Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Re: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by RobW »

mungar wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:20 am Lazy Sunday always helps me remember who won the duel. "You can call me Aaron Burr by the way I'm dropping Hamiltons". Instaget FJ.
The "The chronic-WHAT?!?-les of Narnia!"
:lol: You just made my day.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

Today's Jeopardy! Page-a-Day calendar:

Category - Alexander Hamilton

Answer - Hamilton thwarted the ambitions of this longtime enemy several times; Enough was enough on July 11, 1804

A day late for me to get Wednesday's FJ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm going to bet that I am the only person here who knew of the Hamilton/Burr duel but not its outcome.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:57 am I was also disappointed that I couldn't pull Salonen's name when I needed it.
That was a rough miss for Geoff. Finnish + classical music is pavlovian for Sibelius. But only if it's a Finnish COMPOSER. If it's a conductor, Salonen's your man. (And if they want a Finnish architect, it's always Saarinen) At least we don't have to keep track of any Finnish pianists or violinists or tenors or anything.
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

I don't know why, but I can never remember who won the famous duel between Hamilton and Burr (maybe it'd help if I saw the musical, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon). Luckily, I managed to get FJ right after I convinced myself that I've heard the name Theodosia somewhere in relation to Aaron Burr, though I can't say for certain where I've heard it before.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I have never seen or heard much of the music of Hamilton, but I did read Ron Chernow's Hamilton biography last year, and the name Theodosia is a memorable one, so an instaget FJ for me. Because of this, Lewis and Clark never occurred to me, but in hindsight a very reasonable miss. Good game all around.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:57 am I was also disappointed that I couldn't pull Salonen's name when I needed it.
That was a rough miss for Geoff. Finnish + classical music is pavlovian for Sibelius. But only if it's a Finnish COMPOSER. If it's a conductor, Salonen's your man. (And if they want a Finnish architect, it's always Saarinen) At least we don't have to keep track of any Finnish pianists or violinists or tenors or anything.
Sibelius did conduct, according to Grove Music Online. (Though I'm not sure if he conducted work other than his own.) And Salonen composes. That was the category. It was "contemporary" that should have steered Geoff away. Though Sibelius survived to 92, in 1957.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 am A type of martial arts associated with a nationality when spotted "Muay" was one of the most ridiculous $2000 clues I've seen in a long time, and probably easier than the $400 clue ("uppercut") in the same category. I appreciate the category, but it's obvious none of the writers have ever done any combat sports or are fans of them.
Exceptionally easy if you know anything about martial arts or fighting competitions in general, but I have a feeling this is going to be something like sports or opera: lots of people who really don't know even the basics. Still an easy $2,000 for someone who does, and the odds at least one of the three would know it was high.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

clt013 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:00 am Today's Jeopardy! Page-a-Day calendar:

Category - Alexander Hamilton

Answer - Hamilton thwarted the ambitions of this longtime enemy several times; Enough was enough on July 11, 1804

A day late for me to get Wednesday's FJ...
...wondered if anyone else noticed this. Must be a truly fluky coincidence, since the calendar was printed long ago and (as they assure us) clues are selected for one game and not another by some random process. Still, a strange coincidence.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 am A type of martial arts associated with a nationality when spotted "Muay" was one of the most ridiculous $2000 clues I've seen in a long time, and probably easier than the $400 clue ("uppercut") in the same category. I appreciate the category, but it's obvious none of the writers have ever done any combat sports or are fans of them.
Exceptionally easy if you know anything about martial arts or fighting competitions in general, but I have a feeling this is going to be something like sports or opera: lots of people who really don't know even the basics. Still an easy $2,000 for someone who does, and the odds at least one of the three would know it was high.
I'd say it was easier than krag maga. I've heard of them both, have no interest in martial arts, but the nationality hint (and half the name!) made it easier to remember in a second.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:39 am
I'd say it was easier than krag maga. I've heard of them both, have no interest in martial arts, but the nationality hint (and half the name!) made it easier to remember in a second.
Krav Maga. For me, Krav Maga was the easier as I'd never heard of Muay Thai.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 am
Exact opposite for me.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I noted the J! page-a-day calendar coincidence too. Funny.

My knowledge of Krav Maga comes entirely from How I Met Your Mother. As it happens, it was just enough to get that clue. :mrgreen:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Woof wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 am
dittos :)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Another "Lewis" answer for FJ here. I think I assume that because his name is always said first, he's more important and therefore more likely to be the clue.

Really impressed with Josh on this show. Of course, I was really impressed by Geoff the day before, and by Osman the day before that. Three champs in a row that dominated, the first two of which faltered on their second show.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm A good amount of easy cash to be had in the bottom row of each round, I thought. I didn't much care for the DJ categories and I still had my best game in a while.

I had a brief detour to John Quincy Adams (setting sail to go to Europe) but came around to the right FJ answer eventually.
No exposure to songs from "Hamilton" and Theodosia led to a blank look. My WAG was based on someone who became a colonel right around the turn of the 19th century but didn't die for another few decades -- my thought was "Did he go off to battle in some obscure action and leave a note just in case?"

Nope, Andrew Jackson didn't have to fight until the early 18-teens. And died in 1845. Neither of which I knew until I looked it up. After missing the FJ with his name.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Knew Lewis died young. Picked Clark. Thought I was so clever. Oh well.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 am
Sibelius did conduct, according to Grove Music Online. (Though I'm not sure if he conducted work other than his own.) And Salonen composes. That was the category. It was "contemporary" that should have steered Geoff away. Though Sibelius survived to 92, in 1957.
That's a good point. "Contemporary" definitely renders Sibelius pretty much impossible as an answer. But knowing conductor vs composer is also a completely safe way of getting to the right response. Many conductors have also composed a little bit on the side. And many (maybe even most) composers since Beethoven have also conducted. But I don't think you'll ever see a clue referring to Sibelius solely as a conductor or to Salonen solely as a composer.

The one major crossover I can think of is Leonard Bernstein. Be prepared for him to show up as conductor, composer, or both. Igor Stravinsky is an almost crossover. But I doubt they'd ever refer to him solely as a conductor without mentioning the composing.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DavidRosen wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:14 pm Knew Lewis died young. Picked Clark. Thought I was so clever. Oh well.
You were clever! Your incorrect response is clearly superior to that of the two contestants who picked Lewis. :)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 pm
I'm one of the three - along with the contestants, apparently.
I'm another -- sorta. I listened to some of the tunes on Amazon and can't say I get it. Didn't like the slightest bit of what I heard.

No clue on FJ. Guessed Jefferson just to say someone.
I went off on a similar tangent - James Monroe. Knew he died in the 1830s (1831 as it turned out), and since he died on July 4th, a letter dated in the first half of July might be tied to that somehow. The Duel never hit my thought process.