Friday, April 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 am
DBear wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm Surprising FJ. Got it, but I thought it a good level more difficult than Thursday's.
Thought orangutang would be far more obscure than gorilla.
By the way it's orangutan. I think I've seen someone get negged on the show for adding that "g." The fruit flavored drink "Tang" had a series of commercials that used orangutans and I spelled it wrong for a long time because of that.

Five seconds to look it up on Wiki. Alternate spelling.
3 seconds to notice MattK has already acknowledged the error...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm Surprising FJ. Got it, but I thought it a good level more difficult than Thursday's.
By the way it's orangutan. I think I've seen someone get negged on the show for adding that "g." The fruit flavored drink "Tang" had a series of commercials that used orangutans and I spelled it wrong for a long time because of that.

I guess it depends on when you spend that five seconds. If you do the research 10 years ago you get a different answer than you do now. That's the situation affecting me here.

Here's a link to an old discussion page on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... rangutanG

Another old Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... rminology

Orangutang was formerly listed as an incorrect spelling on the reference you're using.

10 years ago Oxford English Dictionary had a listing for orang-utan but not orangutan or orangutang according to the Wikipedia talk page.

It looks like orangutang was considered a misspelling but it's so common that it is now considered an alternative.

I did not receive the memo that orangutang was no longer considered incorrect. I will consider this a lesson and I will no longer try to comment on spelling. My bad.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I guess it depends on when you spend that five seconds. If you do the research 10 years ago you get a different answer than you do now. That's the situation affecting me here.

Here's a link to an old discussion page on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... rangutanG

Another old Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... rminology

Orangutang was formerly listed as an incorrect spelling on the reference you're using.

10 years ago Oxford English Dictionary had a listing for orang-utan but not orangutan or orangutang according to the Wikipedia talk page.

It looks like orangutang was considered a misspelling but it's so common that it is now considered an alternative.

I did not receive the memo that orangutang was no longer considered incorrect. I will consider this a lesson and I will no longer try to comment on spelling. My bad.
To be clear, the OED online still doesn't list orangutang as a current spelling, or at all if you don't include hyphenated or spaced words. It comes up only in the etymology from other languages. I believe the numbers next to the spelling list I posted earlier indicate what century in which each variant was recorded, so posting it was probably misleading.
The citations suggest that spellings with a final g precede those without, but the 1-g versions have predominated for more than a century. If the extra g is incorrect, it's because there's no g at the end of the Malay word it comes from.
Nevertheless other dictionaries do offer it as an acceptable variant including The Oxford Dictionary of English (© 2009) and The New Oxford American Dictionary (© 2005) that came with my Kindle. That's all that's going to matter for Jeopardy! purposes.

Etymology: Apparently < Malay orang utan person of the forest (although the compound is not the Malay term for the animal, except in recent use: see note) < orang person + utan (also as hutan ) forest, probably via Dutch orang-oetan , orang-oetang (1654 as orangh-outangh ; also as oerang-oetan (18th cent.)): see also quot. a1631 in note. Similar forms (and similar variants) are found in most European languages, both Romance and Germanic; compare e.g. German Orang-Utan (17th cent.), Swedish orangutang (1783; earliest as Orangh Gutans, plural (1667)), Danish orangutang, French orang-outan (dated 1680 in Robert Dict. Alphabétique et Analogique (1986)), Portuguese orangotango (18th cent.), Spanish orangután (1843), Italian orang-utan (1848; earliest as orang-outang (1766–70)). In many of these languages, the second element represents an alteration of Malay utan after the -ng of the first element.[1653 J. Bulwer Anthropometamorphosis (rev. ed.) 437 Of some such kind of extraction that Indian Satyr seems to have been described by Tulpius, that was brought from Angola in his time... He was called by the Indians Orang-Outang, or a wild man.]

1699 E. Tyson (title) Orang-Outang, sive Homo Sylvestris: or, the Anatomy of a Pygmie, Compared with that of a Monkey, an Ape, and a Man.
1699 E. Tyson Orang-outang Pref. The Orang-Outang imitates a Man more than Apes and Monkeys do.
1727 A. Hamilton New Acct. E. Indies II. 131 As there are many Species of wild Animals in these Woods, there is one in particular, called the Oran Outang.
1769 E. Bancroft Ess. Nat. Hist. Guiana 130 The Orang-Outang of Guiana is much larger than either the African or Oriental, if the accounts of the natives may be relied on.
1779 Philos. Trans. 1778 (Royal Soc.) 68 170 The oerang oatan, or wild-man (for that is the meaning of the words) I have heard much talk of, but never seen.
1803 W. Bingley Animal Biogr. I. 37 The Oran Otans..are much more deliberate and sedate than the rest of the tribe.
1836 Penny Cycl. V. 188/1 The variety of the ape and monkey tribes is endless [in Borneo]; and among them is the orang-outang, or the ‘man of the woods’, as the name implies.
1884 Amer. Naturalist 18 1283 We have not yet looked into the recesses of the minds of the lowest races of man, nor do we know the conditions of the minds of the chimpanzee and orangutan.
1916 R. M. Yerkes Mental Life Monkeys & Apes iii. 87 This young orang utan..strove persistently, and often vainly, to gain insight.
1966 R. Morris & D. Morris Men & Apes v. 130 The animal in question..was in fact a chimpanzee, but Tulp gave it the name Orang-outang.
1983 G. C. Whittow Malaysian Wildlife V. 35 The largest of the Malaysian apes, the Orang Utan (Mawas - Pongo pygmaeus), does not occur in peninsular Malaysia.
2002 Nature Conservancy Spring 12/2 Other threats to orangutans include overharvesting of timber and poaching.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 pm P.S. What the heck were they supposed to be spelling?
YMCA
I guess they don't it at Nationals games. Here is one at AZ that makes me laugh:
Spoiler

Is that Tobias Bluth?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Here is my favorite take on a publicly-seen YMCA.

(I've met those guys too. At Anthrocon of all places.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,800
45 R/4 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: seventh day care

Great win by Dhruv. I loved his style of play throughout the tournament.

FJ! felt like a WECIB. There are other knights in literature, of course, but "character who attempts to emulate a knight" seemed to scream Don Quixote.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

immaf wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 pm For FJ my first thought was Lancelot and I was happy enough about it that didn't seriously try to think of anything else. Oops.
Ditto the above, except replace "Lancelot" with "Ivanhoe." I must have been too tired to think further. In retrospect of course Don Q makes perfect sense and nothing else does. (n.b. "does" rhymes with "duhs".)

:roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brown has a press release about Dhruv's win:

https://news.brown.edu/articles/2018/04/jeopardy-win
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And an article in the Brown Daily Herald:

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2018/04 ... mpionship/
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Dhruv will be the first ToC participant ever whose first name exclusively comprises more than three letters in alphabetical order! (Other alphabetical order–named contestants: Guy Tonti, Lou Pryor, Al Lin, Bev Schwartzberg, Amy Fine, Ben Lyon, Ben Tritle, and Ben Ingram. I can't remember if this is an exhaustive list, and I'm not sure whether to count J.J. Todor.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 pm Dhruv will be the first ToC participant ever whose first name exclusively comprises more than three letters in alphabetical order! (Other alphabetical order–named contestants: Guy Tonti, Lou Pryor, Al Lin, Bev Schwartzberg, Amy Fine, Ben Lyon, Ben Tritle, and Ben Ingram. I can't remember if this is an exhaustive list, and I'm not sure whether to count J.J. Todor.)
Oh, Stefan, don't ever change.

I just realized that if you take out the space in Ben Ingram's name you get a message from an African country -- a Beningram.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 pm Dhruv will be the first ToC participant ever whose first name exclusively comprises more than three letters in alphabetical order! (Other alphabetical order–named contestants: Guy Tonti, Lou Pryor, Al Lin, Bev Schwartzberg, Amy Fine, Ben Lyon, Ben Tritle, and Ben Ingram. I can't remember if this is an exhaustive list, and I'm not sure whether to count J.J. Todor.)
Don't count J.J. if you want your statement to remain true :!: (because then you would also have to include Billy Baxter and the four Bills).

Dhruv is the third contestant I know of whose first name is made up of at least five different letters in alphabetical order. Oddly enough, the other two also competed in a College Championship: Amory Jendrek in 2004 and the late Benoy Chacko in 1994.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:16 pm
Don't count J.J. if you want your statement to remain true :!: (because then you would also have to include Billy Baxter and the four Bills).

Dhruv is the third contestant I know of whose first name is made up of at least five different letters in alphabetical order. Oddly enough, the other two also competed in a College Championship: Amory Jendrek in 2004 and the late Benoy Chacko in 1994.
:oops: Maybe I can amend it to "full first name" (assuming that Dhruv isn't short for anything else, and it seems not to be).
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Last zombie for today.

R: 33, W:1, costing 1000
coryat: 23,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 0/3
LT: projectionist

Much better this game than the last 2. No runs, no stumped categories. For me, mostly the luck of getting categories I can handle and TOMs that I could solve. For example, I don't know diddly about 21st century operas, but managed to get the top three clues based on TOMs alone.

My first thought on FJ was for someone in the Arthur mythology. Then I realized those WERE medieval knights. Someone emulating a medieval knight would be likely to come after them. Don Quixote popped into mind and, with the clock ticking, I went with him. The slightly lucky, slightly educated, guess gives me my first 5/5 week since I started keeping track.

Dhruv was a beast in this game, certainly earning the top honors. A very good tournament to watch.
--Peter
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's a little late but anyway, bump for rerun
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am It's a little late but anyway, bump for rerun
It's airing in LA an hour and nine minutes from now
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They aired some special news stuff at 7:00. It had a title with "Protests" and "Progress" in it, though I forget exactly how it was phrased. They did the courtesy of showing a crawl at the bottom saying Jeopardy would air in the wee hours.