Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7752, 2018-05-01

CONTESTANTS
Geoff Brousseau, an epidemiologist from Centennial, Colorado
Jan Brown, an air traffic controller from Warwick, Rhode Island
Osman Syed, a student from Jamesville, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $33,333)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. If you want to make a really good first impression, do what Osman did on yesterday's program. Win the game and $33,333. Jan, Geoff, could happen to you too. But you gotta get past him. Let's go to work. First round of play. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ANCIENT GREEKS (4/5)
I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NOVEL TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5)
NAME THE MOVIE SPORT (5/5)
SHUT UP (5/5)
TAKE MY MONEY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Geoff: 15 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jan: 7 R, 0 W
Osman: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Geoff: $3,800
Jan: $1,800
Osman: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Geoff Brousseau is an epidemiologist from Centennial, Colorado. Tell me about your dog.

Geoff: Yes. So my wife Jessie and I named our dog Omar after our favorite character in The Wire, Omar Little. And pretty much the name is the only similarity between the two because he lives a life of virtually no danger or hardships, um, so, yeah.

Alex: In other words, you pamper your dog.

Geoff: Yeah, we spoil him quite a bit.

Alex: Okay, well, that's good for you.

Alex: Jan Brown. She is from Rhode Island. She likes animals also.

Jan: I do.

Alex: You have how many dogs and how many cats?

Jan: Three cats and three dogs.

Alex: All rescues?

Jan: They are.

Alex: All healthy?

Jan: So far.

Alex: Do you pamper them? Do you do as he does?

Jan: Absolutely. Their biggest squabbles come over who's gonna have the spot on the bed next to me or on the couch.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Osman Syed is our champion. He's from Jamesville, New York. Once detained in an airport for something rather strange.

Osman: Yeah.

Alex: Not a security issue, I don't think.

Osman: Continuing the pet theme, it was a chicken sandwich.

Alex: Tell me the details. What happened?

Osman: So I was flying back to the United States from overseas, and transiting through Toronto, where they have a customs and border patrol post. And my connection time, I had 90 minutes from landing in Toronto and 90 minutes to my final flight. And it turns out that a customs interrogation over a chicken sandwich lasts longer than 90 minutes, so I ended up being stuck there for quite some time.

Alex: Toronto.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Geoff found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Osman had $1,400, Jan had $3,200, and Geoff was at $6,400. Geoff wagered $2,000.

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT $600: You actively impeded the investigation by giving the FBI false info! That's this 3-word crime & a very, very big deal
(Alex: Geoff?)
(Geoff: What is a lie?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ANCIENT GREEKS $800: In 335 B.C. he brought many more than seven against Thebes when it foolishly rose against his leadership
(Osman: Who is Philip of Macedon?)
(Alex: Who is the son of Philip of Macedon, [*]?)

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT $400: So, you fled over the state border, got caught & were sent back via the 1878 clause regarding this; welcome home!
(Osman: What is the Commerce Clause?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Geoff: $6,400
Jan: $4,200
Osman: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE FRICTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOUBLE "L" WORDS (4/5)
WE'RE AN AMERICAN LAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE NAME OF THE JAMES (4/5)
WORLD MUSIC GRAMMYS (3/5)
POTENT MEASUREMENTS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Osman: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Geoff: 7 R, 0 W
Jan: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Osman snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Osman had $2,800, Jan had $8,200, and Geoff was at $7,600. Osman made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

SCIENCE FRICTION $800: In a 19th c. spat in this field, O.C. Marsh won a round when it turned out E.D. Cope had put an elasmosaurus skull on the tail

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Osman who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Osman had $7,600, Jan had $11,000, and Geoff was at $11,600. Osman wagered $5,500.

WE'RE AN AMERICAN LAND $2000: Annexed in 1867, this island may be only 2 square miles but a 1942 battle there proved to be a key moment in the Pacific in WWII

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE "L" WORDS $1600: It's another name for the esophagus
(Osman: Uh, what is the... gall?)

