Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7753, 2018-05-02

Josh Hill game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Laura Buermann, a quality assurance analyst from Essex Junction, Vermont
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas
Geoff Brousseau, an epidemiologist from Centennial, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I admire the way Johnny makes $7,599 sound like a big, big win. It's way below our average for winners on Jeopardy!. We had a glitch yesterday in Final Jeopardy!. None of the players came up with the correct response. I hope that does not happen today with our newcomers, Laura and Josh. Welcome. Good luck. Let's go to work. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I REMEMBER APRIL (5/5)
SURPRISING MUSICIANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MIDDLE T (5/5)
NEWER TECHNOLOGY (4/5)
YOUR HUDDLED MASSES (5/5)
YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 13 R, 1 W
Geoff: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Laura: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Geoff found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Geoff had $1,200, Josh had $1,000, and Laura was at $600. Geoff made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

SURPRISING MUSICIANS $800: A church organist, this Frenchman made symbols to help blind musicians read & write music

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Josh: $3,600
Geoff: $2,400
Laura: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Laura Buermann is from Essex Junction, Vermont. Earlier this year, we had the winter Olympics. And I enjoy those Olympics particularly because of the curling competitions.

Laura: Yes.

Alex: Now you were given lessons in curling. How did that happen?

Laura: Well, one of our local--we had a local curling group, and they did a charity event, and it happened that they offered learn-to-curl lessons because they still have the ice set up. And I asked and received them for my birthday.

Alex: And it's a great social activity as well.

Laura: It is.

Alex: Josh Hill is from North Little Rock, Arkansas. They don't do much curling down there.

Josh: No, sir.

Alex: But they do run marathons, and you ran in one. I wanna hear about your experience.

Josh: I did a few years ago. Around mile 21, one of the race officials came up to me and asked what my bib number was. And I told him 555. He radios back to the home base and goes, "Okay, we got 555. He's the last runner on the course." And so I turn around; I see the fire truck, and I see the cops. I see the cars waiting for me to get off the course so they can get by.

Alex: Was there much separation between you and the runners ahead of you?

Josh: I could see one way in the distance about a mile ahead.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Geoff Brousseau is an epidemiologist from Centennial, Colorado. What kind of work exactly do you do now in epidemiology?

Geoff: So it's mostly like a look at disease outbreaks and try and prevent diseases. And I mostly work with healthcare-associated infections.

Alex: There's a lot of bad stuff out there. Keep us safe.

Geoff: Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWER TECHNOLOGY $800: Using satellites, a lab named for this Frenchman good with coordinates made an atlas that updates in real time

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Geoff: $7,000
Josh: $7,000
Laura: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CONTEMPORARY COMPOSERS (4/5)
6-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
FLIPPING CHANNELS (4/5)
ASIAN CAPITALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOUNDLING FATHERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNARMED COMBAT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Laura: 7 R, 0 W
Geoff: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Geoff had $7,400, Josh had $14,200, and Laura was at $7,400. Josh wagered $7,000.

ASIAN CAPITALS $2000: In 1959 this city was designated to replace Karachi as the capital; its construction began 2 years later

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Geoff who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Geoff had $9,400, Josh had $24,400, and Laura was at $9,400. Geoff wagered $6,000.

FOUNDLING FATHERS $1600: When a shepherd found this abandoned son of Laius, king of Thebes, the prophecy was back on

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FLIPPING CHANNELS $1200: On MeTV, it's this Steve McQueen western that shares its title with a Bon Jovi song

CONTEMPORARY COMPOSERS $2000: This Finnish maestro composed "L.A. Variations" in 1996 when he was music director of the L.A. Philharmonic
(Geoff: Who is Sibelius?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Josh: $29,600
Geoff: $15,800
Laura: $11,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Josh: Wager $2,001 to cover Geoff, but no more than $6,799 so as not to fall behind Laura's doubled score.
Geoff: You have the hope of surpassing Josh if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $13,801 to force Josh to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Laura.
Laura: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On July 10, 1804 he wrote a letter of goodbye, just in case, to "my dearest Theodosia"; he lived until 1836

FINAL SCORES
Laura: $11,400 - $9,000 = $2,400 (Who is) (2nd place: $2,000)
Geoff: $15,800 - $15,000 = $800 (Who is Lewis) (3rd place: $1,000)
Josh: $29,600 - $6,000 = $23,600 (Who is Lewis?) (New champion: $23,600)
(Alex: [To Josh] No, the clue referred to that great duel between Alexander Hamilton and the correct response, [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Josh: $24,600, 28 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Laura: $11,400, 12 R, 1 W
Geoff: $11,000, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $47,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh: 28/59 = .475
Geoff: 17/60 = .283
Laura: 12/58 = .207
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SURPRISING MUSICIANS $200: His second wife Elsa said he played Mozart beautifully & that playing helped with his theories

MIDDLE T $200: Swine enclosure
(Laura: Oh... sorry.)

