Thursday, April 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, April 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm I went to Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after briefly drawing a blank. My dad and I exchanged responses; he had Arlington, and I thought that was a much better response than mine.
Same here except it was me and my wife. I didn't think the Tomb was that old, but it seemed to fit "our most sacred shrine."
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I came up with the correct FJ pretty late in the music, and realistically only would've had time to write "Arlington." Any chance that would be good enough?

I second TPH's poll request for Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, especially considering it was a triple stumper in the top box. If any of them had gotten it, I would've written it off as my being too old. Apparently there was a film in 2015, but it was a limited release.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 pm I think the writers jumped the shark on "if you have time to lean you have time to clean". Anybody here heard that one?
It sounded familiar but I don't know that I've heard it in my normal life before. It looks like it is especially associated with Ray Kroc and McDonald's.

It looks like this phrase showed up in the relatively recent popular movie "The Founder" so a really sharp film buff might get it just from that.

I guessed Gettysburg but I knew the year was off. I've heard of "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" but I definitely didn't get it - I would have WAGed with "Marley and Me" if it was a daily double and I had to give a response.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:52 pm So are you saying that "Cohen Baskin," "Greenfield Robbins," "Cohen Ben," and "Greenfield Jerry" are also plausible names?
To be fair, "Greenfield Jerry" sounds pretty cool. Like the Jewish version of Mungo Jerry.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was the other response I didn't get in that category in addition to Chocolate War. The fact that it was a Triple Stumper AND in the top box shows the big disconnect from award-winning/much-lauded recent works and what people actually read, if anything, nowadays.

With barely 100k ratings on Goodreads for a weepy, mass appeal YA novel with a film adaptation that kids nevertheless aren't forced to read in school, you better believe it's going to be a Triple Stumper.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I sure hope I’m not the only person who said “Mormon Tabernacle”
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
43 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oliver Cromwell, finder's fee

I struggled with FJ! for about the first half of the Think Music, but then the mid-war year, the folded flag, and the "most sacred shrine" concept coalesced in my mind and led me to Arlington. Given the length of the correct response, I thought it a good sign that the contestants were still writing furiously as the timpani sounded. Alas, it was not to be. I like, though, that the contestants are still relatively close, as tomorrow's game should be another barn-burner.

I love how Dhruv carries himself and how he takes his time on DDs. Being able to avoid getting caught up in the heat of the moment is one of the critical keys to success on J!

Medea may not be a good Mothers' Day choice, but I think we can all agree that a Madea movie marathon is.
alietr wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 pm BTW, whenever I go to Costco, I pass the cemetery. It's a sobering sight.
Having been to the East Plano Costco on a Saturday afternoon, I get where you're coming from. Hoo boy.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cmac24
Contributor

Post by cmac24 »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am I sure hope I’m not the only person who said “Mormon Tabernacle”
I didn't think of the tabernacle but I did consider the Washington National Cathedral before settling on Arlington Cemetery.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:01 pm A pretty tough FJ because what is the likelihood than anyone would know the correct response? An educated guess was probably as good as it is going to get with this type of clue, i.e., Gettysburg is probably wrong because of it so what's the other national "shrine" that would have been started in the waning of the Civil War? But unless you've been to DC and visited Arlington, it's probably not something that comes immediately to mind for most folks.
I agree this was a toughie. Maybe they were expecting another softball like the three SF FJs. Maybe that's what prompted William to go all-in. I don't think I would have bet more than about half my winnings in game 1 of a 2-day final.

I also agree that an educated guess may be the best you can do here. Gettysburg was a good guess because it shows you're probably thinking of a cemetery, which the clue suggests. Wouldn't be Gettysburg, though, because IIRC it was dedicated in November 1863, only a few months after the battle, and not 1864. Note to Hannah: it wouldn't be Lincoln Memorial either because, uh, Abe was still alive in 1864.

I fixated on the year and the "shrine" part and totally overlooked the "folded flag." Never thought about a cemetery. at all and guessed Washington Monument because a) I believe it may be considered a shrine and b) IIRC it was completed late in the Civil War (which was widely considered a gesture of optimism that the republic would survive the war).

Generally great performances all around by the finalists, reflected in their excellent totals going into FJ (and in the fact that I had absolutely ZERO LT). Too bad they all dropped so precipitously by negging FJ. Should make for a most interesting final game.

