2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Steve Spurrier's nickname was "The Old Ball Coach".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm Steve Spurrier's nickname was "The Old Ball Coach".
Either "Head" or "Old" is correct.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm Steve Spurrier's nickname was "The Old Ball Coach".
“Head Ball Coach” is Spurrier’s own modification.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

2018 Boston Marathon winners:

Desiree Linden, the first American women’s champion in 33 years; she won despite dropping back to pace NYC Marathon champion Shalane Flanagan after an emergency bathroom break

Yuki Kawauchi of Japan, previously known for being a considerably more prolific marathon runner than any of his peers
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

This year's Pulitzers most likely to make it onto J!, I'd say, are-
Ronan Farrow, for his work for The New Yorker (though they probably wouldn't go into great detail on the subject), and
Kendrick Lamar, for his "song collection" DAMN.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Night Court star Harry Anderson has died at 65.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4226
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

...except to his detractors, who call him "Steve Superior," and not because they think he is, but because they think HE thinks he is.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

9021amyers wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:36 pm 2018 Boston Marathon winners:

Desiree Linden, the first American women’s champion in 33 years; she won despite dropping back to pace NYC Marathon champion Shalane Flanagan after an emergency bathroom break

Yuki Kawauchi of Japan, previously known for being a considerably more prolific marathon runner than any of his peers
Reminds me of one of the oddest anecdotes of any major race:

1971, Cali, Colombia, Pan American Games.

American Frank Shorter had already won the 10,000 meters, which he thought was his strongest event, and decided to run the marathon a few days later "for fun." He was running with the lead pack several miles into the race when he was stricken with a bout of "Montezuma's Revenge," and had to---just HAD TO---take a break.

With no porta-potties in sight, he announced to his teammate (also in the lead pack) that he was going to stop wherever he could, to relieve himself. That turned out to be a ditch where a crew of Colombian construction workers was doing a repair job along the race route. He jumped into the ditch and promptly relieved himself, to the amazement (and disgust, I imagine) of the workers.

He climbed out of the ditch and resumed running. He caught up to the lead pack a couple of miles later. They estimated that he had run a 4:45 pace to do so.

He went on to win the race, a prelude to his victory in the Munich Olympics a year later (which he pulled off without, uh, pulling off his shorts during the race). Go figure.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away at the age of 92. She and former President George H.W. Bush were married 73 years.

Statement from H.W.'s office here.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 pm Former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away at the age of 92. She and former President George H.W. Bush were married 73 years.

Not that it'll come up on the show, but George H.W. Bush is the first presidential widow or widower since Nancy Reagan's death just over two years ago; all surviving Presidents and First Ladies between then and now were in married pairs (and the previous time when that was the case ended when James Madison made Dolley a widow).
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 pm Former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away at the age of 92. She and former President George H.W. Bush were married 73 years.

Not that it'll come up on the show, but George H.W. Bush is the first presidential widow or widower since Nancy Reagan's death just over two years ago; all surviving Presidents and First Ladies between then and now were in married pairs (and the previous time when that was the case ended when James Madison made Dolley a widow).
One more fact which I forgot to mention, but I've seen and heard a bunch since the news broke (and this may well be a future FJ!): Barbara Bush was the 2nd woman to be the wife of one president and the mother of another; the first was Abigail Adams.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Also on the deaths front, Carl Kasell, longtime NPR newscaster and scorekeeper/announcer on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" passed away on 4/17 at the age of 84 from complications due to Alzheimer's disease.

Personally, though I never had the fortune of winning his voice on my voicemail, I did have a chance to see him live at the Warner Theater in Washington, DC. I did not know that it was literally his last show until they said it. We got to hear the tributes from Katie Couric and President Obama, Carl got multiple standing ovations, John Podesta was the special guest, and we left with a plush doll in his likeness and a tote bag with his face on it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Willow, the last of the 30 or so corgis Queen Elizabeth owned during her reign, has died. It was reported in 2015 that the Queen had stopped breeding corgis because she did not want to leave any behind after she died. She still has two dogs, Vulcan and Candy, which are informally known as “dorgis”--a cross between a dachshund and a corgi.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... the-dorgis

I think corgis have come up on Jeopardy, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see "A dorgi is a cross between a corgi and this dog breed" in a future Jeopardy game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba ... SKBN1HQ1VV
Cuban Communist Party stalwart Miguel Diaz-Canel replaced Raul Castro as president
[Raul Castro] will remain head of the Communist Party until a congress in 2021
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Pro wrestling Legend Bruno Sammartino, who sold out Madison Square Garden 187 times in the 60's and 70's, died yesterday at 82.

They've had pro wrestling questions on the show before, so there is a possibility this comes up.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

As part of the country's festivities for the 50th anniversary of its independence from the UK, the king of Swaziland, Mswati III announced that the country would be changing its name to "eSwatini".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm Pro wrestling Legend Bruno Sammartino, who sold out Madison Square Garden 187 times in the 60's and 70's, died yesterday at 82.

They've had pro wrestling questions on the show before, so there is a possibility this comes up.
My brother was devastated by this news.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Swedish-born Tim Bergling, known by his stage name, Avicii, died in Muscat, Oman, at the age of 28. Avicii, who was a DJ and a producer, was one of the leading figures in electronic dance music. His most-recognized song is "Wake Me Up", which came up on Jeopardy in Season 30.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pro ... 15938.html

I hate to even mention this, but it might come up: Kim Kardashian West announced that she and her sisters, Khloe and Kourtney, are closing their DASH stores. The stores feature items handpacked by the sisters, and were often featured in their reality show franchise.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/kim-kardashia ... ities.html
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It's in the news that President Trump has a lawyer named Ty Cobb. I think this is likely to come up simply because he shares a name with the famous baseball player.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.