Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by tiwonge »

Possibly because the more words you ask for, the more different translations you have to deal with? (I'm just thinking that when I hear this in English, it doesn't have the first and. "The Way, the Truth and the Life.") This isn't all that hard to deal with (and you kind of have to deal with it anyway with possible multiple translations of, say, "via"), but it might simplify things a bit to just ask for the three words.

The fact that two of the three were going for a three-word phrase does suggest a possibility that they misunderstood the question--rather than thinking it asked them to translate the three words (that aren't "et"), they might have thought the question as asking for a translation of the phrase that was a three-word phrase.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Old Jeopardy writers writing a category about Youtube did not turn out well. For the clue about mocking coming attractions, I replied with "Oh I don't know...about 1,000 different channels?". What would the show have done in response to any other series or channel that does the exact same freaking thing as Honest Trailers?

And Cracked?! They were last relevant in what, like 2010? Checking their Youtube channel, they haven't uploaded a single video in 4 months. Their subscriber count of 2.1 million is pathetic for a major humor website that has been around for a long time, and the view count on their videos is even worse. I have friends who have Youtube channels in addition to their full-time jobs with about 200k subscribers that get higher view counts per video than Cracked.

I also hated the clue in the math category about "semi-prime". I have literally never heard or come across this term, despite having a math degree from Caltech. Okay, a search shows that it exists, but it's a very niche term in a very niche field of mathematics.

I doubt, for instance, that they would ever have a clue for "Banach algebra", even though it is a far more widely-used, applicable term that is used 10 times as often in math articles.

Most likely, the writers wanted something related to "prime", and didn't realize they had actually chosen something very obscure. Amusingly, I think that question is a lot easier for someone who DOESN'T know math, as I was kept from guessing "semi-prime" as I had never heard the term.

All that aside...good game. Optimal DD betting from Dhruv and Rishab. Excellent play by Alli. I got the truth and life parts, but not "way".
Last edited by IronNeck on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 pm I found this FJ clue to be awkwardly worded, as if they literally wanted a three word phrase - no more, no less.
I thought the same initially until I pieced through the Latin and remembered the Bible verse. My gut feeling tells me Twitter rage will be high on this one.
Yeah, very clunky wording.

I got "truth and life" but knew that with the inclusion of 'via' that 'and' obviously wasn't the third word they wanted. At that point I realized they didn't want a phrase, but the translation of the three not 'et' words.

Unfortunately, 'way' was not going to come to me tonight.

I'll go on record, the time limit still beat me, but nevertheless, yuck at that phrasing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
clprez

Post by clprez »

I agree on the strange wording of FJ!

I started out with street and truth and life, and then realized the phrase from the bible from that.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 pm I also hated the clue in the math category about "semi-prime". I have literally never heard or come across this term, despite having a math degree from Caltech. Okay, a search shows that it exists, but it's a very niche term in a very niche field of mathematics.

I doubt, for instance, that they would ever have a clue for "Banach algebra", even though it is a far more widely-used, applicable term that is used 10 times as often in math articles.
I knew semi-prime. But it didn't ask for semi-prime, it asked for prime, with semi- given as an (unneeded) context. I do dabble a bit in number theory, though.

Although you're right, we'll probably never see a question on algebra that approaches it by explaining or talking about a Banach algebra. Checking the archive, I do see other things, like Boole(an) algebra, and a clue on Rubik mentions not his cube but group theory.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I came up with truth and life quickly, but just couldn't cross the bridge from "via" to "way." It seems so obvious in retrospect. Looking through the comments so far I see that I'm not alone.

My precall was "Agnus Dei."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

39 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Kaiser, Regina, Rochester

Ran You Knew There'd Be Math.

Might have gotten the Lombards clue if they did the Visigoths and Ostrogoths clue first.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 pm I came up with truth and life quickly, but just couldn't cross the bridge from "via" to "way." It seems so obvious in retrospect. Looking through the comments so far I see that I'm not alone.

My precall was "Agnus Dei."
My precall was it cannot be as basic as naming St. Jerome. It was probably best I went to the clue with a clean slate and had not done a bunch of Bible terms in Latin precalls to set up possible detours.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:31 pm

NHO any of those terms in the Math category. Second derivatives?! Semi-prime?!? Bar graph?!?

