Online Test Recap & Discussion (Teen), March 15, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jiwoo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Teen), March 15, 2018

Post by jiwoo »

Lumosityfan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm Got 42 here. Not bad considering the pop culture were somewhat guesses (although this clearly shows I need to watch more TV :| College does not a TV watcher make.)
jiwoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm got 41/50 correct :| :| :|

(missed:)
Spoiler
scruff, clarence thomas, palindrome, stranger things, homophones, manzanar, osmosis, othello, bartlett
i'm deeply concerned about my score and truly thought i would do better based on the questions in the teen mock test and j6 practice :| i'm echoing the queries of the poster above; does anybody know what percentile of scorers are usually selected for audition? being on jeopardy is one of my deepest held dreams as the show brought me a lot of joy while i was ill in the hospital. i really believe being on it would change the trajectory of my life, especially since this is the last year i'm eligible for the teen tournament, not that anyone here really cares, :| sending best wishes to all my fellow test-takers in a similar position
That's a great score! Honestly when I took the online test I got around that score and I still managed to snag an audition so don't worry too much. I know when I went to my auditions 250 people were chosen for the audition sites out of maybe at least 100,000 so about less than 1%? It's hard to get into an audition so I wouldn't sweat the score too much.
wow thank you so much!!! means a lot coming from an actual jeopardy champion ;-; ;-; ;-; i feel like i'm in presence of a deity.

do you have any insight as to how they actually select a crop that small from such a massive application pool? statistically there can't only be 250 people who get that score, no? is it just randomized? additionally, how long did it take for them contact you post-audition? pardon all my questions, i'm just very interested!
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

Just got selected for the New Orleans tryout!
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

Does anybody know what all the possible locations are?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

tksaleija wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm Just got selected for the New Orleans tryout!
When?

And congratulations!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm
tksaleija wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm Just got selected for the New Orleans tryout!
When?

And congratulations!

June 9th at 2:00 PM

EDIT: Barring natural disaster, I'll be at the one in Washington D.C. on June 23rd.
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

Is there anybody else going to the D.C. tryout?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

tksaleija wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:13 pm Is there anybody else going to the D.C. tryout?
when is that?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

June 23rd
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

Are you disqualified if you turn 18 before the filming date but after the audition?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

tksaleija wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm Are you disqualified if you turn 18 before the filming date but after the audition?
Your question is probably better answered with an email to the address you were given with your audition information.

That said, I would venture that if you graduated high school this spring, then you're probably not going to be a part of the teen tournament. (But again, if you really want to know, then you should probably email the show.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 pm
tksaleija wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm Are you disqualified if you turn 18 before the filming date but after the audition?
Your question is probably better answered with an email to the address you were given with your audition information.

That said, I would venture that if you graduated high school this spring, then you're probably not going to be a part of the teen tournament. (But again, if you really want to know, then you should probably email the show.)
Whatever you do, go to the audition anyway. They can sort through your application info and decide if you're eligible for the teen tournament or not. If you make a good impression in person, maybe they'll consider you for the college division or for regular play.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

A student says he was invited to a July 14 audition in San Francisco.
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

What is the purpose of the 50-question retest At the audition, and is there an unspoken "pass" score like there is with the online test?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

tksaleija wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm What is the purpose of the 50-question retest At the audition, and is there an unspoken "pass" score like there is with the online test?
Yes, the purpose of the test is to see if you can pass it. The in-person test existed decades before there could be such a thing as an online test, so I don't think anyone should assume it's less important. But everybody in the room already passed one, so no sweat, right?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

tksaleija wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm What is the purpose of the 50-question retest At the audition, and is there an unspoken "pass" score like there is with the online test?
At my audition, it was implied without being implicitly stated that one purpose was to screen those who may have taken the online test as part of a group. There's nothing preventing a half-dozen people sitting around a computer to get a high score on the online version.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 pm
At my audition, it was implied without being implicitly stated that one purpose was to screen those who may have taken the online test as part of a group. There's nothing preventing a half-dozen people sitting around a computer to get a high score on the online version.
People post all sorts of things about cheating from home, but what makes the most sense to me is, If you have an objective cut-off, you don't have to worry about how the on-line passing score was achieved. If someone fails in the room, they fail. The coordinators just don't announce it these days.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

jiwoo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 am
Lumosityfan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm Got 42 here. Not bad considering the pop culture were somewhat guesses (although this clearly shows I need to watch more TV :| College does not a TV watcher make.)
jiwoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm got 41/50 correct :| :| :|

(missed:)
Spoiler
scruff, clarence thomas, palindrome, stranger things, homophones, manzanar, osmosis, othello, bartlett
i'm deeply concerned about my score and truly thought i would do better based on the questions in the teen mock test and j6 practice :| i'm echoing the queries of the poster above; does anybody know what percentile of scorers are usually selected for audition? being on jeopardy is one of my deepest held dreams as the show brought me a lot of joy while i was ill in the hospital. i really believe being on it would change the trajectory of my life, especially since this is the last year i'm eligible for the teen tournament, not that anyone here really cares, :| sending best wishes to all my fellow test-takers in a similar position
That's a great score! Honestly when I took the online test I got around that score and I still managed to snag an audition so don't worry too much. I know when I went to my auditions 250 people were chosen for the audition sites out of maybe at least 100,000 so about less than 1%? It's hard to get into an audition so I wouldn't sweat the score too much.
wow thank you so much!!! means a lot coming from an actual jeopardy champion ;-; ;-; ;-; i feel like i'm in presence of a deity.

do you have any insight as to how they actually select a crop that small from such a massive application pool? statistically there can't only be 250 people who get that score, no? is it just randomized? additionally, how long did it take for them contact you post-audition? pardon all my questions, i'm just very interested!
Aww no problem :) (I mean I wish I was a deity haha) I remember Maggie told me on the bus from the hotel to the studios that they actually drew names out of a hat so it is randomized (which makes sense considering there's a lot of names to choose from; even the people that passed the amount certainly can't be enough to go through one by one and pick and choose). When I got on the show, I had my audition November 2013 and got the call February 2014 (although most certainly the wait may be different per person: YMMV) And no problem! hey it's great to see people more interested in Jeopardy! :D
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion