Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

this was a much better game to watch. congrats to dan on the win (and yeah, now that AP has pointed it out, i can't unnotice the jay bilas resemblance) and a really commanding performance. he was on a huge roll until missing that DD sort of killed all the momentum in the game—not just his, but all three players, who had something like $15k $5k $5k at that point (with 4 categories left in DJ!) and ended up with $13 $4 $2 after final.

i liked this FJ a lot. it's the opposite of yesterday's: something you're unlikely to know cold from the quote, but could work out based on the category and some logical reasoning.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's tough to judge Dan by this game since Mary and Eileen were not able to put up a great fight. Dan got the lock easily, but I suspect the margin should have been greater even with the 5000 lost on Quiet Harrison.

Sister Wendy got me and I'll blame Randy. I quickly looked for a famous nun and I did a time machine song/artist switcheroo to guess Dominique.

After Cobain and Harrison I was done in Rockers. I had a mental coin toss for Daltrey/Townshend off the Tommy TOM. No chance to get Lee.

The FJ clue had me with Gatsby for a precall. Hallelujah in the wording sent me right to Gantry and I felt confident I could lock that in since everything fit.

Eileen can be proud on the sole solve, but it would have been a better consolation to have added the extra thousand as a parting prize.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Man, I was dying to see that Dana Carvey show category. Carrell and Colbert surely would've been there, maybe Louis ck...surprised to even see it come up. If that can make it, I'll hold out hope for a 'Kids in the Hall' category when I finally get the call.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ was an instaget. They just can't get the balance down. They're either instagets or impossibles.
To me, the Quiet One was John Entwistle of the who. Yeah, Tommyland could've been anything, but No One Here Gets Out Alive I knew to be about Jim Morrison. The South Africa clues were all "what are our writers thinking of?" type of clues.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:Congrats to Jay Bilas on the win, but you look better clean shaven.

I actually liked this FJ - you can certainly REASON it out, though I'll grant it is much better known as a movie. I bet it was still "Elmer Gantry" in 2009, too.
I disagree. What sort of reasoning is required? "Name a religious title character of a 1920s novel." The only thing they didn't spot you was the author.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Is it me or are Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett one of those 50/50 clues, like Oxford and Cambridge, when they ask for an American frontiersman? I know one died at the Alamo, and one discovered the Cumberland Pass, but if you don't get that TOM, what do you go on?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

heisman65 wrote:Is it me or are Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett one of those 50/50 clues, like Oxford and Cambridge, when they ask for an American frontiersman?
Absent anything else, yeah, it is a 50/50.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

heisman65 wrote:Is it me or are Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett one of those 50/50 clues, like Oxford and Cambridge, when they ask for an American frontiersman? I know one died at the Alamo, and one discovered the Cumberland Pass, but if you don't get that TOM, what do you go on?
i got it based off the chronology. i think of cooper as an 1810s writer*, so i figured it would be boone rather than crockett since he was the earlier figure by some 50 years.

* turns out that the leatherstocking tales were written a bit later than this (1823-40). so it maybe could have been crockett. luckily for me**, it wasn't.

** not really. i don't even keep score, so who cares, right?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Those Africa clues were so looooooooooooong that my mind kept wandering away from the clue. How would I know that anthem was God Bless and not God Save? Seems like it could easily be either.
I don't even need to state the obvious that I got it, but I completely see your point, unless if you know Xhosa, it is a crapshoot, and I was a bit annoyed by that.

(BTW, over the last little while I've been trying to teach myself the words to the South African anthem so that I can sing along - it's the only anthem written in 5 different languages (2 lines in Xhosa, 2 in Zulu, then 4 in Sesotho, 4 in Afrikaans, and the last 4 in English), but then what do you expect from a country with 11 different official languages? - interestingly enough it's the Afrikaans part that's giving me the most problems (a few words there I can't figure out how to pronounce, luckily I have a (white) friend who grew up in South Africa and spent the first 20 years of his life there and still remembers a little bit of Afrikaans, he's helped me whenever I see him), the Xhosa, Zulu and Sesotho I've got down pat.)
Johnblue wrote:those S. Africa clues seemed Dr. Oz-ish. It really dullens the show.
Actually, that was my favourite part of the show (not just because the $200 was an uber-wheelhouse, it's because I find that country quite fascinating, it's always been high up on places I'd like to visit.)
MarkBarrett wrote:It's tough to judge Dan by this game since Mary and Eileen were not able to put up a great fight. Dan got the lock easily, but I suspect the margin should have been greater even with the 5000 lost on Quiet Harrison.
Actually, Dan had some quite impressive gets today (someone else has already enumerated them), so I don't think it was the "weak" opposition, but it was basically Dan's playing ability. I don't want to jinx it, but I sense bare minimum two more games to be won out of him (unless, of course, he's up against heisman65, then he goes down in flames ;) ), but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the TOC.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'd love to see S. Africa too but those clues were just awful. I guess I'm losing patience with the clue crew & the guest clue-givers. It's all Oprah's fault.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Austin Powers wrote:I thought the rock bios were pretty brutal myself - I think there needed to something more than just the titles for them. "Tommyland," for example, could be Tommy Lee, or Tom Petty, or a member of The Who. Just a do a simple reference - "He wrote 'Scar Tissue' and he sang it, too, with his band the Red Hot Chili Peppers." Etc. Must have been a time crunch with the writing since between that and the Prefix category they used about 25 words.
I thought that category was the steamiest of many steaming-pile categories in recent weeks. Somebody needs to tell the writers that they are supposed to make the clues challenging, but not mind-shtupingly impossible.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

