Friday, April 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yeah, the Boolean phrasing of the clue wasn't the best. There goes my first Friday attempt at a 5/5.
Unfortunately, I instantly thought of Helena as a nice feminine name and couldn't disconnect and start running states. Louisiana - uh, nope, Red Stick (never mind the sissy named king). I didn't even pick Virginia as I wandered around the midwest with Iowa and Ohio. I was about ready to go with Ester and Ruth, the default for any two women.

Very clever and good clue, except for the syntax imho. Even if I had realized, duh - Maryland, I would have stuttered a second and thought Anna - polis? Not sure that is of feminine origin or not. Pretty coincidental that they had a 2K TS clue with "polis". I wonder if this was deliberate.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wyoming isn't such a strange guess since the capital is clearly named for a woman: Shy Anne.

Sorry...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am Thank you writers for the album 19 as that kept me from the skunk in THEIR DEBUT ALBUM.
Haha, same here! You have more of an excuse than I do for going 1/5 in that category, though.

Decent game, with the only eyebrow raiser being the TS on "polis". Then again, I do understand that studying Greek and Roman history is largely a thing of the past.

Got FJ quickly for a 4/5 week. Dhruv, the freshman winner on Tuesday's show, has impressed me the most of all the contestants and is my personal pick to triumph.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm So, would they have accepted Triumph the Comic Insult Dog (my response)? How about Triumph the Comic Dog (Mrs. P's)?
As someone who got the full name, I would have accepted your answer outright, and either accepted or BMS'd your wife's answer. I'm going by the general standards of the show, though.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm I misunderstood the clue to mean only one State was named for a woman and Virginia was the first to come to mind so I didn’t spend any time trying to think of another state. Oh, well.
I was about to post that the clue was miswritten but perhaps intentionally, for the sake of clarity. But maybe not.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:44 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am Thank you writers for the album 19 as that kept me from the skunk in THEIR DEBUT ALBUM.
Haha, same here! You have more of an excuse than I do for going 1/5 in that category, though.
I got Adele and The Killers. I knew Maroon 5, but couldn't pull it. It seemed like a fairly difficult category for sure.

I wasn't confused by the FJ wording, but in retrospect I can see how it could be confusing. My first thought was Virginia, but realized Richmond didn't meet the second requirement and quickly got to Maryland after rejecting VA.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,200
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Killers, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, Arctic Ocean (DD), polis, Willa Cather, hearsay, docket, nolo contendere, mayday (DD), waylay

I didn't have any trouble parsing the clue, but I agree that it wasn't phrased particularly well. Interesting that they asked the contestants to determine that Anna-polis was named after a woman after the polis clue in the J! round.
Sprinkles are for winners.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

After I discarded Virginia, Helena led me to Montana. At that point, my mind became hopelessly entangled in thoughts of Montana WIldhack, a memorable character from Slaughterhouse-Five. I was unstuck in time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Imagine Dragons, The Killers, Johnson & Johnson, (Arctic Ocean), Polis, Galvanic, Willa Cather, (Mayday)

Knew Heliocentric just from the name Aristarchus of Samos. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

For the Chicago park named after a former President I guessed Lincoln Park instead of Grant Park.

I think the clue syntax for Final Jeopardy was just fine. It's understandable that people read too fast and don't parse it correctly but I don't think there was any misstep by the writers.

I get Proctor & Gamble confused with Johnson & Johnson. I missed the hint where they repeated/doubled the word Visine.

I'm familiar with all those bands but I did poorly on the album category.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

pinkfreud wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 am After I discarded Virginia, Helena led me to Montana.
ditto! (but I lost some precious initial time digesting that clunky wording, so I never made it to MD...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
davey

Post by davey »

The FJ would have been improved just by the removal of the ampersand...made it seem like the clue was in 2 parts rather than one continuous statement.
I'm not sure I would have recognized Annapolis as fitting the clue, even if I'd thought of it and considering the "polis" clue earlier in the game. Helena was as close as I got...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I agree this was a harder FJ than the others in week 1 of the tournament. I feel sure I would have gotten it eventually, but certainly not in 30 seconds. Ended up wagging NC, knowing it was wrong.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 pm Instaget FJ, then looked around trying to see what else might come up. Carolinas--Raleigh, Columbia, nope. Georgia--named for King George so nope. Mrs. Ippi and Miss Ouri? Jefferson City and Jackson so nope.
The Carolinas were named after King Charles - Carolus in Latin. So nope on that score as well.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 31, W: 3, costing 2200
Coryat: 25,400
FJ: :(
LT: Arctic, current, mayday, hearsay, docket, nolo contendere

Ran the legal terminology, stumped in characters & authors. Thanks to previous clues on J!, I knew Adele's first couple of albums were numbers. So that kept me from getting skunked there.

FJ had me starting on the West Coast. That didn't leave enough time to get close to the right answer. Idaho was the best I could do for a woman's name from that direction. Thank to whomever it was that posted the tip about states named after individuals are mainly in the original colonies. That could come in handy.
--Peter