SCIENCE FRICTION $1200: Atomists like Robert Boyle said the space where atoms aren't is this 4-letter term for emptiness; Spinoza scoffed

WORLD MUSIC GRAMMYS $1600: 1992, not '66: him, for "Brasileiro"

WORLD MUSIC GRAMMYS $2000: 1996:
These Irish instrumental wizards were the bosses

THE NAME OF THE JAMES $2000: This former Maine senator & Secretary of State narrowly lost the 1884 presidential election to Grover Cleveland

POTENT MEASUREMENTS $1600: This "equestrian" measure is equal to one ounce of booze
(Jan: What is a hand?)

POTENT MEASUREMENTS $2000: In the 19th century, the U.K. designated 14 ounces as the size bearing the name of this ship
(Osman: What is a gallon?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Osman: $13,900
Geoff: $13,600
Jan: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FASHION BRANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Osman: Wager $13,301 to cover Geoff.
Geoff: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jan, hoping that you give the correct response and Osman doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,001 to cover Jan's doubled score, but no more than $13,000 if you want to top Osman on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,799 and win if both Osman and Jan miss Final.
Jan: If you think Geoff is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,200 to beat Osman and Geoff on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Geoff is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,801 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Geoff) and $9,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Translated from Roman numerals, "55" appears in luggage & watch product names from a company founded by this man

FINAL SCORES
Jan: $9,800 - $7,000 = $2,800 (Who is Versace) (3rd place: $1,000)
Geoff: $13,600 - $6,001 = $7,599 (Who is Versace) (New champion: $7,599)
Osman: $13,900 - $9,000 = $4,900 (Who is Verscace Versace) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Osman] [*]. LV. LV for 55.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Geoff: $15,600, 22 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jan: $9,800, 13 R, 1 W
Osman: $8,400, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Geoff: 22/59 = .373
Osman: 15/60 = .250
Jan: 13/58 = .224
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NAME THE MOVIE SPORT $600: Featuring Ellen Page:
"Whip It"
(Geoff: What is roller skating?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Geoff: [*]. What is [*]?)

DOUBLE "L" WORDS $2000: This bird is often hard to spot, but its song is easy to recognize

THE NAME OF THE JAMES $1200: Chess Records' first major female star, this R&B singer hit the charts with "At Last" & "Tell Mama"

SCIENCE FRICTION $1600: Isaac Newton feuded for decades with this German over who had invented calculus

CORRECT RESPONSES
obstruction of justice
Alexander the Great
the extradition clause
paleontology
Midway
the gullet
the void
Sergio Mendes
The Chieftains
James G. Blaine
a pony
a schooner
Louis Vuitton
roller derby
a whippoorwill
Etta James
Leibniz
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FASHION BRANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Translated from Roman numerals, “55” appears in luggage & watch product names from a company founded by this man

Osman Syed: 13900-9000=4900
Jan Brown: 9800-7000=2800
Geoff Brousseau: 13600-6001=7599 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Louis Vuitton (Osman – Versace Verscace) (Jan – Versace) (Geoff – Versace)

Daily Doubles
Geoff: 6400-2000
Osman: 2800+2800
Osman: 7600+5500

Coryats
Osman: 8400
Jan: 9800
Geoff: 15600

Combined: 33,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Osman: 2400
Jan: 4200
Geoff: 6400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD1 had old letters vs. words rear its ugly head. I’LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT: You actively impeded the investigation by giving the FBI false info! That’s this 3-word crime & a very, very big deal

Geoff missed with a 3-letter word. A while back there was a discussion (and perhaps a poll as well) about how common it is for that to happen in a weird processing error.

Osman’s mastery of cartoons (or buzzer timing) took a ding today when he was not in on the Fry clue.

The FJ! category had me going along with Alex, “Oh, I see some nasty looks.” The clue was better news as I can convert Roman numerals into initials and lock it in with correct spelling. The players all had the same fail and I would have lost a hefty side bet on that clue going 0/3. You never know.

I wonder if the Roman numerals were the problem? They got to 5 = V without knowing 50 = L? They got to LV without knowing the designer? Did any of the players know Versace was Gianni, but had nothing better?

After seeing the contestants strike out I’m now expecting to see a post here guessing Valentino.

The correct guy has one previous hit in the FJ! round:

#2742, aired 1996-07-02 DESIGNERS: This designer who died in 1892 got his first big break designing luggage for Empress Eugenie

One player got it right on a much harder clue.

