Tuesday, May 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Saturnalia wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:58 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:57 pm I just said "The Globe". Judges?
I think you're fine.
The correct name of it now is "Shakespeare's Globe", so if they accept Globe Theater, then they'd have to accept The Globe.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm The only thing I could think of was the Millennium Dome. Couldn't picture it with a thatched roof, though...
I thought of that too; I wasn't sure that "Dome" was the word that accompanied "Millennium," but that was the best I could pull up. Right name, wrong place. My dad was thinking out loud and said the word "replica"; he didn't have it, but once he said that I thought of the Globe and was pretty sure it was right. I can't count it as a get, though.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

My only worry with this FJ is that the new building might have some other name, but if that were the case, nobody would get it, so why not guess the Globe Theatre?

I'm not sure when they were completed, but it was funny to imagine the Gherkin or the Shard with a thatched roof.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I’m always interested in gauging the difficulty of the boards in this tourney vs that of a normal J! Game. What I notice is that I’m batting about .900 in bottom row clues these past 2 days whereas I normally get closer to .600 is n normal games. Instaget FJ. Thatched eoof in the ‘90s? WECIB? They even tossed in the Geeat Fire TOM
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eighth Wonder of the World, (Lexicographer), Spanish-American War, Jack Johnson, University of Mississippi, Gwendolyn Brooks

Ran African American Firsts.

:idea: For Bob, there are 197 countries in the world, but only 195 U. N. member states since Taiwan and Palestine aren't officially recognized. 199 if you count Greenland and Tibet which I personally don't consider as countries.
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Solid game, and while all three contestants were close at the end of FJ, in my view the best player was the one with the sole solve. Sure enough, Rachel did in fact have the highest Coryat.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 pm Ouch on the contestants letting the $1200, $1600, and $2000 clues in AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS go TS. I like to Chi McBride watching:
I only got the one for Jack Johnson, being a former amateur boxer and all. When Alex added in the flourish "The GREAT Jack Johnson", I immediately yelled back with "How the hell would you know?!" at my television.

Anywho, I got the FJ correct, and was puzzled by the two wrong answers.
davey

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 pm
Wpwells wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm What would have been built with a thatched roof? Famously destroyed in a fire and rebuilt? Likely not used anymore for much besides being a novelty landmark? Got it.
They do perform plays there. It's an actual theater. Mostly Shakespeare, of course, but not all.
The reconstruction as a working theater was famously spearheaded by an American actor, Sam Wanamaker. It took over 20 years and he died before it opened. Its first artistic director was Mark Rylance, who went on to win an Academy Award.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,800
51 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Eighth Wonder of the World, lexicographer (DD), Spanish-American War, Jack Johnson, University of Mississippi

FJ! was a good clue with plenty of TOM, but The Globe was not on my radar at all. Went with Wembley just to have something.

None of today's contestants looked nearly as strong as either of yesterday's two heavyweights, but maybe this just wasn't their board.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know they built a new Globe so I went off the years and said Millennium Tower.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

That "Eighth Wonder of the World" clue looked kind of familiar. :)

J!: Andre the Giant and the Astrodome have been touted as this, adding to an ancient list

TD 365: The Astrodome, King Kong and Andre the Giant are among a group that has been billed as this phrase that adds to an original septet
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FJ was an instaget, primarily because we went to London a few years ago. We had wanted to see The Globe, but couldn't fit it in. Did see it from the Thames on a river cruise, though.

Not sure if it would have clicked without the trip or not, though.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wpwells wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm What would have been built with a thatched roof? Famously destroyed in a fire and rebuilt? Likely not used anymore for much besides being a novelty landmark? Got it.
Exactly my line of reasoning. I blinked hard at first, then put the pieces together.

To me this was the 180-degree opposite of Monday's game, which for some reason may as well have been differential calculus in Klingon. Tonight, 45 right, to restore my faith in my own fading brain power.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Nice & Easy joins the "NHOI in the top box" pile.

I thought "sixth sense" and "eighth wonder" were easier than "third base" = "hot corner" or "fifth".

For some reason, I keep keep getting Yellowstone and Yosemite mixed up. Suggestions?

Brand Loyalty felt like a garbage category. No guess on the top two (can't say I recognize Jet Blue at all), got B-Dubs, negged with Ulta on the beauty one.

TIL Halle Berry is black.

Ran Third Letter X.

No guess on FJ! Had no idea that the Globe Theater still existed.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Plactus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm The only 90s London landmarks I could think of were Vauxhall Cross and the London Eye, and the former at least has a roof.

Judges: Second sight instead of sixth sense?
I can't remember the exact phrasing of the clue, but Mirriam-Webster online (https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... nd%20sight) defines it as "the capacity to see remote or future objects or events: CLAIRVOYANCE, PRECOGNITION." Other sources categorize it as "a type of extra-sensory perception."

Unless there was something in the exact phrasing of the clue that would eliminate it, I'd accept it. I think you could make a strong case if negged.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A friend of the Board shared this link with me of drone footage of the Globe: https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-sk ... 4246c18c8f

Stick with it as it cycles through numerous views.