Monday, May 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda »

Manchester here - I got stuck thinking of recent films for some reason.

I agree those were really tough boards compared to other recent Teacher Tourney games (though Presidential Possessives seemed kind of dumb), and I agree that Larry and Claire could be contenders come next week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My initial guess was Chicago, but I was pretty sure it won more than 2 Oscars (and it did, winning 6). I stayed in the general area and thought of Fargo. I knew McDormand won, and figured it could have also picked up one for something like writing (it also got Best Original Screenplay). I never connected Wells-Fargo with the city, so it was a guess with no confidence, but I'll take it.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I couldn't get going on FJ. I ended up saying Pullman just on the off chance there was a movie about Pullman, WA I'd never heard of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm Any Canadian baseball fans flip the triple trap door switch? To me it was a strange TS as the gentlemen split the other four clues in WRECKING THE CURVE to demonstrate baseball knowledge.
More hilariously, it even gave Rogers Centre in the clue.

3rd Best Picture nominee in a row! :lol:

Another dead air FJ for me, trying to go all the way to the end and still came up short. They have got to pin these better. Also, I wouldn't have associated Wells Fargo with 'transportation' any more than I would Brinks or FedEx.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Yes, Earl, Hong Kong, Powhatan, Kurt Russell, (John Le Carre)

Ran Shape of Water, Presidential Possessives, Empires, and Literary Mashups.

:idea: For Lee, the cuckoo clock was invented be Franz Ketterer in 1738.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 pm Screw it, I'm putting this at under 15 now.
I count 4/20 for 20% and with the contestants it's down to 17% for still above 15%. Movie-related FJ! clues can play tough, but no matter the clue there will always be gets in that area especially on the J! Board.
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't really get the Wells Fargo connection even after Alex announced it - and I've seen The Music Man!
Fargo the movie is a J! perennial, but - I know this is dumb - I don't think of the place as a city, more of a town (I've never been there)...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Like most others, not a clue on this one. I said Stanford just to say something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I went for the transportation angle rather than the movie angle and came up with the stagecoach and then Wells Fargo maybe ten seconds in or so. I figured the Oscar bit would make this one easier, but early returns here aren't indicating that. Looks like I got a tough one!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 pm Screw it, I'm putting this at under 15 now.
I count 4/20 for 20% and with the contestants it's down to 17% for still above 15%. Movie-related FJ! clues can play tough, but no matter the clue there will always be gets in that area especially on the J! Board.
I will bend the curve down. Sometimes I will pause the think music and rack my brain to figure out a FJ but I wasn't even tempted here. I ruled out Chicago because it couldn't possibly be a notable person's name, probably an Indian tribal name or place name. I hear 19th century transportation and I think only of trains; horses are a few thousand years old transportation. Carnegie and Westinghouse, uh, what??

Game started with softballs, and then showed some of the player's history and lit knowledge. I NHO at least 8 of those volumes in the mashup category. OK game for a QF, and I'm glad the bettors didn't knock themselves out of the next round.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of my favorite movies, and I never even came close to guessing it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 pm ... I ruled out Chicago because it couldn't possibly be a notable person's name, probably an Indian tribal name or place name...
J! knows one famous Chicago surname person:
Spoiler
#6183, aired 2011-06-29 AMERICAN ART & ARTISTS $4,800 (Daily Double): In 1970 sculptor Judy Cohen legally changed her last name to this, the city of her birth
#5636, aired 2009-02-23 SCULPTURE $1600: "The Dinner Party" by this sculptor who shares her name with an Ill. city has 39 place settings for 39 historical women
#5466, aired 2008-05-19 20th CENTURY AMERICAN ARTISTS $2,000 (Daily Double): The feminist artist Judy Cohen goes by this last name, the city of her birth
#5211, aired 2007-04-16 BORN FIRST $1000: Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Judy Chicago
#4735, aired 2005-03-18 CONTEMPORARY ART $800: Her large installations "The Dinner Party" & "The Holocaust Project" have been published in book form
#3999, aired 2002-01-10 20th CENTURY AMERICAN ARTISTS $3,000 (Daily Double): The feminist artist born Judy Cohen in 1939 goes by this last name, the city of her birth
#3266, aired 1998-11-16 FEMINISM $1000: Title of the Judy Chicago art work seen here
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I got FJ! correct while Alex was was still reading... This despite the fact I am *not* a movie nut, *never* watch the Oscars, and have never seen that flick.

