TD 378 - K.I.S.S. (Final Results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 378 - K.I.S.S. (Final Results)

Post by Peter the accountant »

TD #378 – K.I.S.S.

I’m probably not as good with trivia as many people here. When playing a TD, I often run across one or two questions where I can’t come up with any answers at all. That can get frustrating and takes some of the fun out of the game. My goal with this TD is to keep it simple. Everyone – even people who aren’t trivia buffs – should be able to recognize 3 or 4 correct responses. I’m sure many of you will be able to come up with more than that.

I’m also going to try one unique rule. I call it Sheep Insurance. Like any other kind of insurance, it costs you something. But when you need the insurance, it comes through for you. For one question in this TD, you may choose to buy Sheep Insurance. Buying the insurance will add two points to your score. However, if your selected answer turns out to be the sheep, the insurance will pay out and reduce your score to zero for that question. The net effect will be scoring 2 on that question. If you want to buy Sheep Insurance, enter the question number you want to insure at the bottom of the response form. If you choose to use your sheep (taking the sheep score for a question instead of answering the question), you may NOT buy sheep insurance for that question.

All of the other typical TD rules apply.
• The goal is to get the lowest score.
• Your score on each question will be the number of entrants with the same answer.
• You may choose to use one drop and one sheep. A drop will give you 0 points for that question. A sheep will give you the points from the most common answer. To use a sheep or a drop, simply enter the word "sheep" or "drop" as your response to the question.
• Wrong answers will score the larger of 10 points or the sheep answer plus 5 points.
• There will be some bonus opportunities, giving you a chance to reduce your score.
• Because this is a K.I.S.S., there is no bonus for answering all questions correctly. I hope everyone will accomplish this feat. As a result, I encourage everyone to choose to drop one question.

Please submit your responses via Google Form here. Responses are due by 10:00 am Pacific time on Tuesday, May 8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Roger, Roger. One of my favorite movies of all time is Airplane! Identify one of these people with first or last name of Roger or Rogers. The answer must include the full name (first and last).

- Film critic with the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 through 2013. Also partnered with the Chicago Tribune film critic, Gene, creating the phrase “Two Thumbs Up”.
- Vaudeville entertainer, silent (and talking) movie actor, syndicated newspaper columnist, radio personality, and general humorist and philosopher. He never met a man he didn’t like.
- Founder and lead singer of “The Who”
- Chief Justice in the Dred Scott decision
- NYC bartender and recent Jeopardy! Champion
- Current NFL Commissioner
- Played James Bond
- His neighborhood was popular with young children
- First man to run a mile in less than 4 minutes.
- Country music singer known for his recording of The Gambler
- Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers
- Swiss tennis player, among the best of all time
- Partnered with Oscar in several well-known Broadway musicals

-----------------------

2. KISS. You can’t have a KISS TD without the band KISS. Name a member of one of these bands. You must include the letter of the band in your response. Each band member will be scored separately. You must give enough information to uniquely identify the band member.
a) The Beach Boys
b) The Beatles
c) Led Zeppelin
d) AC/DC
e) Queen
f) KISS (I had to include them!)
g) Guns N’ Roses
h) U2
i) Pearl Jam
j) Backstreet Boys
k) Paramore
l) Maroon 5
m) One Direction

Bonus: Name up to two additional members of the same band. One point off for each correct answer. No penalty for wrong answers.

-----------------------

3. Animated. Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film to be nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award. But that has nothing to do with this question. Give a 3 or 4 letter word using only the letters in “animated”. (The letter “a” appears twice, so you may use it twice. All other letters may only be used once.) I’ll use the SOWPODS English dictionary (commonly used for Scrabble) to determine if it is really a word.

