Tuesday, May 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7757, 2018-05-08

2018 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Rachel Niegelberg, an elementary school special education teacher from Trumansburg, New York
Bob Julian, a 7th and 8th grade social studies teacher from Phoenix, Oregon
Erika Eason, a K-12 technology teacher from Derwood, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure students all over America are relishing this time on our program. Once again, we're back in the Jeopardy! classroom to test the teachers. Rachel, Bob, Erika--good luck. Here we go. Categories today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEMORABLE MOVIE SCENES (4/5)
LET'S GET ORDINAL (4/5)
NATIONAL PARKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ROARING '20s (4/5)
FLAPPERS (5/5)
SPEAK EASY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Bob: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erika: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bob found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Erika had no money, Bob had $2,000, and Rachel was at $2,400. Bob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

NATIONAL PARKS $800: Of these 2 California parks, Ken Burns said one offers the biggest trees; the other, the tallest

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bob: $4,400
Rachel: $4,000
Erika: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rachel Niegelberg is a special education teacher from New York who has discovered that sometimes the students with the most significant disabilities are the ones who inspire you the most.

Rachel: Absolutely. Some of my students, it takes a lot for them just to be in a structured setting for six hours a day. So every day is full of obstacles, and they overcome them daily and inspire me.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Bob Julian, 7th and 8th grade social studies teacher from Oregon. You do something called "The Chant" in class. What is that? You all sing along or...

Bob: Yes, it's a sort of rap, and over the course of two years, the students in my class get--we learn every country and capital in the entire world through it.

Alex: And you put that into this chant, this song?

Bob: Yeah.

Alex: Every country in the world?

Bob: Every country in the world.

Alex: How many countries are there in the world?

Bob: I can't answer that question.

Alex: Oh, okay. I bet your students could.

Bob: Yeah.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Erika Eason is from Derwood, Maryland. Technology teacher...

Erika: Yeah.

Alex: Whose grandmother was your inspiration.

Erika: Yeah, my grandmother was my first teacher, actually. She, after I was born, got her early childhood certification, started a nursery school, so she could teach me and some other friends. Taught me how to read, taught me math, so she really was my first teacher and my first inspiration.

Alex: Does that mean you were homeschooled by your grandmother, or did you go to class?

Erika: Up until I went to kindergarten, so she was my teacher until I went to kindergarten.

Alex: All right, good inspiration.

Erika: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MEMORABLE MOVIE SCENES $1000: 1925:
In the Yukon, a starving Charlie Chaplin dines on one of his shoes, laces & all

LET'S GET ORDINAL $800: Andre the Giant & the Astrodome have been touted as this, adding to an ancient list
(Bob: What is the ninth wonder of the world?)
(Alex: No.)
(Bob: Ancient wonder of the world?)
(Rachel: What are the eighth and ninth wonders of the world?)
(Alex: Nn--)
(Rachel: Ancient wonders of the world?)
(Alex: No.)

THE ROARING '20s $800: Inspired by the composer's daughter, this song was a big hit in the 1920s

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $6,000
Bob: $5,600
Erika: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GENIUS: PICASSO (4/5)
THIRD LETTER "X" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MUSICAL KINGS (5/5)
SHORT STORIES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS (2/5)
BRAND LOYALTY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erika: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rachel: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Bob: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Erika had $5,200, Bob had $5,200, and Rachel was at $9,600. Rachel wagered $2,000.

THIRD LETTER "X" $2000: It's the proper term for someone who writes or compiles a dictionary
(Rachel: What is a lexographer?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Erika had $11,200, Bob had $7,200, and Rachel was at $10,400. Bob wagered $1,000.

SHORT STORIES $1600: A stone hit the unfortunate winner of this 1948 Shirley Jackson tale in the side of the head

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENIUS: PICASSO $1600: As a young man, Picasso lived in Catalonia with a friend, painting & avoiding service in this 1898 conflict
(Rachel: What is the Spanish Civil War?)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $1200: In 1908 he knocked out Tommy Burns to become the first black boxer to win the world heavyweight title

BRAND LOYALTY $2000: HMR Points, like for buying the book "Sarah and the Secret Sheikh"

SHORT STORIES $1200: "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut" & "The Laughing Man" are 2 of the "Nine Stories" put out by this author

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $1600: A year after his admission sparked a deadly riot, James Meredith became the first black graduate of this university
(Bob: What is Alabama?)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $2000: The first African-American to win a Pulitzer Prize, in 1968 she was named poet laureate of Illinois

