Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am Since I know there's quite a few fans here ... today's New York Times crossword puzzle was written by Weird Al Yankovic. If someone wants a copy, let me know.
The NY Times has made today's puzzle free to download.

PDF: https://www.nytimes.com/svc/crosswords/ ... pr0418.pdf

Spoilers for yesterday's puzzle, as you might expect.
mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mujason »

And I wrote Monday's puzzle!
-Jason
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mujason wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 pm And I wrote Monday's puzzle!
Awesome! :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mujason wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 pm And I wrote Monday's puzzle!
Damn, I'm jealous. I really need to do that. That was a relatively hard Monday; it took me 4:06 vs. my usual 3:30.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This picture was in the USA Today and they have won the Masters seven times between them. No big news today that they played a practice round on Tuesday. If the count goes to 8 after Sunday that will be huge news.

I'm not clever enough to play the meme game with the image.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 pm This picture was in the USA Today and they have won the Masters seven times between them. No big news today that they played a practice round on Tuesday. If the count goes to 8 after Sunday that will be huge news.

I'm not clever enough to play the meme game with the image.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I like to watch some TV shows with the closed captions on and it's fun to catch humorous errors.

NBC's Taken
Spoiler
Bryan Mills (good guy) wanted onlookers to think the lady (villainess) had had too much to drink when he had actually performed a choke hold to make her pass out. The captioner thought Illinois was a wild place?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bloody hell, I feel like I just won the freaking lottery.

I finally decided to see -exactly- where my Progressive Field seats are next Tue+Wed (I'm flying to Cleveland to watch the Cubs play amongst other things). They're -under- the second level. I won't be rained on during gameplay. SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
clprez

Post by clprez »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm Bloody hell, I feel like I just won the freaking lottery.

I finally decided to see -exactly- where my Progressive Field seats are next Tue+Wed (I'm flying to Cleveland to watch the Cubs play amongst other things). They're -under- the second level. I won't be rained on during gameplay. SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Why are you worried that it will rain at a baseball game?. It is possible, but if it rains too hard they'll delay or call the game.

When I went to a Tiger's game last year, I saw that my seat was under the second level and I hoped they'd be in the shade. Admittedly that was in August and not April.

Hope your cubbies do well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Congratulations to Todd Gross for another NYT crossword puzzle. The 4/19 puzzle is on the easy side of how things go on a Thursday for most of the fills and a fun solve.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

clprez wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:40 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm Bloody hell, I feel like I just won the freaking lottery.

Why are you worried that it will rain at a baseball game?. It is possible, but if it rains too hard they'll delay or call the game.

When I went to a Tiger's game last year, I saw that my seat was under the second level and I hoped they'd be in the shade. Admittedly that was in August and not April.

Hope your cubbies do well.
I really didn't want to sit in my poncho for any extended period. It. does. not. breathe. I honestly don't know how other people do it.

Also, while even light rain can delay a start, it has to be pouring waterfalls during the game for it to be delayed or called. Angels at Royals earlier this week was played in the -snow.-

As far as results, I'm good with one win. I'm easy to please. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm Also, while even light rain can delay a start, it has to be pouring waterfalls during the game for it to be delayed or called. Angels at Royals earlier this week was played in the -snow.-
I was at that game. It was not pleasant. We started with a continuous mist that never became rain. We were wet and miserable by the time it turned into snow. Half of my group left before the seventh inning, causing the Royals to lose 5-3. Still, it was fun yelling, "Go back to Los Angeles of Anaheim!"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finished another box of Wheaties:
Spoiler
I see CP4XF-KTLHL-33C7
Spoiler
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 pm This is a first come, first serve type of thing as it won't work for the 2nd person. I finished a box of Wheaties and there is an offer of 3 free Jordan Spieth Titleist golf balls with purchase of 4 specially marked boxes. Jumping through the registration hoops and the marketing annoyances that go with it are not of interest to me. Not to mention the product itself.