-----------------------

4. Math. Solve one of these math problems. You must include the letter of the problem you are solving.

a) x+y=14. x*y=48. When x=8, what is the value of x-y?
b) 7 divided by 10
c) Sine squared of x plus the cosine squared of x
d) Find the area in square inches of a right triangle with two sides that are both equal to 4 inches
e) x^2 + 2x – 1 when x=1
f) A bat and a ball cost one dollar and sixteen cents in total. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost in cents?
g) 10^0
h) Square root of 64
i) 1 + 1
j) 2 cubed

Bonus (for minus 2 points): The answers to these problems are the first digits of what irrational number?

-----------------------

5. You get a singleton and you get a singleton and you get a singleton and ... My rough recollection is that there are typically between 40 and 50 entrants in the weekly TD. If this TD follows that pattern, here’s a chance for everyone to get a singleton. Name the capital city and its state’s USPS abbreviation for any of the 50 states in the United States of America. For example, Sacramento, Calif. would be wrong because it doesn’t use the USPS abbreviation. Sacramento, CA is the correct format. (And I just gave one correct answer away! Feel free to use it, if you want.)

-----------------------

6. Shakespeare. One of the best known Shakespeare plays is Romeo and Juliet. Name another Shakespeare play.

Bonus (for minus 2 points): Name one more Shakespeare play that is not Romeo and Juliet.

-----------------------

7. Collective Nouns. Humans are funny. We like to put things into groups. For example, a group of cattle are called a herd of cattle. Here are some collective nouns. Give the animal that gathers into these groups. Some of these have more than one correct answer. Each answer will be scored separately. Please include the collective noun in your answer. So for “herd”, an answer in the correct format would be “herd of cattle”.

• Shrewdness
• Flock
• Murder
• Pod
• School
• Wedge
• Team
• Troop
• Crash
• Zeal

-----------------------

8. One of These Things. Remember the song on Sesame Street that starts with, “One of these things is not like the others”? Here’s the grown-up version. Each of these photos has something that doesn’t belong or is out of place. Choose one photo and describe the item that is different or out of place. There is a letter in the bottom left corner of each photo. You must include that letter in your response. I’ll be as generous as I can in reading your description of the out-of-place item.

-----------------------

9. Music. I have always enjoyed music. I took some piano lessons as a very young child, and started playing an instrument in grade school. Name a woodwind instrument. I’ll score each unique answer separately. If we were using brass instruments, trumpet and piccolo trumpet would be scored separately.

-----------------------

10. TV Pop culture. I’ll give you the name of some actors that worked together on a TV show. Your job is to name the show. Letter not required on this one.

• Robert Young, Jane Wyatt, Billy Gray
• Desi Arnaz, Willian Frawley, Lucille Ball
• Irene Ryan, Max Baer Jr., Buddy Ebsen
• Fred Gwynne, Yvonne De Carlo, Butch Patrick
• Loretta Swit, McLean Stevenson, David Ogden Stiers
• Redd Foxx, Demond Wilson, Pat Morita
• Ted Danson, Shelly Long, John Ratzenberger
• Harry Anderson, Markie Post, Richard Moll
• James Avery, Alfonso Ribeiro, Joseph Marcell
• Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry
• Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Mario Lopez, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen
• Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, Vincent Kartheiser
• Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul

Bonus – Name up to two more shows – one point off for each correct answer.

-----------------------

11. All the President’s Men (and Women). Name a Cabinet Department.
Last edited by Peter the accountant on Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
--Peter
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: TD 378 - K.I.S.S.

