Thursday, April 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, April 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

Wow. Rebecca killed it tonight

L’Orangerie as an incorrect response to FJ shows that the kid knows stuff but he should’ve gone with the obvious - and much bigger- choice
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm Rebecca played a strong game, although she overwagered significantly on DD3. She was up $23,000 to $5,400 with only $6,400 left on the board. A wager of $601 would have secured the lock. Worse, after securing the lock, she rang in three more times.
Not as big of a deal in a tournament game like this where you're way up in wildcard territory. I like the aggressiveness.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Missouri, Breaking Dawn, Afghanistan, John Quincey Adams, Minneapolis

Ran Anagrammed Novels, Broadway Musicals, Where in the Human Body, and Arabian Nights.
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm I thought Mecca would be the Muslim capital, didn't know it was Baghdad.
The clue said it was a current capital, though, didn't it?

I went with The Louvre immediately. The only other possibility I could think of was the Musee d'Orsay. Turns out that was built as a train station.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Easy get for the Louvre, but maybe for the wrong reason. I know that Versailles was built because the king (Louis XIV?) thought the old hovel wasn't grand enough. I've never made it to Versailles as it is a day trip from Paris and I usually do tourism in small opportunistic bites.

And people thought Lawrence Kansas was obscure? Try Columbia as our main MU campus. Rolla is extremely well known among STEM students, and extremely invisible to the unSTEM'd masses. It was a Mining College and top 3 Ceramic Engineering programs when that was a thing in the 70's. How sad that MU gets a shout out on Jeopardy for basically catching the Tea Party / Koch Brothers flu.

Contrary to other boardies, I liked Rebecca honing her chops and accumulating more fake cash. Except for the part she didn't leave any for the other players to use for WC pursuit. And I was hoping she'd bet about 7K in FJ, just to see if she could "go for some kind of record", as Alex said. She is the spicy memelord of the week right now.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm Our own Linear Gnome got a shout-out of sorts with the mention of UM-Rolla, although it wasn't the best kind, given that it was about professor layoffs.
Since I retired last summer, I'm somewhat insulated from the discussions of just how draconian the budget cuts will be for 2018-19, though not completely. For the record, Rolla is pronounced RAW-luh or RAH-luh, not ROLL-uh.

Impressive showing by Rebecca!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed the Louvre. I was 1/4 on the big clues today. I didn't know Sherman was associated with a refusal to enter politics, only the march to the sea. I couldn't pull Seurat but that was a straightforward one and hopefully it will stick for next time. I might have gotten Baghdad but I didn't.

I guessed China for the Khyber pass one. I would make a joke that it is part of China on Chinese maps but that would be in poor taste and inaccurate.

It looks like everybody in here immediately knew to name a museum in Paris, how? Francis I doesn't seem to be particularly well known; same with the architect. I wasn't confident that the museum wasn't in Italy or the Netherlands. The name Pierre hints at France and that led to my guess for the Louvre but I was not confident that the response was going to be a museum in Paris.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pmRebecca played a strong game, although she overwagered significantly on DD3. She was up $23,000 to $5,400 with only $6,400 left on the board. A wager of $601 would have secured the lock. Worse, after securing the lock, she rang in three more times. OTOH, Harry and Carsen overthought FJ!, overlooking the most famous museum in the world.
Did you understand this situation as it unfolded in real time? I sure didn't.
Sort of. I recognized that it was the last DD and that Rebecca had an overwhelming lead, so I paused the game for a few seconds to determine how much she needed to secure the lock. I think the moral of the story is to slow down once you hit a DD. Alex will keep pestering, but former contestants have said that there's no actual time limit on wagering. Likewise, when the clue is revealed, the contestant has significantly longer to respond than on a normal clue. Don't be hasty. Take a breath. Think things through.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm Wow. Rebecca killed it tonight

L’Orangerie as an incorrect response to FJ shows that the kid knows stuff but he should’ve gone with the obvious - and much bigger- choice
Is L’Orangerie still used as a museum? Formerly, it housed the Impressionist works that we’re transferred to Museé d’Orsay when it opened.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm Wow. Rebecca killed it tonight

Is L’Orangerie still used as a museum? Formerly, it housed the Impressionist works that we’re transferred to Museé d’Orsay when it opened.
Unless something changed in the last three years (I went there in 2015), yes.
Spoiler
A5821003-08AD-4BD3-8456-0C5A4AB6D3C4.jpeg
A5821003-08AD-4BD3-8456-0C5A4AB6D3C4.jpeg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My first FJ was Versailles, but I realized it came to be much later than the 1500s. I remembered from touring the Louvre that it had been a palace (seems that Paris is full of recycled palaces), so I went with that.

BTW, if you want to go to Versailles, it's an easy (and cheap) train ride from Paris. Mrs. Spiff and I took it a few years ago, and I think the round-trip fair was less than $20 for both of us. We already had a Paris museum pass, so there wasn't an additional charge to hit the Palace.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 pm One of these days we're going to get some love for sports video games on J!, right?
Gran Turismo is a sports video game.
I would prefer not to.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:21 pm
threearruda wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 pm One of these days we're going to get some love for sports video games on J!, right?
Gran Turismo is a sports video game.
:lol: :lol:

Duhhhhhhhhh hahaha..

I was thinking more along the lines of Madden, MLB The Show, etc., but... touche.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:12 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm Rebecca played a strong game, although she overwagered significantly on DD3. She was up $23,000 to $5,400 with only $6,400 left on the board. A wager of $601 would have secured the lock. Worse, after securing the lock, she rang in three more times.
Not as big of a deal in a tournament game like this where you're way up in wildcard territory. I like the aggressiveness.
If you've got a lock, you advance due to winning the game and don't have to worry about wildcards.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 pm and Rolla isn't that well known (though of course one of our own is from there).
That's what got me there.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought FJ was total WECIB. Somehow we got two other responses. Versailles was never a museum & WTH is L'Orangerie?

edit: OK, it has come up recently but is still ridiculously obscure compared to Louvre.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W: 4, costing 3800
Coryat: 17,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: washout, Afghanistan, JQ Adams, Minneapolis, Iowa

No category runs, went backwards on Video Games with a mistake of Grand Touring on the bottom clue. Related words, but definitely wrong.

In keeping Minneapolis/St. Paul straight, the first is bigger, the second is the capital. Somehow, that got beat into me in a classroom many years ago, and it left a lasting impression. Iowa was a lucky, but educated, guess from Dubuque. Apparently, these young'ns are too young to have paid much attention as the events in Afghanistan were unfolding. I chalk that one up to old age. :lol: I probably would have missed it (or clammed) had the two countries been reversed (as in the Khyber pass goes from Afghanistan to where?)

In re-reading the FJ clue, I'm not sure why I ended up in France. Perhaps the Francis/France similarity. At any rate, I boiled it down to a museum in France, and quickly picked the Louvre. Lucky? Probably. But I'll take it.
--Peter