2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm As part of the country's festivities for the 50th anniversary of its independence from the UK, the king of Swaziland, Mswati III announced that the country would be changing its name to "eSwatini".
I looked this up and read that he said one of the reasons he did this was because many people confuse his country with Switzerland. I often confuse a very poor African country with a prosperous European Alpine nation (as I’m sure many here do as well), so I welcome the change.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 am
teapot37 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm As part of the country's festivities for the 50th anniversary of its independence from the UK, the king of Swaziland, Mswati III announced that the country would be changing its name to "eSwatini".
I looked this up and read that he said one of the reasons he did this was because many people confuse his country with Switzerland. I often confuse a very poor African country with a prosperous European Alpine nation (as I’m sure many here do as well), so I welcome the change.
Interesting tidbit in a CNN story i read about Swaziland:

Unlike some African countries, Swaziland, landlocked between South Africa and Mozambique, did not change its name when it gained independence in 1968. After independence, Rhodesia changed its name to Zimbabwe, Nyasaland to Malawi, and Bechuanaland to Botswana.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 am It's in the news that President Trump has a lawyer named Ty Cobb. I think this is likely to come up simply because he shares a name with the famous baseball player.
Which one? Mickey Mantle? :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The world’s oldest person, Nabi Tajimi, has died in Japan at 117. She was the last known person born in the 19th century.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Actor Verne J. Troyer, a 2'8" actor best known for his role as Mini-Me in the Austin Powers movies, died at the age of 49.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 am The world’s oldest person, Nabi Tajimi, has died in Japan at 117. She was the last known person born in the 19th century.
At long last all the website developers can drop the 19th century in the scroll box where you put in your birthdate! And I feel bad when I have to scroll down 3-4 times to input my baby boom year.

And, the programmer who decided to assign Date Values based on 1/1/1900 no longer has to worry about Nabi anymore!

It is amazing that Japan has such a lock on super-centenarians. Way to go, Nabi!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 am The world’s oldest person, Nabi Tajimi, has died in Japan at 117. She was the last known person born in the 19th century.
At long last all the website developers can drop the 19th century in the scroll box where you put in your birthdate! And I feel bad when I have to scroll down 3-4 times to input my baby boom year.

And, the programmer who decided to assign Date Values based on 1/1/1900 no longer has to worry about Nabi anymore!

It is amazing that Japan has such a lock on super-centenarians. Way to go, Nabi!
Actually, if Nabi was 117, they wouldn’t have to worry about 1/1/1900 anyways as she would have been born no earlier than late April 1900 (it turns out her birthday is in August). Don’t forget the 19th century includes the year 1900, as the somewhat famous FJ! of episode 2 showed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Actually, if Nabi was 117, they wouldn’t have to worry about 1/1/1900 anyways as she would have been born no earlier than late April 1900 (it turns out her birthday is in August). Don’t forget the 19th century includes the year 1900, as the somewhat famous FJ! of episode 2 showed.
Damn. I got suckered by the mainstream media. They know everybody read that line about the 19th century as being born 1899 something. How are we supposed to know the year now is 2018 instead of some random number? So Nabi was born on day 217 in the year of our computer lords. Good catch, DHK.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

California police have arrested Joseph James DeAngelo, suspected of being the "Golden State Killer". The arrest comes a couple of months after the publication of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by journalist Michelle McNamara, the late wife of comedian Patton Oswalt. (McNamara coined the killer's nickname.) The book, with an introduction by Gillian (Gone Girl) Flynn, chronicles McNamara’s hunt for the killer.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... ller-quest

Ford Motor Company announced that it will concentrate on trucks and SUVs. Its passenger-car lineup in North American will consist of just two entries: the Mustang and the Focus Active crossover. The company's biggest-selling product is the F-150 truck, which is manufactured at the historic Rouge Plant in Dearborn, Michigan.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... /549463002
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:38 pm California police have arrested Joseph James DeAngelo, suspected of being the "Golden State Killer". The arrest comes a couple of months after the publication of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by journalist Michelle McNamara, the late wife of comedian Patton Oswalt. (McNamara coined the killer's nickname.) The book, with an introduction by Gillian (Gone Girl) Flynn, chronicles McNamara’s hunt for the killer.