Post by RandyG »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm 2. KISS. You can’t have a KISS TD without the band KISS. Name a member of one of these bands. You must include the letter of the band in your response.
a) The Beach Boys
b) The Beatles
c) Led Zeppelin
d) AC/DC
e) Queen
g) Guns N’ Roses
h) U2
i) Pearl Jam
j) Backstreet Boys
k) Paramore
l) Maroon 5
m) One Direction
On this question, is each valid band member considered a separate answer? For example, if I answer (a) Dr. Moe Howard, another player answers (a) Dr. Larry Fine, and still another answers (a) Dr. Curly Howard -- and all are valid -- is that considered three separate answers or are they all grouped together under (a)?
Peter the accountant

RandyG wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm 2. KISS. You can’t have a KISS TD without the band KISS. Name a member of one of these bands. You must include the letter of the band in your response.
On this question, is each valid band member considered a separate answer? For example, if I answer (a) Dr. Moe Howard, another player answers (a) Dr. Larry Fine, and still another answers (a) Dr. Curly Howard -- and all are valid -- is that considered three separate answers or are they all grouped together under (a)?
Excellent question. Larry, Moe, and Curly will be scored separately. And even though Shemp left the band early on, he is a valid answer as well.

Yes, this means there are lot of answers here.
--Peter
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:10 pm
RandyG wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 pm
Excellent question. Larry, Moe, and Curly will be scored separately. And even though Shemp left the band early on, he is a valid answer as well.

Yes, this means there are lot of answers here.
If multiple band members within a band have the same last name, then would J! rules apply? i.e. full name is required? (I'm not sure how you would group them otherwise.) You might want to note upfront in the question and also as a separate clarification that this is the case. Alternatively, you could require full name on all answers.
Peter the accountant

RandyG wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:18 pm If multiple band members within a band have the same last name, then would J! rules apply? i.e. full name is required? (I'm not sure how you would group them otherwise.) You might want to note upfront in the question and also as a separate clarification that this is the case. Alternatively, you could require full name on all answers.
I have edited the question to include these clarifications.
--Peter
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

How will #11 be scored if a cabinet department disappears between now and the time you do the scoring?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Peter the accountant

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 am How will #11 be scored if a cabinet department disappears between now and the time you do the scoring?
I'll handle it by running out my front door, screaming into the black abyss of the night, then curling up in the fetal position under the nearest large rock. :lol: If that happens, the entire game will not be scored and you'll never hear from me again. :shock:

Or maybe if the department existed as of the beginning of the game, that's good enough.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Here's our list of entrants so far. Keep 'em coming. With 24 entries, we haven't used up all of the states yet. Come on and get your singleton!

psgola
clt013
immaf
Peachbox
Rackme32
Gamawire
MarkBarrett
This is Aoba
casketromance
acthomas
Sims
Ironhorse
floridagator
twelvefootboy
Coach P
MattKnowles
1stlvlthinker
threearruda
AFRET CMS
Saturnalia
jbeltz
Tybalteon
Magna
bev nar
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Time for the Friday bump. There's still plenty of time to get your entry in before the Tuesday morning (or noon-ish if you're in the Eastern half of the country) deadline.

We need at least 20 more entries to guarantee a sheep in the state question. Don't let this be the first TD where a singleton is also the sheep! :D
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Boy, it's been a prolific weekend. This is a bump to keep from falling off the front page.
--Peter
clprez

Post by clprez »

I don't see my name in the list of participants. Did you receive my entry?
Peter the accountant

clprez wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm I don't see my name in the list of participants. Did you receive my entry?
The last list of entrants was as of the morning of May 2. Seeing as you entered on May 4, it makes sense that you're not on that list. :D

So let's update it. Here's the current list of entrants.
Spoiler
1stlvlthinker
acthomas
AFRET CMS
ajk
bev nar

casketromance
classicroadster
clprez
clt013
Coach P

floridagator
Gamawire
Got to Choose
immaf
Ironhorse

jbeltz
Kirbstar
Magna
MarkBarrett
MattKnowles

merica
Peachbox
psgola
Rackme32
RockBottom

Saturnalia
sillymoose
Sims
squarekara
This is Aoba

threearruda
twelvefootboy
Tybalteon
Woof
wpwells
If I've done my cipherin' correctly, that's 35. Including clprez. :mrgreen:
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Time for one last bump. Entries cut off at 10 am Pacific time on Tuesday!