In case anyone does care this is my code up for grabs:

Registration is at: wheaties.com/golfballs

The offer goes through the end of May, so I'm sure I'll go through a few more boxes of the cereal before then to have more codes to share.

Out of curiosity I checked eBay and sure enough there are sellers looking for buyers of one single ball or the set of three.
Finished another box: Image
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Uh oh ... we got Opus mad ...

Killerpenguin.png
Killerpenguin.png (180.45 KiB) Viewed 5150 times
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Actually, it probably was Alex Ovechkin that got Opus mad. . .
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am Uh oh ... we got Opus mad ...

That's an impostor!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 am
Volante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm Also, while even light rain can delay a start, it has to be pouring waterfalls during the game for it to be delayed or called. Angels at Royals earlier this week was played in the -snow.-
I was at that game. It was not pleasant. We started with a continuous mist that never became rain. We were wet and miserable by the time it turned into snow. Half of my group left before the seventh inning, causing the Royals to lose 5-3. Still, it was fun yelling, "Go back to Los Angeles of Anaheim!"
When a penguin is uncomfortable in the snow, you know it has to be bad!
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For fans of National Anthems: This was an article in The San Francisco Chronicle:
Spoiler

By Steve Rubenstein May 4, 2018 Updated: May 4, 2018 3:52pm

The Chronicle picks 10 countries, at random! And 12-year-old Yathaarth Murthy sings them, instantly. Yathaarth has memorized all 250 of the world’s national anthems. He likes the Star Spangled Banner, bombs and all.

Media: SFChronicle
“The Star-Spangled Banner” is pretty memorable, as national anthems go. So are the national anthems of Sierra Leone, Uganda and the Solomon Islands.

They’re all memorable. Such is the view of the 12-year-old boy who’s done the memorizing.

Yathaarth, from Bangalore, India, was in San Francisco the other day, giving demonstrations. To stand before young Yathaarth and call out a country at random — St. Lucia, say — and hear him immediately belt out “Sons and Daughters of St. Lucia” is to be in the presence of greatness.

“Blessed be the Land of Zimbabwe,” Yathaarth sang, sweetly.

Yathaarth likes “The Star-Spangled Banner,” even though it talks about bombs and rockets and other things that blow people up, which he doesn’t endorse.

“It’s a motivational anthem,” he said. “It tells a story. It gives you goose bumps.”

Standing inches away and beaming as brightly as any rocket’s red glare was Yathaarth’s mom, Shilpa Spoorthy, an architect by profession, who acts as publicist, travel agent and chief cook and bottle washer so that her son need worry his head about nothing but anthems.

If enough people get wind of his rare talent, Yathaarth hopes, the producers of the Ellen DeGeneres TV show may one day return his and his mother’s many calls. Yathaarth’s dream, modest enough for a young man of his gifts, is to appear on DeGeneres’ show.

“She’s really great,” Yathaarth said.

Yathaarth Murthy says it’s his “job” to remember and sing the national anthems of all 250 countries. Photo: Jessica Christian / The Chronicle Photo: Jessica Christian / The Chronicle Yathaarth Murthy says it’s his “job” to remember and sing the national anthems of all 250 countries.
When he isn’t memorizing anthems, which isn’t often, Yathaarth appears to be a normal seventh-grader, passionate about video games, cycling and cricket. But it’s a constant struggle, he said. There isn’t much time for cricket with 250 anthems to keep cycling through the jukebox of his mind. And new countries are always coming along, like South Sudan did a few years ago, to keep an anthemologist on his toes.

“Everything comes with pressure,” he said. “If there is no pressure, there is no success.”

Two years ago, during one demonstration, he forgot the third line of the Chinese national anthem. That never happened before, and Yathaarth vowed it would never happen again, and it hasn’t, because if it did he might just as well forget about getting a callback from the DeGeneres people.

