5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How many times have you seen Casablanca? (Answer TWO different parts, please!)

Never
34
27%
Parts of it, maybe
15
12%
Once
24
19%
A Few Times
33
26%
Enough to Have Most of the Dialogue Memorized
19
15%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm under 25
5
4%
I've SEEN it and I'm under 25
1
1%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm 25-40
20
16%
I've SEEN it and I'm 25-40
26
21%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm 41-60
18
14%
I've SEEN it and I'm 41-60
40
32%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm over 60
1
1%
I've SEEN it and I'm over 60
10
8%
 
Total votes: 125

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2299
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by StevenH » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

Interestingly, a few years back, someone on another message board I read mentioned this article by Umberto Eco that discusses the film's popularity: http://umbertoecoreaders.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by trainman » Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 pm

43, and I've seen it 3 or 4 times.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7092
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 am

StevenH wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm
I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

Interestingly, a few years back, someone on another message board I read mentioned this article by Umberto Eco that discusses the film's popularity: http://umbertoecoreaders.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1
I love that essay. Well worth reading.

I'm 52 and I've seen it at least 5 times--most recently with our daughter last year when she was 21. She enjoyed it. It really does hold up.

I'll second (or third or fourth) recommendations for The Maltese Falcon as well.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by BobF » Sat May 05, 2018 7:54 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 am
StevenH wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm
I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

Interestingly, a few years back, someone on another message board I read mentioned this article by Umberto Eco that discusses the film's popularity: http://umbertoecoreaders.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1
I love that essay. Well worth reading.

I'm 52 and I've seen it at least 5 times--most recently with our daughter last year when she was 21. She enjoyed it. It really does hold up.

I'll second (or third or fourth) recommendations for The Maltese Falcon as well.
Not only are we the same age, but we have offspring the same age as well. Though, I'm probably months older than you because the next birthday is on the horizon.

And I agree about Maltese Falcon. Also agree with StevenH, I find myself watching fewer movies these days. I think the short attention span in my case has more to do with other things that need to be done.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8774
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by dhkendall » Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 pm

You mean there's a whole movie *in addition to* the national anthem scene? The things you learn ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10094
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 pm
You mean there's a whole movie *in addition to* the national anthem scene? The things you learn ...
I put a national anthems article in the Reretaken Down thread for you.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by twelvefootboy » Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm

I'm 64 and checked "never seen" it although a couple of scenes are ubiquitous and I have been exposed to many parody versions of the piano playing and mock airport departure scenes. I also claim the Steven H style attention span factor, but mostly I can't enjoy old B&W movies because I find it impossible to identify male actors in particular. I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses. I like the period pieces (they weren't period at the time) and tried to watch a "77 Sunset Strip episode", and same deal - can't tell the good guys from the bad guys with every jump cut.

My vote is an outlier, and I'm sure Alex's premise was cromulent.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3640
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by davey » Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm
I'm 64 and checked "never seen" it although a couple of scenes are ubiquitous and I have been exposed to many parody versions of the piano playing and mock airport departure scenes. I also claim the Steven H style attention span factor, but mostly I can't enjoy old B&W movies because I find it impossible to identify male actors in particular. I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses. I like the period pieces (they weren't period at the time) and tried to watch a "77 Sunset Strip episode", and same deal - can't tell the good guys from the bad guys with every jump cut.

My vote is an outlier, and I'm sure Alex's premise was cromulent.
Te
There is no "colorized" version of Gone With the Wind. Ii was made and released in color.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by IronNeck » Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 am

Watched Casablanca in my early 20's; probably would have liked it more in my early teens, when I was watching movies the most. I'm 31.

cthulhu
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by cthulhu » Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Middle-aged and I’ve seen it once. Though it was good, not great; in the Bogart oeuvre, I prefer The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Got the FJ correct after a little thought.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by twelvefootboy » Sun May 06, 2018 2:46 pm

davey wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm
I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses.
Te
There is no "colorized" version of Gone With the Wind. Ii was made and released in color.
Thanks for the intel. I remember a lot of hoopla about the airing, and it must have been the 1976 network TV premiere event. The Turner colorization kerfuffle must have come later, after I'd already given up on classic movies. I also have trouble keeping characters straight in regular movies. They all run together like those bad guys in the Matrix. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by Ironhorse » Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by IronNeck » Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by Ironhorse » Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
IIRC it was $12.95 to watch it on demand which may not be the "classical" definition of PPV.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by BobF » Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
if you have a smart TV, you might be able to stream it off of Youtube or something similar.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by The Talking Mime » Sun May 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm 23 and have yet to see the movie in question. I enjoy sampling films deemed all-time classics,but Casablanca has not been one of them so far.
It's been a goal of mine for a while now to try and see all the Best Picture winners and/or the AFI's Top 100, so I'll probably get around to it one day.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by IronNeck » Sun May 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
IIRC it was $12.95 to watch it on demand which may not be the "classical" definition of PPV.
Ah, okay. And yes, that's completely different than PPV.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3640
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by davey » Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
It's available on my system (Verizon) right now for $2.99. You can "buy" it (it'll be available to you as long as you have Verizon) for $14.99. Just about any movie people want to see is available on demand these days. (Cool Runnings is also $2.99!)
Casablanca next airs on TCM May 21 at 10:15 PM ET.
Since we're recommending Bogart pictures, one of my favorites is In a Lonely Place, a dark noir in which Bogie is suspected of murder. (Not currently scheduled on TCM, sadly. It'll be back.)

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by Elijah Baley » Mon May 07, 2018 12:00 pm

davey wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
It's available on my system (Verizon) right now for $2.99. You can "buy" it (it'll be available to you as long as you have Verizon) for $14.99. Just about any movie people want to see is available on demand these days. (Cool Runnings is also $2.99!)
Casablanca next airs on TCM May 21 at 10:15 PM ET.
Since we're recommending Bogart pictures, one of my favorites is In a Lonely Place, a dark noir in which Bogie is suspected of murder. (Not currently scheduled on TCM, sadly. It'll be back.)
I've never heard of that one - hopefully, TCM airs it sometime soon.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1128
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by cinemaniax7 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Casablanca is my favorite film. My eyes well up every time Victor Laszlo orders the house band to play La Marseillaise in defiance of the Nazis who occupy Casablanca. Watch the entire scene here.

Post Reply