OK - the reality is that I've got a couple of appointments around that time and probably will not get to it until noon. So if you're running late, check the form. I'll turn it off when I get the final list of entries.

Good luck to all!
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Re: TD 378 - K.I.S.S. (Closed)

I have officially closed the entries for TD 378. Watch for the first results later this afternoon. Thanks to all for your entries!
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Re: TD 378 - K.I.S.S. (Q1 - Q2 revealed)

Lets get the scoring started. I'm going to drop the original question into a spoiler box to make it easier to review the questions.
Spoiler
1. Roger, Roger. One of my favorite movies of all time is Airplane! Identify one of these people with first or last name of Roger or Rogers. The answer must include the full name (first and last).

- Film critic with the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 through 2013. Also partnered with the Chicago Tribune film critic, Gene, creating the phrase “Two Thumbs Up”.
- Vaudeville entertainer, silent (and talking) movie actor, syndicated newspaper columnist, radio personality, and general humorist and philosopher. He never met a man he didn’t like.
- Founder and lead singer of “The Who”
- Chief Justice in the Dred Scott decision
- NYC bartender and recent Jeopardy! Champion
- Current NFL Commissioner
- Played James Bond
- His neighborhood was popular with young children
- First man to run a mile in less than 4 minutes.
- Country music singer known for his recording of The Gambler
- Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers
- Swiss tennis player, among the best of all time
- Partnered with Oscar in several well-known Broadway musicals
The love for trivia is clearly evident in the responses here, with the 4 minute mile barrier and 19th century USSC history topping the list.

Wrong - 14 points
Guessonguessonguess - Roger Staubach (spent his career with the Dallas Cowboys)

Roger Bannister - 9 points
1stlvlthinker
bev nar
clprez
Coach P
floridagator
ihavejeoprosy
psgola
Rackme32
SenseiCAY

Roger Taney - 6 points
acthomas
jbeltz
Quantum
Vintsanity
wpwells
xxaaaxx

Fred Rogers - 4 points
merica
Peachbox
Saturnalia
Woof

Roger Federer - 4 points
classicroadster
econgator
This is Aoba
Tybalteon

Kenny Rogers - 3 points
clt013
MattKnowles
RockBottom

Richard Rodgers - 3 points
AFRET CMS
immaf
squarekara

Roger Daltrey - 3 points
ajk
casketromance
Ironhorse

Roger Ebert - 3 points
Gamawire
Kirbstar
threearruda

Will Rogers - 3 points
9021amyers
MarkBarrett
twelvefootboy

Aaron Rodgers - 2 points
Got to Choose
sillymoose

Austin Rogers - 1 point
Sims

drop - 0 points
Magna

Unused answers
Roger Goodell (NFL commissioner)
Roger Moore (played James Bond)
--Peter
Peter the accountant

The Fab 4 are still popular more than 40 years after their breakup.
Spoiler
2. KISS. You can’t have a KISS TD without the band KISS. Name a member of one of these bands. You must include the letter of the band in your response. Each band member will be scored separately. You must give enough information to uniquely identify the band member.
a) The Beach Boys
b) The Beatles
c) Led Zeppelin
d) AC/DC
e) Queen
g) Guns N’ Roses
h) U2
i) Pearl Jam
j) Backstreet Boys
k) Paramore
l) Maroon 5
m) One Direction
John Lennon (The Beatles) - 4 points
MattKnowles
Quantum
SenseiCAY
Sims

Ringo Starr (The Beatles) - 4 points
clt013
immaf
psgola
This is Aoba

Louis Tomlinson (One Direction) - 4 points
MarkBarrett
squarekara
threearruda
wpwells

Mike Love (The Beach Boys) - 3 points)
1stlvlthinker
bev nar
Gamawire

Niall Horan (One Direction) - 3 points
Magna
sillymoose
Tybalteon

Al Jardine (The Beach Boys) - 2 points
AFRET CMS
RockBottom

George Harrison (The Beatles) - 2 points
twelvefootboy
xxaaaxx

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) - 2 points
classicroadster
Coach P