SHORT STORIES $2000: Feline title of Kristen Roupenian's 2017 New Yorker story that sparked a debate over dating

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Erika: $11,200
Rachel: $10,400
Bob: $8,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Our regular viewers know that the winner of this tournament at the end of next week will receive $100,000. As many of you should know, Farmers Insurance awards $1,000,000 a year in their Thank America's Teachers grant program. The teachers are indebted to them, and we thank them also for their assistance in helping us put this tournament together.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LONDON LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Erika: Wager $9,601 to cover Rachel.
Rachel: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Bob, hoping that you give the correct response and Erika doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,001 to cover Bob's doubled score, but no more than $8,800 if you want to top Erika on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,199 and win if both Erika and Bob miss Final.
Bob: You ought to try wagering between $2,201 and $3,800. This will top a $0 wager by Rachel while still beating Erika and Rachel on the Triple Stumper (should Erika wager to cover Rachel's doubled score and Rachel wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Built in the 1990s, it's the only permanent structure permitted in London with a thatched roof since the Great Fire of 1666

FINAL SCORES
Bob: $8,200 - $5,800 = $2,400 (What is the Tower Bridge) (3rd place)
Rachel: $10,400 + $4,000 = $14,400 (What is the Globe theater?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Erika: $11,200 - $5,600 = $5,600 (What is the village inn?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $12,400, 20 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Erika: $11,200, 12 R, 1 W
Bob: $7,600, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 21/59 = .356
Bob: 17/60 = .283
Erika: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MEMORABLE MOVIE SCENES $600: 2013:
Satellite debris shatters a space shuttle & leaves astronauts in peril
(Erika: What is Apollo 13?)

THE ROARING '20s $400: During the '20s, this gangster's operations were said to rank in as much as $100 million a year

FLAPPERS $400: With males growing to over 5 feet, the world's tallest flying bird is the sarus species of this

FLAPPERS $800: Found in the northern U.S. during winter, it's the bird seen here making a touchdown

GENIUS: PICASSO $400: Living in Barcelona in 1899, Picasso befriended fellow artists & dodged police looking for these radicals against all government

GENIUS: PICASSO $800: Young Picasso was influenced by bullfighting & the pageantry of this southern region that includes Malaga
(Bob: What is Catalonia?)

GENIUS: PICASSO $1200: Many of Picasso's motivations are dramatized, like how the horrors of the Spanish Civil War inspired this masterpiece

THIRD LETTER "X" $800: What the soldier seen here is hiding in

THIRD LETTER "X" $1600: She's the queen of crabbiness seen here & on Hallmark greeting cards

GENIUS: PICASSO $2000: The suicide of a close friend in 1901 stimulated the emotional expressiveness of this period of Picasso's work
(Alex: And that Genius series airs on National Geographic on Tuesdays. It's a great series.)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $400: Her win for 2001 was the first Best Actress Oscar for an African-American

SHORT STORIES $400: This Washington Irving character had a real booze problem--after getting blasted, he slept for 20 years
(Bob: Who's Rumpelstiltskin?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sequoia and Redwood
The Gold Rush
the eighth wonder of the world
"Ain't She Sweet"
a lexicographer
"The Lottery"
the Spanish-American War
Jack Johnson
Harlequin
J.D. Salinger
University of Mississippi
Gwendolyn Brooks
"Cat Person"
the Globe Theatre
Gravity
Al Capone
a crane
the snowy owl
anarchists
Andalusia
Guernica
a foxhole
Maxine
the Blue Period
Halle Berry
Rip Van Winkle
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LONDON LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Built in the 1990s, it’s the only permanent structure permitted in London with a thatched roof since the Great Fire of 1666

Erika Eason: 11200-5600=5600
Bob Julian: 8200-5800=2400
Rachel Niegelberg: 10400+4000=14400 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Globe Theatre (Erika – Village Inn) (Bob – Tower Bridge)

Daily Doubles
Bob: 2000+2000
Rachel: 9600-2000
Bob: 7200+1000

Coryats
Erika: 11200
Bob: 7600
Rachel: 12400

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Erika: 2800
Bob: 5600
Rachel: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SHORT STORIES $400: This Washington Irving character had a real booze problem—after getting blasted, he slept for 20 years

It can happen to any contestant at any time and in this case Bob would wish that Rachel beat him to the buzzer to avoid being heard saying, “Who is Rumpelstiltskin?”

