The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

You have bobsled from Cool Runnings obviously at under 85% in the poll and I'll take the over. I have to poll it now just to see how it plays out. Your adjectives about the clue are as usual over the top. I can only imagine your reaction if a player had not got it right.

Your comment about the previous higher value clue placement gave me a new thought. What if the writers get a report on clues and how many players were ringing in on it?

"Hey guys all three players were attempting to ring in on that $1600 clue, so the next time you use that movie move it up on the board."

It was great seeing your comment about all of those other 1990s sports movies and knowing you have all of those in the rolodex. May I never have to revisit that list to show you do know about one of those movies.

Just for fun even though it's the 2000s (2002) and not the 1990s what sport is Like Mike?

Here is a previous clue about it:
Spoiler
#4273, aired 2003-03-12 BASKETBALL MOVIES $800: Pint-sized rap star Lil Bow Wow becomes an NBA superstar after finding some magic sneakers in this 2002 film
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 pm Okay, 5 is V. 50 is um... D, C, M, P, Q, no... uh... Oh! 50 is L. LV! Louis Vuitton! I got it!
Way to go! Great job not giving up!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm It stuck out to me as unnaturally obscure for the top box. Other than Candy, none of the actors in it seems to have done anything big. The director doesn't seem to have done anything big except the National Treasure movies. The producers are even more obscure, to the point that one of them doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I've never heard anyone clamor for it in throes of 90s nostalgia. Also, as I said, its only other Archive hits were much farther down the board.

Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
The Jamaican bobsled team--and Cool Runnings, the Disney comedy that portrayed the ragtag crew's improbable journey to the Olympics--were a cultural phenomenon. This is 100% top-box material.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:57 am This is 100% top-box material.
Agreed. My poll prediction is 90%.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:55 pm The British Museum is very famous and worth remembering. I have trouble on some of British Museum clues because they can be phrased to avoid the terms "British" and "Museum." They don't write "This British Museum has a collection of Egyptian pieces" because that would belong in the Stupid Answers category. When they write "This London collection has Egyptian pieces" it throws me off and I don't always get what they're looking for.

"Cool Runnings" is a movie you should go watch. It's about a bobsled team in Jamaica and the struggle they face to compete in a winter sport on an island with a tropical climate.
The British Museum is a bit of a misnomer, isn't it? It's really a collection of things "borrowed" by the Brits during their imperial phase.

Still a very cool place to visit but until you pointed that out about the Egyptian (and other foreign) pieces, I never really thought about the lack of anything actually British about the place.

And I couldn't tell anyone anything about Cool Runnings - other than it's about the Jamaican bobsled team. They only talk about it during every Winter Olympics.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:03 pm
And I couldn't tell anyone anything about Cool Runnings - other than it's about the Jamaican bobsled team. They only talk about it during every Winter Olympics.
It is a bit of a shopworn trope. I think there was a "first" women's bobsled team from (insert tropical nation here) this last Winter Olympics, which I saw nary a minute of. Don't forget Eddie the Eagle and the serial child abuse that is gymnastics (oops, that's Summer embarrassment) or the corruption that is figure skating and 4 years isn't enough time between these disasters of made up fake sports. Biathlon anyone?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 pm
Your comment about the previous higher value clue placement gave me a new thought. What if the writers get a report on clues and how many players were ringing in on it?

"Hey guys all three players were attempting to ring in on that $1600 clue, so the next time you use that movie move it up on the board."
I'd say the games show that the writers/producers spend a fraction of the time fretting about relative placement of clues that folks on this board do...
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:03 pm
Not even when Sanka has a hot water bottle in his spandex suit???

Derice: I can’t believe you’re still cold mon.
Sanka: Cold? I’m freezing my royal Rastafarian nay-nays off!

Cool Runnings rules. It should be mandatory viewing for all human beings.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:03 pm The British Museum is a bit of a misnomer, isn't it? It's really a collection of things "borrowed" by the Brits during their imperial phase.
I guess they're advertising the fact that the building that houses all those things is British.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 pm French + travel = uh... Verne.
Well done :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm not used to finding this thread on page 2. There are rules here of course. :)

Anyway, nothing about a J! game, but the TV show Superior Donuts instead. The owner of the shop announced they were out of "long johns." Based on context I knew it had to be something edible and was not clothing. I had no idea what to picture though. I found the answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_(doughnut) (not an appetizing image at all)

Hammer and others: Any other regional variations? It never hurts to learn something about a goodie. I agree with the article on the West Coast terminology.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm I found the answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_(doughnut) (not an appetizing image at all)
There's nothing quite like a donut with

*squints*

salmon paste on it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am
And with 121 having taken the poll, 109 indicate they got it right, for... 90%. I think that means you win double or something.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am
And with 121 having taken the poll, 109 indicate they got it right, for... 90%. I think that means you win double or something.
200 Quatloos!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm For some reason, I keep keep getting Yellowstone and Yosemite mixed up. Suggestions?
In this particular case, it was made very easy by including geyser in the clue
(US National Park with) geysers = Yellowstone
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm For some reason, I keep keep getting Yellowstone and Yosemite mixed up. Suggestions?
And I know that, but just like "Which of Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune is biggest", it blatantly refuses to stick in my head no matter how hard I force it.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm
And I know that, but just like "Which of Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune is biggest", it blatantly refuses to stick in my head no matter how hard I force it.
Maybe keeping the elements together? Known for water, named stone.

(The one known for famous rock formations like El Capitan and Half Dome is not named stone, though.)

I, also, have to hesitate when naming either park because I also tend to conflate the two names.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

You just listed them in order of size. If you know the order of the gas planets in the solar system, you already know their order in size from largest to smallest.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mungar wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm You just listed them in order of size. If you know the order of the gas planets in the solar system, you already know their order in size from largest to smallest.
And that's like the 20th time someone's told me that, too. But that fact just instantly evaporates from my mind.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

About Yellowstone and Yosemite - one way to remember which is which is by visiting them. Or just pick one - Yellowstone is closer to you. You're not likely to forget it after visiting.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Old Faithful is a geyser. It's in Yellowstone. Old has an L. Faithful has an L. Yellowstone has 2 Ls. Yosemite does not have an L.

or

Old Faithful is a geyser. Old Yeller is a dog movie. Connect it for Old Yellowstone?

or

You are standing on Old Faithful and it erupts. What do you do? Yell! So Yellowstone.

You have to find what works for you.