heisman65 wrote:Agreed those rock memoirs were slim on TOMs, but No One Here Gets Out Alive is a Doors lyric, and George Harrison was known as the Quiet Beatle. I'll give you that Tommyland and the Steven Tyler one were tough...
I had to look up the Doors lyric..from a song I'm unfamiliar with(Five to One..and to be fair, I think most casual, non-completist, not so hardcore fans would never have known it without...what's that funny word that the writers never remember any more? Oh, yeah..context.) "But context iz, like way lame, man, not kewl like obtuseness!" :roll:
In fact, a better clue, breaking out of the stupid 'titles only' format, would have been to start with the title quote, followed by, 'from this singer-songwriter's 1968 tune, 'Five to One'.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Onairb wrote:"But context iz, like way lame, man, not kewl like obtuseness!"
"Because poor literacy is kewl!"

Had to do it.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm by no means a Doors completist much less a fan & I knew that one easily. That book was a massive bestseller years ago. The Steven Tyler autobiography is always in my way when I'm looking for good books at BJ's.
Sage on the Hudson

Men are from marsupials, women from Venus

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Those Africa clues were so looooooooooooong that my mind kept wandering away from the clue. How would I know that anthem was God Bless and not God Save? Seems like it could easily be either.
Since there was a subsequent clue about Southern African click languages being a subset of Bantu, I was surprised that Sarah wasn't coached in the proper pronunciation of Xhosa. It doesn't begin with a "k" sound.

heisman65 wrote:Is it me or are Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett one of those 50/50 clues, like Oxford and Cambridge, when they ask for an American frontiersman? I know one died at the Alamo, and one discovered the Cumberland Pass, but if you don't get that TOM, what do you go on?
It's the coonskin caps they supposedly both wore, and that each was played by Fess Parker in the 1950s. Beyond that, they don't have that much in common (Boone was born 52 years earlier, though he died only sixteen years after Crockett, whose life was, of course, cut short by General Santa Anna and his troops. Boone was a true frontiersman in he earliest days of the Republic, whereas Crockett was the product of a more developed age, serving in Congress and meeting his end at the Alamo).
buffalocell
Contributor

Post by buffalocell »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Oh, and what was up with the ladies' FJ wagers? The scores were $4,200/$2,000. So third place doesn't bet anything? Did you not even want to try for that extra grand. And why didn't second bet $201 to cover her.
I had the same thought you did, and I'm guessing that they were both just so disappointing and/or depressed with the way the game went that they just didn't want to bother risking anything. By the way, second doesn't need to bet $201 to cover, as betting $200 leaves the possibility of a tie, in which case both players get second place money, right? Why not try to sneak an extra $1,000 out of Sony's wallet on your way out the door and help out the player next to you if you have the chance?
I'm pretty sure that ties for second place are settled by the players' scores going into FJ, with the lower pre-FJ score getting the third place money. But otherwise, yeah, those were some puzzling $0 bets by the ladies. Maybe they were just happy to be there.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

heisman65 wrote:Is it me or are Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett one of those 50/50 clues, like Oxford and Cambridge, when they ask for an American frontiersman?/quote]
Usually Boone and Crockett are 50/50 for me, too, but I actually knew this particular clue immediately. An almost identical clue was used as the FJ for game 2 of of the finals of the 2003 Teen Tournament. John Zhang (who I played quiz bowl against in high school and is a Kentuckian) got the clue correct to win the tournament, and Tyler Allard wagered himself out of a lock and missed the clue. So I remembered that one.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

mennoknight wrote:Man, I was dying to see that Dana Carvey show category. Carrell and Colbert surely would've been there, maybe Louis ck...surprised to even see it come up. If that can make it, I'll hold out hope for a 'Kids in the Hall' category when I finally get the call.
Just be careful out there. Doing "I'm crushing your head" to Alex at any point during the tape day is a very high risk move.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

StevenH wrote:Tyler Allard wagered himself out of a lock and missed the clue.
Tyler was $200 shy of a lock. Only John (and not Anthony Valente in second place) should have been out of the running.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote:
StevenH wrote:Tyler Allard wagered himself out of a lock and missed the clue.
Tyler was $200 shy of a lock. Only John (and not Anthony Valente in second place) should have been out of the running.
Oops, my bad, thanks for the correction. I guess that the wagering error was just as heartbreaking either way, though.