Highly-acclaimed movie with a city name for a title, a city named after someone associated with old transportation of some sort... I went down the list of small number of acclaimed city-named movies in my head (a very short list, luckily), hit on Fargo... "Wait, Wells-Fargo Wagon," BOOM! Done.

Being that I got it so quickly when it was in a very weak area for me, I figured it'd be a triple get. Not so fast, Bucko... I must have been lucky.

There were two correct "D" education phrases I'd never even heard of, and at least one of those stumped three teachers. Good job, Writers...
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Surprised myself with getting FJ in the first 10 seconds. I knew it had won at least one Oscar, and nothing else was coming to mind. The Wells Fargo connection sealed the deal.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good, solid game with generally good, solid wagering. The only strange TS was the one for the meaning of "hai" in Japanese.

Also, ugh, I missed another movie FJ (regardless of what the category title claimed). I got caught up in considering other answers, and Fargo didn't cross my mind. Went with "Selma", which was named in the 19th century...but not for a businessman, and was nominated for 2 Oscars...but only won one.
MarkBarrett wrote:Any Canadian baseball fans flip the triple trap door switch? To me it was a strange TS as the gentlemen split the other four clues in WRECKING THE CURVE to demonstrate baseball knowledge.
I'm usually terrible at Sporcle baseball quizzes, but I get 3-5 correct on the easy categories used on the show. I got 4/5 this time, and missed the TS. Which is a roundabout way of saying that for people with very casual baseball knowledge it was likely a significantly harder clue.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I rate this FJ as a tough one in any context. I went with the transportation angle but focused on railroads. Stanford? Vanderbilt? Nope. Who else was a famous railroad baron? Crocker? Harriman? Nope, got nothing. Bah.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:14 pm I couldn't get going on FJ. I ended up saying Pullman just on the off chance there was a movie about Pullman, WA I'd never heard of.
I, too, got stuck on the railroad theme; was racking my brain trying to think of a movie named "Huntington."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I spent my FJ time trying to come up with some city named for a railroad guy but could not think of a city called Pullman. I did consider Fulton, but there was no movie connection there. I guess you have to put something down, but it was odd two of them named cities named for a saint and the other was named for a state.

I thought of Wells at the last second, but time was up and it vanished from my mind. Maybe I'd have gotten Fargo if it had come to me earlier.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was a tough FJ. I was stumbling around the west coast trying to find a matching city, no way to get to Fargo in time. Hai and Skydome were surprising TS.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 pm I went for the transportation angle rather than the movie angle and came up with the stagecoach and then Wells Fargo maybe ten seconds in or so. I figured the Oscar bit would make this one easier, but early returns here aren't indicating that. Looks like I got a tough one!
Paralleled my thought process -- since the clue specified 19th century I first tried for transportation methods that didn't exist in the 18th and had died out by the 20th. Pony express? Nope, had to be stagecoach, went to Wells Fargo, and thence to the movie.

Unfortunately, the thought process took at least 45-60 seconds, so I'm going to count it as incorrect on the weekly poll. Darn.

On the western edge of Fort Collins is a street named "Overland Trail." Yep, the pavement runs along the route the stagecoach took to Laramie, merging with US 287 on the north side of town for the trip to the Wyoming border. There's even a historic site at an old stagecoach rest stop called Virginia Dale, the last surviving stage station according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Dale,_Colorado).

We often stop there for a leg stretch and to view the stagecoach ruts still visible not too far off the highway. I should have gotten it faster.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.