Ouch on the contestants letting the $1200, $1600, and $2000 clues in AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS go TS. I like to Chi McBride watching:
Spoiler
Not exactly this version, but credit to the bouncing ball for my knowing the old song:
Spoiler
You can learn a lot from cartoons.

The FJ! category had me using the break to try to recall places I’ve seen on TV show and movies as well as matching streets to industry I’ve learned from J! such as Carnaby and Fleet.

The clue had me thinking the only modern thing built I could name was the London Eye. Thatched Roof? No way. I reread the clue and tried the fire angle for the correct guess knowing the history of burned and rebuilt. If it had been a guesstimation game for the year of rebuilding I can only imagine how off I would have been from the 1990s.

After yesterday’s stumper I’ll take a get anyway I can get it including finishing my response with “-er” to match Rachel. Nice solve by Rachel to get the players off the schneid for solving FJ! clues this week.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

What would have been built with a thatched roof? Famously destroyed in a fire and rebuilt? Likely not used anymore for much besides being a novelty landmark? Got it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Wpwells wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm What would have been built with a thatched roof? Famously destroyed in a fire and rebuilt? Likely not used anymore for much besides being a novelty landmark? Got it.
This clue had me

Buninated!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bob and Ericka might have fared better on FJ had they seen Shakespeare in Love. Which brings us to Day 4 of a Best Picture winner/nominee connection in FJ clues.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm Which brings us to Day 4 of a Best Picture winner/nominee connection in FJ clues.
Fun, but a biiiit of a stretch. ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

The only 90s London landmarks I could think of were Vauxhall Cross and the London Eye, and the former at least has a roof.

Judges: Second sight instead of sixth sense?
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 pm
Not exactly this version, but credit to the bouncing ball for my knowing the old song:
Spoiler
You can learn a lot from cartoons.
I learned the melody cold from Looney Tunes. But never once the name or the words!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Dean Martin for 2000 when spotted Rat Pack and Ain't That a Kick in the Head? Blue period for 2000, and they even showed a bit of blue paint?!?! Wasn't thrilled with the DDs either. I'm glad Rachel recovered from the mispronunciation of lexicographer.

Instaget FJ, I thought it was a bit older but I knew they rebuilt it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I just said "The Globe". Judges?
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

Kind of wonder about the betting.

Erika Eason: 11200-5600=5600
Bob Julian: 8200-5800=2400
Rachel Niegelberg: 10400+4000=14400

Bob's bet if he gets it right is 14,000, not a bad tourney score, but hardly a lock. Erica's, if correct, 16,800 is pretty strong. What I always wonder though is why are they holding so much back? 2400 and 5600 rarely would advance you to the semi's and only come into play on a triple-stumper(though this would have been a decent category for that possibility). Seems to me that in a tourney setting with the possibility of a second chance, if you start at 12K or less, you should go big every time. Just guessing but it seems from my viewing the wild cards usually are 15K+(though that's just a rough guess).
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

I think this may have been my first real instaget FJ since I started watching J! regularly. The first thing I saw was "1990s" and about to give up, but when I read the rest of the clue, namely the "thatched roof" part, I knew immediately what it was.

I knew the Ain't She Sweet one because The Beatles did a cover of it which they recorded during their Hamburg days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWq_6tZpJMI

Still a great game, definitely not as tough as yesterday's game. Congrats to Rachel.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The only thing I could think of was the Millennium Dome. Couldn't picture it with a thatched roof, though...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

What happened with Eighth Wonder of the World? That seemed an inexplicable error.
FJ--guessed London Eye just to have something. Wasn't thinking about replicas. :?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My initial thought was Wembley Stadium because it was the only fairly recent London construction I could think of, but I figured there had to be a specific reason for a building code exception to be made, which led me to the Globe.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:57 pm I just said "The Globe". Judges?
I think you're fine.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 pm My initial thought was Wembley Stadium because it was the only fairly recent London construction I could think of, but I figured there had to be a specific reason for a building code exception to be made, which led me to the Globe.

My thought process exactly... well, with O2 arena instead of Wembley.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Wpwells wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm What would have been built with a thatched roof? Famously destroyed in a fire and rebuilt? Likely not used anymore for much besides being a novelty landmark? Got it.
They do perform plays there. It's an actual theater. Mostly Shakespeare, of course, but not all.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.