Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:20 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am
I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
1. Yes, there are many real world prices set at non-round amounts. But my thinking was, while it is quite possible a writer could choose a non-round amount, the price is a contrived amount versus the statistic of how many real people have joined Mensa which is a random amount.

2. With the exception of the pizza degrees, these numbers are likely approximations, with even the Westworld price possibly being something like $39,995 in the show.

3. Winsanity is not a pure YEKIOYD trivia game. Ask for any of these numbers without a set to choose from and most would only have a shot at the pizza number (I would have guessed far higher for the Twitter followers based on the popularity of all the Hulk memes out there). The contestant is supposed to suss out the order in relation to the other numbers. The question writers are unlikely to include a number like the Mensa members if it were 40,000.
I would prefer not to.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Volante wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:58 am
IronNeck wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:53 am
Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 pm
"Odd significant figure not divisible by five" is painful to type and comprehend.
This is also wrong. 40,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 4 in 4*10^4, that is not divisible by 5. Similarly, 57,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 5.7 in 5.7*10^4, that is ALSO not divisible by 5.

Ergo, what is the supposed difference?
Is being deliberately obtuse a hobby of yours or something?...
No, but it's clear being a rude asshat is a favorite pastime of yours.
Go look up what significant figures are in math before you try to claim "4" is divisible by 5.
Go reread my post, as I wrote the the exact opposite of what you're claiming. Your reading comprehension is evidently as poor as your arithmetic.

And I agree with jeff to a point. Perhaps 40,000 might be slightly more likely than 57,000 as the price in a fictional work, but the latter is far from disqualifed.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7523
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by econgator » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am
I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
From the interactive website they set up, the cost was stated to be "at least $40,000 per day". So, that doesn't make any of the higher numbers incorrect.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5391
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by seaborgium » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 am

econgator wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am
I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
From the interactive website they set up, the cost was stated to be "at least $40,000 per day". So, that doesn't make any of the higher numbers incorrect.
That reminds me of when Cash Show asked "What planet takes over 29 Earth years to orbit the sun?" and the choices were Saturn, Jupiter, and Neptune. Technically, only one choice was wrong!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

This was the bonus round from a few days ago:
SpoilerShow
Image
The correct line-up:
SpoilerShow
Image

The contestant got $500 for having one correct highlighted in green.

Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.

User avatar
Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm
Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.
I Had the same thought process of knowing outright 27 and 42 and being able to slot in 33. I initially had 47 and 54 reversed but would have swapped them on the show.
Since the contestant only got Mandela right, do you remember how many spaces they thought Connect 4 had? It would seem figuring that one out would make it easier for the others to fall in place :P and only the NPR option really fits a plausible grid pattern.
I would prefer not to.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm
Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.
I Had the same thought process of knowing outright 27 and 42 and being able to slot in 33. I initially had 47 and 54 reversed but would have swapped them on the show.
Since the contestant only got Mandela right, do you remember how many spaces they thought Connect 4 had? It would seem figuring that one out would make it easier for the others to fall in place :P and only the NPR option really fits a plausible grid pattern.
Do not recall, but know where to look:
SpoilerShow
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/winsanity/

First try:
“The BACHELOR(ETTE)” seasons: 27
Weight of world’s heaviest cat: 47
Yrs. Mandela spent in prison: 33
Avg. age of npr listener: 42
Connect 4 spaces: 54
ONE RIGHT

2nd Try:
NOTHING: 54
Avg. age of NPR listener: 33 (54)
“The BACHELOR(ETTE)” seasons: 42
Connect 4 spaces: 47
Yrs. Mandela spent in prison: 27

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by dinghammer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 am

I'd love to see what a Connect Four grid would look like with
SpoilerShow
a prime number of spaces.

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MattKnowles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 am

dinghammer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 am
I'd love to see what a Connect Four grid would look like with
SpoilerShow
a prime number of spaces.
I got ya.
SpoilerShow
Image
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 pm

This was a game last week.

The original scramble as presented to the contestant:
SpoilerShow
Image
SpoilerShow

This is after the contestant made the first attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
The contestant had two correct.
This is after the second attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
The contestant had zero correct and only won the amount from the previous rounds.
This is the correct line up:
SpoilerShow
Image
There was no doubt which three went with the highest numbers, so for me playing along it was either first try or second try for guaranteed five right.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8999
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:00 pm

I am right there with you in having at least three right without taking a breath. Playing along here, I went 5/5, but I wouldn't have needed more than two turns to get it right no matter what.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1817
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Some of the ones you've posted had me taking wild guesses after one or two, but this was a relatively easy 5/5.
SpoilerShow
OK, maybe they don't watch J!, but I thought Lent and African countries were well-known trivia staples. I really hated Growing Pains as a child and didn't know Leo was in it or for how long, but at that point it was a coin flip anyway

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5956
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Yep. Got it right first try. If I hadn't, I'd have switched J-Lo and Leo.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by BobF » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm

I'd love to see a Jeopardy! episode with
SpoilerShow
a prime number of clues. No wait, a prime number of contestants. Ah, hell, forget it.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm

The bonus round from a few days ago:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The initial look the contestant had at the facts and numbers.
Image
What the contestant had after the first attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
The contestant was told three were correct.
What the contestant had after the second attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
The contestant had two correct.
The correct lineup:
SpoilerShow
Image
The contestant got an extra $1,000 for having the bottom two right.

The way I played it was no doubt the band was low, the wheel had to be 800 based on the numbers and I could not imagine the ship having 41 or 50 decks to leave 50:50 on the ice cream/floats.  800 floats?  How long would that parade last?  Wow!

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5833
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Volante » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm
MB's Final Summary only!! I'm just pinning it for context.Show
The way I played it was no doubt the band was low, the wheel had to be 800 based on the numbers and I could not imagine the ship having 41 or 50 decks to leave 50:50 on the ice cream/floats.  800 floats?  How long would that parade last?  Wow!
SpoilerShow
Same logic, then I used my experience of being being bored as a tree watching the Rose Parade (and this just off the TV!) that there's -never- as many floats as I hoped for, so I took the under on that one for not only my first of these right...but on the first go, too!

More interesting than watching it, I once got to -apply- flowers to one of those floats. None of the fancy areas, but they do have to be -covered- in some plant...so us schlubs get things like "side panel R." I got a bucket of some random flower bud, some glue, and you'd apply it about a palm full at a time. Had to be flat and very tightly packed. No, I don't remember which float exactly, but I might be able to find it if photos of past trophy winners from the late 90s are out there...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8999
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bamaman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 am

I just watched a few random episodes on demand, including the Westworld game. All I'll say is that it makes Divided look smart.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 pm

From today's show:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The first look at the facts and numbers.
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
What the contestant locked in with 26 seconds remaining of the original 45.
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
$10,000 and not the first time a contestant got it right on the first attempt.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 am

Props to the contestant for getting it first try. I would have gotten 3/5,
SpoilerShow
flipping the 2nd and 3rd lowest. Wouldn't have guessed only 27 countries had monarchies.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8009
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm

From the 5/11 episode:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The original mix
Image
What the contestant had for the first attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
One correct
What the contestant had after the second attempt:
SpoilerShow
Image
None right
The correct line up:
SpoilerShow
Image
How I played it:
SpoilerShow
I knew the popes were low as I had looked it up recently.  Somewhere previously I had come across the high number for the NYT.  For the price point of the book I liked it ending in -00 for a guess.  Calories I figured at four figures leaving the weight (what I knew the least about) at 885 for the home win in one try.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], guessonguessonguess and 32 guests