raise an eyebrow, but the capital left no doubt.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:38 pm :oops: Same here, and I still needed Patricia to neg with Taylor Swift to grab Adele on the rebound. Some day, these music categories won't be an embarrassment for me. Some day...
0-fer that category as well, but I'm not the least bit embarrassed.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I understood the clue that way too, at first. I went immediately to Virginia. But then I realized there was no way Richmond was named for a woman and started running through other states. Fortunately I started in the East and got to Maryland pretty quickly.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Vowela wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:31 pm This can be a tricky clue, since there's no real way of getting through all fifty states in thirty seconds. If you hit Maryland early, it's certainly gettable, but if you start in the west, like I did, there's no way you're getting to Maryland in time. Ultimately went with Montana. I blame Disney.
Tip for the future - an outright majority of the thirteen colonies are named for people, plus West Virginia as a spinoff of Virginia, but only two (Louisiana and Washington) west of there. (By "people" I mean "individuals" - quite a few states are named collectively after Indian nations.)
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 pm
The word "both" would have been apropos. I did manage to come up with the answer but I was also thrown off by the wording.

Maybe "Among all US States named for women, the one whose capital city is also named for a woman." would have been clearer?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So, would they have accepted Triumph the Comic Insult Dog (my response)? How about Triumph the Comic Dog (Mrs. P's)?

For the two-word bailiff command when the judge enters, what do you think they'd have done with "Oyez, oyez!"

Add Mrs. P to the list of those who parsed the FJ clue to mean only one state was named for a woman. She went with Virginia. I parsed the clue as they intended (I agree it's ambiguous), but it wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't. Maryland was the first state I thought of.

Kudos to Eric for coming back from $0 after SJ to be in first place going into FJ. He rolled with the punches and kept his head. Further kudos for the smart bet and the well-earned wildcard in consequence. I'd have counseled Alli to make a more cautious wager. But she got FJ right and earned a semi-final berth, so it all worked out. Congratulations to her as well. And condolences to Patricia. Just wasn't her day.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ, then looked around trying to see what else might come up. Carolinas--Raleigh, Columbia, nope. Georgia--named for King George so nope. Mrs. Ippi and Miss Ouri? Jefferson City and Jackson so nope.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 pm Instaget FJ, then looked around trying to see what else might come up. Carolinas--Raleigh, Columbia, nope. Georgia--named for King George so nope. Mrs. Ippi and Miss Ouri? Jefferson City and Jackson so nope.
The rumors of Jefferson Davis trying to escape in a dress notwithstanding.

(Yes, I know of course he was not actually the namesake.)