SURPRISING MUSICIANS $600: Martin Luther was known to pluck a string or two on this instrument

NEWER TECHNOLOGY $200: Anti-paparazzi clothing over-reflects light & blacks out faces when photographers use this

SURPRISING MUSICIANS $1000: This Virginia senator, who was in the national spotlight in 2016, is an enthusiastic harmonica player

YOUR HUDDLED MASSES $800: In 2017 he went from running plays for the Cowboys to predicting 'em with uncanny accuracy in the CBS booth with Jim Nantz
(Josh: Who is Aikman?)

NEWER TECHNOLOGY $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates a whirligig.) On a button whirligig, spinning the disc stores potential energy in the strings; pulling on the strings turns that energy into the kinetic type--inventors were able to use this concept to make an inexpensive type of this spinning medical device

NEWER TECHNOLOGY $600: This type of device can give you home theater sound without multiple speakers

6-LETTER WORDS $800: It's the provider of nourishment seen here

UNARMED COMBAT $800: Brazilian jiujitsu master Royce Gracie won 3 of the first 4 of these events; they're up to 220 now
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Louis) Braille
René Descartes
Islamabad
Oedipus
Wanted Dead or Alive
Esa-Pekka Salonen
Aaron Burr
Albert Einstein
a sty
a lute
a flash
(Tim) Kaine
(Tony) Romo
a centrifuge
a sound bar
carhop
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On July 10, 1804 he wrote a letter of goodbye, just in case, to “My Dearest Theodosia”; he lived until 1836

Geoff Brousseau: 15800-15000=800
Josh Hill: 29600-6000=23600 (New Champ)
Laura Buermann: 11400-9000=2400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Aaron Burr (Geoff – Lewis) (Josh – Lewis) Laura – Who is)

Daily Doubles
Geoff: 1200+1200
Josh: 14200+7000
Geoff: 9400+6000

Coryats
Geoff: 11000
Josh: 24600
Laura: 11400

Combined: 47,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Geoff: 7000
Josh: 7000
Laura: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The first segment had all of the categories sampled for a taste of everything.

I missed the run in YOUR HUDDLED MASSES with a double miss. Not only did I have the wrong idea, but I had the wrong thing as well when I said red letter when I was thinking red shirt. Plus I had the advantage of him all over the news last week. My bad. And time will tell if it’s the Browns bad also.

If Geoff had farmed DD3 he would have had 19200 for the FJ! round. Doubled that is 38400. Josh had 29600. To cover 38400 that’s 8801. Take away 8801 from 29600 and that’s 20799. Josh still wins.

That’s the scenario I would go with if I was Geoff. On the other hand Josh bet a pretty 6000 to possibly go to 35600, well above the needed 31600. That could make Geoff play the “what if” game for his wager on the last DD.

I solved the FJ! clue off the year without the L & C detour the gentlemen had. The musical Hamilton did not help the players and had no part in my getting it. Theodosia was slightly familiar after I was done writing, but not enough to aid me. Josh was in a nice position for a triple miss.

The Archive has these previous hits for Theodosia:
Spoiler

#7624, aired 2017-11-02 WHERE'D YOU DISAPPEAR TO? $2000: Theodosia, daughter of this ex-vice president, was on a ship that disappeared off the coast of Cape Hatteras in 1813

#5256, aired 2007-06-18 YOU'VE NEVER LOOKED LOVELIER $1000: Theodosia, the daughter of this third U.S. vice president, was a beautiful child prodigy who spoke 4 languages

#3662, aired 2000-07-04 HISTORICAL NOVELS $200: "My Theodosia" is the story of this man's daughter, Theodosia Burr Alston, believed to be lost at sea in 1813

#3265, aired 1998-11-13 WASHINGTON IRVING & FRIENDS $800: During this duelist's 1807 trial for treason, Irving struck up a friendship with his daughter, Theodosia

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#4544, aired 2004-05-13 AMERICANA: Beginning an American tradition, in 1801 Aaron Burr's daughter Theodosia & her new husband honeymooned here
I hope no one got to the right 1804 event and then picked the wrong guy.