The Archive shows five previous FJ! round categories with “Fashion” in the name and those clues went 10/14, so today’s results will lower the overall percentage.

My wishful precall was a Marty McFly/Calvin Klein clue.

Osman was not the same guy today. His buzzing style vs. the Monday opponents and their buzzing style may not play the same on Tuesday with two different players? Sometimes adjustments are necessary.

For what else could have made such a big difference? It’s a quick turnaround from the excitement of winning $33K+ to being right back up there to play again. The Tuesday challengers did not have someone on AARP’s radar. The Tuesday challengers had the helpful experience of watching a game from the stands.

Still, Osman had the lead for the FJ! round in a struggle of a match. Today it seemed better to be in a trailing position. If the clue had been 3/3 the scores would have been:

Osman: 22,900
Geoff: 19001
Jan: 16800

The max score for Geoff was 27200 while Jan had the possibility of 19600. This does seem like a case with the FJ! category possibly affecting the bets.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with the wrong guy but changed just in time.

Why was L in quotation marks in the Double "L" Words?
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

Mark, he's come up at least once since that 1996 cite:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3281, godfathers of sole, $600
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

LV fashion designer = Louis Vuitton. Not too bad.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gobobbygo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 pm Mark, he's come up at least once since that 1996 cite:

As you know from personal experience he has come up many times in the J! round and DJ! rounds. My attempt was to show the one and only time in the Archive he has been in the FJ! round.

On Reddit from Andy I saw another interpretation of how someone could go wrong with the FJ! clue. 55 could be processed as VV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 pm
gobobbygo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 pm Mark, he's come up at least once since that 1996 cite:

As you know from personal experience he has come up many times in the J! round and DJ! rounds. My attempt was to show the one and only time in the Archive he has been in the FJ! round.

On Reddit from Andy I saw another interpretation of how someone could go wrong with the FJ! clue. 55 could be processed as VV.
I came up with VV and thought maybe he just put his last initial twice.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Maybe they didn't know Versache's first name, and guessed it might be L?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I don't remember any glitches during the taping, but I remember being very surprised that this was a triple stumper. I'm weak in fashion, but Louis Vuitton was an instaget for me. The FX miniseries about the assassination of Gianni Versace had just premiered in the previous week--even though I didn't watch it, it put the first name in my mind, and I'm a bit surprised that none of the contestants were saved by the same connection.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

My brain inadvertently added an errant “I” to make it 56, guessed that maybe he did watches and luggage in addition to jeans, and said LeVI.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I have honestly never heard of Versace.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

55 = LV, I'm thinking "Levi's"?

Correct answer Louis Vuitton. I feel stupid now for missing an easy answer.

I thought Osman was going to go on a nice streak. How long has it been since a champion won consecutive games?
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

I found the FJ clue a bit confusing. I got the Louis Vuitton immediately from the 55 in Roman numerals. But then, the clue makes it seem as though "55" appears on the bags, and not "LV." Perhaps it should have been 55 translated into Roman numerals, instead of from them.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

“55.” Two fives. What designer has consecutive Roman numerals in their name? Gucci? No, C is 100. 5 is V; nothing rings a bell. But, 50 is L. 55 is LV; LV is Louis Vuitton.

Took about 20 seconds to figure it out.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

And this is why you can never tell the true talent of a contestant after one game.

Bad wagering from both first and third. If Osman is not going to cover 2nd, then bet just enough to cover 3rd. This would have won. In the end, the lone savvy wager makes all the difference.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

55 in Roman Numerals - LV - Louis Vuitton, done. That could've been a lot worse. Nice game all around, too bad for Osman after a great game yesterday and the charge late to get to the lead. Congrats to our new champ though!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Count me as another one who was surprised by the triple miss, let alone that Osman wasn't a multi-game winner. Goes to show, you don't ever know.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of "Cool Runnings", nor do I recognize anyone in it except John Candy. Any reason this is in the top box, when its only other 3 appearances were in bottom boxes? Poll request please.

Okay, 5 is V. 50 is um... D, C, M, P, Q, no... uh... Oh! 50 is L. LV! Louis Vuitton! I got it!