David Marks (The Beach Boys) - 1 point
Rackme32

Paul McCartney (The Beatles) - 1 point
floridagator

Angus Young (AC/DC) - 1 point
econgator

Malcom Young (AC/DC) - 1 point
casketromance

Brian May (Queen) - 1 point
acthomas

Roger Taylor (Queen) - 1 point
9021amyers

Eric Singer (KISS) - 1 point
Got to Choose

Gene Simmons (KISS) - 1 point
Kirbstar

Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses) - 1 point
merica

Buckethead (Guns N' Roses) - 1 point
Ironhorse

Duff McKagan (Guns N' Roses) - 1 point
ihavejeoprosy

Adam Clayton (U2) - 1 point
Vintsanity

Boom Gaspar (Pearl Jam) - 1 point
ajk

Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) - 1 point
Woof

AJ Maclean (Backstreet Boys) - 1 point
Saturnalia

Kevin Richardson (Backstreet Boys) - 1 point
Peachbox

Nick Carter (Backstreet Boys) - 1 point
clprez

Hayley Williams (Paramore) - 1 point
Guessonguessonguess

Liam Payne (One Direction) - 1 point
jbeltz

Apparently we have no fans of Led Zeppelin or Maroon 5, as no one picked any members of these bands.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Question 2 Bonus

There's way too many band members to list here, but you all clearly know your band members. There were no drops and everyone got at least one bonus point. There was only one mistake in all of the bonus responses. (Sorry Saturnalia, I can't find any evidence showing Kevin Federline was a member of the Backstreet Boys.)

2 bonus points go to:
9021amyers
AFRET CMS
ajk
bev nar
casketromance
clt013
Coach P
econgator
floridagator
Gamawire
Got to Choose
ihavejeoprosy
immaf
Ironhorse
jbeltz
Kirbstar
Magna
MarkBarrett
MattKnowles
Peachbox
psgola
Quantum
Rackme32
RockBottom
SenseiCAY
sillymoose
Sims
squarekara
This is Aoba
threearruda
twelvefootboy
Tybalteon
Vintsanity
Woof
wpwells
xxaaaxx

1 bonus point to:
1stlvlthinker
acthomas
classicroadster
clprez
Guessonguessonguess
merica
Saturnalia
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Here's the standings after the first 2 questions and a bonus. Thanks to the possibility of a net negative score on Q2 and it's bonus, we've got a whole bunch of low scores here.

1. Got to Choose 1
1. Magna 1
3. 9021amyers 2
3. ajk 2
3. casketromance 2
3. Ironhorse 2
3. Kirbstar 2
8. AFRET CMS 3
8. econgator 3
8. Peachbox 3
8. RockBottom 3
8. sillymoose 3
8. Sims 3
8. twelvefootboy 3
8. Woof 3
16. Gamawire 4
16. merica 4
16. Saturnalia 4
19. classicroadster 5
19. clt013 5
19. immaf 5
19. jbeltz 5
19. MarkBarrett 5
19. MattKnowles 5
19. squarekara 5
19. threearruda 5
19. Tybalteon 5
19. Vintsanity 5
29. acthomas 6
29. This is Aoba 6
29. xxaaaxx 6
32. floridagator 8
32. ihavejeoprosy 8
32. Quantum 8
32. Rackme32 8
32. wpwells 8
37. clprez 9
37. Coach P 9
39. bev nar 10
40. 1stlvlthinker 11
40. psgola 11
40. SenseiCAY 11
42. Guessonguessonguess 14
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

a one direction member was a co-sheep...LOL...and that isn't even the one dude in that group that i can name
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm Lets get the scoring started. I'm going to drop the original question into a spoiler box to make it easier to review the questions.
Austin Rogers - 1 point
Sims
<slow clap> This worked out amazingly well.