I'm still rooting for Hannah, now that Rebecca has been eliminated.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Here is what is looks like:
Arlington_National_Cemetery_Seal.png
Arlington_National_Cemetery_Seal.png (282.71 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

John Boy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am I fixated on the year and the "shrine" part and totally overlooked the "folded flag." Never thought about a cemetery. at all and guessed Washington Monument because a) I believe it may be considered a shrine and b) IIRC it was completed late in the Civil War (which was widely considered a gesture of optimism that the republic would survive the war).
Construction started on the Washington Monument in 1848 and continued until 1854, at which point the initial donations ran out and activity was paused with the monument half-finished. Congress appropriated additional funds in 1876 and the monument was completed in 1884. (The cap is made of aluminum, which at the time was an extremely rare metal.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm
John Boy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am I fixated on the year and the "shrine" part and totally overlooked the "folded flag." Never thought about a cemetery. at all and guessed Washington Monument because a) I believe it may be considered a shrine and b) IIRC it was completed late in the Civil War (which was widely considered a gesture of optimism that the republic would survive the war).
Construction started on the Washington Monument in 1848 and continued until 1854, at which point the initial donations ran out and activity was paused with the monument half-finished. Congress appropriated additional funds in 1876 and the monument was completed in 1884. (The cap is made of aluminum, which at the time was an extremely rare metal.)
I knew all of that EXCEPT for whatever reason I thought it was completed/capped with the aluminum cap during the war. Oh well.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm
When we went to DC as small children (I was 9, my sister 7), the NPS Ranger jokingly explained the difference in color for the marble between the darker lower part (pre-Civil War) and the lighter upper section as caused by the high-water mark from the last flood. My sister totally freaked out!

Count me as one who thought this was an instaget - folded flag = funeral, particularly military ones; most sacred military cemetery is Arlington, and I knew that it was set up during the Civil War as an in-your-face to the prior occupant (plus it was a jim-dandy prime piece of real estate, perfect for a huge cemetery).

And yes, I've been there a few times.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:18 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm I went to Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after briefly drawing a blank. My dad and I exchanged responses; he had Arlington, and I thought that was a much better response than mine.
Same here except it was me and my wife. I didn't think the Tomb was that old, but it seemed to fit "our most sacred shrine."
My response, too. Turns out the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier wasn't dedicated until after WWI. Too bad we couldn't get a "Be less specific" from AT for a Final Jeopardy.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 pm I think the writers jumped the shark on "if you have time to lean you have time to clean". Anybody here heard that one?
It sounded familiar but I don't know that I've heard it in my normal life before. It looks like it is especially associated with Ray Kroc and McDonald's.

It looks like this phrase showed up in the relatively recent popular movie "The Founder" so a really sharp film buff might get it just from that.
Yeah, that. I've always associated that line with Ray Kroc & McD's.
Instaget FJ for me. At least I got Pink in the pop music category.
Got the Oliver Cromwell trash at the end.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Folded flag said military cemetery to me. I started with "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier," thought that was created later, some time after 1900, and then said, oh, Arlington Cemetery, confiscated from Lee right after the war I'd thought, but plausibly could have been the year before when they captured his land.

Helps that I live not far away. My husband went with Gettysburg, though.

I've read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, and I've seen the movie, but the clue didn't lead me right to it. Might not have been listening with 100% attention, or else the clue wasn't as direct as it should've been for a book that didn't win awards and wasn't a huge part of the conversation on YA books in the past few years.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am I sure hope I’m not the only person who said “Mormon Tabernacle”
It was the first thing I thought of, but it seemed like more of a Utah Historical Site than a US Historical Site, if that makes sense. Then I realized the significance of the folded flag and switched to the correct response.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Surprising Instaget FJ - for some reason "Our Most Sacred Shrine" gave it to me immediately.

NHO "The Chocolate War" or "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl".

I'm again impressed with all of the College contestants, and the games have been quick, fun, and well-played.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:47 pm
It was the first thing I thought of, but it seemed like more of a Utah Historical Site than a US Historical Site, if that makes sense. Then I realized the significance of the folded flag and switched to the correct response.
I've been known to ignore the category in crafting my responses to Final
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
davey

Post by davey »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:41 pm
dinghammer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:47 pm
I've been known to ignore the category in crafting my responses to Final
As far as I can tell, U.S. Historic Site is not an official designation - that's National Historic Site. Which Arlington is not - it's a National Cemetery. So i'd say the tabernacle fits the category just as well as Arlington, though I wouldn't expect the former to get a government designation.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm surprised that no one commented on the alliteration clues "whistle while you work" and "gift of the gab" (or "the gift of gab" as presented). Doesn't alliteration mean that all words have to start with the same letter/sound? I *may* be willing to forgive the prepositions "of" and "the", but "you"? That's a pronoun, a pretty important part of speech, why should that be ignored for the alliteration?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012