The police chief mentioned that the book had absolutely nothing to do with detectives catching the killer.

This, of course, did not abate Patton Oswalt's foolish, disgusting grandstanding one iota.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bob Dorough, the musical mind (and often voice) behind School House Rock, died Monday at the age of 94.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:15 am
Blue Lion wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:38 pm California police have arrested Joseph James DeAngelo, suspected of being the "Golden State Killer". The arrest comes a couple of months after the publication of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by journalist Michelle McNamara, the late wife of comedian Patton Oswalt. (McNamara coined the killer's nickname.) The book, with an introduction by Gillian (Gone Girl) Flynn, chronicles McNamara’s hunt for the killer.

The police chief mentioned that the book had absolutely nothing to do with detectives catching the killer.
No he didn't; the sheriff did.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 am

A meaningless bit of pedantry. More relevantly, I am 99.9% certain that any clue that comes up on Jeopardy about the Golden State Killer will not mention Michelle McNamara's book.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am

A meaningless bit of pedantry. More relevantly, I am 99.9% certain that any clue that comes up on Jeopardy about the Golden State Killer will not mention Michelle McNamara's book.
and on the 1% chance...

In 2018, Patton Oswalt claimed his late wife's research and subsequent book led directly to the capture of Joseph James DeAngelo, better known with this moniker.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am

A meaningless bit of pedantry.
Well, if you want to insist that it was the City and not the County of Sacramento that took him in, be my guest.

I think mentioning the claim the book had nothing to do with the suspect's apprehension (when nothing to the contrary was asserted here) is also a meaningless bit of pedantry. The only difference is that my statement was fully accurate.

edit: I assume you've seen the response above by now and feel no need to respond. I have a non-pedantic thing to say about your post, but don't feel like it's worth making a new reply about. (I realize you won't get notified for an edit as one does when quoted. I don't want it to seem like I'm pretending to win by having the last post and editing something extra into it, so hopefully this explanation suffices to show that what I'm about to say comes from a genuine place.)

Anyway, the other thing: if your purpose of mentioning that McNamara's book didn't affect the investigation is to opine that I'll Be Gone in the Dark is not likely to figure into a clue on J!, and therefore is not worth bringing up in the current events thread, that's fine, and I won't begrudge you that opinion or your choice to express it here. However, if that was your reason for saying so, then springboarding from that, into editorializing about how McNamara's widower has responded to the apparent resolution of the case that obsessed his late wife, is a hypocritical move. After all, how relevant can Patton Oswalt's Twitter posts about the book be to this thread, if the book itself is not? (But if you weren't implying that the book isn't relevant to the thread, I apologize for misreading your intentions.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm just gonna let Deadspin's headline do the heavy lifting here...
Baker Mayfield Receives Honor Of Being Next Doomed Cleveland QB

Not covered in headline, but very fair game, the newest, saddest, NFL 1st Draft Pick, is from [University of] Oklahoma.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sting & Shaggy album collaboration: 44/876

Album title from phone codes for England & Jamaica

"Morning is Coming" is one of the songs on the album.

Head Over Heels: Stage musical featuring songs by The Go-Go's
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

William and Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have named their third child Louis Arthur Charles.

Kensington Palace said on Friday that his official title will be His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 am William and Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have named their third child Louis Arthur Charles.

Kensington Palace said on Friday that his official title will be His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge.
Not that he's likely to ascend to the throne, but if he does ...

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pablo Sandoval just pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning to join Babe Ruth for a short list of guys with three home runs in a World Series game and pitching success in a regular game. Did Pujols or Reggie ever pitch?