Ever watch How I Met your Mother?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My reaction to seeing the FJ category was “this won’t be a Kids’ Week final.” When I saw the clue, I withdrew that earlier reaction only to see them go 1/3. From Dhruv’s reaction, it appeared to me that he did a straight translation from Latin and didn’t recognize the phrase. For me, Via Appia to Appian Way is Pavlovic, so instaget.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The triple stumper that had me saying "really?" tonight was teak. :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 pm The triple stumper that had me saying "really?" tonight was teak. :D
I realized that the judges don't realize that things like this are not academic knowledge but usually gained by experience and exposure. Types of woods to young adults are 1) real wood, 2) plywood, 3) particle board or MAYBE MDF, etc.. I understand not knowing teak. But answering with pine which is the laughingstock of wood? (apologies to pinephiles). Druhv kept shooting from the hip and got overrun but prevailed in FJ.

I never heard of semi-prime, but it was a fill in the blank clue so big deal. There's hundreds of special prime categories and many are more numerology than number theory.

My vacation Bible school teachers could have cost me $100,000. I remember the verse as "I am the way, the truth, and the LIGHT, and no.... Twelvefootgirl thought that also.

I felt the disclaimer was either racist, reverse racist, or virtue signaling. Not cool. Is Michael Cohen the show's lawyer?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

In RSA cryptography, public keys are semi-primes. (They are the product of two very large prime numbers.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

A fascinating set of FJ wagers kind of wasted by the sole get. Dhruv's $6800 bet has two very plausible reasons, could be going for the nice round figure of $20,000, but also on a miss it leaves him with $6800, beating the leader's $6,799 by a dollar, a pretty reasonable choice in the Stratton's Dilemma position he was in. However Rishab actually outmaneuvered him here by dropping to $7,000 on a miss, would have stolen the game from both opponents by a narrow margin on a triple stumper. The bet by Rishab was the round number looking figure of $5,000 so in both cases it's hard to tell whether their bets were carefully considered and chosen for strategic value or if it just looks that way...the world may never know!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote: i didn't think of Alex's disclamer being about FJ and Ally being more likely familiar with the verse, I thought it was having to do with Rishab having to deal with a fight song insulting his university.
I second this.
I think it is much more likely to be the reason than the FJ theory.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 am
DBear wrote: i didn't think of Alex's disclamer being about FJ and Ally being more likely familiar with the verse, I thought it was having to do with Rishab having to deal with a fight song insulting his university.
I second this.
And yet we have a primary source saying otherwise.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm Dhruv posted this on Reddit: About Alex’s disclaimer—when he spoke to us after the show he explained that he didn’t want to make it seem to viewers that Alli had an unfair advantage on a Bible question since many viewers would presume (accurately) that neither Rishab nor I are Christian
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

tiwonge wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 am In RSA cryptography, public keys are semi-primes. (They are the product of two very large prime numbers.)
This is true, but they're rarely referred to as "semi-primes". Or at least not when I was learning about RSA encryption some years ago.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:31 am
Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 am
I second this.
And yet we have a primary source saying otherwise.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm Dhruv posted this on Reddit: About Alex’s disclaimer—when he spoke to us after the show he explained that he didn’t want to make it seem to viewers that Alli had an unfair advantage on a Bible question since many viewers would presume (accurately) that neither Rishab nor I are Christian
Wow, that is an absolutely bizarre reason for the disclaimer. Aside from the fact that any number of clues in a given game will favor people from certain backgrounds over others and that's simply unavoidable, its application doesn't even make sense here. Alli might well be Jewish, giving her zero edge, and even if she's not, there is a significant percentage of whites in America who are not Christian, especially among younger generations. Nevermind that one would need to be Christian to have read the Bible, or that knowing Latin would be even more useful for the clue.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,600
49 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: kaiser, Regina, waffle, Rochester, Richmond, teak
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm I'm surprised by the sole get. Three fairly easy Latin words connected by a couple of "et"s. A fairly well-known saying of Jesus. I'll be interested to see how this one polls.
I agree, although I realize we're both coming at this as Bible-literate Christians.

Kids really dig Holes. I see what you did there, writers.

The scalar clue was almost identical to one of last season's LearnedLeague questions. It took me several minutes to come up with the correct answer then; thankfully, I was able to pull it from my brain much more quickly the second time around.

My first attempt at calculus in 20+ years didn't quite go as well as I had hoped. I took the first derivative as 9x rather than 9x^2, so my second derivative was 9. Glad that $4,000 math lesson happened at home rather than in the studio.

I was very glad to see Rishab go all in on DD3. So many contestants who hit DDs late in the game while in a distant third place seem to prefer losing meekly to going for broke.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm sorely tempted to take Alex's reading of "These nuts" at the start of IT GROWS ON TREES, $400, out of context, and hope someone else does it so I don't have to.

I wonder how the FJ clue would have played in reverse, i.e., getting the players to translate "way," "truth," and "life" into Latin, maybe with the extra hint that they're all V words. Perhaps the possibility of having to neg someone for putting an S at the end of one word too many is too big a pitfall to ask it that way.