The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm So, before we go any further, are you familiar with Achilles' origin and demise?
Rhetorical question, right?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm So what were the keywords on this FJ! anyway? There's lots of immortality and there are lots of warriors in Greek mythology.
Attempts.

So, before we go any further, are you familiar with Achilles' origin and demise? Because otherwise I'm going to be spinning wheels here...
I am, but "immortality" and "warriors" sure as hell didn't narrow it down any.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm So what were the keywords on this FJ! anyway? There's lots of immortality and there are lots of warriors in Greek mythology.
Attempts.

So, before we go any further, are you familiar with Achilles' origin and demise? Because otherwise I'm going to be spinning wheels here...
I am, but "immortality" and "warriors" sure as hell didn't narrow it down any.
Which is why I said "Attempts."
Instead of thinking about immortal warriors, think about a kid who survived some crazy high-failure experiment his mom tried.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm Instead of thinking about immortal warriors, think about a kid who survived some crazy high-failure experiment his mom tried.
I didn't know that part of the Achilles story though, that there were failed attempts before him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:40 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm Instead of thinking about immortal warriors, think about a kid who survived some crazy high-failure experiment his mom tried.
I didn't know that part of the Achilles story though, that there were failed attempts before him.
Neither did I. But I still got FJ right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm
How?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In one version Thetis killed 6 of her children in her attempts to make them immortal; this warrior was her seventh
As I said, I had never heard (or have long since forgotten) his mother's name or the part about the first six kids getting killed. But I did know Achilles' mother dipped him in the River Styx in an attempt to make him immortal. Dipping someone in a river is a good way to kill them, so the pieces fit together for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Likewise.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm
Likewise.
x3
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm
Likewise.
x3

So how did you know to go to him? Lucky guess?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm
As others have said, it just made sense to piece together from what I already knew about him. There aren't that many immortal warriors (as opposed to gods) that are well known so it was the only answer that made sense.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm
As others have said, it just made sense to piece together from what I already knew about him. There aren't that many immortal warriors (as opposed to gods) that are well known so it was the only answer that made sense.
Whereas I just saw nothing to piece together at all. Same with today's clue.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm
Like many here, I didn't know about the previous failed attempts. I did recall that his mother dipped him in the river, holding him by his heel. The only part of his body that was not protected was where she was holding him, hence the term for someone's vulnerability is know as their "Achilles Heel".

You mentioned somewhere not caring about where phrases come from or how words are derived but it is really a gold mine in helping make logical guesses.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm
You like to have hundreds, thousands and millions of possibles in your FJ! clue Rolodex while the show itself does not.

The category was Greek Mythology. That's important. Think of a red pen crossing out all of the wording of the clue except "warrior" to simplify it as: Name a warrior in Greek mythology.

There's no way you are rattling off a bunch of names. Narrow it to the first few you think of immediately. More likely than not for J! purposes it's in there. In the FJ! round most times the correct response will be someone or something that the average Joe & Jane America have heard of even if they do not get it right.

Miss or hit Achilles is familiar to a fair amount of viewers.

If you posted you missed with Hector, Ajax, Theseus, Perseus, Jason and so on that's fine. The clue bringing in an attempt at immortality is easily enough for a College Championship player and viewers at home who can pass the J! test to solve the clue. You missed it and that happens. Sometimes you connect the dots the right way and myself and others do not. That happens as well.

Last night's performance on the FJ! clue is nothing unusual and no great mystery of outstanding achievement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pmYou like to have hundreds, thousands and millions of possibles in your FJ! clue Rolodex while the show itself does not.
Yes, because everyone who played along knew the flight simulator one, right? Or swan song, Liederkranz, "Wall Street lays an egg", Bratt/Blatt, golden spurs, Carabelli & Durazzo...
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pm The category was Greek Mythology. That's important. Think of a red pen crossing out all of the wording of the clue except "warrior" to simplify it as: Name a warrior in Greek mythology.
I didn't know that Achilles was one, for instance. Just that he got dipped in the river except for his heel, and was somehow hit in said heel. Nothing about him being a warrior, nothing about other past attempts at immortality, nothing. If you asked me "name a Greek mythological warrior" then my response would've been "Uhhhhhhhhhhh... were there any?"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pmYou like to have hundreds, thousands and millions of possibles in your FJ! clue Rolodex while the show itself does not.
Yes, because everyone who played along knew the flight simulator one, right? Or swan song, Liederkranz, "Wall Street lays an egg", Bratt/Blatt, golden spurs, Carabelli & Durazzo...
Or Lyndon B Johnson. Or Department of Energy. Or The Louvre. Or Teddy Roosevelt. Or Chopin...

Seriously. The exceptions that you unceasingly drag out of storage every time are dwarfed by the ones a sizeable percentage get right -weekly-.
You don't get to ignore 220 games a season so you can shout 'CONFIRMATION BIAS!!'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 pm
I don't see how bringing up some of the harder questions in the history of the show exonerates you from fudging what's probably going to be the easiest final of the week. Once again I implore to stop blaming the writers or the obscurity of the clues and actually start learning about the things you get wrong on this show, I guarantee in year you will be twice the player you are now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Howard wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 pmOnce again I implore to stop blaming the writers or the obscurity of the clues and actually start learning about the things you get wrong on this show, I guarantee in year you will be twice the player you are now.
Unfortunately, twice zero is still zero.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm
Howard wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 pmOnce again I implore to stop blaming the writers or the obscurity of the clues and actually start learning about the things you get wrong on this show, I guarantee in year you will be twice the player you are now.
Unfortunately, twice zero is still zero.
If that's you're attitude why do you even play the game?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clue: "This work was over 50 years old & excerpts had been popularized when it had its first full U.S. performance on Christmas Eve 1944 "

How I interpreted it: "Blah blah blah something in Russia that happened sometime around the end of the 19th century. Could be a book, could be music, could be a play, could be anything."