Yathaarth started memorizing anthems four years ago. After his school music teacher taught him his first four anthems and then confessed that those were all he knew, Yathaarth turned to the Internet, where all knowledge resides. It’s been a journey of discovery, and among the things that Yathaarth has discovered is that the Greek anthem has 152 verses, the Argentine anthem takes 27 minutes to sing, and the Macedonian anthem cannot legally be sung after 6 p.m.

“I don’t know what happens if you sing it after 6 p.m.,” he said. “I don’t want to find out.”

“I have to remember it,” he said. “That’s my job. It wouldn’t be right to forget.”
The article's link has some photos: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 889166.php

Steve Rubenstein is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: srubenstein@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @SteveRubeSF
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 pm For fans of National Anthems: This was an article in The San Francisco Chronicle:
Thanks for this, Mark! (You do know how to get my attention!). I will say he’s not the first I heard of that has done this, I came across this video almost ten years ago (and this more recent follow up article while searching for a link of the video to share (because I just had a copy of the video in my collection of literally hundreds of anthem videos, so it wasn’t easily shareable).

If anyone here is wondering, no 12 year old dhkendall wasn’t quite like that. I was still a huge geography nerd, could tell you the capital city or flag of any country, and could find it on a map, but interestingly anthems hadn’t crossed my radar yet (although I knew a couple (besides Canada in both languages and the US my first was Norway that my Norwegian grandmother taught me as a kid and I always liked to play anthems for practice when I took piano lessons)

My anthems “origin story” as it was came from around the time the Berlin Wall fell and the Soviet Union was disintegrating, around the age of 18. My dad got me a software program (either PC Globe or Maps n Facts, I had both around then) which had all the country data I liked as well as tinny MIDI renditions of anthems. I hadn’t heard most of them so I was pleased. However, there were many new countries at the time they didn’t have anthems for so I was curious what they sounded like. I did research and wrote embassies to find out. I also had an account on a little thing called the Internet back then, but it was small and not that much anthem information was there. I knew more than the Internet at that point. So I started what became nationalanthems.info to be a repository of what I knew and the rest is history.
It’s been a journey of discovery, and among the things that Yathaarth has discovered is that the Greek anthem has 152 verses, the Argentine anthem takes 27 minutes to sing, and the Macedonian anthem cannot legally be sung after 6 p.m.

“I don’t know what happens if you sing it after 6 p.m.,” he said. “I don’t want to find out.”
This might be why he hasn’t got the Ellen call yet as these aren’t quite true. The Greek factoid is one of those trivia items that is commonly bandied about, but wrong (like “The Great Wall of China is the only man made structure to be seen from space”). The *poem* it’s based on has 158 verses but only the first two stanzas are the anthem. (Similar to Canada which officially has just the first verse of a four stanza poem. (Which is why you’ll also hear the factoid from conservative groups here about how we don’t sing the last. pro-religion verse anymore. The last verse never was the anthem.)) This is also the case with Argentina, it doesn’t take 27 minutes to sing; of the 24 versions of the Argentine anthem in my collection, the longest is five minutes one second. Before 1900 the Argentine used all nine original verses, but since then only the first two are official. (But if you multiply five minutes by 4.5 (nine divided by two) you get around 27 minutes). Five minutes is still long (though I have versions as short as one minute) because Argentina has what i term a Latin American epic anthem that tend to illustrate the country’s entire history and go on for some time, with sweeping orchestral scores.

(By the way the situation with the US anthem is slightly different than Greece, Canada, or Argentina. As you are probably aware the US anthem has four verses but you rarely if ever hear the other three. But all four are official, just the other three are rarely performed.)

The Macedonian fact I’ve never heard so I’m not discounting it but considering his “facts” are 0 for 2 at this point I’m not putting faith in its veracity, I have to look it up.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's a country music singer named Jon Pardi. Twice I've suggested to his team that he should get Johnny Gilbert to open all of his concerts with "This! Is! Jon Pardi!" but so far I haven't heard back.