Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kprather895 »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm
Spoiler
The movie question for $50k was very easy for me, but I would have been eliminated on $10k. As someone who frequently hard boils eggs, I would never in a million years use that method.
But would you prepare any of the other three that way?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm
Spoiler
The movie question for $50k was very easy for me, but I would have been eliminated on $10k. As someone who frequently hard boils eggs, I would never in a million years use that method.
The cited article is worth a read, just to pick up some foodie insight :

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the ... -eggs.html

My in-laws refuse to absorb evidence based cooking advice so they still start boiled eggs in cold water and even use cold skillets for fried eggs. Meanwhile I make peelable eggs and cleanly flipped omlettes, even with eggs from our own chickens. Eleven minutes in boiling water and then a quench was my default mode. The information about the proteins and the done-ness of the yolks was interesting.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Season 32 contestant Lincoln Hamilton was on today. He used the last of his lifelines on the $10,000 question and got it right, so he'll be back tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 pm Season 32 contestant Lincoln Hamilton was on today. He used the last of his lifelines on the $10,000 question and got it right, so he'll be back tomorrow.
Thank you for this post. My station broke in about the Toronto driver when the plus one came down. It was easy to look up the correct answer, but I felt I was in suspense until tomorrow whether he got it right or not.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lincoln Hamilton returned today. I thought he seemed pretty hapless on his $10,000 question, so I tempered my expectations.
Spoiler
Though the channel's full name was dropped in 1985, when it launched on cable in 1979, the abbreviation "ESPN" stood for all but which of these words?
A. Eastern B. Sports C. Programming D. Network
Spoiler
Baseball scout Lincoln knew the E stood for Entertainment; he locked it in and moved on.
Spoiler
The plant camellia sinensis is the source of all true what sold in the world?
A. Coffee B. Black pepper C. Vanilla D. Tea
Spoiler
He thought he could read "chamomile" into "camellia." Given his position in the game, he decided to take a guess with tea.
Spoiler
He was correct.
$50,000: Between the two of them, which of the following President/Vice President duos had a combined nine children when elected?
A. John F. Kennedy & Lyndon Johnson B. Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford C. Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush D. Donald Trump and Mike Pence
Spoiler
He named Ivanka, Donald Jr., Eric, and Tiffany (calling her "the forgotten one" while forgetting one himself), and thought Mike Pence just had a daughter.
He remembered JFK Jr. saluting, but didn't think LBJ had eight kids.
He didn't know about Nixon and Ford.
He knew Bush had George W. and Jeb, didn't think Reagan had that many.
So he was left with Nixon and Ford, but continued thinking things through. He was sure A and D weren't correct. He said this was the one situation in which he thought beforehand he would consider walking away.
"I think I have to walk away." "Final?" "Ehh, maybe not. ... So, if the worst thing that happens to me today is that I walk with thirty thousand and could have gotten it right, I think I can live with that. 'Cause I'm not—I'm just not—I'm not sure how many kids Reagan had at time of office, or Nixon, or Ford, either. Um... wait! Hold on! I think I might have just figured this out, Chris! President and Vice President when they were elected, so that assumes that they were on the same ticket, right? That's the way I'm reading that. That's what those words in English mean. Vice President/President duo. Gerald Ford was never elected Vice President. I mean, that—that I know for sure, so it doesn't matter how many kids he had; he wasn't—kids when elected, he was never elected Vice President. This is a game changer!

Okay, so now I'm questioning myself. Did LBJ have eight kids? I don't think so. [spoken rapidly] C, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, final answer."
Spoiler
He's right for $50,000.

$100,000 question: According to the latest World Bank statistics, in which country do women live an average of 11.6 years longer than men, the widest known disparity of any nation?
A. Russia B. Japan C. Mexico D. Italy

Lincoln thought that although Japan has the highest life expectancy, perhaps the longest-lived people were mostly women, and with no lifelines and nothing to lose, he locked in Japan as his final answer.
Spoiler
It was Russia, and Lincoln left with $50,000.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Spoiler
The number nine given seems problematic. Per wikipedia Bush had 6, and Reagan had 5, so the number could be as high as 11. They both had a daughter die young, so if it says "had 9 living children at the time of election", it seems undeniably correct. "Had" could be read in different ways, meaning they currently had 9 children in 1980 or in their lifetimes they "had" 11 children, meaning fathered. Complicating matters further is that one of Reagan's sons was adopted. (Assuming of course everything I read on wikipedia is correct. :mrgreen: ) Presumaby they were counting the adopted Michael Reagan but were not counting the deceased Christine Reagan or Robin Bush, to arrive at 9. Trump/Pence actually have 8, lucky for Lincoln he was missing a few there or it might have been too close to gamble.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Spoiler
Knew the $100k question about the country I was born in, but think it was surprisingly easy to reason through either way. The $50k one was absolutely lousy, as jeff accurately explained.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 4/25 show has another J! alum (and J! Board member) Emily Rollman: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10197

