Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6358, 2012-04-18

CONTESTANTS
Dan Adkison, a copy editor from Brooklyn, New York
Eileen McQuiggan, a former teacher and stay-at-home mom from Orlando, Florida
Mary Harris, a knitting store owner from Seattle, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Well, you know, of course, ladies and gentlemen, when you hear our returning champion introduced with a low total like $5,900 that that player didn't get the Final Jeopardy! right on the previous day, but neither did her two opponents. But Mary's back to play again today against Eileen and Dan. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I WANT A GREEN CAR (5/5) (Alex: Not the color green.)
CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE (4/5)
A PREFIXER UPPER (4/5)
NEWSPAPERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE STAFF OF THE DANA CARVEY SHOW (1/1)
CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA (5/5) (Sarah: ...from Lesedi Cultural Village, the rainbow you'd expect from a country with 11 official languages.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 16 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Eileen: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Mary: 3 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mary had $200, Eileen had $600, and Dan was at $2,400. Dan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

NEWSPAPERS $800: Published continuously for military personnel since World War II, it now has about 420,000 daily readers

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $5,600
Eileen: $1,800
Mary: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Scary moment a long, long time ago for Dan Adkison from Brooklyn. He was in Gabon serving with the Peace Corps, and sat down where he shouldn't have.

Dan: I sat on a snake in my house. Uh, a snake got into my couch somehow, behind a piece of fabric. I was sitting down to read a book, and I felt something wiggling behind my neck. I thought, what could that be? So, knowing that there are a lot of snakes around, I took a broom and I lifted up the cloth ever so slightly, and there was a cobra underneath, coiled up, sticking out its tongue. I called my neighbors. They came running in with machetes and got rid of the snake.

Alex: Couldn't you have done that?

Dan: No! [Laughs] I'm scared of snakes.

Alex: Eileen McQuiggan is from Orlando, Florida. Met her husband in a most unusual place.

Eileen: Yes. I was on my--what I call "independent tour"--independence tour, and while I was there, um...

Alex: Where?

Eileen: In Europe.

Alex: Where in Europe?

Eileen: I was in Amsterdam in the red light district.

Alex: Hello!

Eileen: [Laughs] And, uh, my husband was on the tour with his family, and he came up to me and said, "Do you come here often?" [Laughs]

Alex: "Do you..."

Eileen: And that was the beginning of a very long relationship.

Alex: Wait a minute.

[Eileen laughs.]

Alex: You're in the red light district, and your future husband comes up to you and says, "Do you come here often?"

Eileen: Yeah. Yeah. And I still married him. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Mary Harris, Seattle, Washington. Knitting store owner. Are a lot of people still knitting, or is that a thing of the past?

Mary: No, actually, in the last five, ten years, it's really made a big resurgence.

Alex: Really?

Mary: The younger women are knitting a lot. Yeah.

Alex: Okay, so business is good?

Mary: Yeah.

Alex: You own the shop.

Mary: I do. [laughs]

Alex: Okay. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $600: The character of Natty Bumppo in "The Leatherstocking Tales" was based on this frontiersman

A PREFIXER UPPER $1000: "Calli-":
Of this quality
(Mary: What is writing?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $9,800
Eileen: $2,600
Mary: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LION (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NOTABLE WOMEN (3/5)
HOW 'BOUT THEM APPLES? (2/3)
BOOKS ABOUT ROCK STARS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
U.S. RIVERS (5/5)
THE FIRST LETTER IS... (5/5) (Alex: And I'll give you the first letter.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mary: 7 R, 2 W
Eileen: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Mary had $4,600, Eileen had $5,000, and Dan was at $15,400. Dan wagered $5,000.

BOOKS ABOUT ROCK STARS $800: "The Quiet One"
(Dan: Who is Ringo Starr?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Mary had $2,600, Eileen had $2,200, and Dan was at $10,800. Dan wagered $1,000.

THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LION $1200: Carpaccio painted the lion as a symbol of St. Mark, patron of this city where Carpaccio lived
(Alex: Minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOKS ABOUT ROCK STARS $1200: "Tommyland"
(Eileen: Who is...)
(Alex: Oh, darn.)
(Dan: Who is Pete Townshend?)
(Mary: Who is Roger Daltrey?)

BOOKS ABOUT ROCK STARS $1600: "No One Here Gets Out Alive"

BOOKS ABOUT ROCK STARS $2000: From a singer & TV talent judge: "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?"
(Mary: Who is Ozzy Osbourne?)
(Eileen: Who is Paula Abdul?)

NOTABLE WOMEN $800: She joined the Sisters of Notre Dame at age 16; her career as an art expert came later

NOTABLE WOMEN $2000: Sophia Packard & Harriet Giles co-founded what became this Atlanta college for African-American women

THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LION $400: British artist P J Crook painted this slave & his lion friend
(Alex: Oh, that was [*]. [*] pulling the thorn out of the lion's paw.)

THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LION $800: An angel & a lion standing pensively on a bridge in a painting called "Homesickness"--it has to be by this Belgian

THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LION $2000: Around 1621 this Flemish master painted "The Lion Hunt", which is not going so well for the hunters

HOW 'BOUT THEM APPLES? $2000: Developed in the 1950s by Purdue, Rutgers & Illinois breeders, these crisp dessert apples were named for a king of Troy

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $14,600 (lock game)
Mary: $4,200
Eileen: $2,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before Final Jeopardy!, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew thanks the travel sponsor.)
Travel to South Africa for the Clue Crew provided by South African tourism. Rich in both ancient and contemporary history, South African culture can be experienced everywhere, from tribal villages to vibrant cosmopolitan cities. Wherever you go, the warm hospitality of the people will leave you feeling welcome and eager to return. To play more Jeopardy! clues featuring South Africa, and to have a chance to win a trip for two to experience South Africa for yourself, go to southafrica.net.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1920s NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Dan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Mary: Wager $201 to cover Eileen.
Eileen: You have the hope of surpassing Mary for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,800 and $2,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This title guy says, "Do you believe in my innocence, in the fiendishness of my accusers? Reassure me with a hallelujah!"

FINAL SCORES
Eileen: $2,200 + $0 = $2,200 (Who is Elmer Gantry?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mary: $4,200 - $0 = $4,200 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dan: $14,600 - $1,400 = $13,200 (Who is Gatsby?) (New champion: $13,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $18,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mary: $4,200, 10 R, 5 W
Eileen: $2,200, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $24,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 24/61 = .393
Mary: 10/58 = .172
Eileen: 9/58 = .155
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $400: This detective was partly based on Edinburgh surgeon Dr. Joseph Bell
(Eileen: Who is Dr. Watson?)

NEWSPAPERS $200: It's a family affair--Adolph Ochs' great-grandson, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr., became its publisher in 1992
(Mary: What is the Los Angeles Times?)

A PREFIXER UPPER $800: "Dodeca-":
Of this many parts
(Dan: What is 20?)

CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) The Xhosa hymn "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika" evolved into the South African national anthem; "Nkosi" is God, so the title means this
(Mary: Uh, what is... sss... uh, God--)
(Alex: Oh, you took too much time.)

CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) The Khoisan family of languages gave its click sound to some of this southern African group of over 500 languages, including Xhosa

CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) The gumboot dance originated among workers who would communicate & express themselves with the boots they wore in these dank, damp workplaces

CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) A Ndebele village features striking art mainly done by women; the most celebrated is Esther Mahlangu, who was invited to create an art car for this German company

CULTURES OF SOUTH AFRICA $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) The short stabbing spear replacing the long throwing spear was an innovation of this Zulu chief who died in 1828; he also taught how to hook away an enemy's shield, exposing his ribs

I WANT A GREEN CAR $600: It's Chevy's extended range electric vehicle launched in 2010
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

I WANT A GREEN CAR $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew drives a battery electric vehicle from Ford.) The engine isn't the only conservation-friendly component of Ford's BEV; these vital parts are regenerative, meaning when they are used, they convert friction energy back into electricity to charge the car

THE STAFF OF THE DANA CARVEY SHOW $200: The show lasted only 8 episodes despite great talent including Dana, who gained fame as this dude in "Wayne's World"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

HOW 'BOUT THEM APPLES? $1200: Don't "kid" yourself--this apple developed in the 1970s is named for the blush of its skin, not for a film festival
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Stars and Stripes

Daniel Boone
beauty
George Harrison
Venice
Tommy Lee
Jim Morrison
Steven Tyler
Sister Wendy
Spelman College
Androcles
René Magritte
Peter Paul Rubens
King Priam
Elmer Gantry
Sherlock Holmes
The New York Times
God Bless Africa
Bantu
mines
BMW
Shaka
the Volt
the brakes
Garth
Sundance
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

1920s Novels
This title guy says, "Do you believe in my innocence, in the fiendishness of my accusers? Reassure me with a Hallelujah!"
Spoiler
Who is Elmer Gantry? Mary had no guess; Dan said Gatsby.
Dan Adkison: $14,600-$1,400=$13,200...now a 1-day champion with $13,200
Mary Harris: $4,200-$0=$4,200
Eileen McQuiggan: $2,200+$0=$2,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

This one wasn't as hard as I remember it from watching in the studio — it was probably all the clues left on the board that led me to think so. That said, Rock Memoirs is right in my wheelhouse, as are artists (got Magritte and Reubens), and that obviously wasn't the case for the contestants. Those South Africa clues surely had something to do with all the unrevealed Dana Carvey clues (most of us that day had no idea he even had a show). Good gets for Dan in U.S. Rivers, especially Yellowstone (I was leaning toward the Missouri) and the Red River, and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in the Notable Women category (working at Time helped with that one, I'm sure). I was surprised, though, as an editor he missed the Elmer Gantry FJ. Nice guy, though, and great energy. Easy to see why he was picked.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Should've known Christian Science since I picked up a Christian Scientist hymnal a while back. (By the by, their hymns are BORING.)

Those Africa clues were so looooooooooooong that my mind kept wandering away from the clue. How would I know that anthem was God Bless and not God Save? Seems like it could easily be either.

Books About Rock Stars seemed really tough, judging from the stand-and-stares and oh yeah, the utter lack of anything remotely resembling a TOM. Also, I had never heard of Tommy Lee before. I was with the contestants with Tommy on that clue, but couldn't remember which musical act was associated with that.

I wouldn't have gotten Elmer Gantry if you had spotted me "Elmer Gantr_".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I wouldn't have gotten Elmer Gantry if you had spotted me "Elmer Gantr_".
I'd've got it with that much, but off the clue? Never.

And who the heck is Sister Wendy?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:And who the heck is Sister Wendy?
I found a picture of her. Seems more flattering than the picture they showed:

ETA: Where'd my image go?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Congrats to Jay Bilas on the win, but you look better clean shaven.

I actually liked this FJ - you can certainly REASON it out, though I'll grant it is much better known as a movie. I bet it was still "Elmer Gantry" in 2009, too.

I thought the rock bios were pretty brutal myself - I think there needed to something more than just the titles for them. "Tommyland," for example, could be Tommy Lee, or Tom Petty, or a member of The Who. Just a do a simple reference - "He wrote 'Scar Tissue' and he sang it, too, with his band the Red Hot Chili Peppers." Etc. Must have been a time crunch with the writing since between that and the Prefix category they used about 25 words.

Both the South Africa and the Green Car categories were surprisingly manageable, though I have to confess I thought we'd get assegai on that $1000 clue.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

These unfinished boards are irritating. Too many video clues in the J round, too many triple stumpers in the DJ round.

