Wednesday, May 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

An interesting tidbit about Ronan Farrow is that his actual first name is Satchel, in honor of Satchel Paige.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
41 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: either, Louisiana, Tennessee (DD), hitch, CBS This Morning, Ronan Farrow

I dread an opera category as much as the next guy, but I was able to grab onto Alpine --> Switzerland --> William Tell. I didn't have all that much confidence in my response, but a get's a get.

Pavlov I was proud of myself for getting: Mario Vargas Llosa = Peru.

It all worked out in the end, but I really think Judy should have gone all in on DD3.

Interesting that we got a clue about Ronan Farrow the same week he published yet another sexual assualt exposé that brought down a high-profile public figure.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

The old joke used to be that a highbrow is someone who could listen to "William Tell" and NOT think of The Lone Ranger. And of course a generation of kids grew up associating that "galop" with the galloping Silver in the opening credits to the old TV show. This was an easy-peasy get for the old guy.

What irony that the opera singer couldn't come up with it. With a score of $2,000 I imagine that Mary Alice has found her way out of the tournament. The fat lady is singing; the opera is over.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For anyone who still doesn't believe being Under the Lights affects you, Mary Alice is Exhibit #1.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DavidRosen wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm The four sections got it for me - I know the overture (for a non-musician). The storm and the calm were all staples of the old cartoons. And, of course, the famous last section.
^ This. Plus it helps that I have Spike Jones and the City Slickers on my playlists. :P

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am For anyone who still doesn't believe being Under the Lights affects you, Mary Alice is Exhibit #1.
I think being an expert in a field can hurt sometimes. An opera singer has a much bigger mental filing cabinet to sort through.

But she did seem a bit nervous during the game and I could tell she was struggling during the FJ music. I imagine Twitter is full of people who couldn’t pass the Kids Week text that are mocking her.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 am But she did seem a bit nervous during the game and I could tell she was struggling during the FJ music. I imagine Twitter is full of people who couldn’t pass the Kids Week text that are mocking her.
Also (sadly) quite true. Thank goodness the Twitterverse didn't exist when I was on; I only had to deal with my friends for my one bone-headed mistake.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So Gayle King of CBS This Morning was on Colbert last night...that would've been useful -yesterday-.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yes, interesting game dynamics. I got FJ from the Alpine TOM alone.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

William Tell crossed my mind, but I was hung up on thinking it sounded like Wagner, so went with Lohengrin instead. Had I remembered the "Lone Ranger" connection, galop may have helped, but I did not.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Either" can mean "each"? "Nothing" is a pronoun?

Hippo Ballerinas? I could've taken 400 guesses and not come up with "Fantasia".

Yes, I got the Carlene Carter clue.

...since when is William Tell an opera?! I had nothing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:58 am "Either" can mean "each"? "Nothing" is a pronoun?

Hippo Ballerinas? I could've taken 400 guesses and not come up with "Fantasia".

Yes, I got the Carlene Carter clue.

...since when is William Tell an opera?! I had nothing.
Since, oh, 1829.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I was curious about what opera Mary Alice was trying to get out at the end there, i.e., "La W ..."?? After a little research, my guess is "La Wally," which happens to have an Alpine setting as well. (Spoiler alert - things apparently end in an avalanche. Literally).

So, while I thought she inadvertently galloped over the word "Alpine" in the clue, it seems much more likely that in scrolling through the litany of operas that reside in her memory, she simply never got around to "William Tell" in time. A good example where knowing too much can actually be a bad thing in Jeopardy.

(And keeping with the recent movie theme - although not a Best Picture nominee - "La Wally" figures prominently in an early 1980's French flick - Diva).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:45 pm I was curious about what opera Mary Alice was trying to get out at the end there, i.e., "La W ..."?? After a little research, my guess is "La Wally," which happens to have an Alpine setting as well. (Spoiler alert - things apparently end in an avalanche. Literally).

So, while I thought she inadvertently galloped over the word "Alpine" in the clue, it seems much more likely that in scrolling through the litany of operas that reside in her memory, she simply never got around to "William Tell" in time. A good example where knowing too much can actually be a bad thing in Jeopardy.
I was wondering how frequently the actual opera is performed -- it's obviously more famous for its overture than the opera itself.

A quick look at the Metropolitan Opera yielded this - an 85 year gap between performances:
Oct. 19, 2016 -- But it’s a major statement for the Met to take on this long and challenging work, performed for the first time at the house since 1931 and the first time ever here in the original French. (How long is it? With two intermissions, the evening lasted nearly five hours, almost as long as “Tristan und Isolde,” which the Met had performed the previous evening.)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:45 pm I was curious about what opera Mary Alice was trying to get out at the end there, i.e., "La W ..."?? After a little research, my guess is "La Wally," which happens to have an Alpine setting as well. (Spoiler alert - things apparently end in an avalanche. Literally).

I was wondering how frequently the actual opera is performed -- it's obviously more famous for its overture than the opera itself.

A quick look at the Metropolitan Opera yielded this - an 85 year gap between performances:
Oct. 19, 2016 -- But it’s a major statement for the Met to take on this long and challenging work, performed for the first time at the house since 1931 and the first time ever here in the original French. (How long is it? With two intermissions, the evening lasted nearly five hours, almost as long as “Tristan und Isolde,” which the Met had performed the previous evening.)
I'm pretty sure I saw it performed in San Francisco in 1992 but I guess I'm getting old because I didn't remember that it was 5 hours and/or I simply left somewhere in the middle. Which may also explain why I remember very little about it other than the Alpine setting.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It is strange Alex gave the disclaimer about FJ being picked in advance during the college tournament but not here. The reason before was because people might think it was unfair because one of the players might not be Christian. Which never occurred to me because I have known Christians of all ethnic backgrounds and plenty of white non-Christians.

It just seems he’d have more reason to mention it in this game since the subject was directly related to something one player mentioned in her interview as being a former opera singer.