Not matter what happens she won't finish in the red as Matt Jackson is not in her way this time. Small spoiler for today's episode:
Spoiler
Emily has already exceeded the 4R she had on J!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The questions that matter on the 4/26 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Emily Rollman returning to see the $10,000 question
Next:
Spoiler
She used her 50:50 and it left B & C.
Next:
Spoiler
Emily locked in C: 100,000 megabytes as her final answer.
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Emily recalled that Ben Affleck made Gone Baby Gone and knew to associate him with Boston.
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Emily used her last lifeline ATA and it gave her 62% for Booker T. Washington and 24% for George Washington Carver.  She had already told the audience she knew it was not A or C.
Next:
Spoiler
Emily and the Audience were correct with Booker T. Washington.
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Emily did not know it, did not want to guess and walked with $30,000.  Chris had her guess for fun and she picked English muffin.  It was (Sam) German chocolate cake.  I had no idea on the question, but if I had ranked my preferences I would have had the right answer last.  Tough one compared to what I thought was a gift gimme for $30,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The J! alumni game continued with Nicholas Berube: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9628 who made it through the first five questions, so he'll return tomorrow to see the 7K Q with all lifelines available.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 pm The 4/25 show has another J! alum (and J! Board member) Emily Rollman: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10197

Not matter what happens she won't finish in the red as Matt Jackson is not in her way this time. Small spoiler for today's episode:
Spoiler
Emily has already exceeded the 4R she had on J!
Definitely late to this news, but I am warmed by the evidence that someone else who tried out 4 times in person for J! eventually made it on the show:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 36489.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:33 pm The questions that matter on the 4/26 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Emily Rollman returning to see the $10,000 question
Got all of those with no lifelines. I really need to get another chance to get on there.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got
Spoiler
German chocolate cake
before the answers appeared.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

acthomas wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm
Definitely late to this news, but I am warmed by the evidence that someone else who tried out 4 times in person for J! eventually made it on the show:

Took me four tries to get on the show; I heard they used me for a while as an example of how you shouldn't give up if you don't make it the first time.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

leszekp wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 pm
acthomas wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Took me four tries to get on the show; I heard they used me for a while as an example of how you shouldn't give up if you don't make it the first time.

I passed the test more than 30 times
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 4/27 ep. in video form as a picture summary is not enough for all of the thinking out loud and way of processing the questions and answers:
Spoiler
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
Seems like he could've talked/logic'd himself into the right answer in another minute or two, but the weight of risking 25k was just too great. Damn. I definitely would've needed a +1/ATA for the deaths question, but I knew the time zones cold.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

So a crazy thing happened to me today.
This morning, I played a Sprocle Quiz called Women in the 19th Century. One of the clues mentioned "Inventor of the dishwasher".
The answer being Josephine Cochrane.
When I saw the first question on today's episode, my jaw was wider than anyone could imagine. :o
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A player introduced as having nine trivia trophies got out on the $5,000 question today.

Curly leaf and Italian (a.k.a. flat leaf) are two main varieties of what herb used to garnish dishes?
A. Parsley B. Cilantro C. Chives D. Basil
Spoiler
Keith Moser said he thought basil before the answers appeared, and had a story about a basil plant that he and his girlfriend had for a couple of weeks until it died. He also said, "Parsley's not Italian," and eventually locked in D, basil. It was parsley, and Keith left empty-handed.
edit: I just found a post he made on Instagram; Dan Avila was his Plus One.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 pm A player introduced as having nine trivia trophies got out on the $5,000 question today.

Curly leaf and Italian (a.k.a. flat leaf) are two main varieties of what herb used to garnish dishes?
Spoiler
I mean...they told you it's used as a garnish. You shouldn't overthink the $5k question. That's tough. Also, you probably shouldn't flaunt trivia trophies. That's just begging karma to come get you.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 pm A player introduced as having nine trivia trophies got out on the $5,000 question today.

Spoiler
Keith Moser said he thought basil before the answers appeared, and had a story about a basil plant that he and his girlfriend had for a couple of weeks until it died. He also said, "Parsley's not Italian," and eventually locked in D, basil. It was parsley, and Keith left empty-handed.
edit: I just found a post he made on Instagram; Dan Avila was his Plus One.
He got those trophies at my trivia nights. Some were for best team name
Total game show career losings = $171,522