Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
1. Yes, there are many real world prices set at non-round amounts. But my thinking was, while it is quite possible a writer could choose a non-round amount, the price is a contrived amount versus the statistic of how many real people have joined Mensa which is a random amount.

2. With the exception of the pizza degrees, these numbers are likely approximations, with even the Westworld price possibly being something like $39,995 in the show.

3. Winsanity is not a pure YEKIOYD trivia game. Ask for any of these numbers without a set to choose from and most would only have a shot at the pizza number (I would have guessed far higher for the Twitter followers based on the popularity of all the Hulk memes out there). The contestant is supposed to suss out the order in relation to the other numbers. The question writers are unlikely to include a number like the Mensa members if it were 40,000.
I would prefer not to.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:58 am
IronNeck wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:53 am
Volante wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 pm "Odd significant figure not divisible by five" is painful to type and comprehend.
This is also wrong. 40,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 4 in 4*10^4, that is not divisible by 5. Similarly, 57,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 5.7 in 5.7*10^4, that is ALSO not divisible by 5.

Ergo, what is the supposed difference?
Is being deliberately obtuse a hobby of yours or something?...
No, but it's clear being a rude asshat is a favorite pastime of yours.
Go look up what significant figures are in math before you try to claim "4" is divisible by 5.
Go reread my post, as I wrote the the exact opposite of what you're claiming. Your reading comprehension is evidently as poor as your arithmetic.

And I agree with jeff to a point. Perhaps 40,000 might be slightly more likely than 57,000 as the price in a fictional work, but the latter is far from disqualifed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
From the interactive website they set up, the cost was stated to be "at least $40,000 per day". So, that doesn't make any of the higher numbers incorrect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm
From the interactive website they set up, the cost was stated to be "at least $40,000 per day". So, that doesn't make any of the higher numbers incorrect.
That reminds me of when Cash Show asked "What planet takes over 29 Earth years to orbit the sun?" and the choices were Saturn, Jupiter, and Neptune. Technically, only one choice was wrong!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This was the bonus round from a few days ago:
Spoiler
The correct line-up:
Spoiler

The contestant got $500 for having one correct highlighted in green.

Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.
I Had the same thought process of knowing outright 27 and 42 and being able to slot in 33. I initially had 47 and 54 reversed but would have swapped them on the show.
Since the contestant only got Mandela right, do you remember how many spaces they thought Connect 4 had? It would seem figuring that one out would make it easier for the others to fall in place :P and only the NPR option really fits a plausible grid pattern.
I would prefer not to.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bartleby wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm Because I knew what went with 27 and 42 that left me no doubt what went with 33.  From there I either get all five right on the first try or for sure on the second try.
I Had the same thought process of knowing outright 27 and 42 and being able to slot in 33. I initially had 47 and 54 reversed but would have swapped them on the show.
Since the contestant only got Mandela right, do you remember how many spaces they thought Connect 4 had? It would seem figuring that one out would make it easier for the others to fall in place :P and only the NPR option really fits a plausible grid pattern.
Do not recall, but know where to look:
Spoiler
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/winsanity/

First try:
“The BACHELOR(ETTE)” seasons: 27
Weight of world’s heaviest cat: 47
Yrs. Mandela spent in prison: 33
Avg. age of npr listener: 42
Connect 4 spaces: 54
ONE RIGHT

2nd Try:
NOTHING: 54
Avg. age of NPR listener: 33 (54)
“The BACHELOR(ETTE)” seasons: 42
Connect 4 spaces: 47
Yrs. Mandela spent in prison: 27
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'd love to see what a Connect Four grid would look like with
Spoiler
a prime number of spaces.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 am I'd love to see what a Connect Four grid would look like with
Spoiler
a prime number of spaces.
I got ya.
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This was a game last week.

The original scramble as presented to the contestant:
Spoiler
Spoiler

This is after the contestant made the first attempt:
Spoiler
The contestant had two correct.
This is after the second attempt:
Spoiler
The contestant had zero correct and only won the amount from the previous rounds.
This is the correct line up:
Spoiler
There was no doubt which three went with the highest numbers, so for me playing along it was either first try or second try for guaranteed five right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am right there with you in having at least three right without taking a breath. Playing along here, I went 5/5, but I wouldn't have needed more than two turns to get it right no matter what.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Some of the ones you've posted had me taking wild guesses after one or two, but this was a relatively easy 5/5.
Spoiler
OK, maybe they don't watch J!, but I thought Lent and African countries were well-known trivia staples. I really hated Growing Pains as a child and didn't know Leo was in it or for how long, but at that point it was a coin flip anyway
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Yep. Got it right first try. If I hadn't, I'd have switched J-Lo and Leo.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I'd love to see a Jeopardy! episode with
Spoiler
a prime number of clues. No wait, a prime number of contestants. Ah, hell, forget it.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The bonus round from a few days ago:
Spoiler
Spoiler
The initial look the contestant had at the facts and numbers.
What the contestant had after the first attempt:
Spoiler
The contestant was told three were correct.
What the contestant had after the second attempt:
Spoiler
The contestant had two correct.
The correct lineup:
Spoiler
The contestant got an extra $1,000 for having the bottom two right.

The way I played it was no doubt the band was low, the wheel had to be 800 based on the numbers and I could not imagine the ship having 41 or 50 decks to leave 50:50 on the ice cream/floats.  800 floats?  How long would that parade last?  Wow!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm
Spoiler
The way I played it was no doubt the band was low, the wheel had to be 800 based on the numbers and I could not imagine the ship having 41 or 50 decks to leave 50:50 on the ice cream/floats.  800 floats?  How long would that parade last?  Wow!
Spoiler
Same logic, then I used my experience of being being bored as a tree watching the Rose Parade (and this just off the TV!) that there's -never- as many floats as I hoped for, so I took the under on that one for not only my first of these right...but on the first go, too!

More interesting than watching it, I once got to -apply- flowers to one of those floats. None of the fancy areas, but they do have to be -covered- in some plant...so us schlubs get things like "side panel R." I got a bucket of some random flower bud, some glue, and you'd apply it about a palm full at a time. Had to be flat and very tightly packed. No, I don't remember which float exactly, but I might be able to find it if photos of past trophy winners from the late 90s are out there...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just watched a few random episodes on demand, including the Westworld game. All I'll say is that it makes Divided look smart.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From today's show:
Spoiler
Spoiler
The first look at the facts and numbers.
Next:
Spoiler
What the contestant locked in with 26 seconds remaining of the original 45.
Next:
Spoiler
$10,000 and not the first time a contestant got it right on the first attempt.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Props to the contestant for getting it first try. I would have gotten 3/5,
Spoiler
flipping the 2nd and 3rd lowest. Wouldn't have guessed only 27 countries had monarchies.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the 5/11 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
The original mix
What the contestant had for the first attempt:
Spoiler
One correct
What the contestant had after the second attempt:
Spoiler
None right
The correct line up:
Spoiler
How I played it:
Spoiler
I knew the popes were low as I had looked it up recently.  Somewhere previously I had come across the high number for the NYT.  For the price point of the book I liked it ending in -00 for a guess.  Calories I figured at four figures leaving the weight (what I knew the least about) at 885 for the home win in one try.