J! can go like that with a high 47,000 combined Coryat, 3/3 on the DDs and then a thud in the FJ! round.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Dear Theodosia, what to say to you? You have my eyes, you have your mother's name...

Yes, this was an instaget :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had it written down before the music started. I was surprised it was a TS.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Wpwells wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 pm Dear Theodosia, what to say to you? You have my eyes, you have your mother's name...

Yes, who are three people who have never listened to the Hamilton cast recording? For people who didn't know the specific reference but figured out that the clue was talking about the duel, the "lived until 1836* part should have told them which participant was being referenced.

Still, impressive game by Josh. It would have been interesting to see Osman and Josh square off.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Many years ago, I read Gore Vidal’s book on Burr, and the name Theodosia stuck in my mind for some reason, which made this an instaget even without the rest of the clue (and I have never heard the Hamilton soundtrack).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:05 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 pm Dear Theodosia, what to say to you? You have my eyes, you have your mother's name...

Yes, who are three people who have never listened to the Hamilton cast recording? For people who didn't know the specific reference but figured out that the clue was talking about the duel, the "lived until 1836* part should have told them which participant was being referenced.

Still, impressive game by Josh. It would have been interesting to see Osman and Josh square off.
I'm one of the three - along with the contestants, apparently. So, I was flailing around for anyone from the early 1800s. 1804 didn't ring any bells either and it didn't occur to me to think about that duel - but I'm not sure if I could have pinned it down within 10 years anyway.

Tickets in hand for Hamilton later this year, however.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

A good amount of easy cash to be had in the bottom row of each round, I thought. I didn't much care for the DJ categories and I still had my best game in a while.

I had a brief detour to John Quincy Adams (setting sail to go to Europe) but came around to the right FJ answer eventually.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd never heard of Theodosia, but 1804 pointed pretty clearly to the duel in question, and 1836 clarified which participant.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:05 pm Yes, who are three people who have never listened to the Hamilton cast recording?
I'm one of the three - along with the contestants, apparently. So, I was flailing around for anyone from the early 1800s. 1804 didn't ring any bells either and it didn't occur to me to think about that duel - but I'm not sure if I could have pinned it down within 10 years anyway.

Tickets in hand for Hamilton later this year, however.
Enjoy--it's really good!

Just to clarify: my assertion is that anyone who missed this response hasn't listened to Hamilton. This is logically equivalent to saying that anyone who has listened to Hamilton would get it right. It doesn't take a position on whether someone who hasn't listened would get it right or how many people haven't listened to it (other than the number being at least three, namely today's contestants).

There are other paths to the correct response, but Hamilton is the most likely in 2018, and other ways of connecting Theodosia to Burr are the next most direct. Even for people who didn't know Theodosia->Burr, guessing that the duel was the topic was a possibility.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Josh and I have several mutual friends in the furry fandom. Congrats on being, by my count, at least the fifth furry game show champ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pmI hope no one got to the right 1804 event and then picked the wrong guy.
Oh, just me, the one guy ALWAYS cursed to pick the wrong one out of only two choices...
BobF

Post by BobF »

I went with Meriweather Lewis. My first thought wasn't the duel, but the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never seen or listened to Hamilton. But I did know what year the duel took place. Mrs. Burr’s name rings a bell, but I wouldn’t have gotten FJ right if it had said “This person had a wife named Theodosia”.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was an excellent board and a good game.

I would have bet all but a few bucks on the Islamabad DD. And Geoff should have done the same on the Oedipus DD.

I got FJ because I knew that 1804 was the year of the duel, but I was wondering how the heck you were supposed to get the clue otherwise. I should have known.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

A key generational bellwether is whether you connect to Aaron Burr through Hamilton, or whether you talk as though you have peanut butter on the roof of your mouth every time you hear his name.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9021amyers wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 pm A key generational bellwether is whether you connect to Aaron Burr through Hamilton, or whether you talk as though you have peanut butter on the roof of your mouth every time you hear his name.
I'll go with C.) Neither.

Always hated that dumb ad because I always hate "laugh at/mock the person who isn't using our product" ads, never mind the hyperbole in that ad.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Went with Meriwether Lewis. Farewell letter to his wife, not knowing if he was coming back, in 1804? I'll go with Lewis and Clark expedition every time.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 pm Went with Meriwether Lewis. Farewell letter to his wife, not knowing if he was coming back, in 1804? I'll go with Lewis and Clark expedition every time.
I'm curious why everybody seems to be going with Lewis and not Clark. (The one thing I do know about Lewis is that he would die in a hotel room several years later which would rule him out.)