Never heard of Sister Wendy. Don't know Elmer Gantry, either.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I wouldn't have gotten Elmer Gantry if you had spotted me "Elmer Gantr_".

She's the famous painting nun. Had a PBS show I think? Well, sorta famous, apparently.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Agreed those rock memoirs were slim on TOMs, but No One Here Gets Out Alive is a Doors lyric, and George Harrison was known as the Quiet Beatle. I'll give you that Tommyland and the Steven Tyler one were tough. The TOM in Elmer Gantry is the bit about the preacher (the wording escapes me now) as the novel is an indictment of fundamentalism.
Last edited by heisman65 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

heisman65 wrote:and George Harrison was known as the Quiet Beatle.
Did anything in the clue say Beatle though? I thought it just said The Quiet One.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

No, nothing about Beatles in the clue. Not a tough board but those S. Africa clues seemed Dr. Oz-ish. It really dullens the show. I got Elmer Gantry although I've never read the book. I assume this is another one day champ streak...

Sister Wendy was featured on 60 Minutes. I haven't seen her show in yrs but she was erudite & quite interesting. I thought of her while walking around Italy's museum 2 weeks ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:

She's an art expert.

I also had Gatsby on FJ just to have someone from a 1920s novel.

Alex gives the one minute warning, with seven clues left and he has a fairly solid lock. So why did he keep going for the higher valued clues? I'll forgive him for finishing the art category, but he goes to the bottom of apples? Why give someone a c hance to get back in the game?

Oh, and what was up with the ladies' FJ wagers? The scores were $4,200/$2,000. So third place doesn't bet anything? Did you not even want to try for that extra grand. And why didn't second bet $201 to cover her.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Oh, and what was up with the ladies' FJ wagers? The scores were $4,200/$2,000. So third place doesn't bet anything? Did you not even want to try for that extra grand. And why didn't second bet $201 to cover her.
I had the same thought you did, and I'm guessing that they were both just so disappointing and/or depressed with the way the game went that they just didn't want to bother risking anything. By the way, second doesn't need to bet $201 to cover, as betting $200 leaves the possibility of a tie, in which case both players get second place money, right? Why not try to sneak an extra $1,000 out of Sony's wallet on your way out the door and help out the player next to you if you have the chance?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Austin Powers wrote:Congrats to Jay Bilas on the win, but you look better clean shaven.
Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who made that association. The resemblance is a bit uncanny.

How exactly did Eileen get credit for her answer of "Corazon" in the Notable Women category for the clue asking about Corazon Aquino? I recall the clue not asking for simply her first name (merely referencing that it means "heart" in Spanish) and I didn't realize first names were suddenly okay these days.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alamble wrote:How exactly did Eileen get credit for her answer of "Corazon" in the Notable Women category for the clue asking about Corazon Aquino? I recall the clue not asking for simply her first name (merely referencing that it means "heart" in Spanish) and I didn't realize first names were suddenly okay these days.
Was wondering that myself.
Got FJ from some subtle nether-fact floating around in my gray matter. Sounded right, proved right. Yay, one in a row.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

alamble wrote: How exactly did Eileen get credit for her answer of "Corazon" in the Notable Women category for the clue asking about Corazon Aquino? I recall the clue not asking for simply her first name (merely referencing that it means "heart" in Spanish) and I didn't realize first names were suddenly okay these days.
Yep, just came in here to see if anyone had addressed that. Very surprising.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

And Cobain comes up as a correct response today(DJ! $400 Rock Star Books), after being an incorrect one yesterday
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Sister Wendy got me interested in art when I watched her Story of Painting series on DVD eight or nine years ago. The book of the same name is a very nice volume, though her engaging personality doesn't come through quite as well in print. Thanks in part to Sister Wendy, art is now a reasonably strong J! category for me.